Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Hockles posted:

The #1 reason I skate with dull-ish blades, is I don't want to drive somewhere to get mine sharpened, because the pro-shop at the rinks that have them are closed by the time my game rolls around at 10pm. Are there options that are cheaper than $1000 ?

I bought a second set of blades and send them off to here. They do FBV, normal and some kind of z channel thing. They usually get them shipped back out the same/next day they arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Trim down to a mullet. Worked for 90s Jagr.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Contact is completely natural for the game. I would love to play in a check league again. But then I realize that a) I'm too old and b) it would be the first week of everyone being cautious, then turn into checkfest then when people get hurt turn into revenge hitting. Plus I know most of the guys I play with have never been in a check league before so don't know how to hit properly.

I wear a half-visor and one of the new guys in our private pickup league is crazy and almost took my lower jaw off last night with a wild swing. His idea of playing hockey is skate as hard with head down on wobbly skates. He's either going to hurt himself or someone else really bad. He hit a guy last night into the boards.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

bgreman posted:

I ordered some kelly green waxed laces last night on Amazon. I'm going to replace that ugly lime green tape with some darker green as well.

Speaking of, does anyone want 2.99 rolls of ugly, thin, lovely lime green tape?

I've found the best green waxed are the Elite brand. The others I've tried aren't the best for me at least.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one wanting to be a giant green machine.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

More Iron Maiden and pregame beers.

This man speaks words of wisdom. My drive to the rink involves a ton of Maiden. Then a beer while getting ready.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

lazerwolf posted:

Superfeet. Cages. What's next Yellow laces?!

Green laces have been proven to prevent concussions and give you sweet dangles!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I play in a semi-private pickup league and there are a few high school aged kids that play with us. They're pretty easy to get off kilter, bump them a bit while fighting for the puck and they get so pissy.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
There is a set of triplets, two boys and a girl, that play in our private pickup. They make the main bulk of the kids that play. They are all homeschooled, the two boys will not say a word. One of my friends looked one of them in the eye as they were leaving the other night and said good night. Not a single peep. The girl is at least sociable and you can get to smile on the ice. It's really creepy with the boys. And their parents are really talkative so who knows.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We had someone come in and steal some wallets during one of the league matches. They had the guy on security cameras and I found out tonight he signed in as a player for one of the teams with his real name. :doh:

I had probably one of my best shots ever tonight. A nice one timer slapper. As soon as I hit it, it felt perfect coming off my stick. It was funny because everyone parted as it was coming to the net and the goalie didn't see it till the last second. I could see the look of horror on his face as it was coming at him from the blue line. Two inches higher and I would have been ringing the back bar (goalie was already down for some reason). Figure never going to get another shot like that might as well quit while I'm ahead.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

pro tip if you are having trouble skating on ice or getting past a certain point make drat sure you are comfortable with completely changing how you stop before you put on the rollerblades

I hosed my knee hardcore the first time I played rollerhockey. I had moved to Florida where there was only once ice rink and no hockey. So I figured I'll play roller. Not thinking, I tried to do a hockey stop and my knee turned almost 180 degrees. I still get pains every now and then and that was in '98.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

prom candy posted:

Hurt my knee at soccer last night, not too bad but enough that I'm not going to go to the drop-in hockey game with my friends tonight. Hopefully it'll feel better for my last LTP class tomorrow, and especially for my league try-in on Wednesday. My first thought when it happened was "if this fucks up hockey for me at all I'm never playing soccer again"

I played soccer the other night and hockey last night. It was the first time in awhile we played outdoors. I got a really bad cramp in my calf that I've never had before. No soccer for me till they close the rink!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Brettbot posted:

Also I somehow figured out slapshots a few weeks ago. I'm dying to try one in a game, but I feel embarrassed when I screw it up at stick practice. I can't imagine blowing it when it matters.

