Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Being a railroad manager is like being a K car, there is quite a few of you, your quite disposable, and your just getting by.

At least you're (probably) not going to develop a leak in your throat, and suddenly start spewing milk out of your neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Willfrey posted:

So apparently a stolen train crashed into a house in Stockholm yesterday...

Maybe he just didn't want to walk from the station to his home, in the snow?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zeether posted:

I just saw this picture on Tumblr with people saying "Oh my god, imagine how great this would be" and all I could think of was "This won't work at all and I can give a million reasons why":

Any national plan like this would suffer the same problem the Florida High Speed rail project was facing: Every congressman/senator/mayor/city council/department of commerce on the entire right of way is going to want a stop in their podunk town, so that their citizens can ride the magical choo-choo full of low-carbon-emission ponies and bio-fueled rainbows all the way to Disney World. The Florida version was proposed at a 170-190mph operating speed, but probably would have had average speeds less than half of that.

Additionally, the state rightly pointed out that while the fed was gleefully trying to shove money into the construction project (HEY LOOK WE'RE CREATING JOBS,) when it invariably went over budget, the fed would be nowhere to be found, and when ridership ended up being a quarter of projected, the fed would be similarly difficult to locate. The project was quietly taken out back of the Capitol building in Tallahassee and shot. The only people that would have won would have been Disney.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

That's how it works in the UK, and, well, I'll let the Foreign & Commonwealth Office explain it: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/safety-and-security

Although we also have much stricter vehicle inspections and licensing standards (and higher costs :argh: )

If you have a pulse and an address, you can get a drivers license here in the states. Its terrible. :smith:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Strawberry posted:

There are no good landings on today's railroad (speaking of class 1's here). Even if nobody is hurt its a big deal. All accidents are preventable. Put equipment on the ground, go piss in a cup and enjoy an unpaid vacation :v:

It's the same way with airplanes. Breaking your employers stuff is frowned upon.

Walking away from the broken stuff is still preferable.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

Another view, I believe they run about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile long. Sorry, preview showed the pictures the right way.

Where in Australia do you work?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bisticles posted:

I posted this before, but it warrants reposting. The Big Boy is Big.

Either that's a singularly tiny woman, or someone was loving with that image.

For comparison:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Brother Jonathan posted:

No kidding: "Railway official Arunendra Kumar said the train was not supposed to halt at Dhamara Ghat and had been given clearance to pass through the station. However, some pilgrims waited on the tracks thinking they could stop the train, he said."

Well, they did manage to stop it, but it stopped 300 meters down the track past their mutilated bodies.

Anyone can stop a train.

Once.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Brother Jonathan posted:

Interesting article. Apparently an obsession with Thomas the Tank Engine is common:

Speaking of which, here is a compilation of crashes from Thomas the Tank Engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MUzA3RmeIM

Has a train ever made it all the way across a bridge, in that show?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zeether posted:

Florida had one chance at an electrified high speed line and it got shot down by Rick Scott. So basically we're stuck with diesels, including 4 diesel railcars on Tri-Rail, unless someone tries to bring back the high speed rail proposal when a new governor gets elected or something.

Thank gently caress. The proposals for MickeyRail or whatever the hell it was called were basically a legal way to shovel money out of the state budget and into the Disney corporation. Federal funds were available for initial construction of the first segment from Tampa to Orlando, but it had wildly optimistic ridership numbers to make the red ink stop dripping off the proposal, and in the long term, would have ended up as a Florida State Amtrak.

It would have been like getting a free Puppy. Great, it was free, but now it's pissing on my carpets and the vet bills are piling up.

FEC does have the All Aboard Florida project coming up, which will do what the FHSR segment from Miami to Orlando would have done, but is privately funded.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There's something distinctly... Weird.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Ohhh high speed trains look so very strange with open nose cones

:a2m:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I do believe this is a runaway diesel locomotive. Runaway in the diesel sense, not the locomotive sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvMl8LUzQnk

It just wants to be a steam engine. :3:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I don't understand trying to beat a pax train. They take like fifteen seconds to go by. At least with a slow freight train, you have the tiny motivation of the damned thing taking ten minutes to lurch past you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ugh, I was going to have an awesome rebuttal to the above statement, but now the news article is down.

Long story short, some kids tried to cut through a freight train that was stopped when he stepped onto the knuckle, cars lurched foward (cushion drawbars, lots of slack) and then stretched out and fell onto the tracks. Train was moving forward and pretty much sliced and diced the guy.

MYO found the head.

Don't cross the tracks with out looking folks.

Don't take my statement in the wrong way. You should ALWAYS yield to the train. Even (especially when it's stopped, now that I hear that story,) if it's stopped.

I was trying to say that I completely fail at understanding risking your life for what literally can not be more than a one minute inconvenience. How self-absorbed and ignorant of your surroundings do you need to be to try to beat a train at the last moment?

Somewhat related question: Here in Florida, passenger trains are very short, compared to freight. Is there anywhere in the states or the rest of the world with long passenger trains, upwards of forty or fifty cars? We routinely see 80+ bulk cargo freight trains, as a comparison.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

9axle posted:

Some do, some don't. CSX is very focuses on short-term right now, and it's beginning to show. We are constantly short people and equipment. Track speeds are getting slower and slower, engines aren't being serviced, crews are being worked more and accomplishing less, yet we have record profits. The railroad is being run into the ground here. We can't get a UPS train across the road on time on a sunny day anymore. Our managers don't manage, they put out brush fires and struggle to just keep trains moving with fewer and fewer assets. It feels like working for a bankrupt company.

