Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

This thread inspired me to set up a profile on Backloggery (which took hours). I knew I'd bought a lot of games I'd never played, but gently caress me, I didn't realize it was this bad. More than half the games I've bought have never even been touched.

The worst part is that my love of RPG and Strategy games has well and truly bitten me in the butt. There's about a dozen ultra-hardcore wargames in there, along with a number of very long RPGs. It's going to take me until 2013 (at least) before I can get through this lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Over a week since I set up my Backloggery, and I only just cleared my first game off it: Sanctum and all its DLC. It's a good game, but it does get repetitive if you play it too much; a problem all Tower Defence games have.

Now to start on Bastion. I don't know anything about it, but I've heard it's one of the best games of 2011.

I'll have to start Half-Life II after that; the fact I've never actually played it makes me feel a bit of a failure as a PC gamer.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Colon V posted:

Depends on if you beat Veni, Vidi, Vici or not.

gently caress you for reminding me of that. That was just pure bullshit.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

The past two weeks has been productive in backlog terms.

Bastion: Holy crap this game is awesome. I loved it so much I spent hours grinding in Who Knows Where so I could fully upgrade all the weapons before the end of the game. I'm definitely going to do a New Game + run at some point, and see the different ending choices. I left Zulf to die, and chose Restoration. If you have even a vague interest in RPGs, you need to play this game.

Trine I: I'd already played through this one, but I decided to play it again to get all the achievements. I'm going to get the sequel at some point, but only after I reduce the backlog some more.

Terraria: I marked this one as Beaten, but I didn't really finish it. I had major problems finding ores, so I cheated :ughh: by downloading the All Items worldfile. Equipped with the best armour and weapons, I crushed the Eye, the Eater, Skeletron and the Wall with ease. Feeling all :smug: about my combat skill, I then decided to take on the Twins. Who proceeded to completely ruin my poo poo. Repeatedly. I stopped playing after that. Honestly though, I got my money's worth out of this game (35 hours according to Steam). I'd recommend it to anyone; the ability to seamlessly switch between building/mining and monster-stomping is what made the game for me.

Fate of the World + DLC missions: A game about dealing with climate change may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I had fun with it. It's hard as diamond though; the tagline might as well be "The economy or the environment: Pick one, you can't save both". The Migration DLC was even worse, to the point of wondering if the developers genuinely hated the playerbase.

Half-Life II: I'm glad I played this, but it just wasn't as good as the first. It just didn't have the same compelling nature. Way back when, I traded sleep for more HL I time, but this didn't grab me the same way. I don't know why.

HL II: Lost Coast: It's a 20-minute tech demo. What can I say?

EightDeer fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 25, 2012

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Just completed Avadon: The Black Fortress. It's been years since I played and finished Geneforge 1, but I don't remember it being nearly as head-crushingly deep as Avadon is.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

And I'm not familiar with the Warhammer world at all but is this the only decent action game they've ever made in it? I know the Dawn of War series is well regarded as an RTS and I played the terrible Fire Warrior back in the day but that's about it, right? Also is the actual Warhammer fiction any good? As cheesey as Space Romans vs Space Gauls is I found the game to be rather endearing but I don't remember other games like Warhammer Online being anything special in the art or lore department. It was rather bland to tell you the truth.

There's an old 40K game called Chaos Gate, which is basically X-COM with Space Marines. It's fairly good, but it was designed for Win98; you might have trouble getting it to run.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

It took nearly three months, but I finished Kingdoms of Amalur plus the House of Valor and Legend of Dead Kel DLCs. I'm one of those sperglords who just can't let a sidequest go unfinished, and this is a massive game. I'll probably buy more DLC, but not for a while. 109 hours of playtime have left me kinda burned out on the game.

I only bought one game during that time: Mass Effect III. I've played some multiplayer, which is fun in small doses, but I'm not touching the singleplayer game until the Extended Cut is released.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I spent most of my gaming time the last couple of months playing Mass Effect III Multiplayer, but I did manage to play a few of my other games. Most of which were complete dreck.

BEATEN: Cogs. I actually crossed this off in January, but I never posted about it in this thread. I don't know if I'm just not cut out for puzzle games, but I eventually rage-uninstalled this. I marked it as Beaten because gently caress this game, I'm never touching it again.

BEATEN: Commander Conquest of the Americas. I really wanted to like this game, because it has the same setting as the 1994 version of Sid Meier's Colonization. What I got was a game with boring and shallow mechanics, and it goes out of its way to hide critical information from the player. I wasted my money on this one.

BEATEN: Crusaders Thy Kingdom Come. This game was actually loads of fun. Until the last mission, where the difficulty just spikes through the ceiling. In every mission before this, you can crush the enemy with almost zero losses if you're skilled enough. Not the last mission; to even have a chance of victory you have to sacrifice a minimum 3/4ths of the army you've been carefully expanding and upgrading from the word go.

BEATEN: Legio. A computerized board game. It might potentially be fun if you've got another person to play with, but the AI is just brain-dead. I didn't enjoy this much.

BEATEN: Majesty II. gently caress this game. No really, gently caress THIS GAME. There's no balance to the difficulty curve, just an endless uphill battle. I eventually started using Cheat Engine to give myself unlimited money, and even then there were several missions that took multiple attempts to finish. Trial-and-Error gameplay in its most irritating and obnoxious form.

BEATEN: And Yet It Moves. When people use the phrase "Generic indie platformer", they're talking about this. It's technically competent and artistically talented, but it's just incredibly boring to play.

BEATEN: Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West. There is something sad about a multiplayer-only shooter that has no playerbase. I played a few rounds, but there's only 10-20 people still playing this, so not much point getting invested.

For now, I'm going to do another playthrough of Dragon Age I, because I never got around to playing the Awakening expansion pack. Once Origins+Awakening+DLC is finished, I'll import my save to Dragon Age II. I want to see if it's really as bad as everyone says it is.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Gilgamesh posted:

The reason unfinished is so high is because there are a lot of games that I was done with (as in, I never want to play them again), but I didn't "beat" them. What do you guys do in this situation? Null?