Just do it, who cares if you blow it. During warm-ups, etc. I could get my slapper working great. Game time it was poo poo. The last 2 weeks at this pickup "league" I do I finally got my slapper working in game. And it wasn't a fluke because it was doing good last night! Just took forever.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
That's called being passive-aggressive as hell. gently caress you for wanting to score unless you backcheck!

There is one guy who doesn't want to play D on my team. Only downside is he's defense. He'll skate up and then come back lazily and does gently caress all. I don't care that he skates up but at least help me out when it's 3 on 1.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Is he playing D because he (claims he) wants to play D, or just because he's a strong skater and feels like he "has to"? If the latter, I would suggest moving him up and replacing him with someone who may not be as strong in their skates but actually wants to play the position. Assuming someone like that is available.

He's not a strong skater. I think he plays D because he wants to, even though he's not very good at it. He's also the first to bitch at everyone for problems but doesn't realize that he's the problem a lot of the time.

As for the weird runners on Grafs. One of my teammate has them and they do sound weird.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Pinky Artichoke posted:

If you do go to pickups and stick-and-puck hours or even public skate at or near that rink, it's worthwhile to talk to the other guys. I've gotten a couple of invites that way.

That's how I got on my team. Was at pickup guy asked if some of us wanted to play said sure. He said alright game is two days later. I've met a bunch of great guys by that one happenstance of turning up to pickup.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
How do you guys manage sweat into the eyes? I tried out these a few weeks ago. I liked it but it covered up vent holes on the front and made it a lot hotter. It also folded up on itself when I took of my helmet, to get a bit of cool air, and put it back on. Their video makes it look like a maxi pad commercial and one of the girls said she'd bring in a few for me to wear.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

prom candy posted:

I wear one of those skull cap things for sweat. It also helps with not getting zits on my forehead after playing which is something I really didn't expect to be dealing with at 29.

I'm 35 and breaking out like I'm a drat teenager! I've been wiping the front part of my helmet down with some alcohol and it seems to have worked.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Every single game. Our rink cuts the ice, parks the Zamboni, then lets everyone on without giving it any time to dry. It's loving retarded.

Pretty much the same. Then they start running the clock for 3 minutes of warm up. Nothing like puddles everywhere! Or not allowing enough time from the figure skaters earlier to at least make the divots smaller.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I had a really weird thing happen last night at pick up. We going for a puck when one of the older players, I think he's into his 70s, had a wild swing caught be dead center of the helmet. Didn't hit any thing other than my helmet. But gently caress if it didn't ring my ears pretty badly. Had to stop for a second because I was afraid of my balance. What's really odd is the swing wasn't hard or anything, didn't move my head at all. I think it just hit the perfect spot to resonate or some such.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I had something like that happen to me the other night. Shaking hands and the one kid I shutdown the entire night went for the old shake the hand but nope just kidding going through my hair fake out. I had a good laugh about it.

Ugh, no ice time till next Monday because of figure skating show. First world problems. :negative:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
There is a guy that does that at our private drop-in. We ran through an entire rotation and he was out on the ice the entire time. Of course when you camp the blue-line you don't get tired. He always wears a dark jersey and one reason I stopped bringing a dark to that drop-in. No desire to play with that dude. Also, the same guy that tried to start a fight with me over a bump. It's hockey dude bumps happen.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Any electrolytes? Drinking a fuckload of water will deplete them, possibly causing cramps.

I usually pop a Nuun tablet into a glass of water before games, or do a 50/50 mix of Gatorade/water in my bottles.

I think one of guys I play pick up with uses those. How do they taste? I don't like any of the flavors of Gatorade/Powerade so I tend to skip those.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah really, you've got 4 more on that foot as backup.

I've mentioned before there is one guy I play pickup with who is a bit of douchebag. Apparently, he was bitching because I was pushing him in front of my goal. Guess I've been playing defense wrong all of those years! He also tripped over his own skate near me and acted like I tripped him and started crosschecking me, with a slash here and there. I'm really begin to wonder why he plays if he doesn't want to be touched.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Oh poo poo my green pants shipped. Can't wait to sport these on ice. Of course only 3 more weeks until they melt the ice for the summer.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

I wish Tackla made some green Air 9000s. I'd buy those in a second.

