Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Dessert Rose posted:

I've just reached the point of being able to play on one of the best sound systems in town on a regular basis. All of my music seriously sounds like 400x better on that thing, it's so much fun.

I also enjoy playing other people's living rooms when they have good systems :)

Playing the main stage of a massive must be insane.

Having many thousands of watts of bass is always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

We hired a photog to come take some sweet pics of us for a presskit. They turned out pretty well in my opinion. We gave him as much as he could drink and hooked him up with the manager in return for him taking these pctures for us. Pretty good trade, something to consider if you need some sweet pics for gigs and poo poo like that. Im in the tie and you can see my dj partner in the background. Weve been playing around with a guitarist and MC, which is why we wanted the pics for a presskit in the first place.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Splinter posted:

Asked this in the Mac thread, but probably better here: Anyone have recommendations for a laptop stand for a 15" MBP that is sturdy, height adjustable and rugged enough to survive some travel/gigs?

I've been looking at the Crane Stand Pro/Plus or various Odyssey models. Anyone have experience with these?

Crane stand is the only one worth a poo poo IMO. You pay dearly for the quality though.

I honestly really like the griffin brand stands like they sell at the mac store. Its not very tall and doesnt pack up very well but its super sturdy.

And ill say it again: stands suck and you should tuck your computer as far from your face as you can. Its a distraction.

oredun fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 26, 2013

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

[Plays Cupid Shuffle]
Notices how songs like this are the only thing that make people happy sometimes. Begins to reevaluate life.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

88h88 posted:

Anyone else using in-ears at all? I find them easier to cue tracks with personally due to them sitting right in my ear. It also means I don't need to run the volume as loud which saves my hearing a bit.

I notice Wolfgang Gartner uses them but I've never really seen anyone else doing so.

I just started using them because im gonna make myself go deaf if i dont change something.

Theyre great when DJing by yourself and no requests, one is good if theres requests, and theyre impossible to use if djing with someone else.

They only thing is, you have to be very confident you wont gently caress poo poo up live because sometimes you may not be able to even hear it.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Crunchtime posted:

Thanks I ordered the non straight armed one. It'll be here next week when im out of town :(

So how did everyone come up with their DJ names? I just moved to a real city and I'm now tasked with coming up with a name. In my hometown, I'd just go by my legal name since everyone knew who I was anyway.

I got a new job and after a while they were all saying I needed a new name because i was just using my regular rear end name. So they made one for me. My name is Justin. So naturally they decided my DJ name is DJ Just Inflamed.

And I had no power over what they put in ads and poo poo.

So now what I do is just say my name is red and DJ name is red (I'm a ginger) and its a decent enough name and it helps me remember random people from work(cause nobody in real life calls me red).

I don't know the moral of this story but don't be that guy with a stupid name. Like DJ A55 Pl4y for instance.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

Don't get me wrong - that was mostly sarcasm and whining about how I keep buying equipment in my last post. Right now I am in the middle of a 10 day burn of gigging every night outside of my day job. It's fun and I am losing track of the days. If I'm not packing up or moving gear for one gig, it's because I am busy printing posters and hanging them for the next. I am definitely doing okay and very happy that music supports itself.

My rule of thumb? I don't leave the house for less than $150.00. Depending on the gig things vary wildly from there.

Thats my minimum too. I feel like its fair because, well, i would do just about anything for $50 an hour.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Lump Shaker posted:

What's your Ableton setup like? Do you have a lot of crazy effects in your live set or a lot of other crap on your laptop? I'm trying to put together an Ableton setup and this is one of my biggest fears.

Ableton crashes a lot. Its just a fact of life. Maybe like 1/25 risk of crash. I've used it for a really long time and many computers and it just crashes more than doing software. Last time I used it live it crashed actually.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

a milk crime posted:

I think acts like Raime, Holly Herndon, and Uwe Schmidt really throw your statements to the wind - people love their music (by people I mean at least me, and my friends, and those who see them life), and they don't do a whole lot of moving while they perform -and generally you can't even see them at the clubs where they perform anyway.

