Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

A Bad Poster posted:

Yeesh, I glazed over that $0.20 a minute. I rarely use minutes ever though, I'm mainly worried about texting.

According to this from the sprint community forums, texting to Canada doesn't cost you anything, but texting from Canada will run you $0.20 a text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

spidoman posted:

Looks like the finally fixed the family plan Google voice integration problem with my account. However, the receiving a second call before going to voicemail bug is still in there. What other stuff do I need to watch out for?

Receiving a second call is actually not a bug. When the phone stops ringing the first time the caller is sent to voicemail, then it rings your phone again so you can listen in while they leave a message and decide if it's someone you really want to talk to or not. You can disable that by turning call screening off in the Google voice settings.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

You can also check if you're eligible for an upgrade here: https://manage.sprintpcs.com/specialoffers/RebateWelcome.do

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

It seems the EVO 3D is going to have a signed bootloader.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

brc64 posted:

Phones still have unlimited (non-roaming) 3G, right? The cap is just for mobile broadband, and I guess tablets? Which also makes me wonder if they cap 3G on phones that pay for the mobile hotspot feature...

For what it's worth, Sprint also tweeted (god I feel stupid for saying that) that Premier customers can buy the EVO 3D online 3 days earlier than everybody else:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1931

I could have sworn I read in the TOS that 4g is really unlimited, but 3g is capped at 5gb a month. But now that I go and read it again I cant find that anymore, maybe they changed it.

Edit: In the fine print at the EPRP site it says, "Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming.", but the actual TOS just says, "We reserve the right to limit, suspend or constrain any heavy, continuous data usage that adversely impacts our network performance". Crazy vague, maybe one of these people who works for sprint can clarify.

McPhearson fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 6, 2011

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

mtr posted:

In preparation for the Evo 3D launch, I'm going to sell my Evo on craigslist or Ebay. I know the obvious step of deleting my SD card and reverting the phone back to factory settings, but for some reason I think I remember reading (maybe in this thread) that there is some code I should look up/erase/change so that whoever gets my phone has no chance of doing anything with my Sprint account.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I've googled around and websites just say "revert it to factory settings", but I feel like there's one more step to be completely safe.

Yeah, reverting to factory settings doesn't remove the programming information. To completely remove everything go to the dialer, press ##786#, enter your MSL, then hit reset.

This of course assumes you know your MSL, but you can call sprint and get that info.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

rockcity posted:

Has anyone recently done total coverage replacement on a touch pro 2 recently? I just accidentally broke the screen on mine and I was curious if they still have replacement TP2's or if they're swapping it for something different now.

I did one about 2 weeks ago, they still have replacement TP2's.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Sprint posted:

Our apologies, but there was a typo in the spec sheet for EVO 3D. The correct feature should read: capture video up to 720p and playback up to 1080p on both 2D and 3D.

That's surprising. Not that big a deal in my opinion, still an awesome phone.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

How does sprint.com calculate sales tax? I really want to order the 3D but it's charging me around 11.5% when the tax rate here is 8.75%.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

The Entire Universe posted:

poo poo, you just gave me the idea. Going to give it a whirl in a moment, but I will need to figure out how. There wasn't an HDMI adapter with the phone, so I don't know of any way to get it to my TV. TV has no wireless (sold separately, gently caress that) so I just have my PS3. Do you think I could route the video through my PS3 via some kind of media server?

You actually can do this. On the phone launch an app called Media Share and set up what it wants you to (server name, etc.). On the PS3 go to video, pictures, or music and boom, there's your phone.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Someone over at the Pocketables forum posted the apk for the flashlight and netflix app that work on the 3D.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

visuvius posted:

Does the 3D effect work if you play a random .AVI file or something?

Sort of. If you have one of those side-by-side videos as an mp4, you can choose to play it in 3D from the menu.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

CRUISECONTROL posted:

I see a few of posts about getting incredibly good battery life. Lots of reviews I've seen have said that this is not the case though. What's the deal with this? Has HTC kicked out an update that improved it since just before release or what?