Some of the guys I play with think I'm crazy for getting green pants. Haters gonna hate.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Going to practice my sweet dangles at the beach. A tad pricey if you ask me, but looks like it could be fun at a party.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Habibi posted:

Playing D is awesome. Scoring goals is nice, but so is stripping dangling fools of the puck.

Then they get all pissy that you stole an easy puck and start hitting the boards with their stick. D is the best.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
That's a football score not a hockey score, Jesus.

Got my green pants in today. Just in time for pickup tonight. Trying to decide if I should be that douche in green socks, pants and jersey.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

The secret mission of every player is to look like they collected all their gear out of a garbage dumpster.

So wear the green pants, but the jersey needs to be a budget practice jersey, inside out with a logo so faded you can't read it, mismatched socks, and giant holes. Gloves with literally no palms anymore is a bonus so when someone on the bench whines they have a hole you can show off how lovely your gloves are.

Don't forget the mirrored visor!

Hmm good point, but peacockin' is also a good choice too...

One of the guys I play with found his father-in-law's gloves from the 50s. They are huge and looking like welders gloves.

Also weird is more padding on my pants. Went from a cheap pair of Rebook to a pair of Nexus 800s.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
First rule of D is never pass that poo poo in front of the crease. I got yelled at a lot when I was younger and first started out. Stuck with me all those years. Though I do gently caress up and not think about it.

Well last night was my last skate till league starts up in September. Delaware sucks for ice. I need a bit of workout with strength, any suggestions? I need something to keep me busy over the summer.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

prom candy posted:

After my cluster gently caress game last week I'm kinda nervous to play tonight. I really felt like I let my team down. I know it's just super beginner league but giving up a turnover as a defender and watching it go in the net really sucks. So does taking a really stupid penalty.

Why do you think it's a beer league? Gotta drown the sorrows somehow! Actually, don't worry about it, your team has already forgotten about it. Just learn from it and try to remember what not to do. I still make that stupid pass right in front of the crease once in a blue moon, even when I know better.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I'm guessing contouring is the same as profiling? No icing has a pretty good description of profiling. It's a bit crazy to read with the 90s layout and marquee text.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Bradf0rd posted:

Pregame beer solves all of your cramping problems.

That's the answer to everything. I did stick and puck yesterday at 9:30 in the morning and felt weird not drinking a beer while getting ready.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Maddot_66 posted:

Anyone have suggestions for the best way to get the stink out of equipment? I've been airing out my stuff after each use and lysoling it to keep the smell at bay, but I feel like there's something more I can do.

Be less stinky than the goalie. It seems like none of those fuckers take their gear out of the bag ever.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
The grin in front of the other bench is what really sells that celebration.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I did that my first time playing roller. Didn't think about it, hosed my knee up which can hurt till this day. That was about 15 years ago now.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
There was a guy in our league selling Tacklas pants and gloves for like 40 bucks. For some reason he had a quite a few sets. Should have picked them up but totally happy with my 800s in green.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've got a phone interview for a job in Reno on Monday. Anyone play out there? I'm curious what the league situation is like. Don't want to move to a place and not play hockey again. Can't do a 15 year break like last time.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Does the guy who runs the league ever come out to watch or even respond to emails? The guy that runs our league has said he watches games but as know as I know I've never seen him around. Why can't I have that job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
There is a guy who is a notoriously bad skater in my league. Well he's fast but can't loving stop to save his life. One game against us he went balls first into the post because he couldn't stop. Anyway, I got called on a trip on him when I was about a stride back from him and he tripped over his own feet. It was funny because he got all pissed thinking I tripped him.

I've noticed the people who bitch the most about contact are the ones who never played in a check league before. Contact is probably the most natural thing about hockey.