Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Heffer posted:

So what's the best carrier to go for a month-to-month or prepaid on?
I'd go Virgin Prepaid. 1200 minutes Unlimited Text/Web for $40 a month. Or if you can get by with 300 minutes it's $25.

If Sprint text routing goes haywire on me again(for the 6th time) I'm going to probably cancel with Sprint and switch to Virgin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
I'm currently on EPRP and my parents are looking to drop their dumbphones and move to smartphones. They are on another network but have no issue dropping network and switching to Sprint if the price is right(which it seems to be; $125 for 3 lines + my$10for4g). Can we go into a Sprint store and have them pick out phones(most likely the Optimus), and get added to my plan, or do EPRP related changes need to be done online?

I don't think either of them cares about 4g but should they hold off for fantastic phones that will be arriving soon?

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

jfff posted:

I'm currently on EPRP and my parents are looking to drop their dumbphones and move to smartphones. They are on another network but have no issue dropping network and switching to Sprint if the price is right(which it seems to be; $125 for 3 lines + my$10for4g). Can we go into a Sprint store and have them pick out phones(most likely the Optimus), and get added to my plan, or do EPRP related changes need to be done online?

I don't think either of them cares about 4g but should they hold off for fantastic phones that will be arriving soon?
Sorry to quote myself but I just had a very circular conversation with a Sprint Rep online and they told me that I had an "old plan"... Does Sprint charge an extra $10 for any smartphone now, not just the 4g phones?

I wish I had a Sero account :(

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
I swear I'm going in circles talking to Sprint Reps etc. I have an Evo on my plan already, I want to buy an Optimus and a Nexus and convert my EPRP plan into a 3 line Everything Plus Family Plan. This is what happens which leads to confusion.

This makes sense. $109.99 base price for 2lines +$19.99 for the 3rd line.

But then why when I go to set up new service does it give a different total? Looking at starting a new line of service the Plus Family says it's just $14.99 for each additional line after 2.

So $5 dollars a month, who really cares? I continue forward just trying to upgrade my plan online.

Then encounter this while I am going through what each plan needs.

This was while updating services for my Evo. Why is premium data no longer required?

The only phone that required the $10 premium data was the Optimus... putting the total at:

From my math the plan should be 109.99+14.99or19.99(additional line)+10(data)+10(data)+10(data)+7(TEP on one phone)=161.98 or 166.98

So clearly the 2 data charges are not being applied. Should I leave well enough alone and just submit my cart or call telesales and cry for the $5 line difference(would they do anything?) and take the $20 hit for the data they will probably end up charging me anyways? I'd rather have the cheaper additional line fee for when we eventually put 2 more phones on the plan.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
Just called telesales and they were no help. Rep talked to his supervisor and the EPRP plans are done... What? I told him I was sitting at a screen that said "order now" for Everything Plus Family at 109.99 and he just kept telling me it's old and not available.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
I called the EPRP line again and talked with someone who actually knew what was going on. He told me if the 3rd line price for Family Everything was showing as 19.99 it was just a mistake and that he'd note my account so I should call if I get charged 19.99 instead of 14.99. Telesales was worthless I should have just called EPRP right away. Lesson learned.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Duckman2008 posted:

New Promo! Until mid July ish, Sprint is offering a free 300 minutes to the $69 data plan. It is not a manual update, so you MUST call in to get it, or just PM me and I will add it. This may not apply to EPRP.
What was the final verdict on this for EPRP customers?

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
I upgraded my account to a EPRP family plan and added my parents sometime over the summer when the $125 smart phone port credit was going on. I recently checked to see why I hadn't received the credits on my account and the online form said that I was ineligible so the credits were denied. This goes against everything I was told when I was buying their phones and setting up the new account. Who should I talk to to remedy this? Just Rebates: 800-477-4127?

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Duckman2008 posted:

The $125 credit is not a rebate, they can't help you. Rebates is also pretty terrible department anyway.

Call retentions from the OP. They should be your best bet.
Yeah, I called 866-877-7137 and they just gave me the run around. I called retentions immediately after I got off the phone with the 1st number and they put the two credits onto my account after checking into some things. Thanks.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Krime posted:

I went and played with a Note 2 in store today ... Pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger in the next few days. Only thing I'm going to wait on is the Google conference, just to play things safe.
I'm in the same boat as you. However, from my limited understanding of the LG Nexus it isn't going to be available on CDMA networks until some time after the initial release, if at all. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
Sprint is gobbling/buying up some of the market in the Midwest from US Cellular.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-sprint-spectrum-uscellular-idUSBRE8A61DR20121107

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
My parents are on my EPRP account and my mom is due for an upgrade. Can she only upgrade through Sprint? She wants a Galaxy S3 but $150 seems steep given the S4 is $250. I know she can't upgrade via Amazon but what about Sam's Club or Costco?

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

real dilemma posted:

Framily plan question: I'm not a current Sprint customer, but my friend wants me to join his framily plan. Can I buy a used Sprint device on eBay or something and bring it with me, or is the catch here that you HAVE to buy a phone at full price direct from Sprint when you come in? I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere. My feeling is that with a $25 plan there must be a catch somewhere.
I just made the switch to Framily and I'm working on getting my girlfriend and her family on board. The research I've done indicates that as long as the phone you bring is a Sprint branded device, with a clean ESN, you can activate it on Sprint's network. You don't have to buy a device directly from Sprint. From what I've read, not personal experience, swappa.com seems to be a better alternative than eBay. You could also get a Google Nexus 5 directly from the Play Store as well.

Anyone know if the Google Nexus 5 is still considered a good phone?

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

IOwnCalculus posted:

Buy something on CL and sell it when you're done?

Or try Swappa.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Luminous Cow posted:

I really want a Moto X Pure, and I stopped by the Sprint store to talk to them and see if there would be any problems. They strongly discouraged me from bringing in an unlocked phone, saying it would take up to a week to activate, I would only get 3G, my network speed would be limited, and there was no guarantee it would work correctly. This sounds like bullshit to me, but I don't know enough about it to call BS for sure. Is this just shady salespeople, or is it true? Does anyone know? Because I really don't like any of the phones for offer from Sprint right now, but I'm kinda locked in for two years because the other person on my account just signed up, and I don't want to screw her over with a higher bill if I take my phone off.

While I don't know about the antennas or band support for the Motorola X Pure, I just got a Nexus 5X and activated it online without any issues. Service started immediately on my new phone. As others have said, avoid Sprint stores if possible. I made the mistake of going into two stores to get a sim and they lied to my face that they didn't have any. Went online to Sprint chat and they 2nd day aired the Sim card to me.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

photomikey posted:

I need a nano sim for my Nexus 6p. Can I just walk into a store?

Go online to Sprint chat and request one. Two local stores wouldn't give one to me.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

RodShaft posted:

I'm guessing 3 months is too late to sign up for TEP. Is there any decent used/referbed phones for under $100? Is my best bet to cut my loses and just go to Tmobile or Cricket something? I use about 6gig of data a month and pay $55 when all is said and done.

Edit: Im under contract until august 2017, so that's a no go. So I guess I just need recomendations on decent phones available for under a hundred.

Edit 2: does sprint charge an activation fee every time you activate a phone? Like if I activate an old flip phone to use for a week while I wait for a new phone, will I be charged $36 or whatever both times?
I activated a new device using the Sprint website and I wasn't charged anything. You don't need a rep to do it.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Wizard of Smart posted:

You can't do prepaid. What you can do however is a no credit check no contract byod plan. Any store is able to do it. If not, pm me and I'll give you the exact script to tell them.

Can people still join existing Framily Plans?

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Wow, and I just switched to Fi yesterday. Guess I didn't have to worry about selling off my SERO after all.

How long did it take your primary line of service on Sprint to transfer to Fi? I transferred 3 lines today, my wife's, my mother's and mine. Their numbers ported almost immediately, but it's been a few hours and mine hasn't ported yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

toplitzin posted:

Sprint's network is so lovely that your data will go up on Fi because you can actually do the things you've been trying to do.

I just switched my family to Fi from Sprint and this exact thing happened. My mom never came close to using a gig of data on Sprint. We've been on Fi for about 10 days and she's already used 1.5 gigs. While there are a few factors that contribute to her spike in data usage the network(s) being able to support her usage plays a big role.