Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

WayneCampbell posted:

They're semi effective up until mid level blue belts. I'm doing a really bad job of explaining this but they're basically lying on top of me. They' weren't standing so much as just driving their dead weight forward on me while grabbing aggressively at my head and going for an underhook like they were trying to arm triangle me inside my guard. Part of it is I hosed up by letting them get an underhook but this was the first time people were doing this instead of trying to break and pass guard.

The one guy in particular was ready to vomit from exhaustion after we were done and succeeded in doing nothing but making me uncomfortable but it was frustrating being stuck there.

Sao Paulo/ Godoi Pass? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atB-G83CZ7I Guess it only kind of applies. If it was me, from the description, I'd be trying to knee push and butterfly them towards the arm they've graciously trapped.. It's a kind of passing I associate with dumb white belts, not upper belts. Someones taught this with some kind of intention, I'm just not sure what.

awkward_turtle fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

JaySB posted:

John Danaher just dropped some knowledge regarding the Mike Davila situation
https://www.facebook.com/john.danaher.96/posts/177893575959701

Reddit seems to be of the opinion that Danahers in the wrong for trying to restrain a students from doing anything or manage his team, but I don't disagree with anything in that post. It takes work and a certain amount of authoritarianism to keep a high level team together. Things that threaten team cohesion unnecessarily need to be quashed.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
edit: didn't read to the end of the thread, someone already asked literally the same question

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

CommonShore posted:

spider guard

We encourage all our white belts to start playing open guards early so they can get used to staying active and keeping the hips loose. My instructor plays a ton of spider, which probably helps as well. He uses classical double arm/ lasso controls fairly rarely though, a lot of his game is using those controls to establish De La Riva hooks in combination with the spider hooks, and flowing in and out of control grips. This is especially true vs stand up passing.

The crux of all open guards is flow and reaction, this applies doubly to spider guard since once your uke's start to understand what you're doing to them it will be come extremely important to keep them constantly off balance or else they can set up to pass. Spider guard is usually considered one of those highly technical bottom games that light weights excel at. 10-15 years ago guys like Royler, Robson, and Draculino were pioneering the spider guard sort of the way guys are pioneering honey hole attacks and de la riva inversions now. Much the same way, that doesn't mean it's limited to smaller weights though. Romulo Barral is a student of Dracs and would be worth looking into as a high level example of spider. For tips beyond that... learn to tape your fingers. Years of Judo and spider grips have hosed my instructors fingers up pretty good.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Robson Moura Nova Uniao schools mostly use an adult green belt. It's not something I love but I can't fault the reasoning when I talk to my instructor. The 2nd and 3rd generation american guys are getting old and realizing that they need bigger schools/associations and not just a small stable of hardened killers to retire, and that they can't roll their entire lives until the day they die. Yeah, you've got your Relson Gracies out there, but the number of days they actually roll and teach is usually smaller than you think. Especially the last generation of high level guys. Good quality strength and conditioning has only just started really penetrating the BJJ community, flexability is huge, and those guy are eaten up with injuries.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Spider guard and butterfly guard were trend guards at one point.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Kekekela posted:

This was what the doctor I went to was saying I'd need a plastic surgeon for, which seemed dumb for something I felt like he shoulda been able to manage. For future reference, is this the kind of thing most general practitioners should be able to deal with, or are my expectations unrealistic?

It can be fully within their scope without them being fully comfortable doing it. If he never got exposed in training he probably just doesn't want to do it wrong. Plenty of nurses are willing to hack job a drain (myself included) but my MD's prefer to be a little more perfectionist. A lot of family medicine and some internal medicine guys do a side fellowship in sports medicine, ask if the office has one. They're more likely to know the procedure.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What are your go-to combos from closed guard in no-gi? I can hit all the moves in a basic sense but I can't chain them together into anything rational against decent opponents.

