Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Seconding Tannoy and B&W, the 685s are great, though probably too new to be very easy to find used. I'd look for something like the B&W 601 S3 or Tannoy Sensys DC1.

PSA: If you like NAD amps, don't combine them with Tannoys without listening to the combination first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-168ha-21-2x40w-mini-amplifier-1x68w-sub-output--310-308

That being said, it's not much more than an amplifier with a 3.5mm jack, so you're not gaining anything except a smaller footprint.

Oh hey, that thing is pretty cool.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Not to mention that you can get better amplifiers in them than before too, Class D or Tripath vs a lovely AB with a too small powersupply (because space and heat constraints).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd go for a SVS sub, they're pretty insane. Somewhat more spendy, but IMO worth it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What about DYNAMIC RANGE?! :spergin:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I hate this whataboutism trend

Yeah, it was just too easy...

Well gently caress, that was what I was getting at. I'm bad.

Back to the topic at hand:

At normal listening levels, you'll rarely exceed a few watts of power, and the average power will often be <1W. But in properly mastered recordings (i.e. poo poo that isn't overly affected by the loudness war), you'll have portions of the track that will demand a lot more power "on tap". That's why good amps generally have well thought-out powersupplies with decent capacitor banks and transformers that can keep up with demand.

You very rarely blow speakers by feeding them too much power, but it's exceedingly easy to do with an undersized amplifier if you don't pay some attention to what you're doing. As the amplifier peaks, it sends out square waves (DC of alternating polarity) that will fry tweeters in a hurry. A classic example is the old Cerwin Vega AL1000 paired with a single NAD 216 or 218, where they really need bridged 218's or 208's to survive being cranked to 11.

I have a Trends TA 10.1 t-amp that I've paired up with a couple of Tannoy MX1 bookshelf speakers. The combo sounds pretty good, but you notice when it runs out of steam fairly quickly. Some of this is due to the Tannoys being relatively low sensitivity (87 dB/1W/1m IIRC).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

No, this is wrong. Clipping and square waves do not produce DC. They produce harmonic overtones to the base frequency, in other words clipping generates high-frequency content. And square waves do not kill speakers, otherwise distorted guitars and synthesizers would be killing speakers left and right.

What actually happens is that a square wave has ~1.4x the RMS voltage and ~2x the power of a sine wave with the same amplitude. You're putting more than the amplifier's rated power to the speakers, and if the speakers are undersized, they'll fry. Especially if the tweeters are under-specced, as the clipping creates high-frequency harmonics.

But in the end, what kills the speaker is too much power, not the mere fact that the amp is clipping.

For instance, it is completely impossible to kill a genuinely 100W rated speaker using a 10W-rated amp through clipping, no matter how much you abuse it. Utterly impossible.

Good points. I'm rusty on analog electronics :v:

However, the point about harmonic frequencies, doesn't this push more power into the high-frequency domain? and what is the power handling of, say, a soft dome tweeter vs a 15" woofer?
Going back to my example about the AL1000's, what usually happened was that either the fuse for the tweeter blew, or the tweeter itself blew, as it couldn't handle the power being put through them.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone got opinions on/experiences with dual concentric speakers?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You know you want to!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Scrapez posted:

Thanks for the info. I have everything hidden away in a central closet in our house so it passes WAF. I figure for $20 apiece, I might as well grab them and figure out what to do with them later. Perhaps use all 3 to power an IB subwoofer setup in the next house. Or, if I can find a cheap matrix audio control unit, set them up for whole home audio distribution via ethernet. Overkill but would be fun to play with if I can do it on the cheap.

At $20 a pop this is a complete nobrainer, buy them already!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

1) almost no lower limit, you'll be fine.

2) you set the amp up for the speakers you have, 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.1 etc etc doesn't matter much. Starting with 3.1 is a smart move, the front row (+ sub) is the most important bit for audio quality. The surround channels are cool too, but not as critical, at least not to start with.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Is $139.99 a good deal for this sub?

