Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

The league has a scheduled break coming up this weekend due to Memorial Day. So they've condensed the schedule this week to add in the extra game we would otherwise miss. I've currently played 3 games in 4 days, and have another one tomorrow. Gotta admit it's fun as hell to be playing so much, but I think if I did this every week my wife would kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Awesome first game and first goal story. Glad those guys were real cool.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

xzzy posted:

Quick, I need a catchy team name that conveys the concept of "we are a bad team and our goalie will be seeing 100 shots".

Best I got is 'Negative Corsi' but that's pretty lame.

"98-99 Sabres"

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Met an ECHL player at a party over the weekend. He's been playing pro for 5 years and had a bunch of injuries this past season, so he's leaning towards retiring from the game and coaching. I didn't even bother telling him about the men's league because I'm sure it would be a joke compared to the level he plays, but I immediately kicked myself for not at least getting his number in case he ever wanted to skate.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I went on vacation with my family to Orange County the other week, and decided to pack my small hockey bag with some roller equipment. Then I shipped a wood stick from icewarehouse to the house I was staying at, which arrived in 1 day. Best decision as I got to play a pick-up game at Heritage Park one weekend. One of the highlights of my trip out there. Also the hockey bag was great for packing non-fragile items that wouldn't fit in my luggage on the way back.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I believe it was 3 years for me to do backwards crossovers. Then it took 6 years to be able to stop on my weak side. And just recently after 9 years I finally got comfortable stopping on my outside edge only.

Just gotta keep working at it. However as everyone else mentioned, during games you can usually work around weaknesses. For example there's not many situations where it helps stopping on your weak side rather than your strong side necessarily.

A new player probably benefits more from learning proper positioning. You can be a great skater, but if you're out of position then everyone will probably hate you. However, if you're always in position, you at least set yourself up for a situation where your skating techniques can be used.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Played a team last night that's 2 divisions above us. The league coordinator likes to use the first half of the season to figure out what level teams should be at, so he gave us this inter divisional game. Needless to say, we all figured the running clock mercy rule would go into effect by the second period.

Also I've mentioned it a few times, but I haven't scored a goal since last April. Lo-and-behold, 3rd period in our zone the puck bounces off one of their guys skates to our defenseman, and he springs me with a pass straight up the center for a breakaway. At top speed I fake a forehand, toe drag it, and slide the puck in the net backhand. Granted the goal made it 4-2 in their favor, which was the final score, but it's nice to finally get on the score sheet again. Even against a team that maybe was sandbagging it defensively at the end.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I think Mammoth hockey still makes the most durable bag on the market. It's literally truck tarp used to make the bag, and the straps are essentially seat belts.

https://www.mammoth-hockey.com/products/ipa-2-1

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I was once on a team where a guy would regularly take 5 minute shifts. Like if he ever changed before 5 minutes, it would be a remarkable exception. One game he took a 10 minute shift, sat down for a minute, then took his usual 5 minute shift. Never scored either shift. No one complained because he had previously been convicted for assault and was prone to fits of rage. We got him off the team after that season by saying the team was disbanding, and then we reformed under a different name.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

What model Vapors are those? The older ones have the screw under the footbed. I believe steel is sold in sets of 2 anyway, so you probably would replace both.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Got to the final with both my weekend and weeknight team. Lost both of them. Oh well, great season anyway.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

If anyone is interested in playing a pond hockey tournament in Vermont Jan 26-28, let me know. My team has 1 spot open. https://frostbitefaceoff.com/ is the tournament.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

bewbies posted:

have you guys that use kids sticks tried out the 20 flex variety, it might be right up your alley.

Battlemode, Coach Jeremy's brand, has that beat. 17.5 flex stick: https://modehockey.com/collections/frontpage/products/battlemode-17-5-flex

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I'm reading the ESPN article on Caroline Park, who lives in New York and is playing for the Korean women's ice hockey team this Olympics. At one point it says she was playing rec league before the Korean Ice Hockey Federation called her, which made me wonder if it was the same person who used to fill in for my team 5 years ago. So I checked my old emails, and lo-and-behold, it's her. Pretty drat cool.