High guard climbs or transition to williams guard, hit the armbar/triangle/omoplata options from there. The Williams guard DVD is pretty good btw, the whole first dvd is just hand fighting methods from closed guard.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

KildarX posted:

Anyone got good tricks for making people put one leg up or go to standing to pass? I've been working shin to shin guard stuff for the last few months, and I've been successful with it, but the gym has adjusted and now for the most part people will generally refuse to put the leg up for anything and basically try to single weave or double under pass me.

They're just keeping both knees down? Handfight to butterfly, they can't run away. Alternatively spider now allows you to gently caress with them way worse for the same reason.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
My gym has implemented a multicolor belting system for the white belt ranks, and a no subbing white belts below x level rule. Apparently its improved our retention significantly, and was previously used in another association school with similar results. It's worked well enough that Robson has been talking to my instructor about rolling it out to the rest of the schools. I sort of hate it, I think it's just kicking the can down the road. My instructor was also visibly disinterested BJJ for a while and breaking his depression had at least as much to do with retention as the beltings did.

On the plus side, finally got him to read some Bompa and start treating BJJ like a sport. He's hoping to compete at master worlds this year.

Morning Bell posted:

I really hate the knee-wrestling thing. I've seen a couple of folks at my gym do it but usually one person sensibly sits on their butt and the other stands or goes combat base. Mat space is a real issue so everyone's pretty aware and courteous.

At my old gym (less space issues) the instructor would mock you if you and your partner started a roll knee-wrestling and he was right to do it.

I make it a mat etiquette issue to the new guys, basically telling them that unless they or their partner has something specific to work they need to take turns top and bottom, which is usually one person in butterfly guard or taking a spider grip, and one standing or taking combat base.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Wangsbig posted:

I have had success taking the back like this but again it is the grappling equivalent of telling someone they've got something on their shirt & flicking their nose when they look

There's a brown belt at my gym who can hit these kind of escapes or get to the inverted triangle fairly reliably, but he's freaky flexable and has the approximate proportions of Slender Man.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I’m going back to BJJ after having six months off due to “being a raging alcoholic” which I no longer am. New (better) school as well. Feels weird as hell, I’m expecting to be exhausted within 20 minutes.

Cardiac output training. Cardio qualities degrade quickly compared to strength.

Has anybody noticed significant changes to their game with weight changes? Juggernaut 2.0 and focusing on my diet has put 20 lbs of mostly muscle on this year. There's been a slight reduction in cardio but my passing is noticably harder to stop. Better top pressure, lots of brabos. On the other hand I'm a bit less agile off my feet, especially for inversions, and not quite as flexible. Over all it's fitting my current game a bit better (knee slices, cuts and Marcelo style heavy hip passing, lots of turtle, half guard, and wrestling up from the bottom) since my increasingly fragile body can't handle the Gumby man inversion game I used to play.

awkward_turtle fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 10, 2018

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Mel Mudkiper posted:

btw, what is the general reputation of Robson Moura around the community? I train at one of his branch schools, and everything I have found online has been pretty positive, but I figured there are some knowledgeable guys around here who might know more about him

Robson himself is ludicrously legit. I watched him take a apart a competition purple with 100 pounds on him like a rabid weasel. Rolling him is like trying to fight your dad when you're 5. I think he still might have the highest gold medal total for anyone who doesn't have an absolute medal though Cobrinha or Rafa might have him there. He was a huge inspiration for the current and slightly older crop of lightweight competitors. Spoiler, I'm also at a Robson Moura school in NC. Not sure what exactly happened with him and the larger Nova Uniao federation though, as far as I know he left because Pederneiras started wanting more money from affiliates.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Got my brown belt at a Robson seminar Saturday. Feels super weird. I don't compete because of my lovely knee and we're a pretty rural gym so I don't get to try myself out against many other people that don't already know me. There was already a significant feeling of imposter syndrome even at purple belt. I started jiu-jitsu 9 years ago but I've had a lot of lost time mixed in due to injuries. I guess I'ma just have to focus more.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5632954/ jumping back a page, prp has pretty inconsistent evidence and pretty much no evidence for anything but knee osteo arthritis and lateral epicodalytis. Sometimes you get a shot and poo poo just gets better anyway. It costs more and it's an office procedure that allows doctors to differentiate their practice from a neighbor's for better billing and patient attraction so there are market forces that make me uncomfortable.

