Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I volunteer as a big brother and recently got my little brother into playing hockey. I played a ton in high but moved to a place with no ice for college. Now back in an area with a rink and him playing, I've got the bug to play again. I've got a pair of CCM Prolite 3s from the mid-90s with one of the blade screws that sheared off. It looks like 18 odd years finally took it toll. Where can I find replacement screws, local shop doesn't have them? I was looking on Ice Warehouse and saw replacement set but not sure if they'd fit, I'm assuming the will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

RocktheCaulk posted:

Scored off a face-off today. Cleanest win I think I've ever had. Goalie wasn't even set yet at just said "Aw gently caress!" as the puck rolled between his legs. It was for the hattie as well. :feelsgood:

Are you my teammate? He did something similar the other day, not sure if it was for a hattie or not.

I'm back playing in a C league after not playing, other than pick-up, after 15 years or so. Back then it basic kids house leagues. I'm playing D, are there any good resources for pointers, etc?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Brettbot posted:

Amen to that. Although it's so fun that I'm starting to get antsy only playing once per week. :ohdear: I wish I could play more, but access to ice time is the limiting factor, thanks to work.

At least you're not in a league where they were most likely drunk as poo poo when they came up with the schedule. Two weeks off, then back to back games, then almost a month off and more back to back games. :wtf:

I picked up the Bauer Supreme 170s the other day after skating on a cheap rear end pair of Reeboks. Haven't tested them on the ice yet but they felt great when I laced them up. After baking them they're even better. I'm jonesing to hit the ice to try them out.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Same skates I got, luckily there is some pick up tomorrow morning I'm going to play in to get used to them before my next game. First time I ever had the thermomolding before as well.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
drat that is awesome, I wish I had that for tonight.

Tried my skates out today, I love em. Took me about halfway through pickup to get used to them. Definitely going to hit up free-skate before my next game. I have stopped tying to the first eyelet, gives me much better control for some reason.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of bad refs, the two tonight were complete poo poo. The guy I play D with was getting tripped left and right. A few times right into the loving boards and they didn't do poo poo about it. Ugh.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
When I played in high school I had an aluminum shaft like that. Wish I hadn't given it away. Now I look at these sticks with all the numbers and I'm so confused.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Nothing more disappointing coming off the ice after an awesome game to no beer in the locker room. Only took us about 12 games to start playing together better.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I had something like that happen to me. Foot was black and blue for a few weeks.

Speaking of skates what depth do people get sharpened at? I'm not sure how much I like a 1 inch cut. But never played with anything previously.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

A 1 inch cut? Are you a goalie or Paul Coffey?

Well the shop here is not very good. Have to drive 2 hours to get a decent sharpening.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Talking with our goalie he got his at 1/2" at the local shop. Hopefully they will be open before tomorrow's game so I can get them sharpened. When I was younger, no one ever told me about different radius grinds, etc. So I'm learning as I go now that I'm older.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

bgreman posted:

The first thing they ask you when you get your skates sharpened (which, presumably, you'd have done at least once, when you bought the skates) is what hollow you want. At least, they should if they're any good at it.

I recently switched from the standard 1/2" to 9/16", and I'm liking it so far. I can cut way harder without my edges "catching" or digging in too much.

Yeah Delaware isn't the best for sharpening. The closest best one for me is about 2 hours away. But talking with my goalie he definitely got 1/2" done so going to get that done. I can tell there is a difference between what it used to feel like when I was younger and the hollow I have now. I'm just trying to be able to skate around without looking like an rear end.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
It would help out places like where I play. The daughter is absolute poo poo and I think has no idea what a skate actually is. Her mother isn't bad but from the grapevine the guy is the best. But every time I have ever been in there he has never moved from his seat.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Blades of Steel was the best game ever. I should bust out the NES to play it.