I'm actually getting better battery life on the 3D then I did with my TP2. But like with everyone else, the first day it drained super fast.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

big mean giraffe posted:

The official HTC one doesn't.

Yeah, but some apps don't rotate that way, i.e. Netflix.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Battle Cattle posted:

Nobody could answer my question about why my app icons keep disappearing :( Does it have to do with the apps being on the SD card?

It may. You can try this and see if it fixes it.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I have an EVO 3D and want to know if there is application I can put on my lock screen that will toggle between ringer and vibrate mode. I have a mute application which does what I want except it puts the phone in silent mode and the phone does not vibrate if I get a call, text message or alarm notification. I've gone through the market place a bunch but most of the apps that toggle the ringer mode are widgets that don't seem to be able to be placed on the lock screen. Ideally I'd like to find an application that would, for instance, allow me to hold the volume down button for a few seconds to put the phone into vibrate mode (when the screen is off) but I haven't found anything even close to that.

The closest thing I can think of doing is going to personalize->widget->settings->profile. That gives you a button on whichever screen you want that toggles between loud/silent/vibrate. Not as good as a dedicated hardware button or a lockscreen app but works pretty well.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Protip posted:

I'm looking to sell my HTC Hero now that I've upgraded. I've done a factory reset on the phone and erased all of my data however I noticed when I go into the Phone Identity settings it still shows my phone number and my sprintpcs.com username. Is this normal until someone else gets the phone and activates it? Or is there a way to erase that information as well?

I want to be sure I'm resetting/erasing everything correctly before selling it.

Dial ##786#, hit the menu button, choose reset, and enter your MSL. That removes all programming info and sets the phone to how it was when you got it.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

ddogflex posted:

Anyone here in Portland? My EVDO speeds have been loving unusable lately, like last month at least. I can't even stream a loving podcast without it dropping out. I get maybe 200kbps in speedtest, and that's if I'm stationary. It's getting really frustrating. WiMax is almost completely pointless for me also, it drops out constantly if I'm in a vehicle, so I can't use it unless I'm outdoors AND stationary. Uhg.

You're lucky, I'm out in Cabazon, CA and getting around 60 kbps on average.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I've gone through over 10 phones with no charges thanks to insurance. I've dropped a phone on a concrete floor and the screen stopped working, free new phone. Fell out of a moving car and just wouldn't turn on, free new phone. Dropped a textbook on it and it stopped sliding open, free new phone. If your someone who just doesn't treat your phones nicely its totally worth it.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Galaxy Nexus, iPhone... did you guys already forget about the LG Viper?!

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I flashed cleanrom ics and it worked great. I didn't need that shady firmware update at all.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

spidoman posted:

Wimax and camera are working great for me with a new ICS sense rom?

You're probably using a sense 3.6 rom.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Hdip posted:

HTC 3vo here. I upgraded to ics a few days ago and just realized I don't have a voicemail app nor do I get voicemail notifications anymore. What did I do wrong? I do not use google integration.

What rom? If it's aosp based you probably have to flash the gapps.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

sirbeefalot posted:

I've factory reset my EVO 3D, wiping the SD card as well, in preparation for selling it on eBay. Is there any risk of my information showing up for anyone who buys it? I did start it up again and updated to ICS, and saw in the Phone info that it still has my phone number showing. Is there some way to totally disassociate the hardware so that it is back to a completely pre-activated state? Or am I being overly cautious?

Dial ##786#, enter your msl (you can call sprint and get it if you need to), and choose reset.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

sirbeefalot posted:

Is the MSL unique for each phone, or is it one number tied to my line?

It's unique to each device. If you really don't want to call and feel like rooting your phone temporarily there are apps to get it, there's also some convoluted cdma workshop method if you don't want to root.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Okay, about a month ago I lost all signal at work. Like, it went from full bars to absolutely nothing. I remember someone saying something about needing multiple people complaining to get an engineer out; how does that work and who would I contact?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Duckman2008 posted:

I have the email somewhere, I'll try and remember to dig it up Tuesday.