I just mark them as Beaten.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

ManxomeBromide posted:

[*]Half-Life 1 Anthology, since I've never played any games from Half-Life. Half-Life and Opposing Force are backlogged. Blue Shift is not, however, since I literally only own it because it was cheaper to buy a pack with it in it than to buy HL and Op4 separately.

Blue Shift is just as good as HL/OF, and if you enjoy those two then Blue Shift will be well worth your time. Don't write it off that easily.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I did well during the sale. I only got three new games; Bad Rats, Rock of Ages and Trine II. Two of them were gifts.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

BEATEN: Rock of Ages. It looked like so much fun; where did it all go wrong? Boring and repetitive as all gently caress.

MASTERED: Bad Rats. I unlocked all the achievements, and it was with great satisfaction that I pressed the "Delete Local Content" button. Seriously, never play this game if you can possibly avoid it.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I just spent a couple hours updating my Backloggery profile, and it turns out I've been very restrained in the 6 months since I last posted in this thread. Surprised the crap out of me. I only bought a small number of new games: Call of Duty Warchest (I/UO/II), L.A Noire, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, The Walking Dead and a load of DLC for Dungeon Defenders, Mass Effect III and Tropico IV.

BEATEN: Crayon Physics Deluxe. I played about 10-15 levels before I said "gently caress this" and uninstalled it forever. Marked as Beaten because I've played it as much as I ever want to. Just not my thing.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty I. I know this series gets a lot of poo poo, but I really enjoyed this game. I can see why the franchise grew so massive. CoD I is worth playing for the Russian campaign alone, especially the Stalingrad levels. Yes, I know the Stalingrad levels are a total rip-off of Enemy at the Gates.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty: United Offensive. I think the single-player in UO is better than the base game. The developers just went and created the most spectacular levels they could, and let the player worry about the difficulty of them. The stand-out campaign here is the British one; UO's Russian campaign just feels like a re-tread of CoD I's.

BEATEN: Knights of Honor. A mediæval strategy game with the best espionage system I've ever seen in a strategy game, it manages the rare trick of continuing to be fun even after you've conquered half of Europe and no-one else can realistically challenge you.

STARTED: The Walking Dead. I played through the first episode, but I had to stop. I think I'm too socially inept to play this game. Everything went horribly wrong, and I had a reverse Midas touch: everything I touched turned to poo poo. I can't shake the feeling that every single character in the game would have been better off if they had never met Lee Everett.

MASTERED: Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. I've only put a couple hours into the Steam version, but I played the CD version to death back in the day. I've seen everything the game has to offer. If you haven't played this, you really should.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

al-azad posted:

Call of Duty, United Offensive, and CoD 2 have the best single player campaigns. With Modern Warfare the single player took a backseat to multiplayer so there are fewer missions, more story-only sequences, lots of turret sections, and fewer non-linear attack/defend type levels. Remember that awesome defend-the-house missing at the end of UO? I think they have one of those in past games (MW2) and no more. World at War did have one of the coolest turret sequences in an FPS, though.
You mean the mission where you're in a ruined mansion / apartment block and Germans pour into the courtyard below? That one took me a few tries to get past; I kept getting killed while scrounging for ammo.

al-azad posted:

As for The Walking Dead, welcome to the franchise! The name of the game is "bad poo poo happens to good people" and "humans are worse than zombies."

So, I should just bite the bullet and get used to stumbling blindly from disaster to disaster?

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

Right now I'm playing one of my unnecessary purchases during the past winter sale, Kingdoms of Alamur: The Reckoning. Honestly I don't think it's very great. The combat is pretty fun and flashy, I agree with a few posters upthread that the world and a lot of the quests are almost aggressively uninteresting. In the world-building, a lot of the most generic fantasy stereotypes are laid on so heavily that if I didn't know any better I would think it was a parody. It's sort of like an inverse application of Poe's law. I'll probably ignore everything but the critical path or just quit playing soon.

Yodzilla posted:

This is what I'm doing right now and I can feel my will to even critical path it draining. There's just so much content in the game and it's obvious they put a lot of work into it but absolutely none of it is interesting. The game is easy, combat is fun at first but then you realize how simple it is and it gets mad repetitive and the story telling is just bad. I can't make myself care about any of the characters or the awful setpieces (the "war" you fight against like five people at once is a joke) or the terrible quests. And more than any other game I can think of it really does feel like the entire world is on pause until your character saunters into town to solve everyone's banal problems. HEY CHOSEN ONE COLLECT THESE THREE WATER JUGS AND FLIP A SWITCH FOR ME. How about go gently caress yourself.

And who thought that building a big open world but constraining it along narrow paths like Final Fantasy XIII was a good idea? I'm the Master of Fate and I'm going to change everything OH gently caress A FENCE WELP I GOT NOTHING GOOD LUCK GUYS. At least in Skyrim you have the pleasure of exploring a beautiful world that actually sort of feels like people are living there. You can climb a mountain and jump off a waterfall and just kinda do whatever. Here it feels like you're playing an MMO on an empty server and oh hey you want to jump off that waterfall? Better hope a developer decided to put a jump point in the water or else you're taking the long way around!

Chief Savage Man posted:

I know about twelve people who bought KoA and none of them finished it. When you feel you've hit the wall, you have and it is time to move on because it doesn't get any better. There's no 'boring stretch' or world-changing event that makes it interesting. It just keeps puking generic bullshit at you, relying on the combat until even that gives you a headache. Seriously whoever finishes that game gets an endurance award.

Does this make me a total weirdo for loving KoA: Reckoning so much I did every single sidequest in the game? Took me 100+ hours for a single playthrough. Which reminds me, I still haven't finished that last DLC; I should get around to it sometime.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

COMPLETED: Spec Ops: The Line. What the gently caress is wrong with you, Walker? The bit that really got to me was not using the white phosphorous on the refugees, it was when I gunned down the civilians who lynched Lugo. After I finished, I read the game's SA thread and discovered there was actually a choice in that second part. I felt like poo poo when I found that out.

COMPLETED: Bastion. My second playthrough, so I could make the other set of choices. It's still a brilliant game.