CorporateAmerica.txt

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iospace posted:

UP 4014 (the 4-8-8-4) is on the move. They put her between UP 4014 (the SD70M) and UP 4884, and tacked a bunch of flats at the end for extra braking.

I'm most certainly not the biggest railfan out there, but I do wish more companies in other industries took their heritage and history as seriously as UP seems to.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

B4Ctom1 posted:

I put it up with my memorable experiences from the first gulf war as far as historical significance.

My problem now is.. I have a lot of career years left. A lot of years of life. Can I top this?

Getting into the steam program and driving it around is the obvious answer, here.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zeether posted:

Did those turbojet trains ever work?

Imagine, for a moment, a pair of J-47s on a pylon, at max continuous power, thundering through the middle of a city at ~80mph.

The noise complaints would be phone-meltingly hilarious.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

FYI, the united states is 3.8 million square miles. We have a population of 319 million.

The EU is 4.4 million square miles. You have a population of 507 million. That's fully 40% higher population density.

There also is that little thing called WW1/WW2 that flattened half the loving cities and allowed them to be rebuilt at least partially in a sane, modern way.

This doesn't even tell the whole truth, since large portions of the US have extremely low densities, and even urban areas in the US tend to be significantly less dense than in Europe.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Force-huffing someone else's corpse-smoke is a pretty awful way to go.

Was it a stereo-typically packed Japanese train, or did someone just hang out around the man-candle too long/was trying to help?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

atomicthumbs posted:

i heard from somewhere that the driver was drunk and when the gates came down he mistook the level crossing for a parking lot

Props to the cop who drug him kicking and screaming away from squishiness.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So is the NEC actually getting upgraded to take advantage of the new train sets, or are they buying Ferraris and then driving them around with 65mph limiters?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wolrah posted:

Dunno, in terms of the things that can go wrong when trying to hop trains it could have ended a lot worse.

I was disappointed it didn't end with him smeared alongside the train or in jail.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Axeman Jim posted:

So the dreaded "Pacer" has to be withdrawn by 2020 (giving it a 35-year life instead of the 20 it was intended to have) because it will not meet the safety and access standards required by that date, and, in glorious British tradition, our traction chiefs have been thinking: "How we can build something cheap and poo poo as a "stopgap" that will undoubtedly end up in service for half a century anyway, like the previous two generations?"

Introducing the class 230:

It's an old London Underground train from the 1970s, withdrawn and replaced by LUL, with a diesel engine jammed into it to turn it into a diesel-electric multiple unit (DEMU). As "cheap and poo poo" goes, it's very much in the tradition of the Pacer. But at least it meets the access and safety requirements, and has proper wheels and suspension and is generally built a bit better, despite being 10 years older than the trains it's supposed to replace. They've put the prototype into service on the Coventry to Nuneaton line, a line that badly needs extra capacity due to a football stadium and new station recently being built and some new housing estates springing up along the line.

So far the testing is going really well:

:britain:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-38470783

If I could :five: an individual post, I would.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's absolutely shocking to me that no one has made a derail pun yet.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fire tube boilers are generally a bit more compact, and easier/cheaper to maintain, though they lose out on a bit of efficiency and operating pressure.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Are all wheels on a modern diesel-electric driven, or just certain trucks/pairs?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

JuffoWup posted:

It won't be used for hauling any other president that dies?

I believe Reagan and Bush were the last ones to use trains for anything significant while
in office, which is part of why the train is a thing in the first place.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Speleothing posted:

Clinton did a rail tour as part of the reelection campaign. I know because we walked from our gradeschool to the nearby stop to hear a meaningless stump speech.

Edit: or maybe it was for the Gore campaign, but it was definitely Bill who did the talking

I take back my comment, apparently Clinton and Obama have used trains as well. Obama took one to his inauguration I guess? I try not to pay attention to the news, which causes me to miss details like that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sincx posted:

Or... you know... you can just have the linear motors directly move the train

Fun fact: the prototype L0 actually has two turboshaft-powered generators onboard to generate electric power for propulsion, so technically it's a gas-turbine multiple unit. The production version will get power via induction coils in the trackway.

The scale of that photo hurts my brain.

Also, L0 is a dumb name for a train.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What I don't get is why they kept using side rods instead of gearing them directly to the axles.

When you already have a steam locomotive chassis, every problem starts looking like a tie-rod.

Or something. :v:

It’s worth noting that the first steam-turbine ships (including HMS Dreadnought, a 20,000 ton battleship,) had to be direct-drive from the turbine, because large gear reduction sets were developed later. Big gear sets are much harder to make than big power.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Still blows my mind that UP runs a steam program, let alone decided to restore and run a Big Boy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Are the cylinders on 4014 arranged with a high and low cylinder on each drive rod, or is one set of wheels using high pressure steam and the other low pressure?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ahhh, thanks. Pictures and video of it are simple to find, but a steam schematic was surprisingly not.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Regardless of its successes and failings its Raymond Lowe designed streamlining made it one of the most interesting looking steam locomotives ever built.

The same Raymond Loewy that went on to design the iconic livery for the USAF’s VC-137 fleet (which persists to this day on our VC-25s,) among numerous other things through the twentieth century.

The man is a loving legend, basically.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Whittier tunnel in Alaska is a dual use single-lane rail/motor vehicle tunnel. They turn the tunnel around every fifteen minutes or so for car traffic, and have fifteen minute blocks set aside for scheduled Alaska Railroad trains in and out of Whittier.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Those aren't model trains, that is a highly-distributed-traction switching locomotive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sounds like an infrequent train to relocate accumulated rolling stock to me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The superglue dude rocking back and forth during the chorus kills me every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Do diesel locomotives generally provide hotel electric power for heating, or do the pax cars use combustion heaters?