Also back to the low intensity rolling discussion from a few pages ago, that's good linear periodization. Firas says in the interview that they do go up in pace and intensity, but only in camp. It fits the general model of pogressing from volume to intensity and specificity just like you would if you were prepping for a weight lifting meet.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like my goal is to get to around 15 in way that is sustainable and doesnt kill strength gains. Like the last two years or so I have been doing 5x5s which tell you to eat like 3500 calories to build muscle

1.8-2.2g/kg protein, cut at a caloric reduction that doesn't exceed 1.5% body mass/week. Proteins the only macro I worry about, besides trying to keep fat in the 30-50 range. The body holds lean mass pretty well if you give it enough protein and dont try to take it to single digits. Note that hitting the ideals here basically requires carb cycling. I prefer short, serious cuts so I can get back to massing or just feeling good while training.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Just got back from a two week European vacation and got to do a couple drop ins, the highlight of which was definitely getting to the blue basement for Danahers no-gi afternoon class. I expected the quality of instruction, I wasn't prepared for the intangibles of that room, what a training environment. Roger Gracies in London was actually kind of a disappointment as I found it overly formal and Roger wasn't there, I wish I'd have gone up to Mill Hill instead even though I'm more of a Gi guy. I'd recommend anyone in Prague check out Jungle BJJ, didn't charge a 1 day mat fee for tourists,they were very chill, and the instruction when I was there was all in English.

I made a pretty game blue belt very happy since he caught me in a couple triangle but I make a point to roll extremely chill the first time I visit a place. It got me thinking though, how relaxed is too relaxed? There's a wierd push pull between your ego, the desire to represent your school and belt well, and not wanting to look like a dick or potentially injure someone that you're just training with the first time.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Using the Georgian grip for Sumi setups is sick. I hit a sacrifice throw using that on my instructor today. Even if you botch it, you still have the right sleeve grip that you can use for a butterfly sweep. Of course I got my rear end handed to me right after that, but....yeah progress on the Judo front.
Belt grip throws are like 80% of my gi arsenal. The yoko wakari(I do not know judo names very well) if they get wise and try to run is good to, you can find it looking for kashiwazaki on youtube.

awkward_turtle fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 29, 2019

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Did a search, theres all kinds of good stuff from him! Thanks for this.

Kashiwazaki is an interesting case and someone I recommend a lot of gi bjj players to look into. Essentially, he went to a less popular school and found that he wasn't getting called ippons as frequently by the judges when he went up against big names like Todai University. To compensate he developed a style of judo that included a lot of throws that transitioned smoothly into mat work since no one can question an opponent tapping out/ going unconscious. Unfortunately he likely wouldn't have been able to be a champion with modern restrictions on groundwork.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Yuns posted:

You should have let me know you were coming by so I could introduce you to everyone. Also Danaher morning crew 4 life.

I actually considered PMing you, but the whole New York stopover was a very last minute change of plans caused by bad weather loving up my flight out of JFK. That and being hella socially awkward. I didn't catch the name of the guy I ended up drilling with, kinda wiry, facial hair, wry new york kinda ball breaking attitude. Seemed to be a regular and I think black belt but it's hard for me to tell no gi. Even without introduction I felt more welcomed there, as a slightly late arriving tourist, than I did at Rogers when I was early.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Thanks to BJJ Scouts Ben Askrens studies and the lingering effects of March Madness Wrestling in my system going over the back for the ankles, or going for the base ruining properties of ankle leverage in general, and Funk Rolling is basically my poo poo now. It's not the most efficient way to play BJJ, but it might be the most fun.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you are drilling a lot of stuff that puts weight on your chest and diaphragm can you like just get bad at breathing for a bit?