COMPLETED: L.A Noire. This is very much worth playing, and I loved it. Mini-review of each part of the game: The Street Crimes were very repetitive. Traffic is light and largely uncomplicated fun. Homicide will always leave you uneasy at the end of each case (appropriate, considering what real Homicide detectives go through) with a double dose at the end of the desk. Vice has the best cases and most entertaining partner in the game, but the groin-kicking at the end really hurts. Arson is mostly meh, with the Nicholson Electroplating case being the only really good part. The end of the game is a real let-down; the combat in L.A Noire is functional but rather boring, and they made the last case almost entirely gun-based.

COMPLETED: DLC Quest. It's a fun little platformer, but the satire kinda fell flat. Given that it's only $3, I'd say you should play this.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I didn't progress much in the last few months. Two new games: Europa Universalis IV and Knights of Pen and Paper +1, plus a few bits of DLC.

MASTERED: Dungeon Defenders. I've done it all. Every achievement unlocked, every campaign map and challenge completed. I do enjoy this game, but it is ridiculously grindy. It was a lot more fun once I started using cheat programs; I could just find one good drop and copy it as many times as I wanted. I think I'll give DD2 a miss, though.

COMPLETED: Trine II. In gameplay terms, this game is virtually identical to the first but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much; don't know why. This is why I didn't buy the Goblin Menace DLC. A piece of advice for anyone who plans to play it in future: Don't turn on hardcore mode until you can do a New Game+ run. Hardcore mode is virtually impossible without several level-ups under your belt.

MASTERED (again): Mass Effect I. This was my eighth play-through; I wanted to try out the Sentinel class and skip the romance options. Harder than I thought; turns out Liara is incapable of recognizing anything but the bluntest of rejections. Kaidan gets the idea far quicker.

NULLED: Europa Universalis III. The new and much better sequel comes out in a few months, I'll just wait for that. Hopefully EUIV makes playing the Inca Empire much more enjoyable than EUIII did.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

COMPLETED: Sengoku. This game is incredibly boring, with nothing to do but conquer land. It is often described as a beta test for Crusader Kings II; it's not. The character mechanics are too insubstantial for it to be that.

COMPLETED: Papers Please. I loved this so much, I put in the time needed to get all the achievements. It really shouldn't be as absorbing as it is; a paperwork simulator? If you had described a game like that before I played PP, I would have laughed at you. Glory to Arstotzka.

COMPLETED: Knights of Pen and Paper +1. It's a fun and relatively uncomplicated dungeon crawler RPG. That said: the combat is extremely repetitive, and that's pretty much the entire game. If you're not hooked in the first 10-20 minutes or so, you never will be.

BEATEN: Portal I. Yeah, it took me a while to get around to this one. Everyone here knows about Portal already, and yes, it is as good as everyone says.

COMPLETED: XCOM Enemy Unknown. This is the best game I've played in years. What really stands out is that when a mission goes horribly wrong, it doesn't feel like an arbitrary "gently caress you" from random chance. No, when things go wrong it's usually my fault; I foolishly assumed low cover would be good enough, or I spent my turn killing the Mutons when I should have targeted the Chryssalids.

COMPLETED: XCOM Enemy Unknown: Slingshot. I actually liked this DLC pack, as it offers an early chance to get your hands on some late-game equipment. The missions are somewhat harder than normal though, especially if you try to get a few captures along the way.

COMPLETED: The Stanley Parable. Like others have said, words can't quite describe it and you really should play this yourself. It's worth the time and money. My favourite endings were Confusion and Mariella.

BEATEN: Torchlight I. It's Diablo I all over again. This is one of those games that sucks you in and keeps you playing even when you're not actually enjoying it much. I did have fun with it, and I'll definitely reinstall it for another go sometime.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty II. This one wasn't as much fun as CoD I, or even UO. It seems like the series is already getting stale, I hope CoD IV is better.

Next, I really really want to play Enemy Within, but I've heard it has some major bugs, so I'll wait for the first patch. Guess I better get on with my playthrough of the Mass Effect trilogy before EA shuts the servers off permanently.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I've bought only one new game since November, and I finished it right after I got it so that's good.

COMPLETED: CastleStorm + all DLC. A fun little game; best described as a cross between Angry Birds and the flash game Age of War. It is very repetitive though.

COMPLETED: Mass Effect III + all DLC. After playing it, I agree with the people who call it 30 hours of awesome finished off by 10 minutes of drooling stupidity. I was really enjoying myself until the Catalyst appeared. As for the DLC: From Ashes was excellent because it gave us Javik, Leviathan was probably the best (I'm a huge lore sperg), Omega was strangely insubstantial given how long it is, and Citadel really didn't match the rest of the game, in my opinion.

COMPLETED: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning: Teeth of Naros. I'm unsure how to describe this DLC; I don't feel like I got overcharged or ripped-off, and yet it still feels like there was something major missing from it.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty IV: Modern Warfare. It's the best Call of Duty I've played so far. The plot strayed a little further into Hollywood action movie territory than I'd like, though.

BEATEN: Game Dev Tycoon. Far too frustrating to enjoy, as it goes out of its way to hide the mechanics from you. The result is a game that comes across as one where failure and success are completely up to random chance. I didn't like it.

BEATEN: Teleglitch: Die More Edition. Yet another roguelike, mostly generic. Maybe I didn't play enough of it to really get what it's about, but I wasn't having fun with it.

COMPLETED: Codename Gordon. A boring 2D sidescroller, the only interesting thing about it is its status as a sort of Steam easter egg.

Up next is a playthrough of Disciples I and II.

One last thing: Who else in this thread actually bothers to give their games reviews and star ratings on Backloggery? I'm wondering if I'm the only one.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'd say if you enjoyed this, I think it would be worth following up with Modern Warfare 2. Its a direct sequel plotwise. That's about it as Call of Duty is concerned.

I've been playing them in release order, so World at War is up next for me. I'll be looking forward to MW2 after that, though.

pigdog posted:

There's no reason to play the first; the gameplay is similar I guess, but the second one looks much better, and has like half a dozen expansions worth of content.

I've already played the first, I'm just replaying it now. It seems to me like DI has far smoother animation than DII; that could just be because DII doesn't like Win8.1.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I really need to stop buying massive RPGs and strategy games.

PLAYED: Plague Inc: Evolved. This is the first Early Access game I've tried. I had a lot of fun with it, but I can't mark it as finished because the game itself isn't finished. I'll come back to it when it's out of EA.

