Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
You guys are talking about how space AT&T might play it as team war crimes nuking their base, but there is another more straightforward possibility. Comstar could simply point to the smoking crater as a warning against any who might think their power is waning. There are Comstar bases on every planet worth a drat, if even a fraction of them have a nuclear deterrent then it is a very bad idea to pick a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Red Corsair. Let's set the stage for a long term alliance between the FWL and the Steiners.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

sheep-dodger posted:

What's the inheritance status for Melissa like? Is she, as in the canon, heir apparent to the Commonwealth, or only Skye after its secession?
Because I'd like both the option of the Free Worlds Commonwealth (Free Commonwealth? Free and Lyran Worlds League?) as a counterpoint to the Draconis Suns and the option of an accession of Skye to the FWL.

The Commonwealth of Free Worlds as the leading economic power, Draconis Suns as the military power, and the Capellan Confederation as the secretive technological power makes for a reasonable balance.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

They eat a huge chunk of their neighbors and then say "Yup, we're satisfied with this. Have fun murdering each other you idiots."

It's funny that in this setting having attainable and realistic goals is seen as weakness. Considering the costs of war they're probably the only ones to come out ahead in that entire period.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Okay so for those of us who know little about Battletech outside the videogames and this thread, someone mind giving a bit of background on what the Society is? My initial guess is a technocratic revolutionary movement in the clans?

Also, is that command and control gear as scary as it looks at first glance? I mean it looks like it just flat makes 2/3 of all equipped mechs Ace.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Are the Capellan Power Rangers loyal to him over the CapCon now? :ohdear:

Update said :science: was given complete authority to requisition personnel and equipment as he saw fit. So at the moment there is no conflict of loyalty.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Fraction Jackson posted:

:words:

No matter what it'll be entertaining considering who's running it. Win? That's awesome. Lose? We get to see what the landscape is like without Morgan Kell/Salome Ward, Carlos Marik, Dusk Moffat, Caesar Steiner, Jenna Clay/Melissa Steiner, et. al.poo poo has consequences either way - even wins can have bad consequences. If the DC's hadn't escaped their campaign, the experimental units here wouldn't be around to fight you. And so on.

:words:

This is where your whole argument falls apart. Who could possibly think these are bad consequences?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Naww, not even close. Off the top of my head there's a Play By Post thread that has been active since the middle of 2007.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

I'm guessing extensive experimental cybernetic augmentation is responsible for the sudden drastic increase in Id's abilities here. Probably not the well tested and safe kind, thus explaining why they weren't used already.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Plot moving forward and yet still in a ridiculously unstable and violent state. Nicely done PTN.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

I know, I know, two dimensional representation of three dimensional space, but it certainly looks like the Amaris clan was planning their defense against the clans for a long time. There are scattered outposts all around the periphery. They're either listening posts so Stefan can track clan movements, or staging grounds to screw with resupply attempts. Either way, some clanners are in for a surprise.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

TildeATH posted:

I think I speak for us all when I say my only hope is that PTN is playing the "Sane Mariks" just long enough to make the inevitable Marik Clusterfuck even worse.

I rather like everyone acting generally like people instead of dumb caricatures meant to fit their assigned narrative role. There is already a great deal of tension involved in their current scenario without the Mariks suddenly sabotaging themselves.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

1: C
2: C, F
3: B
4: B
Sink or Swim.

Any company that comes out of this alive is going to have an ironclad reputation. It's the biggest gamble these poor idiots will ever take, but the potential payoff is a long and successful career.

Tran fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 11, 2016

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

VVV Nah, I doubt they need anyone on staff who's skill set means their job is "write scenario dialogue, bring the people who can program coffee"

Never underestimate the need for a good coffee fetching intern.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

goatface posted:

They may not want anyone, but they probably need one. Software houses refusing to admit that their "creatives" are terrible writers is the most common gently caress up in the world of gaming.

Harebrained Schemes actually has a career game writer on staff. They don't pull the indie gaming 'programmer as writer' thing. I mean they might benefit from additional scenario and dialogue writers, but it's not for lack of professional staffing.

Tran fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 12, 2016

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

I'm guessing that means Andurien won then? With the SLDF drab green being the wolverines or whatever abjured clan we saw earlier.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Dolash posted:

Expanding on this for fan-fiction of a fan-fiction fun. Amaris is disappointed with the high attrition rate of his Revenants and tracks down the Inner Sphere's six best hackers. Each of them gets one Revenant to program and the six-bot team is sent on an evaluation mission, with the best-performing mech's programmer being elevated to chief system architect for the Revenant v2s. Maybe Hogarth the script up a bit so the mission goes awry and the nerds have to survive behind enemy lines and learn valuable lessons about teamwork.

I have no idea what the state of programming knowledge is in the rest of the Inner Sphere, considering even most backwoods still seem to make use of digital technology and office equipment. Presumably anyone too good would be under pressure to join Comstar or else. Actually, I guess considering Amaris's connections to Comstar, "or else" could actually mean shipped out to the fringe of the Sphere to work on a secret supervillain's military AI project, so that might've already happened.

