Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I don't know who any of these people are, but I vote A

INFORMED VOTING :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Trundel posted:

From a couple of pages back, but I have to say how much I love Hooman's remap. I've found that after getting into Battletech it can be a little difficult to figure out elevations sometimes and that colour-coded map is perfect.

Agreed! Most helpful for those of us watching at home.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Voyager I posted:

I am sorry for your family, PTN.

Also, that height gradient is a godsend.

As someone without much in the way of BT experience, the elevations have been impenetrable to me throughout the thread, which in turn makes it really hard for me to parse the maps as a whole and really understand what's been going on. The simple gradient map makes a huge difference and I can actually read the terrain in a way I simply haven't been able to before. I also enjoy the strategy chat part of the thread much more when it doesn't take me 15 minutes of detailed examination to figure out that holy poo poo a hill exists.

Please keep doing this, and the subtle green shades are very attractive while also being intuitively readable.

I echo all of these sentiments fully.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

At long range, it's -3 to hit at reduced damage
At medium range, it's -2 to hit just like a standard pulse laser
At short range, it's -1 to hit and higher damage

Somehow I thought the to-hit bonuses were reversed, still, a pretty versatile and potent weapon.

E:

Neat! The change makes sense.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 2, 2014

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I don't really understand any of the political manoeuvrings, aside from realising they're happening ALL THE TIME. Oh, and that things are pretty much always about to get interesting. (I've played mechwarrior a few times and I can name the houses and a few clans and guess at their stereotypes, that's it.)

Explanations are always very appreciated.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

- Defeat as many enemy `Mechs as possible (0/39 defeated)

This should be good.

So this is Clanners vs. Level 3 IS Tech?

We will all die, screaming.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Subterfrugal posted:

I'd like to think that the fate of the Inner Sphere hangs in the balance between his mustache twirling and Duncan Marik's wiggling eyebrows.

This is going to be fun!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

PTN, this is just fantastic and incredibly amusing to read. Would it be possible (in future updates) to clearly separate the clan and RWR mechs, at least in the shooting phase?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Everything is on fire! :neckbeard:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

A and A.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Maximum hype indeed.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Voyager I posted:

I'm telling myself that my character is so focused on murdering people because...

Hopefully your character is going to be focused on munition conservation in the future.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I somehow misread the sheets and thought you had fired off 10% of your ammo load that turn. I don't know how.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

This certainly looks like an interesting scenario.

I realize this is something easily said for PTN's creations.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I don't think "unless already destroyed" is a valid condition? Doesn't all firing for a side get declared at once?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Indirect-Fire Artillery Phase
- Mobile Long Tom fires a shell at hex 3115 (4 base + 7 indirect fire = 11): rolled 10, Margin of Failure 1! Shell scatters 1 hex!
- - Shell lands in hex 3414!

Sorry, how is 3115->3414 only one hex of scatter?

Otherwise, very entertaining and interesting!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

B

I think.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Is ComStar and the clans (okay, only some of the clans) actually going to be the good guys (tm) here somehow, or is this all just maximum awesome?

I don't understand battletech, except for .

E: Wait Caesar is a Steiner so it really is maximum awesome!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

They all sound great though! I don't know which to vote for!

C

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Kial posted:

Flippy arms! Very sneaky.

No character will ever expect it!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What possible purpose does mounting an HPG in a mech serve? Surely a vehicle, dropship or spacecraft would be more sensible.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Endomorphic posted:

Give a number of fucks equal to the occurrences of the word "naval" in the name of the weapon.

Wouldn't it be the inverse number of fucks? Or something?

Also isn't the dropship still in the air? I imagine suddenly losing their fusion torch would perhaps be undesirable, given they're a few dozen metres up in the air.

No really, don't shoot the dropship. It will ruin you.

Hell, the rainbow squad is already likely to do a sizeable fraction of ruin you.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Stackpole was paid by the publishers for this, right? Not the other way around?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Keep the turrets in reserve, this fight has barely begun.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

TildeATH posted:

This is gold. You are gold. I wish you'd done them all, and Xarbala had illustrated it.

Seconded.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Scintilla posted:

... It has flippy arms, so I'll take some fire, ...

I think you mean:

Scintilla posted:

... It has flippy arms, so I'll be utterly amazed when it opens fire at targets behind it ...