COMPLETED: Unholy Heights. Boring, shallow and insubstantial. I only spent $4 on it and I still feel ripped-off. Marked as completed because you can see everything the game has to offer in 5 minutes, max.

COMPLETED: XCOM: Enemy Within. An amazing expansion pack. The base assault and hive missions, the new enemies, the Progeny mini-campaign; it's all brilliant. The only thing I didn't really enjoy were the MEC Troopers. I tried them once; it convinced me that genemods are the One True Way. That cloaking genemod was just so incredibly awesome.

NULLED: Entente: WWI Battlefields. It's an old RTS. I really wanted to play this because WWI games are very rare, and it looked like a fun Total Annihilation knockoff. Sadly, it can't run on Windows 8, and I can't be bothered setting up a Windows 98 virtual machine.

COMPLETED: Thomas Was Alone. I was pointed to it by this comic. The game is good and enjoyable, but the story was just OK. It didn't impress me anywhere near the amount the comic writer claimed it would.

COMPLETED: Divine Divinity. I played the first couple hours years ago; the first few hours are a Diablo-style dungeon crawl that isn't much like the rest of the game at all. A pity, because this game is good, mostly. Its main problem is that it may be too long; I got kinda burnt out towards the end. Don't let that stop you from playing it, though.

COMPLETED: Disciples I: Sacred Lands. I completed the Empire saga again, plus the Undead one. I completely burnt out on it at the beginning of the last Mountain Clan mission, and I'll probably never touch it again. It's a very good game though, so don't let me put you off it. The fact I paid just 14 cents for it way back when feels like I ripped someone off big-time.

Up next: I'd like to play Beyond Divinity and Divinity II, but I'm bad at making plans. I'll probably just play whatever I'm in the mood for, as per usual.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

So I didn't get much done this month.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty V: World at War. This was better than any of the other Second World War games. I'd rank it just a hair under Modern Warfare I. I kinda got the impression that Treyarch cares way more about the single player than Infinity Ward does. The Zombies mini-game was decent too.

COMPLETED: Watch_Dogs + all DLC. I've only done 97% completion, because gently caress the drinking mini-game. I want to say it's good. It's the only game I've played since it came out over 2 weeks ago, but I can't actually recommend it at full price.

Despite all the fun things to do in this game, the player character Aiden Pearce is such an unlikeable fucknugget that he drags the rest of the game down with him. Others have mentioned how he's a sociopath who's vigilante war on crime is mostly just a weak excuse for his anger management issues. That's not what really made me hate him. What really got to me was how massively ungrateful he is. One example is when Jordi Chin, who does Aiden heaps of favours over the game's run, asks Aiden for a simple favour in return. :geno:: "I don't owe you anything". Another example is repeated a few times over the course of the game: wherein Aiden demands (not asks for) people's help, and then refuses to let them know what kind of clusterfuck they're getting involved in, or even why they're hacking this server/decrypting this data/shooting this guy etc.

Now that I've finished venting, there's a shitload of activities in Watch_Dogs, so here's the fun ones:
Side Missions: The Criminal Convoy and Gang Hideouts were great fun if you like the combat.
Investigations: Human Trafficking, Missing Persons and Weapons Smuggling are the ones you want.
Mini-games: I enjoyed the Chess, NVZN and Poker games.
Online modes: Team Decryption is the only real stand-out among them, but ctOS Mobile, Hacking and Tailing are kinda fun. Do not play Free-For-All Decryption, gently caress no.
Digital Trips: Alone is the best of them, but Conspiracy! and Spider Tank are good too. Madness and Psychedelic can gently caress right off.

Of the various bits of DLC they've put out: The Breakthrough Pack is just another Criminal Convoy with a few lines of exposition. Palace Pack is a Gang Hideout with some extra collectibles, way more content than Breakthrough. Signature Shot Pack is rather irritating to play, and the gun you get from it is useless. The Exclusive Missions are a decent little mini-campaign. Conspiracy! was fun.

NULLED: Tropico IV + DLC. There's no reason to bother with this now that Tropico V is out.

Next up: I don't know. It's a toss-up between the Dragon Age series, Batman: Arkham Asylum and that Spellforce: Order of the Dawn demo.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Given that I've never heard anyone say bad things about Arkham Asylum, I guess I'm playing that.

I wasn't particularly eager for a 4th run-through of Origins, but I kinda have to given that I never played Awakenings or Dragon Age: Gigglesquee, and I want to play Inquisition when it comes out.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I've only bought one game from the sale, but it's still early.

COMPLETED: Batman Arkham Asylum. Everyone who said this game is awesome - you were completely right. One of my favourite bits was when I was finishing up the Riddler's challenges, and got to hear him being arrested. Payback was so sweet. That said, I'm strangely unenthusiastic about Arkham City; I probably won't bother picking that one up.

COMPLETED/PLAYED: Heroes Rise: The Prodigy and Heroes Rise: The Hero Project. So interactive fiction finally comes to Steam. I know Choice of Games, they've put out some really enjoyable text adventures in the past, so why did they choose to have this utter garbage as their maiden offering? Pretty much all the characters are either boring cliches, creepy sex objects, or lifeless husks only a hair removed from cardboard cutouts. The plot is more heavily railroaded than the Call of Duty games I've played. The writing is about as exciting as cold pasta. Despite all this, the first game held my interest long enough to finish as it promised that all the plot threads it left dangling would be resolved in the sequel...

...which was a pathetic, unoriginal parody of reality TV, mixed with a cheap knockoff of Bourne movie conspiracy bullshit. I uninstalled in disgust. :siren: Do not buy these games. :siren: Not even for 10¢.

I've decided to take notes from Fart of Presto, and everything I've played but have no intention of ever returning to should just be marked off, like what he does. I've got enough games to not be worrying about completing them all. With that said:

PLAYED: 1914 Shells of Fury. This is a First World War submarine game, and I had to pick it up for sheer uniqueness alone. WWI games are very rare already, and this might be the only WWI sub sim in existence. I did enjoy this; it's very friendly to new players, and even now two years later I can remember the time I sank three British cruisers in the space of just 10 seconds. That was brilliant, but the mission took a half hour before it got to that point. 95% of the game time is spent in transit, 4% aiming, and only 1% of the game is those golden moments. I wish I had more time, and I hope to go back to it someday.