I gassed out super early in rolling because I was having trouble breathing and I am wondering if it was the drills from earlier or if I am just not feeling it today

Sure, you can fatigue your respiratory muscles. Breathing is largely passive but there are muscles that amplify it, especially during bouts of highly physical activity, like angry pajama hugging.

NC and Virginia are currently in the midst of a heat wave and my gym has no AC, so I'm only going to No-gi. The heat's worse for my cardio than anything else. I'm absolutely dying within a couple rounds.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I moved gyms along with moving cities and whoa boy, do I hate "self defense" jiu-jitsu. It's a Royce lineage thing so they cover some in the beginning of all the non-advanced classes. It's everything I hate about about dead training arts except somehow worse because it's in the thing I love.

Gonna keep training here for now because everyone's nice and it's a lot cheaper and easier to get to than the other gyms in my area but I basically just dodge half the classes.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
My initial quick write up got eaten. Essentially it's classic "counter wide haymaker and double lapel grab" stuff like you'd see in a 50s movie. Some of it's good, some of it I'm reaaaaaly doubtful of. If the goal is actual self defense there's very little attention given to deescalation, multiple attackers, or weapons.

My first bjj school was a Royce place that switched over some combination of money, drama, and Royce going crazy after the second Royler - Eddie fight. Dude doubled down on the "one true art" type stuff.

I'm personally of the opinion that most of what we do and teach falls under the catagory of "dueling" and not really "self-defense." Two guys having a scuffle on a beach in Rio have certain implicit social codes they have to adhere to. In that situation, I'd rather just have good jiu-jitsu and wrestling, instead of some goofy judo counter.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Lachlan Giles is doing a 2 hr seminar near me tomorrow for 45 bucks and I can’t attend because of family obligations :bang:

Pretty sure we're pretty close to each other then. I'd call out of work but I'm sort of the boss.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

ICHIBAHN posted:

Any recommend a simple lifting routine for complete beginners, for bjj? New to lifting, not jujitsu.

Here's a simple 1x20 I wrote for a dude at my gym too, based on Yessis. Starting strength will get your squat up quick but it's more of a football or beginners powerlifting program. Perfectly fine starting place though, I did ss as one of my first programs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1voIhxbjES9HYImWA534_ZQbn_qN02io4_eDPoTyUo_U/edit?usp=drivesdk

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Hellblazer187 posted:

Quick question for my white and blue friends here: Does anyone else feel like rolling with brown belts is absolutely the most demanding physically? Are all brown belts just loving obnoxiously strong? Is just this something that I'm experiencing?

I feel like I can tell the difference between rolling with purple, brown, or black belts. And brown belts are by far the least pleasant.

As a brown belt, I feel like there's a lot of poo poo I'm still working on that requires me to go just a bit harder than the black belts, especially against the more game or larger guys. I'm also a 200 lb guy with decent lifts and heavy hips though so if you're smaller than that it's gonna feel like a ton of bricks. And then there's the 280 purple belt we have who can literally just grab my hands and put them wherever he wants, and is practically unchokable even in demos. There's levels.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Going to be out in Denver for New Years for about a week. Any grapplegoons out there want to roll? And does anyone have any suggestions for a place to drop in a couple of times? I was thinking of trying the 10th planet there, as I've never actually been to one.

I was planning to do a couple different gyms when I was visiting last year but ended up just training at cbjj Stapleton most of the visit because I liked everyone there a lot. Excellent pedagogue and good partners, and a very welcoming environment. An old training partner helps teach the lunch class.

Don't underestimate the altitude if you're coming from sea level though, it's a mother fucker.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Yuns posted:

I have an odd way to deal with it if I know someone is going to backstep from my half into leg entanglements. I will anticipate and hook my outside leg ankle under their trapped leg usually at the ankle/shin with foot to the inside and knee to the outside and then use my inside leg to hook over the top of the trapped leg so that the leg is still pinned between my legs. When they backstep, they will not have my outside leg between their legs. On the contrary, I'll elevate their leg using that outside leg under the ankle and come up on them. Don't know if anyone else does that but that's my shut down.

