Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I've always loved the funny panels, badass moments, and panel recommendation threads. They've always been a mainstay of BSS when I visit, and I'll have them perennially bookmarked. I've often wondered why there wasn't an image-thread of the worst, or conversely best, art to grace the comic book world; so here, enjoy!
I'll start things off with some of the more obvious ones; it's not a complete list by far, and I'd love to hear/see other people's predilections.

The Worst

Who else could I start with, but by presenting a simple smattering of awful work by the anatomy-eschewing Rob Liefeld? Only Captain America here, with possibly his most famous and egregious work:

Followed by two (Sears- funtax) works that don't look like any Cap I know.

Next up is fairly recent, Sal Larocca's alternate perspective-bending cover for house of M:

Following up with Igor Kordey's mind-boggling Wolverine and Gladiator faces :pwn:

And ending this edition with Dan Jurgen's appalling lack of perspective in the Death of Superman arc:

The Best
After all, gotta balance out the abominations with some really wonderful visual treats.

I've always been partial to cover artist Jeremy Robert's timeless depiction of Captain America:

Marc Silverstri captures Batman as the human pinnacle, technocrat-cum-detective so well:

And Cassaday captures the feel of the X-Men better than anyone else I've read.

Feel free to add your opinions of the best, or worst.
Please, if you're going to reply, contribute at least one work of good/bad art.
If mods require each image to have a description of the book they came from, I'll edit to suit that rule.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

redbackground posted:

That isn't true at all.

I dunno, I can see the reasoning behind "Can only draw one face"

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Time for some :siren:INCREDIBLY BAD ART:siren:

Wolverine v3, #61. Howard Chaykin. drat, Howard.

Oh god, look at Surfer's head/obliques/everything:

I have no idea who this is, obviously 90s:

Kelley Jones:

Another Silver Surfer, Tom Grindberg:

Addendum - I love this site because it shows how lazy an artist Greg Land is.
http://jimsmashextended.blogspot.com/2008/07/greg-land-tracing-swiping-recycling.html

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

redbackground posted:

Also, Kelley Jones' Batman is the best Batman (especially the capes--his capes are luxurious).

I posted Kelley Jones because he seems to think that every muscled person has rib-abs and those rib-abs have abs of their own, etc. ;)

I agree, there's absolutely nothing wrong with photo referencing, especially in comics where you have some stressful deadlines. Greg Land just takes it to a whole other I-don't-give-a-gently caress level :(

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Modus Operandi posted:

What I hated the most about the 90's art movement was that you went from fairly realistic body proportions, clothing, and hair styles to men looking like bodybuilders or silverback apes and every woman had the basic stripper body with silicon looking breasts. This looks especially stupid on someone like Cyclops and even Professor Xavier. I can't be bothered to find it but there are a lot of 90's depictions of Xavier looking hilariously roided out sitting in his cyber chair.

You don't even have to go back that far.

Looks like he mind-controlled some dianabol manufacturers?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Action Jacktion posted:

Superboy #6 had the oddest persective problem I've seen in a while (click for bigger):

Is Superboy huge? Is the van tiny? Did his leg grow really long to reach the van?

I think the premise of the shot was, he swooped down, kicked the van an the spot where the splash-kick-explosion part is (in the back of the van? wtf) and then flew up to that spot in the foreground where he is now, in a kick-finishing position. reasonable premise but a really awkward execution.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

This is all kinds of loving awful.

God, reading those bleeding cool comments on this...

some dude posted:

This was the first book I read this week. Loved it! I'm here for the long haul!

:ughh:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

did we already talk about this yet

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

Lots of Yoga.

Nonsense, look at the angle of her legs and positioning of hips and glutes in the yoga picture. Then look at the comic cover. Completely different and kinesiologically unsound.

content:

Concept art (unfortunately couldn't find the artist) of Drax vs. Thanos, probably around Thanos Imperative; I love imagery of a less-goofy and more scary-rear end Thanos.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Rhyno posted:

That's not concept art, it's the cover from issue 5 of the first Annihilation.

oops, sorry, thanks Rhyno. The original image looks a thousand times better to me than the actual cover, for some reason. The cover seems to cover up any brush strokes and character.

Thanos looks great though. Less like a fat purple skrull ape and more like a crazy strong cosmic motherfucker.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

What the gently caress is going on there? Is that kind of gore common in mainstream comics now? :psyduck:

Well, Sentry did rip Ares in half in spectacularly gory fashion at the end of dark reign.

Plus all the insanely gory stuff in DC that superboy-prime has done, Black Adam murdering Psycho-pirate by poking his eyes through his skull, etc.

Mainstream comics have been exceedingly gory for a long rear end time. I remember the first couple of comics I ever read, when I was in grade school on vacation, one of the Reign of Supermen comics was in there and Cyborg Superman randomly turned an innocent family into writhing masses of melted skeletons. Traumatic, but I guess they decided that wanton graphic destruction sells.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Also here's some hilarious (at least to me) content!

Daredevil dinosaur!!

Power Man!

stylistic cartoon X-Men!

aha

:sicknasty:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Holy poo poo if you want to argue this, post another god damned thread that will get gassed because of your awful opinions re: institutional sexism in comics.

If you don't want to argue this then keep posting good comic pictures or bad comic pictures. Thanks

Every page of Blacksad could be posted here :allears:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Wendell posted:

Yup, it's Sunder, not Guido/Strong Guy (Whichever he was called at the time).

Speaking of Strong Guy (who was/is a great character in X-Factor of a few years past):

good guido:

bad guido:

p.s. How does he keep those lenses in, anyway

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Daniel Clarke:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

But i am baffled at how much he draws and just buries under the table, like the Poison Thrower one-shot.

It's called "hoping something hits it big but then working your butt off to make ends meet"

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

What are you doing in a swamp, Dirk Anger of H.A.T.E. ?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

the period where Batman's ears kept getting longer and longer.

I wish I could find it as well but there was an artist who used to draw Wolverine's claws as like 2 feet long.

I remember being a kid and having this comic book as one of my handful of beach comics. I thought it was pretty wild and once I read the actual comic about the batman stand-in dude who was a dangerously unhinged batman, I appreciated the cover a lot more. I'd venture to say that's a classic 90s cover, considering the other schlock being hawked.

I'd probably like the 2 foot claw wolverine too, comic book covers that work on the sense of the uncanny really draws potential readers in.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

RandallODim posted:

With the unchanged posture between panels, Beard Man looks like he's letting out an extended and satisfying fart.

rmmrrffffffmmmmmahhhhhhhh...

that lazy eye though

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

How long do we have to wait until Marvel artists turn to neo-Kirby as a style

However long it is, I don't want to wait that long

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah it looks like a photo manip and not a drawing/painting, ie. exactly how Horn's poo poo looks

e: :shrug:

https://twitter.com/OliverSava/status/1016768389539393536

People don't actually buy this poo poo, right? This stuff goes straight to cancellation.... right? :sigh:

I mean it's 2018. I imagine the teens of the 80s and 90s needed this for the under-the-bed stash, but contemporary teens have the god damned internet.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

IDW's artists can be extremely hit or miss

I like Mirror Universe Picard though :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Selachian posted:

Shouldn't Mirror Universe Riker be clean-shaven?

Depends if it is during the times in the series that regular Riker is clean shaven or regular Riker is bearded, of course.