Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’m set on the embody, but I want one of the blue ones. Stalking Facebook marketplace it is

But also the white and red

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Got a Steelcase Leap v1 at home that needs a little work but is so much more comfortable than anything I've ever sat in at a desk.

My job is moving buildings in a few months and is basically acquiring all new stuff in the process, so I've asked about getting a new chair and inquired about a budget.

Boss: "Oh yeah I'm sure they can toss out $100 or something for a new chair. What were you thinking?"

Fuzz: "More like $1000."

Boss: :eyepop:

Fuzz: "We sit here for 8 hours every day and you were out all last season with serious back issues that you've said, repeatedly, were probably caused by your lovely chair."

Boss: :hmmyes:

So now we have a dream chair thread in Slack. I enjoy the Leap v1 I have and would be perfectly happy with another, but if I can try another fancy chair on someone else's dime then I'm gonna do it.

I'm not sold on mesh since I like something a bit more firm, but I also haven't sat in a nice quality mesh chair so my opinion might be skewed. I'm not big into high-backed chairs--one of the reasons I wanted the Leap v1 instead of v2 was the shorter backrest.

Any recommendations?

Also, comedy option, I find one as Supreme as my lovely, horse-obsessed coworker:

Just lol if you’re not stuffing your horse and turning it into a couch/chair using shell cordovan

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I got my embody today and I love it.

My delivery date isn’t until late June and I ordered it at the beginning of March

rip

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

TheGoonspiracist posted:

Sometimes the Goodwill near me ends up with things that shouldn't be there.

90s designer cream colored awesomeness for 13 bux.

For being light colored that chair is in amazing condition. I’d expect some discoloration or yellowing on a chair that old.

My embody gets here this Friday. My backbones are ready.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I've had my embody for a couple weeks now and oh my God is it amazing compared to the $200 mesh office chair I had for five years.

My coccyx is ready

I’m dropping whatever I’m working on when it gets here

I think it’s kinda wild how excited I am over an office chair. Younger me would beat my rear end

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

oh my gently caress this chair is so good

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

runawayturtles posted:

Wish I understood what everyone likes about the Embody. In the HM showroom it felt like there was barely any lumbar support compared to something like the Leap.

I'm coming to this from a six year old $200 who knows where it came from chair, so my experience may be skewed. But I'm 6'3" and this is the first chair that I can actually sit in properly with feet on the ground. It's glorious (and also probably my brain rationalizing this kind of money).

Oh and if you have toddler aged kids, the box it comes in is basically a playground. It's a hell of a cardboard fort.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm the mismatched monitor in an otherwise fancy af setup

Yeah, I agree tbh, but the ultrawide is the first monitor I got that was basically top tier and also bought for me by a parent who’s passed so it’s hard to get rid of.

Side note: that desk is like a $70 Amazon special and it makes me laugh when I think about the $ amount that’s screwed into that particle board/reliant on particle board not breaking. Gotta rep my white trash heritage somehow

The keyboard is also too close for me to see the last 30% of the leftmost monitor, so a desk update is irritatingly in order, but Jesus gently caress are nice desks expensive. Says the guy with an Embody. But the Embody is for my spine. A desk just… holds poo poo.

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'm talking about people buying HM Aeron/Mirra/whatever because they "look cool" and then complaining they are uncomfortable - when they should have been eyeing the "boring" but dependable, comfy and decent looking office master cop chairs all along. :colbert:

I mean you’re prob right, but my previous chair was an Amazon special so yeah, anything would be a massive step up

TenementFunster posted:

wall mounts are bad for both TVs and monitors because they enable/encourage mouthbreathers to mount the things way too high

My Embody actually lets me sit at eye level with the top of my monitors now

I’ve adjusted all the things

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 8, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Double post, didn’t realize I was in the same thread

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This was actually what I tried first - whilst they do roll okay, they're actually way worse than the regular double wheel plastic casters it came with when it comes to them turning. I think it's these which have been causing the damage when I've tried to move the chair in a direction that has required the rollerblade caster to swivel and it's pulled at the fibres.

Whilst I appreciate a hard mat is going to be the best option I'm just not ready to give up the feel of carpet under my feet - it's been years that I've been missing it so I figure I'll just go that route if/when it gets damaged enough.