PLAYED: Dungeons of Dredmor. According to Steam, I've put 74 hours into this, making it my 4th-most played game. Last time I played it, I made it as far as the 11th floor. However, the prospect of doing all that over again... nope. It's very good, but I just can't bear to make the effort again.

PLAYED: Europa Universalis: Rome. It's good. My fondest memories are when I played a Celtic tribe in Britain. I created the United Kingdom 2000 years early, and assigned the British queen as the commander of the British Home Fleet. Having said that, I can't go back to it because it's very primitive and missing a lot of the quality-of-life improvements of the latest Paradox games.

PLAYED: Frozen Synapse. I played a couple single-player matches. I get the impression that multiplayer is the real draw to the game, so it's not for me.

PLAYED: Greed Corp. Very boardgamey, if that's a word. I gave it an hour, it didn't really interest me.

PLAYED: Hammerfight. I hurt my wrist playing this. I was actually kinda interested, but the controls make it a write-off.

PLAYED: Metro 2033. Gave it 30 minutes. I've heard it's actually good, so maybe I'll come back to it in the future.

PLAYED: Montjoie. A computerized boardgame. It might be fun with another person to play against, but vs AI it's just dead boring.

PLAYED: Rome Total War + expansions. Really good game, made even better with the (Extended) Rome Total Realism mod. I poured dozens of hours into this back in the day, never actually finished a campaign though. However, the Alexander expansion is definitely the thalidomide baby of the three siblings.

PLAYED: Supreme Ruler 2020. Abandoned this when I couldn't work out what the hell was going on.

PLAYED: Sword of the Stars I. This is another great game I never actually finished, mainly because the late game drags on and on. Everything before that was fun, though.

PLAYED: AGEOD's World War One Gold. I thought Supreme Ruler 2020 was filled with unnecessary detail. This game makes SR2020 look like Bejeweled. Strangely, I think it's way more interesting than SR2020, and I might actually return to it at some point.

Next up: I'm sticking with Steam games until the end of the summer sale. Crusader Kings II and The Walking Dead Season I it is. I haven't decided whether or not to buy TWD 400 Days and Season II yet.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

The final damage from the Steam sale: Don't Starve + DLC, the complete Age of Wonders series, Call of Duties VI:MW II, VII:BO I, and VIII:MW III, some Sanctum DLC, a load of Magicka DLC, the entire Bioshock series, including DLC, and finally Dishonored + all DLC. :shepspends: I have only myself to blame.

PLAYED: Don't Starve. Spent an hour playing, decided it wasn't my thing.

COMPLETED: Crusader Kings II. I marked this as Completed, even though I never finished it. That's because this game threatened to eat my whole life. I had to stop playing when I did, otherwise I'd still be playing CKII this time next year. Brilliant game.

PLAYED: Hearts of Iron III. Tried it, couldn't work out what was going on. There's only a few player-made tutorials I could find, and none of them were written for the latest expansion. Moving on.

PLAYED: Naval War Arctic Circle. Boring as all gently caress.

PLAYED: The Walking Dead Season I. I tried to get into this, I really did. I ended up having to force myself to keep playing, which is never a good sign. So, it's on my Will Not Finish list. I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's just not to my taste.

PLAYED: Sanctum DLC. I don't know what happened. I used to really like Sanctum; I finished all the maps and had a lot of fun doing it. It was the first game I ever listed as finished on Backloggery. When I came back to it recently, the game suddenly bored the poo poo out of me. I tried playing the old maps, but they were now dull as dishwater. I don't know why the game no longer interests me, and it was a bit of a mind-gently caress to discover that.

COMPLETED: All of the Magicka DLC. Most of it is various flavours of frustrating bullshit. The only ones I'd actually recommend are Final Frontier, Marshlands, Vietnam and maybe The Other Side of The Coin. The rest is very iffy, except Grimnir's Laboratory which is the absolute worst. Grimnir's is the only Magicka DLC I didn't finish, and the only one I feel was a waste of money. Don't buy it, ever.

A productive two weeks, as I've finally gotten my backlog down to under 100 unfinished games! :dance:

Next up: Since the people in this thread generally have good taste, pick a package from my inventory, and I'll crack it open.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Since havenwaters got in first, I'll play Dishonored.

PowerBeard posted:

How far did you get through it? I found the game a bit underwhelming for the first two episodes. But I can assure you it picks up at the third episode and keeps the pace right up. Though I'll admit I enjoy Point and Click games and QTE Adventure games, which I know don't appeal to everyone.

I didn't get very far; only up to the bit where I was in Lee's family pharmacy, looking for pills of some sort. Pretty much everyone says TWD is really good, but I just couldn't get into it.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

I'm happy to see that I have influenced some people into just cutting through the bullshit and enjoy the games that actually feels fun to play, while accepting the loss and move on from all the crap, we all have in our backlogs.

:shobon::respek::)

Well, you didn't seem too concerned about making sure you got your money's worth out of every last game. So, I gave your method a try and what do you know, I'm actually happier doing it this way.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

COMPLETED: Dishonored. It takes a while to get going, but once it does it's fantastic. I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed it even more if I hadn't gone all achievement :spergin: and aimed for the Clean Hands/Ghost/Mostly Flesh and Steel trio. I got them though, so it was kinda worth it. However, I have heard that if you choose to use all the fun powers and tools, you get punished for it with a poo poo ending.

PLAYED: Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials. I gave up on this DLC, as it was rather boring. I played long enough to see the mindfuck bits of Burglary and Kill Cascade, then consigned it to the digital boneyard.

COMPLETED: Rise of Nations: Extended Edition. I played this 10 years ago, and I loved it to death. I played it again recently, and I got bored out of my skull. I guess I just lost interest in repeatedly building the same base over and over again. I'm still happy it's available on Steam though, even if it's not my thing anymore.