Probably? But the bar is pretty low at this point, and you'll probably upgrade later, which brings us to this:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

One thing you will never regret is spending the money on a proper sub like an SVS

I bought an SVS SB12-Plus a while back and immediately regretted not just buying an SVS sub when they became available in Norway a few years ago, they knock pretty much everything else out of the water in their price class without breaking a sweat.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is exactly the thing that makes me laugh about the loving AV industry, it's all a numbers game but the numbers are loving meaningless in most cases so finding a genuinely great product is really hard to do, particularly when speaker manufacturers tweak the figures so much.

Amp A: 3000w PMPO - the output an amp can do for a nanosecond before exploding (also known as; wattage ISL - if struck by lightning)
Speaker B: frequency response of 20hz-20khz - 20hz response is -15db and basically inaudible
TV C: contrast ratio of 10million:1 - test conducted in a pitch black room with the screen off to measure black level, white level only attained for a nanosecond before the screen burns out

So much bullshit.

And people wonder why I just stick with Tannoy, SVS and higher-specced Pioneer* receivers...

*My newest Pioneer is a VSX-1015 that isn't even HDMI, so... I dunno what I'd get now.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah they're not the best bang for the buck by far, but they're the best bang for the bucks you pay for something you didn't make yourself.

I'd really rather run an IB setup or one of those horn loaded subs, but they're hardly viable for a 750 sq feet apartment :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Scrapez posted:

I mean a flat pack from diysoundgroup.com and Stereo Integrity HT 18 v2 are probably the best budget bang for your buck if you're willing to go with DIY route. $275 for the subwoofer and enclosure. Then a Behringer inuke 3000DSP for $280. All in your under 600 bucks and have extra amp capacity if you want to build another.

Nothing store bought can come close to it but you're talking about some work and the biggest difference to me is the finish. Putting the flat pack together is easy for anyone but finishing the cabinet in something that looks nice is a lot more difficult for someone without experience.

Yeah, I fully agree with you there.

Sadly, I live in Norway and my options are more limited. I got an SB12-Plus for a few hundred dollars used, it's more than enough for my needs.

The next time I move, I'm probably going for an IB setup with 4 or 5x18" in a suitably sized home theatre room :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm still using an old Pioneer VSX-1015 connected to my Samsung 4K TV via optical, works just fine.

This upgradeitis a lot of people have is bullshit.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's about the same era of Sony whatever the gently caress I have... :hfive:

:hfive:

I'm sure lossless audio is better, and though I'm fairly picky on audio quality, I also spent a few years derping around the oceans as a sonar operator so my hearing isn't 100% anymore :v:

I am looking at upgrading, but not necessarily to the newest generation, I'd rather buy used and get more bang for the buck. E.g. a Pioneer LX-52 or 72 or thereabouts.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Your lack of faith in dual concentric speakers is disturbing :colbert:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Worth trying the SVS SoundPath isolating feet or a subwoofer platform.

Can confirm that these works wonders. One would think that dampening feet wouldn't make a real difference for a sub, but in practice it goes a long way to decouple the sub from the room, thus bothering neighbours a lot less.

I moved from a freestanding house to an apartment block and I haven't had any noise complaints despite rocking it pretty hard at times.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

veiled boner fuel posted:

I think a lot of the "ported subs are boomy" came about from cheap drivers and cheap manufacturers. Like if you're going to make a lovely sub you're going to port it just to get the efficiency bump. That doesn't mean ported subs are inferior in any way.

"Tight" vs "boomy" probably has a lot more to do with "expensive" vs "cheap", than sealed vs ported, I guess.

You can compare the driver to a motor and the amplifier to a controller trying to steer the motor precisely.