Why don’t you just position the mat so your feet are on carpet under your desk and the chair stays on the mat?

Side note:

I was looking at other Herman Miller stuff and holy what in the loving gently caress are they charging $9k for a loving lounge chair for

Does the Eames… *do* anything?

I get an Aeron or Embody because ergonomics matter but goddamn. A lounge chair? $9k? The gently caress

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

looks great in my living room, makes a hell of a cat bed, and lets fancy art people know that i have more money than they do

i make sure to flip over the ottoman to show off the eames authenticity medallion on the bottom if anyone implies it’s a fake.

It looks like it would be really easy to reproduce for a fraction of the cost.

I was looking at some of the materials they have for it too and lol at some of the leather being pebbled— that’s trash tier leather that someone would pay $9k for.

I get charging (and paying) a premium for something that keeps you from getting Lowtax spine, but charging a bigger premium for what appears to be an okay lounger is just… wut

I gotta figure out how to get in on that level of grift someday

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Zarin posted:

drat, I've understood the concept for as long as I can remember but I was never introduced to the term before! Today I learned.

Yeah, same. I’d never heard the term.

Imagine how empty life has to be that you’ve got to buy expensive things because… they’re expensive

I get flexing on pinky up types like TF is doing, but goddamn. What a waste.

Sorry for the derail, I’m done

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

TheGoonspiracist posted:

The only knock off I'd buy is the aircraft one and it looks like it's not being made anymore.

This is the most recent Eames I had to repair.

Someone had already used some drywall screws on it.

They usually break on the shock mounts, or they sheer off on the dog ear part.

I replaced all the mounts on it and it turned out as good as I can hope for, but I hate that I can't guarantee the repair even using HMs parts because the mounts are literally just epoxied on at angles that cause the plywood to sheer off sometimes.

$9k and it’s… glued together? Jesus gently caress

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't get into a modern airliner if you don't like adhesives

Good enough for 9/11, good enough for me :colbert:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

adeadcrab posted:

I’ll let you know when I move onto the next one.
And yes it’s top grain leather on the back and seat, the black is all PU leather

Yeah, not to poo poo on you because I mean, you do you — but those are all made by the same two or three companies. They make chairs for whatever company wants to sell chairs with their branding on them. Cool that you got leather though, that might last a little longer; I hope you got a solid deal.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are some companies that actually do make their own gamer chairs instead of relying on the same OEMs as everyone else, and they are genuinely better than their competition (Secret Lab is one), though they are obviously not in the same league as high-end office furniture companies like herman miller

Well, poo poo.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Someone has a “I totally slipped and landed on the shampoo bottle” ER trip in the future

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Mirthless posted:

Managed to get a basically unused Steelcase Leap v1 from a thrift store locally for $20; only wear was some scratches on the armrest, probably from being moved in and out of storage. The gas cylinder was stuck initially but after sitting in my garage for a couple of weeks, I think the heat and humidity loosened it up a bit, because it seems to be adjusting again without any problems. There's definitely some aging problems (the ship date on the bottom indicates this is a 22 year old chair) - it's leaving a bit of residue behind on the carpet and sinking occasionally. I think I am going to try cleaning it up and adjusting the set screw to see if that helps, but even if I have to replace the gas cylinder I'll still have paid less than a hundred bucks.

I've been working out of cheap office chairs for years and they greatly accelerated my scoliosis, I was pretty prepared to shell out for new but this one has the sense of accomplishment that comes from getting a really, really sick deal :911:

That chair looks like it’s in ridiculously good condition for being 22 years old. Sick deal for sure.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

Oh. So that's why my chair suddenly started tilting back and forth so easily.

Well, for about $75 total, I got, like... three months out of an Aeron. Cool I guess. And now I have a spare gas cylinder, new in the box, for a chair that I don't like and probably can't repair. At least the cylinder was a free replacement.

$75 is pretty cheap as far as things like this go.

I’d try epoxying it.