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Someone can probably make a better version, but this is suitable for an avatar.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

PTN you magnificent bastard, I've read your THREAD! All...fourteen hundred and eighty-three pages thus far. ...for the third time.

What? That's a thing people do?

E: \/ \/ \/ True, but there's a load of difference between re-reading PTN's updates, and the entire thread. That difference is 1337 pages, ~53780 posts. Fifty three thousand posts!

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 27, 2016

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

The same way any others do, they're weapons systems designed and built in the space 80s.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

thetruegentleman posted:

Ordinarily, I'd say that capturing one clan-conquered planet's worth of clan technicians couldn't possibly have given them enough people to both run the network *and* develop new weapons, but since the Cappellans went through the trouble of capturing all of the Comstar facilities, it only makes sense that they have some way of getting them functional, so :shrug:.

Maybe Dr. Wily built Coms Man at the same time he built his Mech Robot Masters.

I feel like I missed something;

Why was 'The Society' (or the PTN equivalent) on this planet the Capellans captured?
And why was there more than a small expedition of them there?

How they were convinced to join is obvious. Warcrimes, the threat of or opportunity for, as appropriate.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

So these soldiers had cervical vertibrae removed when they joined the unit or what?

Or, added maybe? Looking at what I assume is their elbow, it puts the shoulder in a bit from the leading edge. That's some neck.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

The main objective is still to make sure as many Revenants are loose in the Clan's rear area as possible, not necessarily to wipe out the airfield yourselves.
Wiping out the airfield yourselves is just a nice perk.

(Also likely impossible since it's guarded by three times your number of mechs plus infantry and possible vehicle support.)

E: \/ \/ \/ In this weather?

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 1, 2016

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I'm imagining that big yellow 'turns remaining' banner is the time available, not the time it will take rooting around in that mech's innards to find the pilot, correct? Standing in the same hex for three turns, even if you're allowed to keep firing, would be an absolute death sentence.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I think PTN uses physical dice most of the time. They contain the thirst and hate better that way.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Wouldn't the clans consider some of the things posters are asking for (Ie, an entire dropship or larger spacecraft, or Clantech memory core) at considerably higher worth than three stars of battlemechs, thereby putting our brave mercs at an equally considerable disadvantage?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

All true, but that's what the thread is here for; Advice.

Seriously though, you're in a pretty mean machine that can absolutely ruin the enemy. Get stuck in there.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

A

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Note the Clanners brought their techs with them, too.

I thought they only brought in a handful of techs?

I would imagine the bare minimum of maintenance is at least one dedicated technician per mech?

E:

Latest Story section posted:

A trio of tired-looking Clanners with dark rings under their eyes sat on the Victor’s left shoulder...

Possibly there were other techs, but this surrender is most likely a net burden on the limited maintenance assets directly controlled by the Demon Hawks. Good think they've got all that support from BEST SPACE EMPEROR President Amaris.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 11, 2016

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Shoeless posted:

1 tech+4 astechs for ~60-90 minutes of work per day is enough to cover maintenance of a mech, iirc. The exact amount of time depends on weight class. And yeah they only brought a few techs but that's still gonna be useful for the Demon Hawks if they get them as well, since maintaining clan equipment is a right bitch for IS techies.

5-7.5 hours of work, per day, per machine, just for regular maintenance. Combat support and munition resupply, nevermind repairs or replacement of damaged components/limbs etc is probably an order of magnitude more.

Good thing we hired those techs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Shoeless posted:

Where does it say that it's 5-7.5 hours of work per day per machine? ...

Shoeless posted:

1 tech+4 astechs for ~60-90 minutes of work per day is enough to cover maintenance of a mech, iirc. ...

5 people for 60-90 minutes is 5-7.5 person-hours of work. Not looking up anything in Battletech-RPG sourcebooks or anything, just imagining the potential maintenance load of these (also imaginary) science-fantasy warmachines.

I'm sure there's some famous quote or other about soldiers winning battles, but logistic and supply officers winning wars. Or the equivalent. Given in Battletech it's all space-eighties and the like I imagine there's a lot of hand-waving going on in places.
(Or authors just not being very clever to begin with. Wasn't the concept of 'a collection of jumpships running relay' touted as an incredibly potent strategic advantage?)

I much prefer PTN's work, but the absurd nonsensical stares the 'Let's Read' segments have evoked are amusing. Any plan to do another novel like that anytime soon?

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 11, 2016

• Locked thread