COMPLETED: Dragon Age I: Origins: Awakening. I preordered this back in March 2010, and it took me 4 and a half years to get around to it. I spent the whole of August playing Origins + DLC, in order to get ready for Inquisition. I'm still not brave enough to install DAII, though. As for Awakenings itself, it's kinda bland and buggy but there were a couple of interesting ideas in it. I did enjoy it enough to finish it, after all.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty VI: Modern Warfare II. I have very mixed feelings about this game. On the one hand, the gameplay is smooth and enjoyable, and the short little 2-player co-op missions are quite possibly the best idea the CoD series has ever had. On the other hand, the plot was full of holes. It's not that several plot points are poorly explained, those plot points are straight-up not explained at all. Where did Makarov come from? I actually checked the series wiki. He's not even mentioned in MW I, but now he's a primary antagonist. Shepherd describes him as a man with no ideals or loyalties to anyone but the highest bidder, but he's fanatically devoted to Zakhaev and we never find out why. Why does Shepherd betray Task Force 141? It comes out of nowhere, it's never justified, and it makes no sense. If it hadn't happened, Ghost and Roach would've handed over the intel from the safehouse and gone right back to hunting Makarov. All he did was throw away assets for no reason. So, wonderful gameplay, story written by people with recent head trauma. Still worth it, in my opinion.

Up next: I'm so very sick of fantasy. It's either going to be Endless Space, which I impulse bought at full price, or getting started on the X series with Beyond the Frontier.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

An entire week without a new post in here!! What the gently caress!!

4 days :spergin:

COMPLETED: X I: Beyond the Frontier. Both the design and technical aspects have aged poorly, but I still loved it enough to put 60 hours into it, including finishing the main storyline. However, it's a major annoyance that you can't really make money by bounty hunting like you can in Elite. The game more-or-less demands you build your own space stations if you want to afford the best weapons and equipment. Overall, despite the fun I had, I can't recommend it to everyone. Only a small number of people would enjoy putting up with its flaws.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty VII: Black Ops I. The gameplay wasn't quite as smooth and well-designed as MWII, but the plot was better. The plot is admittedly just an action thriller-style excuse for a series of exciting gunfights, but at least there were no major plot holes like MWII had. Just ignore that the events of BOI would have most likely caused a full-scale nuclear exchange between America and Russia.

COMPLETED: Majesty II: Kingmaker. The first expansion to Majesty II is kinda bland and uninteresting, but it never became as geniunely frustrating as the second half of the base game's campaign got.

COMPLETED: Tomb Raider 2013. I'm not quite sure what to think of this. The moving, platforming and puzzle bits were smooth and polished, but combat was a bit sketchy and the plot was a little generic. It never completely abandoned the interesting parts in favour of boring gunfights the way L.A Noire did, but it's somewhat lacking substance if you're not interested in picking up all the collectibles.

Ultimately, it's still worth playing, but the future of the series is in doubt because Square is following the incredibly irritating footsteps of Bioware and Ubisoft: pushing parts of the core plot into the Expanded Universe. There is already a novel and a 12-part comic that covers the gap between this game and the next one, and that sort of poo poo really shouldn't be supported with money or praise.

Up next: It's Crappy Fantasy RPG time; either Beyond Divinity or Dragon Age II. I'm leaning towards DAII, because I've actually heard at least some praise for that. I've never heard a single word in support of BD. After that, I'll play something actually good, and get started on the Bioshock series. Even the worst Bioshock game, number 2, generally gets nothing worse than "It's more of the same, but basically alright."

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

This backlog is taking much longer than I thought it would.

PLAYED: Hammerwatch. It looked fun. I played it for an hour, and discovered that it's significantly less interesting than it appears. Ah well.

COMPLETED: Descent I. This game was a major part of my childhood, but I never actually finished it before. After loving this game for nearly 20 years, the actual ending is very anti-climactic. Still one of the best games around, though.

COMPLETED: Valiant Hearts: The Great War. Do you own this? If yes, play it immediately. If no, buy it immediately. Don't wait for a sale on this one, it's really worth full price. This is an absolute masterpiece.

COMPLETED: Dragon Age II + DLC. I went into this with very low expectations. I was actually pleasantly surprised. It's really not up to the first one's standards, but it's okay enough. However, it really is the worst game Bioware's made since the godawful single-player in un-expanded Neverwinter Nights. Maybe I'm just easily amused though, since Origin tells me I played 103 hours of it anyway. The DLC: Exiled Prince isn't very good, because Sebastian is kinda boring and the sidequests aren't interesting either. Legacy is just a generic dungeon crawl, it's only notable feature is that it offers unique locations. Which is a far bigger deal in DAII than in other games. Mark of the Assassin is the only DLC I'd call "actually good".

COMPLETED: Majesty II: Battles of Ardania. Another boring and poorly-balanced entry in the Majesty franchise. Why do I keep playing these awful games?

Up next: I've got 5 games already installed, so I guess I'll play those. Endless Space is one of them, and it's generally considered to be a good game.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

The Steam sales did major damage to my backlog. I really must remember to not get involved in the 2015 sales, no matter what. I have enough games to play already.

PLAYED: Endless Space. It's nicely polished and all, but it bored me into a coma, mostly because there's nothing new or interesting about it. A very generic sci-fi 4X game.

COMPLETED: Majesty II: Monster Kingdom. The developers *finally* got the hang of this whole game design thing, and the last Majesty II expansion is probably the most fun I've ever had with the Majesty series. That said, I'm very happy that the game is now uninstalled forever.

PLAYED: Moonbase Commander. It's fun for a couple of hours, but eventually you'll find that the game is very very repetitive. Didn't finish.

PLAYED: Shovel Knight. I played for a bit, but the missable things turned me off. This game is a completionist's nightmare. Why didn't anyone tell me I could dig up the campfire for more gems? Or that the dream sequences come with a power-up? That said, I'm pretty sure I'm going to reinstall it at some point; unusual for a game I've marked as Did Not Finish.

COMPLETED: Bioshock I. This is a fantastic game. It wasn't as amazing as it would have been on release though, mostly because I've played a number of newer games that stole shamelessly from it. Still very much worth your time and money

PLAYED: Leviathan: Warships. This game's main problem is that the level designers weren't talking to the rest of the design team. For example, the ships are all realistically slow to manoeuvre, but the levels are small and cramped, so your fleet ends up taking massive amounts of collision damage from friendlies and sinking. Not recommended.