I got sharpened at 1/2" and so much better. Though I did forget the gold rule to keep the head up and slammed a guy pretty hard. Got some nice bruises on the forehead, and a bit of a busted lip. Other guy got it right in the sternum and was wheezing for a few minutes while we both laid on the ice.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Loqieu posted:

The most important thing to know about drop in hockey is that no one plays defense. Even the goalie might be constantly looking to stickhandle the puck.

Jesus, I hate this so much. I try to play D as much as possible. Mainly because I enjoy playing D and that's what I'm comfortable with.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
A few weeks ago I broke a stick during pick up. Luckily it was still under warranty so I'm getting a replacement for it. The break is about 6 inches above the heel, is it possible to cut a bit around the break and reinforce it with a piece of wood or something similar? Basically want to fix the stick and use as a back up if possible.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
To give you an idea of where it is at. I'm wondering since it is discontinued that is the reason why. I'm not complaining, I got the stick cheap and getting a really nice upgrade for it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Thufir posted:

We've got one 20 year-old on D and one old fat guy that's smart and effective but sometimes the other guys end up out together and...:negative:

One of the oldest guys on my team plays D, but he's really good at it. I enjoy playing with him because we work pretty well together. If I get with one of the other guys it's a disaster since they like to creep up all the god drat time and don't skate back. Granted I still do stupid poo poo on occasion since I still lack confidence with the puck. But at least I'll skate my rear end off unlike some of the other D.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I'm looking to upgrade my pants. I'm currently wearing Reebok 12K that are too big for me. I'm at a weird waist size of like 37, didn't realize how big they were going to be on me. I'm thinking of going for a girdle next, any suggestions? Why is it also so hard to find green pants, I want to be different on the ice drat it!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I wish I was in an area with some many teams it required extra leagues. Right now our season is 20 games against the same 3 teams. At least everyone gets into the playoffs!

I also think something is wrong with my cat. I've caught her sleeping in my bag and just now she was asleep in my pants. Does she not realize how bad these things smell?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Glad I'm not the only one with a weird as cat.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah it's really annoying. One team is pretty much made up of players that also play as backup for one of the B teams. The other two teams I play in a private drop-in, so pretty friendly with most of them. We have a contest in the drop-in to find the worst beer ever. Current leader is Clear Creek Ice. It is loving terrible.

I do have a question. During warmup and dicking around during pickup, I can hit my slapper loving perfectly. Game time comes around and it goes about 2 feet. Suggestions on overcoming performance anxiety?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I think for me there is a big difference between drop in and actual game. Had a great wrister under pressure at pick up but game time I over think it. I've definitely improved since playing this season, first season in 15 years.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Duke Chin posted:

In ongoing boring new-skates-news: hmm, yep, can definitely confirm I'm losing a lil circulation in my left skate - Just putting them on around the house I can feel my toes going a lil pins and needle'ey. I need to re-cook this one. Which would make sense, I'm guessing, since the dude at the store cooked them both at the same time, and after I took the right one out and laced up the left had already started to cool a bit. :shrug:

I agree with lacing issue. I had a similar problem every now and then, same foot and all. I recently switched to a different lacing method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D671VgevDcg

Stopped having any issues. Took a bit to get used to but love this method.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Interesting about the pencil test. My skates fit great and I'm sure the fit will pass. I've always had trouble keeping them laced decently. They'll be the first things I put on and then tie loosely while getting the rest of my equipment on before tying. Once I get on the ice and skate, I usually have to hop off and get them fixed.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I don't do the last bit with the loop. I just do the over part of it. I also drop the first eyelet which oddly enough has really helped out for me.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've seen a few of the older guys that do it, but for the most part it's really rare from the groups I play with.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Oh man no green pants! I was more looking into green pants by thinking about switching to a girdle.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Zip! posted:

If you're after short covers talk to a company called Jersey53, their US facebook is here: https://www.facebook.com/Jersey53USA

They do single order custom stuff at (in my experience from their UK op) really good prices with quick turn around. Quality is great too.