If gorilla tape doesn’t solve your problem, you aren’t using enough of it

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

the embody doesn’t have the lip, obviously, and you can adjust the seat depth to you liking

It literally rolls up and is dope as gently caress

I giggled when I realized that the seat actually rolls up

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I just love how absolutely huge the embody seat can get when fully extended. I can sit cross legged and I'm a 6'3 man.

Literally same and having my feet flat on the ground without stretching my legs out owns

TenementFunster posted:

it’s so excessive yet so essential. i don’t know how i lived without a retractable rear end pad.

i’m the same height and i have the butt rolled all the way up. you’ll pay $1500 for the seat, but all you need is the edge!

your post had me

on the edge of my seat

E: I’m gonna try it rolled up and see if it encourages me to sit with my back pressed against the lumbar support more for better posture and poo poo — I’m not sure how people get/need the additional lumbar support option. What it comes with is p solid imo

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 29, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

codo27 posted:

Thats an interesting keycap layout. gently caress pull out keyboard trays for all eternity though

i never pull out, friend

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Inner Light posted:

Did you all get used or new Embodies? Thing is like $2000+. I gotta visit some stores soon and see if I want to upgrade from my used Aeron, maybe I can sell it on FB for around what I paid.

I’m a work from home IT nerd who doesn’t spend a ton of money, so it made sense for me. All it took was thinking about some of the back pain patient I dealt with when I was a pharmacy tech and yeah. Hard pass.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Trabant posted:

Howwww? According to the dimensions listed on their site, the Embody seat depth maxes out at 18". I'm 6'4" and need a chair that has something like 21" of seat depth. I've tried the Aeron C at the HM store only for the salesman to go "... huh, I don't think we can really help you." Same thing with the Gesture, and an assortment of cheapo chairs. Nothing loving works for me. And it's not like I'm all legs either.

Think I'll have to buy a no-name big & tall, just for the seat depth rather than the width. Some 21" deep and 35" wide chair or something.

I guess it depends on whether your height is in your legs or torso, but at 6’3” it’s just right for me when at max height.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Nohearum posted:

Been considering a new chair and sat in an Embody tonight. I wanted to like it but I feel like it was pushing my upper body forward. It almost felt like I had the forward tilt mode engaged from an Aeron or something. Is this to be expected?

The following are adjustable on the Embody:

Tilt resistance
Width of arms
Height of arms
Length of seat (it literally rolls up to be shorter)
Lumbar support
Height

I would guess that the tilt resistance was too stiff for your taste; if you get the resistance right, it’ll be where you like it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

dew worm posted:

Thoughts head rests? I found a place selling used Steelcase chairs for $200-$300. I believe they were the amias and V1.

They felt very nice but none of them head rests. I’m wondering how useful they are for sitting 8+ hours a day.

I remember thinking that someone was legitimately insane when they said a headrest didn’t matter with the embody and they ended up being absolutely correct. No headrest is needed, whatever it is, there’s something about it that makes me sit in a way that my head doesn’t fall back in a way that I’d need one.

I’ve legit had back to back 16 hour computer touching work days in my chair with zero discomfort — I will Stan for this loving chair forever (and that’s not to justify the stupid amount of money that I spent on it, but because it’s honestly as comfortable at the end of the day as it was at the start).

To be clear: when you first sit in it, it’s just pretty good. Definitely not full price good. But the thing is, it’s consistently and unerringly good for endurance sitting. It’s also good if you’re a little taller (I’m 6’3” and having my feet flat on the ground in a natural position is still amazing to me) If you’re in your chair for full work days, I would incredibly strongly recommend this chair.

please tell Herman Miller to send my check soon, tia

im just happy I get to sit like a normie with no pain now ok

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

dew worm posted:

Thanks, the embody is out of my price range but I think I need a chair with a high back. My issue is foraged head posture.

Yeah, I hear you — the cost is a lot.

I’m just saying if you see a used one near the range you’re looking at, jump on it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

Maybe I missed this and this isn’t new but I saw an ad for Herman Miller Vantum:
https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming-chairs/vantum-gaming-chair/2546179.html?lang=en_US

I’ll believe that it’s for gamers when I see anti-slouching devices, stain resistance and a Cheeto proof finish. An odor eaters partnership wouldn’t hurt either tbh.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

it is also loving amazing

It seems like a deal*, all the base embody features for $100 less than the base model.