Yeah, that pretty much matches my primary way of fighting the reverse half guard, although I don't really have anyone who attempts leg entanglements. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMkAZCbUN18 I also kind of agree with these guys, backstepping against the modern berimbolo/inversion meta is significantly riskier than it was 10 years ago. Ankle and lower lapel entanglements are how my old instructor stopped it.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

My professor hit me up to help him instruct the kids last night.

What age? The pedagogy of teaching children varies wildly on age, young teens can handle much more technical teaching than kindergarten age children. I wouldn't worry too much about teaching them jujitsu to start with. You know how even adults get bored of doing endless drilling or the same clothes guard armbars or whatever? Kids are going to do that times 10. When I teach kids my number one priority is teaching them general body control and movement, and trying to do it in ways that apply to jujitsu. So we do things like sumo pushouts, leap frog, rolling, tumbling, tie a sock in their belt and try to pull it out. Back riding as a game with very little focus on getting the sub. With a more advanced kids class or older kids you can start teaching one or two subs a class, and then make it a positional game to get them to try and use them. Some kids like to wrestle, some kids hate it but their parents make them anyway, I want both groups to be able to take something away from the class. Even if what the second group takes away is just basic physical development, wrestling and gymnastics are fantastic sources of base physical development in youth athletes.

Keep them moving as much as possible, teach in short bursts and then back to moving. 1 2 3 eyes on me, (repeat back 1 2 3 eyes on you). Most of the Battle is just maintaining attention and keeping it fun. Oh, and there will be plenty of fairness disagreements. If I didn't see it I just make em rock paper scissors.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Drewjitsu posted:

The answer is always full Windsor, gently caress the haters.

Given that most of this thread probably suffer from Grapplers Neck, yeah this is true. Need a nice chunky knot.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Nestharken posted:

Gonna assume it's just having an especially thicc neck from the muscles you develop by having dudes try to dunk your head like a basketball all day. Even though I had already done a decent bit of weightlifting before BJJ, it made my neck circumference go up 1", which was just enough to make all of my collared shirts no longer fit.

Anyway, wider neck == wider tie knot for aesthetic balance purposes.

This is what I had in mind. After I started grappling off the shelf dress shirts don't even remotely fit anymore, or at least they didn't till I got significantly fatter.

starkebn posted:

If it's always having a sore neck then I've definitely got it

But also this.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Mursupitsku posted:

What's the best way to make sure I don't gas out as bad in future matches? More hard rolling or more actual cardio training like jogging?

Specificity is king, but it depends on your baseline level of fitness. Sports Science in a nutshell, general training creates qualities that can be refined by sports specific training, and in fact general training is necessary on at least an occasional basis to prevent stagnation and injury. If your resting heart rate isn't at least in the 60's you'll benefit from non-bjj aerobic training, 30-60 minutes of a hr around 50-60% of max for your age group, a level where you should easily be able to have a conversation. Past that cardiac interval training becomes of greater value, especially because BJJ has a fairly high degree of intermittency, ie it's often periods of static positions and slow development leading to bursts of movement. Increasing basic strength and strength endurance can also help with gassing issues. At blue belt you're getting out of your spazzy stage but at competition level there is some consideration to technique efficiency. Finally, rolling hard rounds IN YOUR TIME CATAGORY leading up to the competition while cutting back on non bjj conditioning and weights adds some of that specificity back, with the caveat that it may be better to be slightly underprepared rather than injured.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1voIhxbjES9HYImWA534_ZQbn_qN02io4_eDPoTyUo_U/edit?usp=sharing Here's a crappy spreadsheet program I made for a blue belt from my gym with no lifting experience, with a basic taper period. Don't underestimate it though, doing just this got him a 150kg ish deadlift for his police academy fitness test. Chad Wesley Smith has some BJJ conditioning and lifting videos under the Juggernaut Strength moniker, and I'm also a big fan of the unified strength and conditioning approach of the Tactical Barbell books.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
13 or 14 year brown belt, but I took the last two years off due to working around COVID patients and not wanting to be a vector, plus a couple years worth of long absences related to neck issues and multiple knee surgeries. Multiple guys I used to roll with have black belts now, and one guy that started the same week is an active roster UFC fighter.