That is awesome, I wonder how expensive it is.

I talked with one guy who was playing in Bavaria that had the greatest and ugliest jersey ever. Background was the Bavarian flag and it had lederhosen on it. It would be one of those jersey that if you looked to closely at would give you vertigo. It was amazing and I was totally jealous.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I love the matching gloves. The real question is what color pants would go with that? That is a pretty awesome jersey.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Well I've got a few months to the next season starts. Just have to decide on what style to go with. I do wonder how that dude with the fro can get his helmet on.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Well I guess I can't bitch about the ice conditions at my rink then. I don't think it's ever been to the concrete. But the area right in front of the doors for the zam is hilly. It's really strange to go from flat ice to up and down.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

someone blocked a shot on my team and it tore the holder from 3 rivets. Given that his skates were 70 dollars I think he's just going to get a new pair. Glad that thing wasn't an inch higher.

I took one on the inside near my big toe the other night. Luckily it was near the end of the night but I had trouble putting weight on it for a bit. I kept my boot on for as long as possible to keep some of the swelling down.

Verman posted:

I prefer easton pants but thats because I liked them better than everything else I tried on. According to bauer's website, this poorly illustrated graphic might help.

Vapors might have the tightest waist.

I hate pants. I'm at a size for most companies where I am between the L and XL. Large is too snug while the XL is too huge. My current pants are Rebook, which are too big for me. I need to find something fits decently.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Lose some weight, fatty.

That's why I play hockey! I used to be 324 but down to 195-200. The other issue is I'm also right between the height sizes as well, 6'2". So the large is a bit too short and the XL is a bit too long. I just need to sit down at a decent shop, there are barely none in the state of Delaware, and try a bunch of pants on.

calandryll fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 21, 2015

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

That was a jokepost, but congrats on the killer weight loss so far! I highly recommend Tacklas!

Thanks. One of my teammates lost about the same amount of weight in the last year. He started off with 3X pants and down to the M. Hockey is a pretty awesome workout. There was a guy that had a handful of Tacklas that he was selling for about 20-30 a pair. Wished I thought about trying some on to buy a pair.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Kvlt! posted:

Just a quick update for everyone:

I'm taking a skating course starting soon and then I found out that my local rink actually has a learn to play hockey course for 18+ over the summer, so I'm pretty psyched for that. It includes teaching you how to play and then you also get to play some games. So hopefully after all that I will be ready to play in a beer league next season!

Does anyone have any tips for tightening skates? I noticed a MASSIVE difference in my skating skills when my skates are loose vs tight, but I always find it really difficult to tighten them to the tightness that makes it easiest/most comfortable for me to skate. I already got my skates baked to make them more comfortable.

I've found that switching the lace pattern up a bit can also help keep your laces tight as soon as you pull them. No need for a lace puller. I do an alternating under then over and stop at the second most top eye. You can get an idea of what I mean here. When lacing I only pull at the ones that go over. Works great for me.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Someone posted a video about tinting visors awhile ago. Ever since then I've been tempted to buy one of the Tron visors and tint it green. Only thing is I don't know how bad/awesome it would be to look through it. If you can't tell I want to be equipped head to toe in green.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Haha, my Silver team has green jerseys. I already sport green laces and green gloves. I saw a forest green E700 helmet on sale earlier this week which would pair well with a green visor. I already think I look like the jolly green giant. Or Hulk. Yeah the Hulk.

I looked at an E700 in green as well. I think a nice mix of black and green would be pretty awesome looking on the ice. Well at least to me that is.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I took a shot to the toe about two weeks ago. Kept my skate on as long as possible to keep the swelling down. Still freakin' hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Now I only seem to take pucks in the toe. :negative:

This was the first time I've taken one to the toe. gently caress does it hurt, even with that hard plastic. I couldn't put any weight on it and we took forever getting the puck out of our zone so I could hobble off.