Next up: I was stupid enough to buy the Watch_Dogs season pass, so I guess I'll have to play the DLC for that. After that... I can't decide. Child of Light? A Game of Dwarves? Reinstall Shovel Knight? So many choices...

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, wow. First off, if you're stressing out about missing a bit of money from a campfire, just stop. You realize you can replay beaten levels for more money, right? Some dream sequences have chests after you wake up. It's kind of impossible to miss those, though, unless you do so on purpose. So, whatever you thought you were missing out on, you almost certainly aren't. And even if you somehow do, you can get them on New Game+.

Yodzilla posted:

Also you get so much money in that game that it quickly becomes meaningless. Just do what a Shovel Knight do and have fun playing it.

In my defence: I might have a touch of the 'tism.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

PLAYED: Watch_Dogs: Bad Blood. This DLC gives the impression that it was made entirely from half-finished bits and pieces cut from the main game. The less obnoxious main character is balanced by the fact the side missions are noticeably worse than the main game. Really not worth anyone's time and/or money.

PLAYED: A Game of Dwarves. The dwarven theme is obviously meant to evoke Dwarf Fortress, but it plays more like a traditional RTS than DF. It has two major problems, both pacing related, which destroy any possible enjoyment: 1) You need various resources to do much of anything, but the maps are mostly random. If you're unlucky, it can take a full hour of playtime to get the resources necessary to even begin taking on the quests on the map. 2) Once you have started the main quests, they drag on long after they stop being fun. I spent 3 hours on the very first mission and according to a walkthrough I hadn't even reached the half-way point of it. Avoid this game.

COMPLETED: Shovel Knight. So I went back and reinstalled this, but I'm not sure if I actually liked it. It got very frustrating in parts, and it's definitely not for everyone.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty VIII: Modern Warfare III. The story is a confused mess, and all the game's good points have already been done in previous CoDs. The Spec Ops Survival mode is a thinly-disguised copy of Zombies mode from World at War / Black Ops. Gunplay is taken unchanged from MW II. Its best feature, Spec Ops Missions, also comes direct from MW II. The end result is a weird game that is pretty, polished and fun, but ultimately has no identity of its own.

COMPLETED (again): Deus Ex I. I got the urge to reinstall this and complete it for the 28th time. This game is OK I guess.

Up next: Deus Ex II: Invisible War. It's a way better game than most people give it credit for.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

I played these several months ago. At the time, I was kinda lukewarm on them, and I've only cooled more and more since then. The big first stab at text-only interactive fiction on Steam, and it's this loving garbage.

I still regret paying for Heroes Rise.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I've been slacking off.

COMPLETED (again): Deus Ex II: Invisible War. It's still a great game, and it holds up well today.

PLAYED: Darkest Dungeon. It's an interesting game, but I'm not sure if I enjoy playing it. Still, I'm glad I crowdfunded this. I'll come back to this one after it's out of Early Access.

COMPLETED: Disciples II: Dark Prophecy. I struggled with this one for two months. It's basically the same game as Disciples I, but somehow it's far less fun to play. It honestly bothers me that I can't explain why this bored me shitless, despite my love for the first game.

PLAYED: Disciples II: Gallean's Return. They took Dark Prophecy, threw away any semblance of balanced gameplay, and called it an expansion pack. As boring as the base game, with the added "bonus" of nothing but fake difficulty top to bottom. It does have one thing going for it: its' character and story writing is far, far better than DP. That still can't save it though.

PLAYED: Pillars of Eternity. This is so good. I've played a few hours, and it looks like everything I hoped for when I backed it. I'm going to put it aside for a year or so, until the expansion is released and patched.

COMPLETED: Deus Ex III: Human Revolution: Director's Cut. It's way better than I thought it would be. The controls are a little clunky and there are a few spots of eye-wateringly bad writing, but they're very minor problems. DE: HR's real flaw is the boss characters; the Director's Cut made the actual fights better, but it couldn't change the fact the bosses are just one-dimensional bad guys, with no real characterization or personality at all. One last thing to mention: I spent most of the game hating Taggart's guts, but at the end I thought that he was the only one making any sense. I can't decide if that's good writing making me rethink my opinions, or if it's just the ending being inconsistent with the rest of the story.

Next up: I feel like playing Game Dev Tycoon again. After that I'll reinstall Dishonored and play the two DLCs starring Daud .

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

COMPLETED: Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials. I hated this the first time I played it. I loaded it up again, and suddenly all the trials got 3-starred on both Normal and Expert and I had all 10 achievements. DCT's problem is that it's very hit and miss, and by focusing each trial on a specific aspect of Dishonored's mechanics it really highlights all the flaws in those mechanics. Though when a trial focuses on working mechanics, it's loads of fun.

COMPLETED (again): Dishonored. The game's still great. I did a Low Chaos playthrough again. Didn't want to be forced into the bad ending.

COMPLETED: Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall. This is better than the main game. Less unnecessary padding, better level design, everything is just wonderful. Its biggest flaw is that Daud's voice actor... was pulling a William Shatner... with way too many... pauses.

COMPLETED: Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches. It's very polished and all, but I didn't like it as much. The maps feel like the designers were allowed to run wild, and the player was an afterthought in said map design. The story, despite some great bits of dialogue, was somewhat padded; two-thirds of the levels revolve around getting a boat so you can travel to where the big bad is living, something you learned at the end of The Knife of Dunwall. Daud's VA did find his rhythm, though. Overall, I'd call this the weakest of the three story campaigns in Dishonored.

COMPLETED: Deus Ex: The Fall. I wouldn't say it's bad, exactly, just incredibly bland and uninteresting. The plot goes nowhere as it was obviously planned to be an episodic game before low sales caused the other episodes to be cancelled. The developers tried to put in the trademark Deus Ex multiple paths, but they failed, leaving areas where shooting your way out is the only option. The one good thing about this game is that some of the augmentations that were crap in Human Revolution got redesigned to be worth taking. Pick it up if it goes on sale for around a dollar or so, otherwise don't bother.

Next up: Call of Duty IX: Black Ops II. I plan to get through the 3 remaining PC Call of Duties before Black Ops III comes out.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

COMPLETED: Call of Duty IX: Black Ops II. Something of a mixed bag. I liked the introduction of optional side missions and the way you can make a few significant decisions yourself, but the plotline really is a trainwreck, even by Call of Duty's usual low standards. The actual gameplay is basically the same as previous CoDs.