I've still got a grapplers guide subscription but actually using it is like taking a step back in time to 2005 BJJ unless it's from a guest instructor. Fascinating how the meta has moved.

Also, to the guy asking about mobility earlier, I'm a big fan of the limber 11 by joe defranco. It's a relatively quick mobility routine you can do with minimal equipment, or none if you cut the foam rolling. which has fallen out of favor in the last 10 years anyway.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

CommonShore posted:

yeah when someone does that to me I use one of like 6 judo turnovers. Usually I just grab their near foot, block the far hand, and roll them like a ball. Turtle is a deceptively strong position and it always amazes me how much purely BJJ focused people just try to attack it as if there's no risk. I spent a month just turtling for every roll and I was always able to do stupid things.

The most valuable instructional I ever watched was Telles Turtle Guard. I hit practically every combo in it nearly at will. The only people below black who can do anything are the ones with extensive wrestling who are used to working against referees position.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
In celebration of my current gym doing a leg lock emphasis this week, I've been going back to review the only modern game leg lock instructional I own, Down Under Leg locks. It seems more than sufficient for my needs, local gym rolling and maybe some open mats. I'm just curious about how it compares to the current leg lock meta, being about 5 years old. I'm under the impression that the saddle and classic ankle lock positions have fallen out of favor and that's sort of the emphasis.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
My favorite BJJ tournament fight story is about Rahni Yahya supposedly throwing a snake at guy during a dispute. I asked Robson Moura about it once, he couldn't confirm anythingexcept that Yahya was a wierd dude.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Shumagorath posted:

Is posting scans and video clips from published works ok in this thread? I ask not for anyone's benefit, but because I paid $2 to take a copy of this out of circulation and everyone should marvel at how bad it is. The book even had a copy of the DVD still sealed within.

Even the cover has some pretty questionable throwing mechanics. They did like, two standup classes and decided to put out a book huh.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Mekchu posted:

bruno malfacine has an alliance gym there, which is also where i think alec baulding does stuff out of (if not he's also in orlando and seems to do stuff with a UCF group of jiu jitsu people). they seem to do both gi and no gi and from what i've heard from friends in florida its a good gym but that was a while back.

https://www.brunomalfacine.com/schedule

I watched Bruno at the IBJJF Atlanta Open years ago and that dude can teleport.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I had to teach a class on collar sleeve which I don’t really use so I spent 48 hours obsessing over the submeta and jon thomas videos about it.

It rules. I hit so many triangles today. It’s deeply satisfying to teach a move to a class and then hit that move on the people you just taught it to.

I’ve stayed away from the gi-specific guards for a long time, but they’re completely OP. I’m going to start playing two different games between gi and nogi classes.

After not really training for about two years I started going to a school that does 90% no gi, and I'm kinda bad at it. Occasionally putting on a gi again reveals how much of my game is just unconciously shaped by doing Gi BJJ for 10 years and the need to make an intentional alterations in my positional choices instead of just playing no gi versions of the same things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Hellblazer187 posted:

Do any of you log your classes/rolls into any kind of calorie calculator or whatever? I have a Garmin watch and I don't wear it during class, and I'm like oh I should log this in Garmin Connect. But like, if I say I did a one hour class, it wasn't really like a full hour of rolling. There's warmups, there's technique practice, there's watching the instructor demonstrate, there's being uke, etc. etc. etc. So I'm not sure how to log a BJJ class and get anything even remotely accurate.

The listed values for different excercises can be wildly variable so I've tried to generally log mostly the high active portions of the class with Lose It in the past. I would worry about hitting someone with a heart rate tracker, and fishing hands in and out makes watches particularly undesirable. Anything I miss goes into the grey area of imperfection with measurment and I don't care as long as the scale keeps going down.