*for a chair you’re going to keep for decades — that costs less per year than any other office chair over it’s 12 year warranty if you plan on keeping it until the heat death of the universe

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

my hat is off to you for being brave enough to spend ~$1300 on a white fabric desk chair

That’s how I read it at first too, but I think he got the white *base* and the seat is midnight.

I almost got the white base too but let’s be real, I’m a goon and that poo poo is gonna be covered in cum, tears and cheeto dust in a week and I’d rather only have to clean it when the filth gains sentience (again)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

please dont doxx me

mods

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

fart_man_69 posted:

Had an opportunity to try an Embody. Not mindblowing as I'd hoped for, just nice. Ordered a Haworth Fern for half the price, will be interesting to see how it compares.

The thing about the embody is that it it’s the same level of nice 16 hours later as it was when you first sat in it (and that you can adjust it to be however you want). You’ll be underwhelmed at first but for Serious Endurance Desk Sitting there’s nothing better I’ve found

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Methanar posted:

I spend 16 hours a day sitting in my computer chair and I'm tired of sitting in awful ikea and amazon basics garbage.
I'd like something that works well for both work and gaming uses.

What's the current recommendation for about 200 dollars. I can go up to 300 if my options become significantly better.

I have some hesitations about these 500 dollar plus 'pro chairs' I sometimes see. Like secretlabs or aeron. Can a chair really be worth 500 dollars?
https://secretlab.co/products/titan-evo-2022-series?sku=R22PU-Classic

I am not wealthy; I paid slightly under retail for my embody (a chair that can be $2000) and would do so again with zero hesitation. Nothing better for endurance sitting. Seriously, look at the posts mentioning it in the thread.

It makes more sense when you think about the cost of medical treatment once you have a back/leg issue vs just buying a chair that is perfect for you. It has a 12 year warranty and there are plenty of people online who have had them for a long time.

My in laws have two Aerons that are in basically perfect shape with heavy use after 15 years as well — I can’t attest to how they are with endurance sitting, but they seem to be great chairs.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

So it is.

It's also a literal thousand American dollars more than this one cost, though, so... yikes?

If you sit for your job the majority of the time, bite the bullet. That’s a whole lot cheaper than back pain, buying a $300 chair every couple years, etc etc, oh and a 12 year warranty and a spine that isn’t lowtax tier. Alive lowtax tier.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

this thread chair-pilled me and i'm buying myself a herman miller for christmas.

This guy is an all-star poster in the GPU thread and have saved goons literally thousands of dollars, if there’s a goon butt worth an Embody it’s this guy’s

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Whitest Russian posted:

You'll enjoy it, it's a good chair. You get it fully assembled in a big-rear end box.

Since I never see it mentioned on here, I think the HumanScale Freedom is a good chair too. I was considering getting it but the headrest kept digging into my shoulders even at it's highest setting. I'm 6' for reference.

If you’ve got young kids they’ll love that loving box. We have like five small children (6 and under at the time) in our immediate-ish family and their reaction to the box was worth the price of the chair.

I cut holes in the box and they turned it into a fort/bunker that was in our living room for a month. It was dope.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

Are... are you not sure?

It was more deciding where the cutoff was for “immediate-ish” cousins hits ten on my wife’s side before we even consider the ferals on my side of the family.

It’s a lot of kids.

But yeah, the Embody comes in the best box I’ve ever seen. Even at 37 I wanted to make a fort out of that poo poo.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

stump collector posted:

I don’t know what the issue is, if I dont know how to dial the Embodys settings in, or if my posture has always been completely poo poo, but its working me over

My posture was poo poo. It kinda encourages you to sit properly. Feet flat on the ground, back curved naturally.

Can you be more specific? Some goons might be able to give you advice if you can detail what you mean by ‘working you over’

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Early impressions of the Embody: it's like this thing was made specifically for me. It's perfect. I'm now a convert to the church of Herman Miller.

Welcome, brother. May it’s adjustable cushions bring comfort and support to your spine and leg parts. Praise be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

We need an embody gang tag

A spine resting on a pillow made of $100 bills