PLAYED: King's Bounty: The Legend.
I played this for two hours, waiting for it to start being fun. Never happened, so I gave up on it.

PLAYED: Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising. The plot's a bit questionable, but I was enjoying this a lot, until two-thirds of the way through. I played a mission almost to the end, and I found a bug that meant I had to replay the whole 4+ hours of the level again from the beginning. All my desire to play the game immediately vanished like morning mist, and I uninstalled.

PLAYED: Clicker Heroes. These idle "make the numbers bigger" games keep me playing long after I stop having fun with them.

COMPLETED: Contrast. A wonderful little platformer, the mix of 2D and 3D platforming works so well; I loved it enough to 100% all the achievements. The visuals deserve a particular mention, both for the excellent use of shadows (sort of the whole point of the game) and the beautiful 1920's aesthetic. One major negative, though: it has the habit of hiding critical plot details in collectibles, so an already ambiguous storyline can become completely incomprehensible.

COMPLETED: Beyond Divinity. This game is terrible. Awful voice acting, a complete failure of a skill system, boring characters and plot, lifeless combat. If it wasn't from the same developer, you'd think it was a cheap knockoff of Divine Divinity. One of the worst RPGs I've ever played.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty X: Ghosts. The story is a complete failure from start to finish, to the point where it's a waste of time to list specific plot holes. The game is nothing *but* plot holes. It doesn't even have BOII's minor improvements to the single-player campaign to justify the horrifically bad writing, which leaves it with nothing but the same gunfights I've done a thousand times before in previous CoDs. Honestly though, Modern Warfare II was the high watermark of the CoD series, and since then it's all just been "more of the same". At this point, I'm pretty certain I won't be going anywhere near Black Ops III.

Next up: I'm going to play the shorter games I got in the Steam Sale. Speaking of which, I bought the Winter Voices complete pack; anyone play it? How long is it?

EightDeer fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 25, 2015

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

al-azad posted:

Why did you finish Beyond Divinity? I gave it until the second chapter before deleting that poo poo.

I thought something in BD might end up being really significant in the rest of the Divinity games. It's why I forced myself to do every last sidequest.

I will say this in the game's favour though: Its soundtrack is a masterpiece, when it's not reusing music from Divine Divinity. It's way better than the game actually deserves.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

COMPLETED: Rock Zombie. This is a side-scrolling beat-em-up, with some major flaws. The boss fights are buggy, the controls are a bit awkward and the "female rock band" aesthetic really doesn't add much to the game. Despite all that, it's strangely compelling, and I had quite a lot of fun with it all the way to the end.

COMPLETED: Evoland. The "journey through video game history" thing lasts you about halfway through the game, after which it's nothing but a mix between a generic JRPG and a knockoff Zelda game. It's an OK game, but nothing special.

PLAYED: Redshirt. This is a lot less fun than the store page makes it look. I played it for a couple hours, and was bored for every last minute of it.

PLAYED: Pre-Civilization: Marble Age. A turn-based strategy game with some really interesting game mechanics, and some really awful ones. The constant shifts in my opinion, between "this game is awesome" and "this game was developed by brain-damaged jellyfish" eventually wore me down, and I uninstalled it without finishing.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty XI: Advanced Warfare. This is the best CoD game since 2009's Modern Warfare II. The plotline is pretty good, and the introduction of variable grenades makes a major shift in the series's gameplay for the first time in years. This is the first CoD game I actually bothered using grenades; it's so nice to be able to choose what you want your grenades to do at a moment's notice. In contrast, the Exoskeleton that got so hyped up in pre-release marketing is more of a gimmick than anything else. The light RPG elements to the story campaign are a nice touch too. I don't know if it's the new studio or the extra year of development time that makes such a difference, but I love it anyway.

COMPLETED: Bioshock II. More of the same, really. I though this game had a better plotline than Bioshock I, but the gameplay is nearly unchanged from the first game.

COMPLETED: Bioshock II: Minerva's Den. Again, this is just more Bioshock. Good story, though. Minerva's Den does have one thing going for it though: excellent level design. In that aspect, it's better than the previous two Bioshocks.

Next up: Agarest: Generations of War. I've heard that the gameplay is an over-complicated shitpile though, so I think this might get filed under "Will Not Finish" quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

PLAYED: Agarest: Generations of War. Yep, this one was a waste of time and money.

COMPLETED: Champion of the Gods. Another CYOA text adventure from Choice of Games. The story was a little short on substance, but it was still light-years ahead of the Heroes Rise games. That said I'm not buying anything from Choice of Games until they implement an Undo button. Which will be shortly after hell freezes over, given the company head of Choice has some weird moral stance against putting that option in their games.

COMPLETED: Hero of the Kingdom. I'm not sure what genre this game is. Hidden Object? Feather-light RPG? Point-and-click adventure? Whatever it is, it's chill and relaxing. Its extremely simple gameplay is actually one of its biggest strengths. You should all play this game.

COMPLETED: Sakura Fantasy: Chapter I. A visual novel that keeps hinting at a plot instead of actually delivering one. The characters tended toward cliche with only a couple moments of actual interest. Despite this, I am interested in picking up Chapter II if it ever gets made.

COMPLETED: Panzer Corps: Wehrmacht. It's mostly a straight remake of the old 90s wargame Panzer General. I got Russia to surrender in 1941, followed by the UK in 1942; didn't manage to get the US, they chose to sign a peace treaty at that point. I played it for 161 hours, so obviously I loved it, but despite it's gameplay improvements it's actually of lesser quality than old PG. I'm still annoyed that they cut the North African campaign from the main game so they could sell it as DLC.

COMPLETED: Transistor. It's basically more Bastion. Which isn't a bad thing; I loved Transistor enough to get 100% achievements, but I could never shake the feeling that I'd played this game before; Transistor never really develops an identity of its own. Bastion and Transistor are basically the same game, just that Bastion has a better plot and Transistor has better gameplay. Choose whichever appeals to you.

Next up: I've got a lot of games in my backlog, but since I finished Transistor I've put another 33 hours into Crusader Kings II help i cant stop playing it