You ever get a chance to find that email?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

May be a dumb question, but can all Sprint stores handle business accounts or do I need to look for a corporate store when I need stuff changed?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I'm not sure how amazing the radio in the N5 is. I was at Disneyland over the weekend and my N5 was jumping from LTE to 3G to 1x to roaming constantly. My girlfriends Sprint 4s, on the other hand, had a solid 3G connection the entire time. Then again that's the only place I've had any issue so far; at work and home I get consistent LTE, only 3mbps but at least it doesn't jump around killing my battery.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I Dont Like You posted:

Anyone have any complaints about the Nexus 5 (well, minus any complaints about Sprint's network)? Believe it or not, I am STILL using a Nexus S, and it's about drat time to get something newer, and being able to take it to another carrier in the future is a nice perk..

My only real complaint about it so far is the microphone being on the bottom. I talk kinda light so a lot of people complain they can't hear me until I turn the phone on its side and talk directly into it. Other than that the phone is pretty awesome.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Stevie Lee posted:

And hope no-one sends you an MMS (or an iOS group message).

I know MMS works great in hangouts. Don't know about iOS group messages.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Dead Pressed posted:

Well I went against the greater hive mind and am taking an iPhone six for a three day spin to determine if I can drop Verizon. Service is good so far in Knoxville and Internet is baking pretty good so far. Wife was super excited on the YouTube load times in the living room. I've already downloaded a ton of music from my Amazon library and it keeps churning.

That's pretty awesome. I get a pretty great 18 mbps about two blocks from my place. But at my place the data is so slow that the speed test ping is in the seconds and I can't even run an actual test.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I got a Nexus 5 screen from fixez.com that worked out okay for me, and they have the battery in stock now. http://www.fixez.com/lg-nexus-5-battery-replacement

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

JHVH-1 posted:

Thanks again to whoever it was that pointed out the world roaming package. Was going to go to Costa Rica but our plane got downgraded and I am in Cartagena Columbia now. Been wondering around the historic district all afternoon using the 3G to check maps, post pics on Facebook, check exchange rates etc. and have only used 80MB of the 1GB you get so I should be fine my whole trip.

I was in Costa Rica around when they first did that roaming package thing. I got no reception anywhere I went. I had to use WiFi calling.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

In California and a few other places when you buy a subsidized phone you have to pay sales tax on the full, unsubsidized price. It's probably that.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I'm on sero premium and I have a Note 3 that started messing up so I decided to activate an old Galaxy Nexus I have laying around until I get a new phone. The website wouldn't let me activate it without switching to Sero Unlimited. So even if you try to switch to a phone several years older than the one you have now it still tries to charge you an extra $10/month.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

rhombus posted:

Just wanted to add my data point. After sadly learning that I can't port my Nebraska number to Project Fi, I reupped two SERO contracts, both going from iPhone 6 to iPhone 7. Got the $400 discount ordering online, and was able to activate online.

Another two years...

Did they make you upgrade to the $60 Sero Unlimited plan?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

heavy liquid posted:

I have the SERO Premium 500 plan and decided to upgrade to the iPhone 8. It's been about 3 1/2 years since my last upgrade. Do I still need to activate it over the phone with the SERO sales line, or can I do it online?

If I need to call to activate, is the number the same as the one in the OP? (888 882 4030) Or has it changed?
The correct number for SERO activations is 866-264-1282. Most likely you're going to need to call in to stay on the same plan. Last time I tried to activate a phone online it tried to move me to SERO Unlimited so called in and got it activated with no plan change.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

You can ask for something called an Airave. Sometimes they'll give you one for free, sometimes they won't. Worth a try, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Harminoff posted:

I use like 40 gigs of data so I don't think I can ever oeave Sero :(

:same: