Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I finished TCG, and the epilogue where Fiddler wants a spot to fiddle, and tells Silchas to get the gently caress outta my seat was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Nigulus Rex posted:

They are not like elves, christ.

Gay whiny twats? gently caress yeah they're like elves.

Nimander totally redeemed himself, and the entire Tiste Andii plot actually went somewhere finally, but christ which a bunch of whiny assholes. It was so hard not to skip over anything that mentioned "super-ultra-black skin"

Edit: Yes, that is still my stance after finishing TCG.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I dont want to read ICE's stuff, I read NoK and was astounded that it even went to print. It was like reading the Magic The Gathering books with Gull the woodcutter. Or Tasselhoff Burrfoot.

I'm probably going to read the RotCG just because there simply isnt anything else I want to read and I'm bored, but I am dreading it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

I don't think he was.

He became a god during his tenure as Knight of High House Death. There was a line in some book(DG or MoI) that says that Dassem became bigger than the one he served.(Hood)

Dassem Spoiler:
I thought it was that he started the whole Ascension process when he was "First Sword" and the T'lan mass (and his troops) started worshiping him.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
My name is Spermy Smurf, and I'm an ICE hater.

I read Night of Knives and hated my life for the 2 months it took me to get through it.

I got RotCG as a gift, and figured that I was waiting for GRRMs new book to come out (hahahaha, never gonna happen) and I started reading it despite saying I never would.

I'm 50 pages in, and I dont hate hate hate it like I did NoK. Does it get worse?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Grammaton posted:

His name should have been Kryle. There, that was easy enough to fix.

"What is this? Some kind of Kruppe rip-off? ICE sucks Eriksons dick and expects us to assume he's a real writer?"

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I finally read Eriksons books... RotCG and Stonewielder.

They werent nearly as bad as NoK, but still pretty terrible dialogue.

Now I want more. Of anything in the Malazan universe. I dont care who writes it or what it is about, I just want more...

God damnit.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
What characters will be ruined in this one?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Wallet posted:

As far as Esslemont goes is he really just loving terrible or is he terrible next to Erikson?

We've been spoiled with Erikson, and the world he built is so freaking amazing in so many ways... Now we watch a writer half as good try to not gently caress up the characters and world setting that we know so well.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Habibi posted:

Beak. :smith:

He did what he had to for his friends. He was happiest he'd ever been at the end.

I'll never forget that one loving line in the book. He's telling the marines/adjuct a story about his childhood and it ends with something like: Why is everyone crying?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Ennui is Malazan for "Stupid emo-ness that is dumb and annoying" right?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Maybe the Tiste Andii will be really arrogant instead of emo. That'd be cool.

It's hard to be arrogant when you're too busy crying and wetting yourself with gayness.

Also, I'd rather hear about the Seguleh by an actual Seguleh, if we heard about them from Rake it would be an outsiders perspective. I want to know more about their inner workings.

Edit: You know what? I'm going to read every Karsa chapter, then read every Nimander chapter, and I'll post a trip report. We'll see which one makes me compare Erikson to Esslemont R.A Salvatore. Also, I really seem to enjoy commas for some reason.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 4, 2011

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I dont know who recommended Joe Abercrombie, but I just finished The Blade Itself, and now rush-shipped the next two. Too bad they wont show up till Tuesday at the earliest.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I got 2 copies of the necromancers trilogy for christmas. Anyone who has not read them want one? Just paypal me $3 or so for shipping and claim it in the thread. Captaincrunch00 at hotmail

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Abalieno posted:

It's like saying that shamanism isn't the same of Medieval magic ;)

Different cultures, different magic. Take for example the Barghast gods. As Erikson said, Malazan pantheon is "protean".

Understand that, and you understand a rather pivotal point.

I need about 6 words in this post defined for me.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I still have that 2nd brand new copy of the Necromancers (Korbal and Bauchalalalalanian) that I'm willing to send to someone who doesnt have it yet.

Going to just toss it in a normal envelope, if you want to paypal me a buck or 2 for shipping that'd be great.

First one to PM me gets the book.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 12, 2012

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Levitate posted:

If you can't read LOTR then that's kind of sad

Why is it sad? I dont enjoy 20 page poems and songs. No writer has ever made them interesting to me. But marines philosophizing is fine with me.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Orb Scepter Throne is actually very good, much better than the previous ICE books. It's not perfect but it's on par with the top half of Erikson's books.

In the first 5 pages of the prologue (in OST) Kruppe sounds like he went full-retard. He's not Kruppe the long-winded genius, he's Kruppe "Simple Jack" The Retard.

Or was that just me? Read Kruppe from Eriksons books when he talks to the Alchemist, then read that conversation from OST.

I stopped reading right there for the night. :( I'll pick it back up tonight and see if it gets better.

Edit: These arent spoilers I dont think, the book takes place in Djar Dharjus the big D city where all these characters live.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
OST Spoiler/questions: Why dont the Moranth ever use the big badass rocket launchers and the other more powerful weapons that we hear about in Bonehunters? Doesnt make sense to run into an army of Seguleh with only sharpers.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Hondo82 posted:

I haven't read it yet and its gotten mixed reviews here, but Ian C. Esslemont's Night of Knives: A Novel of the Malazan Empire is one of Amazon's cheap ebook deals for the month at $2.99.

Go buy a 40oz of Colt 45 or whatever amount of weed $3 will get you, and you'll enjoy that much more than this book.

And no one ever answered my question on the last page.

Orb, Scepter, Throne spoilers Why didnt the Moranth use the badass rocket launchers, and whatever other neato weapons we heard about in Crippled God, in the fight against Seguleh? A bunch of sharpers doesnt seem like a good thing to storm a castle with, when you could fight your way into the protective circle, then blow the gently caress out of the castle. Sharpers worked in the castle, so other stuff should have.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 2, 2012

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It just seemed like such a huge fuckup on Esselmonts part, I didnt know if I had missed something obvious as to why they didnt use anything bigger.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

Unfortunately, he does show up again in an Esslemont book. Might be Return of the Crimson Guard if I remember right. I kind of wish they'd just left Coltaine alone though. Not every loose thread needs to come back.

He does? As a child? I must have missed that.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Nimander is never "emo" and I still don't know how that got started. Is it that difficult to internally separate his personal thoughts from his outward actions? 'cause Nimander pretty much keeps that poo poo to himself and then does what needs doing.

His personal thoughts and outword actions may be the same as Rake but the way he comes off in the story is pure sissy. Annoying, he does nothing till the last 9 pages of crippled god. Clip is a useless character that is hard to care about as well.

It was fun to read about when Tool and Envy destoyed the poisoned towns, just painful to read about Nimander and crew doing the same.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
This might be the dumbest thing I have ever written on the Internet.... My copy of Forge of Darkness has Eriksons autograph in it. It honestly looks almost like it was printed on, but I can't imagine every single copy of Forge of Darkness says "To Irene: Grill Cover! Xxx SF" in it.

I bought this "new" from amazon and shipped from amazon so i have no idea wtf. Googling it, it legit looks like his autograph.

I guess my question is: does anyone else's say this?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 15, 2013

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Tau Wedel posted:

I think the G is actually a lowercase b, so the note says "brill cover". "Irene" could then be Irene Gallo, the art director at Tor Books. No idea why that particular book would end up at Amazon, though.

That makes a lot of sense. Much more than what I thought.

I sent her a facebook message asking if the book was hers. Someone mind twittering her? I dont have an account.

https://twitter.com/IreneGallo

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I can't believe I am about to say this, but I am nearly done with Esslemonts Blood and Bone and I don't hate it yet. I actually chuckled out loud at one part... I only did that on my first read of Eriksons stuff.

The writing is better, character driven, and I haven't been jolted out of the story by poor writing in a long time.

Bravo, Esslemont.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Ethiser posted:

I'm trying to remember but weren't all there houses all beat up and in poor shape.

I think that the houses in poor shape was just an illusion or something.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Dalmuti posted:

this and nazi caveman zombies are what keep me coming back

I am so confused. What caveman zombies were there and how were they nazis?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Habibi posted:

Also: I finally hit upon earlier today what annoyed me more than anything about Orb, Sceptre, Throne - ICE starts off the novel with a mention of Karsa residing in a canyon or something not far outside Darujistan, the book is in large part about a Seguleh invasion of Darujistan, and yet there was no encounter between Karsa and any of the Seguleh.

drat was that a case of serious blue balls or what.

I agree with this. It was explained away as 'and people think it is haunted so they don't go near it.' Dumb.

I am rereading OST now and if you skip the Kiska and Leoman parts the book flows much more smoothly. I don't hate it as much as I did the first time. The characters aren't written as well as Eriksons, but without Kiska and Leoman the book is much better. I didnt miss anything important by doing that either, did I?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Habibi posted:

I don't think he has enough dialogue to allow that. Most of the cool Karsa stuff tends, IMO, to be written or said about him rather than by him.

Agreed that his actions are badass. Most of them are preceeded by "Witness." as well.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

snooman posted:

From what I've read so far his traits are all inherent and he resists magical effects. He also used an oil derived from or similar to otataral as a combat buff/aphrodisiac (and wooden sword maintenance).

Thats Karsa.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

Do the ICE books follow a common story or are they all self-contained? Just how much worse is the writing in them as well?

Don't read night of knives. Skip the entire Kiska storyline in Orb, Scepter, Throne.

There are parts to skip in the others but I can't remember which part goes in which book.

The writing isn't as good, but steadily improving. The last book he wrote about Kallor didn't make me think "Why am I reading this?"

That being said: I have read every word of all of his books at least twice. I just can't get enough of this world.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Dalmuti posted:

I prefer to call them keychain shemales

:hfive:

Did we just become best friends?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
There is a marine trainer dude named Braven Tooth that nicknames the marines as they come through training. It's a Malazan marine thing. It's usually based on character traits.

Without spoling anything: The marine named Limp has bad knees for instance.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

apophenium posted:

Digging into Orb, Sceptre, Throne now and it's a little like watching one of your more reckless friends play with your favorite toys. They aren't quite playing with them right and you're afraid they'll break them or something. ICE definitely improves from book to book, but I can't help but feel afraid when he's handling some of my favored characters from the Erikson books.

That was me saying to skip Kiska chapters. Read it once, I read it twice. Then when you reread, the third time skip it and see how much better it is.

Also the analogy you used is spot on and I love it. I plan on using it to describe Esselmont from now on.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Well, he was caught, enslaved, tied to a board for months, and he learned the error of declaring single man war on everyone that breathes.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Xachariah posted:

You know Quick Ben gets a lot of telling not seeing about him being a smart bastard. So it was nice to see him actually live up to his name for once.

Quick Ben isn't even at his meanest yet. You just made me pick that book up and reread it again.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The scene was loose on details.

It's not his fault, he had no choice but to randomly make poo poo up about a 13 book series.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Levitate posted:

Have a link to where that might be?

I dont think it's ever explicity stated.

But Kruppe rides a mule too. Kruppe and Pust both with mules and both being central to Shadowthrones plan. They get about a hundred references to the mules when no other beast of burden gets mentioned. Also: The mule sets up camp one day for Pust.

I am bad at explaining. Pretend I didnt write anything and wait for someone else to post why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

amuayse posted:

Well one complaint I have is that the power levels of the Avowed are all over the place. Iron Bars was able to take down several gods and punch out Rhulad. Then he gets beat up by a random Seguleh.

I think the gods we're just ascendants and Seguleh aren't exactly normal.