I think that the feeling to be constantly doing something is natural, though I think entirely unnecessary - if you have confidence in your selection, then there are going to be at least some moments where you do absolutely nothing.

You just named 3 people who are boring and ive never heard of them. Now think about how many actually famous djs just stare at their feet all night? Not all that many.

Secondly, about ableton talk, it crashes a lot for being "live". Ive had it legally since 5 or 6, ive been to studios to train people how to use it, i can do some poo poo with it. But if you notice, the big names who use it have two laptops on stage with them because it crashes too much.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Lump Shaker posted:

What are you feeding into that mixer as far as audio sources?

Im not sure he realizes there are things that plug into the mixer that make noise.

"Playing with mixers"

I really like that to describe what we do. I especially like that someone whos into the scene thinks that what we do.

Does anyone have any playing with mixer gigs that are both awesome and totally mind numbing at the same time?

I just got this one, and its at "nice" restaurant bar thing, but goddamn its just old rich square white people getting wasted, so you can imagine the great music i get to play. And the worst part is.....i only play 15 mins an hr because i fill in for the band the night. So i sit for 45 mins and read my phone and eat chicken wings, and jump up for 15 mins, play poo poo music, and then sit back down.

But, they pay me a decent amount in cash no taxes or none of that poo poo, and its super easy so thats the awesome part i guess. Ive done worse for less i figure.

But fuckin a man, fuckin a. Itll make you want to get a real job sometimes.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

keevo posted:

There's a guy on my local Craigslist selling a DJM-900 + flightcase for $1000. I wish I had that kind of spending money right now. :negative:

That sounds like a thousand dollar gut wound.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Let's inject some more controversy into this thread because I'm bored today. This has been making the rounds on my FB feed amongst promoters and the like; Dillon Francis at Holy Ship viciously insulting a dancer for spilling a drink on his laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDRK9fAtqoU

What are your thoughts on this? I'm more surprised than anything, that a DJ of his caliber doesn't at least have a pair of thumb drives or a small stack of DVDs as a backup. I also don't think he handled it very professionally - I've been mad at gear situations before (I even backhanded a kid once for spinning back one of my platters) but I very quickly learned that it doesn't help, and cursing out some poor girl over the PA is never as funny as you think it sounds in your head. But that's another story - again I'm surprised, kind of amazed actually, that a top-billed DJ doesn't have some sort of immediate backup plan. I'm almost inclined to say there's something else going on here, like maybe that was his backup lappy.

That was really loving rude and uncalled for. I dont think ill ever look at him again. She was just doing her job, and made a mistake....and he was just doing his job and made a mistake(by not having another cloned computer in his bag).

Poor form overall.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Alfajor posted:

I download a lot of stuff during the week on my computer at work. When I import everything to my DJing laptop, I like to convert all wavs to mp3s (at 320, stereo). I've been using Audacity to do this, and I'm tired of doing one at a time. I searched and found a batch workflow that is definitely faster than one at a time, but still requires a lot of clicking around.
I'm on Win7, and what I'd really like is a batch file that scans a folder and all subfolders, and converts *.wav to mp3. This should be simple to script up, but maybe someone already has it and saves me all that :effort:

Theres this tiny little program called itunes that will batch convert wav to mp3 for you.

Step 1: Select.
Step 2: Right click.
Step 3: Create mp3 version.
Step 4: Ascend to higher plane of consciousness.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Alfajor posted:

Thanks, never heard of it.
On a non-sarcastic level: yeah, that works too, but you still have to do it on a file-per-file basis, and know if they're wav or already mp3.

You select one file, then hold shift and select the last file. It will batch select and convert them.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
So my pioneer mixer pooped out on me. Does anyone know the fastest best way to get pioneer to fix it? So far ive never even been able to through to support on the phone(this scares me) and can only communicate via email with them. I looked for authorized repair place near me but there isnt any.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

You are looking at weeks to months if you send it to pioneer.

Thats what Im afraid of.

Its a DJM-T1

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Surprised I haven't seen talk of this yet: Reloop Tape USB Mixtape Recorder

Thoughts? I think it's a pretty cool little invention for those of us who tend to avoid a laptop - if you've got one, though, it's kind of redundant. I'm also wondering how good the phono preamp is...

I couldnt possibly imagine a fake cassette recorder that only records mp3 through an 1/8th inch input would be worth buying.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

keevo posted:

What's the go-to mixer that isn't a Rane 62 or DJM-900 or Z2 for those who play open format stuff? I need to start figuring out what mixer to buy because my Mackie D.2 sucks. I would go for the 62 since I'm a Serato guy but it's a lot of money for a two channel mixer.

My DJM T1 was the poo poo. Until it broke.

So who knows. The z2 doesnt seem very quality to me. The t1 feels super amazing and great, but ill be damned the left side went out.

They only cost $600 so theres that too.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

baltimoron posted:

anytime i've ever dropped the flosstradamus remix of climax, the bumpin' n grindin level goes from normal to almost daggering mode because the girls get so into it. basically everyone will have sex on the dance floor, i know its not house tempo but man do they love it.

What kind of scene is this goin down in? I cant possibly imagine this tune working for any crowd ive ever played for. Ive been wrong before though.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

88h88 posted:

Personally I use Vsonic VSD1S in ears mainly because the clarity from them is pretty drat good and they're at a price ($50) where you won't cry too much if you lose them. I notice Pioneer have just released a couple of sets but the cheap set is still $160.

For the record I've used The DJ's favourite TMA-01s, HD-25s, HDJ 500, 1000, 1500 and didn't like the sound of any of them but I'm quite picky.

If you know someone with a set of anything in ear, even loving Sennheiser CX300s borrow them and see how you go. Some people hate them and others just don't think they look like a DJ without a massive set of headphones... :v:

Do these vsonics have the cinch thing on them to tighten them behind my head? I cant tell from pictures.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

TheWevel posted:

I'll help you for $150 an hour.

Its the best when you get to say this to people.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
If you use relative mode you can use a turntable with seriously hosed anti-skate whatever. 2/3 of mine wont go past around the 5-7 minute mark.

I actually like it better because i never have to reset the needle!

Some sound guy nerd told me it fucks my poo poo up but ive been using them like that for hundreds of gigs. No change in any wear and tear i can find. Seriously though, i like them better broken...something to think about.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

b0red posted:

Don't looped grooves have a little bit of a click/weird moment where it you can tell it hit that loop part? If so that would throw off the time code ever so slightly unless the DVS system had some sort of way to know it happened.

It doesnt. Ive played about 200 gigs with it broken.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

revmoo posted:

Those Numark mixers give me flashbacks

I think you mean nightmares.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

Someone stole my nice coat out of the DJ booth on NYE if it makes you feel any better.

I was so sick with the flu i had to lay on the filthy rear end floor of the soundbooth between sets, if if makes you feel any better.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

keevo posted:

I don't think it's on Serato DJ but it's on Scratch Live. I also don't think it works very well.

Its got some major limitations, lets put it that way.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Poizen Jam posted:

So if I wanted to use Serato and Ableton together, is there any way to make that work? Can Serato RECEIVE a clock signal (So I can route Ableton in to Channel C or D)?

Like I said I'd rather not return to the glitchy resource hog that is Traktor.

You can use scratch live(not dj) with the bridge but thats practically your only option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Poizen Jam posted:

Being as I use a DDJ SX2 I really wasn't in the market for a RANE mixer. So this really, really sucks. I do not want to go back to Traktor :(

Its not just a rane mixer, its specifically ONLY a ttm57 or sl1 box. The new ones with newer firmware dont work with scratch live.

And honestly, ive never seen anyone do a good bridge set, and i have a really good top40 mix somebody made with bridge years ago but its the only good example ive seen.

Its too complicated and traktor remix sets do a much better job of the same thing. I used to be a huge serato fanboi but now i think traktor is better after theyve crammed all that poo poo into serato dj.

oredun fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 26, 2015