Always knew my level of play was practically equivalent to Olympic athlete :smuggo:

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Just bring all your stuff in a black garbage bag for max cred.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

z0331 posted:

Based on the stick length discussion I decided to use a stick someone had given me that is about an inch and a half shorter than my usual one, and my puck control I think was definitely a lot better. It was just easier to get the puck where I wanted it to go.

Problem was it was really heavy and so shooting with it is like using a 2x4. I think I just need to finally get a new stick that's not the cheapest I can find.

Tron Hockey has 30% off their TronX sticks today if you use code HECS30. These are the knock off versions of top end sticks they copied from CCM, Bauer, and Easton. I'm a big fan of the Velocity (Easton Synergy knock off) and the Tesla (CCM RBZ knock off). The Velocity is awesome for stick handling, and the Tesla is great when I want that twitchy quick shot with power.

They also have the Heat (Bauer Supreme) and the Kinetic (Bauer Nexus), but I haven't tried those. I used to be a top of the line Easton guy, but switched over when one broke and I saw these had come out. Feels just like the regular brand, just at a lower price.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

https://customhockeyuniforms.com is pretty good. They have the best price for everything from simple cheap designs all the way to top end twill. They even have a large array of logos you can use out the box, but they're really good with custom logos too.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

prom candy posted:

I scored a garbage goal on Wednesday to break my weeks-long scoreless streak but it got called back because the net was off. I'm on the ice 3x/week (2 games, 1 class) but I feel like I've really hit a plateau. I'm not even really sure what I should be working on... ripping shots in my basement maybe? I'm starting a full time remote job in April so I'm hoping I can hit up daytime shinny more often and just do some solo work on the ice. Class is fun but I don't really need generalized instruction aimed at a group of 15 people with wildly different skill levels, I just need reps of the stuff I suck at. How do you guys get over these humps?

Sounds like you might be better at stick and puck and just working on different drills. Ripping shots on your own net never hurts, but also consider working on your stickhandling. If you're on the ice you might as well use that time wisely and work on edge work and acceleration.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Verman posted:

No surgery! Had the option of a traditional fiberglass cast or thermoformable removable option. I went removable.

Recovery of 6-10 weeks.

I celebrated with fried chicken on the way home from the doctor.

This right here is what adult league hockey is all about.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

You can try using some epoxy mender like this https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Plastic-0-85-Fluid-Syringe-1363118/dp/B0044FBB8C

Only a few bucks, so it's worth a try.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I used to take slapshots at the point when on D, but honestly I'm a lot more accurate just wristing it in high instead. Also if you ever watch Brent Burns you'll notice he mostly throws wrist shots on net from the point. It's more important for it to find a way to the net, and end up as a potential deflection or rebound, than it is to have a lot of power.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I get mine sharpened once per season, about every 3 months. I play twice a week on average, so that's about 24 games. Then on average I'm probably skating for like 20 minutes a game. So that's about 8 hours of total skating between sharpenings.

I used to do 5/8", and it was definitely faster in a straight line at high speed, but I had a hard time with lateral movements, and losing people in the corners with side steps, so I moved back to 1/2". Much easier to accelerate now, although I expend more energy keeping up that speed. Doesn't matter though, I could use the additional cardio.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

One of my teams didn't make the playoffs, so we've already been off for 4 weeks. The schedule for the new season came out and we're not scheduled for a game for 2 more weeks, meaning an insane 6 week off-season. This is so long I've even started hitting up the exercise bike instead. Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Has anyone been playing regularly with the CCM Game On mask? I saw Bauer just came out with their version too. Curious what peoples thoughts are. So far what I've read appears to be really positive. Although I'm wondering if this is like putting a band aid on a broken bone with all the things I've read about covid spread in a rink.