Rather than subjecting PTN to that horror of if/then statements, just have participants build bots in Carnage Heart or the like, then run their chosen programs to see how it shakes out.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Given snow raven's love and respect for fliers, will they be driven apoplectic with rage if we interfere with their "honorable warrior's duel" in the dogfight? If so, why aren't we placing crew served anti-aircraft weapons every fifteen miles?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

They're already fighting someone who's literally space hitler to them, I don't know if you could get them any more filled with rage!

You say that, but nearly everything about this campaign has been calculated to piss them off as much as is conceivably possible.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Dolash posted:

Those are good answers, and yeah, it's a little surprising to hear Amaris has a manpower problem considering it's usually the opposite issue, guess there could be all sorts of reasons for that.

I hadn't considered that pilot hits would be adding up, though. Four Demon Hawks have taken one pilot hit each so far and thankfully no one's been headcapped, hopefully injuries'll stay light.

It's really not so strange when you consider that Amaris isn't behaving like a battletech character. He's acting like the leader of a modern military force that just happens to include oversized bipedal tanks. Conscripts are abundant, but they'll gently caress up your order of battle worse than having gaps in the line. What Amaris and his generals need are trained and blooded pilots.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

I love that poor dumb kit fox. I hope it survives the entire mission just repeatedly failing to wake up.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Given the way Amaris has been treated so far, I don't expect the "surprise we have more ships than everyone else in the entire inner sphere" angle. My current suspicion is that the same tech that allows for orbital factories is perfectly suitable to orbital defense platforms.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

For those questioning whether the NRWR people will let Jason keep his trophy, I should point out that the guy responding in the fluff is the liason officer. If anyone on the field knows how much central command will bend on the issue, he's it.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Without checking anything, that seems like a pretty hefty punch for the weight.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Dolash posted:

Are they really going to be allowed to keep all these goodies after their 3-year jaunt? Ride upgrades courtesy of the Republic look like one of the big boons of this campaign, standing in the way of a Clan invasion might be high risk but it's apparently also high reward. Assuming they survive the experience, making a pile of money and improving their mechs while building a good reputation and taking it to the hated Clans sounds like it could be a career-making high note.

To repeat the argument I made back during voting, this campaign will make or break mercenary companies. Anyone who survives a long term front line military service as mercenary auxiliaries is going to have a rock solid reputation.

Night10194 posted:

My greatest hope is that we're watching the birth of Amaris' super-elite henchman miniboss squad from humble beginnings.

Unlikely. Given that Duncan has other loyalties that'd get in the way.

And as for the idea of losing their tech advantage, I think you folks are missing the point. This whole battle is grand political theater. Amaris is showing that he can openly challenge -three- of these terrifying clan invaders at once and come out on top. It's going to make allying with him a very attractive prospect to a galaxy worried about their future.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Kalma Youngblood did pull off a mission in clan-controlled space. Maybe she's a bondsman?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

"Micro Pulse Laser"? Going by the name I'm guessing it's a low power critseeker for use when you're risking a kick?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

TheParadigm posted:

Because poo poo, he should have to suffer piloting it at least once in his career.

Why? The whole nation leaders must be heroic combat pilots thing the established battletech stuff has going on has always been kind of ridiculous. This Amaris is clearly a foil on the neo-feudal knighthood thing. Having him just revert to being like the inner sphere nobility would be boring.

As for the vote, I'm with the bigger numbers crowd.

C & C

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

How does the War Crimes Weapon Platform stack up against aerospace?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Voyager I posted:

It would murder the poo poo out of the pilot, assuming that pilot was on the tarmac running to get into his aero.

PoptartsNinja posted:

“During that window, the Clan fighters still on the ground will be completely helpless!” Taj interjected in his boisterous Free Worlds Australian accent.

:smug:

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

3 mechs with no orders, that does not bode well. At least it was for the bloodless first round though.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

To be fair a mech that screams like an eagle, has outright physically destructive acceleration, and literal wings is basically the jade falcon's fever dream. Slap a coat of paint on it, give it a new name, and they could call the drat thing a totem mech.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mood: In No Mood for Anymore Trueborn Bullshit

Star Captain Haze needs to get at least one post.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

So uhh, what's the giant vortex at 2721 and why does it seem so ominous?

It's a tornado, isn't it?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

So a massive explosion in a hurricane, including at least one small tornado. How do you intend to play that out? Giant cloud of scalding fog?

Also, nice to see at least a couple of the new clan light pilots are freaking out.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Despite having his assault star mauled in just one round, Ath is still bored.

Leo the unfortunate pirahna pilot however, is suitably surprised. The "mood" box really adds a lot of fun to this.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

While their relative disregard for the equipment is shocking compared to the rest of the IS, do remember this is a life or death issue for Amaris and his nation.

For all we know this could well be a planned pyrrhic war. More a bluff than a show of force.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Regarding the possibility of boarding action, didn't we skip that scenario. I have vague recollections of failing horribly as part of the Wolverines training scenario. Will that affect the chances of the boarding going ahead?

If I remember correctly PTN scrubbed it because the whole battle armor scenario was a horrible mess to run.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

I dunno' if it's actually in their favor, but would the Lancelot's perk come into play for the infantry dislodge attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

The real MVP was the Stag. Despite spontaneous self-deconstruction, pratfalls, and bouts of narcolepsy it still managed to leave under its own power.

• Locked thread