A cheap driver tends to have a lot of moving mass compared to magnet/coil motor strength and will objectively tend to sound worse no matter what you do in a ported enclosure. You can mask some of this in a sealed enclosure because of the inherently better damping*, but it's still going to be meh when you push it.
The same effect can be observed by pairing a good driver with an undersized amplifier. As you push the limits of what the amplifier can output, it will lose control over the driver and you get distortion in various forms.

*This is my intuitive understanding, it's by no means entirely accurate.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Get a used SVS instead?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Get a used SVS instead of that thing, it looks like a pile of poo poo.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Find a used SVS woofer and build yourself a tube sub, problem solved.

It's not rocket science, folks.
Acoustics is way worse.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm getting kind of sick of my Elac B6 being too boomy when I listen to music. I have a Denon s910w for a receiver . Is it worth it trying to stuff the ports or do I need to step up? I use it for music and movies. Thought about going with a set of KEF Q100s but prices brand new seem kind of insane at 500$. The front port seems nice to me since they would be sharing a wall with the bedroom.

Put socks in the ports and see how it affects the sound? Takes all of 5 minutes to try :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

No sub. I'm an apartment dweller and trying to be a good neighbor. 3.0 system. 2 ELAC B6 as L/R and a C5 center. It's fine for TV and movies can get a little boomy but it's not too bad but music just sounds muddy as all hell and it uses stereo (Apple Music from my Apple TV, Denon is set to auto so it switched from multi in to stereo).

Have you tried stuffing the ports with socks yet?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I just got an ELE EL-D01 USB DAC/soundcard from eBay. Having a pretty low-rent setup (small Trends T-amp, old Tannoy speakers, high-level signal to an SVS sub and using the audio output from a monitor :v: etc), this is a nice little upgrade.
Going to test it with my headsets this weekend, and depending on that I might get one to keep at the office too :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

yaffle posted:

Hmmm, my budget is smallish and I don't need a remote, will that little thing really work?

Here's a review: https://www.headfonia.com/review-smsl-ad18/

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

All 5.1 receivers support that, AFAIK.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Buy the fronts and a sub first. Look at SVS for subs.

$1000 for a complete system will be very so-so unless you get really lucky with used components.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My point is: get the amplifier, fronts and sub first, then save up some more money and get the rears later.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

derk posted:

Ok, besides Klipsch then, what are some other recommendations? I like the SVS subs but hot drat they are pricey.

Pay once, cry once.

You could look into getting a used one?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, it'll work.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Save up some more money then, a good subwoofer lasts for years, while you'll want to replace a poo poo one pretty soon.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Or as a friend is fond of saying: Pay once, cry once.

You should look at the used market as well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

It's supposed to be "Buy once, cry once." It rhymes - that's why it's a saying. Tell your friend I hate them.

I'll pass that along :sun:

My only cheap hifi buy is annoying me now, and I'm going to have to buy a new set of fronts for my living room due to my bad choices when I moved last. Sigh.

Granted I only wasted $150 or so, but still.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tannoy, Dali and B&W are widespread in Norway and you can usually find some good deals on Finn.no. All of those brands should pair up decently with that Pioneer as well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

How much did you end up paying? The B&W 601 S3 are solid speakers, you can't really go wrong with them.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

When it comes to subs, the answer is pretty much always SVS.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

If you can afford to and don't want to build your own, yes I'd agree. There are certainly other fine options out there, though.

We need to be careful to avoid the fanboyism that tends to infect audiophile communities.

Yeah, they're not anything special, they just tend to be very good for the price, especially if you find one used. There are certainly other options out there, especially DIY if you're not all thumbs and know how to do basic woodworking.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I live in the third floor of an apartment building, have an SVS 12" sub and zero complaints from neighbours. AMA :v:

In all seriousness, subs are fine but you should have dampening feet for it. SVS has one type for sale, Auralex also makes sound dampening pads.

But in the $100-200 range, I don't think I'd even bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Hey guys, I cannot simply rebuild my house for acoustics. pls help.

Have an industrial accident so you have to remodel :v: