Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Okay, so kind of off topic but I have to ask...is it law or policy that people with assault on their record can't train? I mean, I think it's a loving great idea that if someone is the kind of guy who's always looking for a fight and is a violent individual, the last thing you want to do is improve their skill set...I've just never heard of this before.

Well, my main instructor was in jail for some general hooliganism and such, but has since straightened out his life. We've had people come through who have spent time in jail or prison before, but we've also had correctional officers come through as well. Either way, generally people who come for the wrong reasons don't last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can somebody open up MMA ground game for me a bit? A lot of matches get kinda stuck when the competitioners end up in guard, often the attacking dude just keeps on punching and will not even try to pass the guard and the match won't go anywhere for a while. Is this because of you getting the points from the judges when trying to pass ther guard would risk a submission? Also is this also because of the high level grappling, where the slightest posture change would also risk a submission, so both guys are just waiting for the other guy to do something more drastic?

If you get stuck in a mount with MMA rules, it seems to be the end for a lot of guys. We practice with a gi on, so it's easier to pull the guy close to you either from the sleeve or lapel and then bridge your rear end to safety, so is it that much harder without the gi? If the dude is hitting a lot and hitting hard and you can't grasp his upper body it of course is a really lovely place to be, but still, are there any reliable tactics and techniques you guys use in this situation? These are probably really beginner questions, but I haven't done a lot of no-gi grappling, so it's kinda foreign territory to me.

Your phrasing is kind of strange, but it seems like you're referring to stuff in the gym rather than actual amateur/pro fights. In any case, the issue with guard is that the guy on bottom is generally trying to stop the guy on top from hitting him but also standing up. In a real amateur/pro fight, the ref will often stand both fighters up if they aren't active enough. Guard, in MMA is considered a neutral position, perhaps slightly advantageous to the guy on top while in Gi BJJ it's probably the opposite. But, in a fight if it were literally one guy hitting from guard and the guy on bottom not being able successfully sweep or submit, yes the guy on top wins that round. If my hips are better than the guy on bottom I may actually opt to stay there and pound him, especially if I can move him to the cage. There is quite a bit of technique for ground and pound here, mostly dealing with breaking his grips and creating openings.

Escaping mount in MMA is tough against anyone you're not way better than. It involves a lot of bucking, and not covering your face,do you can push their knee or hip down or perhaps hook an arm. You will almost always expend a lot of energy and take a few hits, which is why it's so hard and many fights end here. I would say there is no truly reliable way to escape mount, except maybe giving up your back which honestly can be a better choice sometimes.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

If there isn't a triangle choke attempt countered by a powerbomb, I will be upset.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

A gym shouldn't care if you train somewhere else, as long as you're still paying your fees and not trying to steal students. One girl was at another kickboxing gym, came to check out ours and got kicked out of her gym. Now she's our student and we're getting her money. It's really dumb because this city is very gym-dense. If there was only two gyms in town, I could see the issue.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

If a gym doesn't care about your progress and how you learn stuff, do you really want to train there? If all the coach cares about is the money, do you really want him/her as a coach?

Most people would go to classes at another gym to fill in a hole that their primary gym isn't fulfilling. Like one guy said, his gym didn't have classes one night. Another guy said there was better boxing somewhere else. Those are legitimate reasons to get some training elsewhere. If they care about your progress, they'll let you.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Buy a dollar mouth guard, goddamnit. That first dollar provides the most protection per dollar of any mouth guard out there. A 5 dollar mouth guard is only slightly better. Same with the 10 or 20 dollar one.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Christoff posted:

Emjoi Micro-Pedi Nano Callus Remover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XUNG5I/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_qVLBub116JMJG

Seriously. It's like I got new beautiful feets. loving big toe calluses

Next you're gonna tell us to drain our cauliflower ears, aren't you?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Space human being posted:

Does anybody kick flat-footed?

I caught the end of a karate class before judo and overheard one of the instructors telling the kids to keep their base foot flat on the ground when doing a roundhouse kick. I've always learned to pivot on the ball of your foot to not wreck your knee when you turn your hip over, and this is the first time I'd heard someone say otherwise. I asked someone why they do it that way all I could get was a vague "more power". Is anybody familiar with this that could explain how being flat-footed is more powerful?

I don't think it's very common because it's difficult to rotate on. On the other hand, it's how Bas does it, sand Bas is never wrong.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Compression lock probably has the least priority, but the rest is whatever you're best at. Although, against a bigger opponent, I prefer to go for chokes over joint locks.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I'm level 15 in Muay Thai RPG. Perhaps you've heard of it?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Travic posted:

http://dongs.com/ He has pages and pages about him on Google so he's probably the real deal.

I need to buy this domain.

Also, if you click the link it's two kids touching dong.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Christoff posted:

Yeah my simple non-switch kick low left kick to his lead was my go-to. Kept almost tagging him in the nuts though, woops.

Also kept cutting the angle to the same side with a hook to set up a kick with the opposite leg

Lastly for throwing hooks I've heard mixed poo poo about palms facing you while you swing on a horizontal plane. That's what I do since it's how I initially learned. I think I was told MMA fighters keep the thumb a bit more down?

You can do either, I think most camps are split on this. For me, I swing like you, I want to hit with my middle finger knuckle, boot my pinky knuckle. With such little gloves, which knuckle is more likely to break on a solid punch?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I'm pretty sure that's how Heihachi Mishima fights in Tekken.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

A lot of university clubs are run by blue belts, but in this day and age, a gym should not be.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Do people say "dans" for BJJ? I've been doing it for over 6 years and have only heard "degree," but most of my training has not been with straight up Brazilians. Although, Wiley doesn't sound Brazilian.

I will admit, though, that I teach a no-gi and MMA class once a week and I am only a blue belt in BJJ, it's not entirely unheard of but usually they will try to stick a purple belt in there at minimum and maybe let blue's teach fundamentals and beginners classes.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Travic posted:

So I just had my first introductory lesson. Long story short I made an rear end out of myself by being out of shape and very bad at throwing punches. I walked in nervous as hell and left an hour and a half later embarrassed as hell. I can barely lift my arms now. It was awesome and I'm going back on Wednesday for my first Judo lesson. My instructor was very nice and patient I just hope I didn't disappoint him too much. After the lesson we talked about membership plans and he said I could do the 30 day free trial. He did try to sell a membership, but he wasn't pushy.

The only thing I wasn't prepared for was the :tviv: at the price. I don't know what the price normal memberships run at, but drat.

The only thing I'm really worried about is that I like to pace myself when I exercise so I don't dread the next session. I work hard, but I try not to over do it. I'm worried this is going to be another of those "Push-ups till you drop" type of places.

A couple more questions:

Is there a reason judo is not as popular? Most of the places I've looked either don't have it or only have it once a week.

Is BJJ really that superior? Does BJJ include all the throws in Judo as well as teach you a good ground game or something?

Judo for the most part tries to funnel its practitioners into its own sport, and isn't really considered essential to MMA. A cookie cutter MMA fighter could get by with Muay Thai and BJJ, but of course many will incorporate boxing and wrestling as well. I would say 100-200 a month would be the normal range for a MMA/BJJ school but I've heard Judo places were a bit cheaper.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

mewse posted:

Why the gently caress are all Aikido(?)'s punches haymakers?

I'm pretty sure that's how samurais fought.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

In no-Gi underhooks become super important.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

No-gi is much more like wrestling, with submissions. You could even say it's some sort of "submission wrestling".

Take your ball gags and whips somewhere else.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

None of them will really work properly. They are calibrated for steps, which is only vertical movement, they don't track limbs, so you'd have to input activity data. Plus there isn't a great way to wear one of them while grappling.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Rabhadh posted:

I have this guy in my class who goes on an on about krav maga, I don't have the heart to tell him what I've read in this thread.

edit: What's bjj like for small guys?

BJJ for little guys is the most technically pure BJJ. It involves a lot of attaching yourself to the other guy tightly and forcing him to move you to where you want to be. Bigger guys tend to try to move their opponents instead, which gives them a hard time vs even bigger guys.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I feed arm bars all the time, in full guard but I probably wouldn't do it against a black belt. That said, most people purple or higher won't be content with just a full guard and will be working for something more active. We're talking no-Gi right? Cause feeding something, then having to break grips in Gi takes way more effort.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

KildarX posted:

It seems to work in both, but you're right it is way easier to do it in No-Gi. v:shobon:v I took to man hugging in pajamas almost a little less than a year after starting No-Gi. So a lot of the passes I do know are less than graceful, when your opponent starts grabbing on to clothes.

I accidentally went to a Gi class after not training for years. But since I took the effort to show up, and having a little Gi experience in the past I decided to borrow a Gi and do the class. Later on during open mat, I was in someone's butterfly guard, so I flattened a knee to the ground and did a somersault pass. He responded by grabbing the bottom of the back of my Gi and pulled me into back control. Then I remembered why I hated Gi.

As far as anger goes, I don't really get angry, but I can get frustrated. If someone is pulling guard constantly and being a pain to pass but not being good enough to sweep or submit, I'll just disengage them constantly to remind them that no one has any reason to willingly walk straight in to your guard. Then I'll usually try to do a standing pass, drop for a heel hook or go for a rolling toe hold.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Honestly all military self defense/hand to hand combat systems are bad. The great assumption is that your opponent doesn't know jack poo poo. And if you're opponent doesn't know jack poo poo, then aikido is just as good as Krav Maga or MACS.

Anecdotally one of my frat brothers who is a marine officer won some sort of Greek week wrestling event. The he came down to my gym later on, and I tossed him around like a rag doll and subbed him at my leisure while he had about 70 lbs and 6" on me. It just goes to show that Any martial art is better than nothing.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Dolemite posted:

I tried checking both the OP and the YLLS forum and I couldn't quite find an answer for this.

Basically, I got a new job, but unlike my last place, this place is pretty strict about schedules and they're further from my Muay Thai gym. So, I'll end up missing a good chunk of class and I won't have much time otherwise to do the strength and conditioning drills alongside the rest of my gym mates.

On the plus side, the building where I work has a gym, but it's pretty terrible. There's only a handful of free weights (I think they top out at like 50lbs), a generic rowing / lat pulldown tower and some ab crunch machine. Oh, and it's pretty tiny. I kinda wonder if I'll end up smacking someone when I skip rope as my workout. Given the limited equipment and my goal of training with Muay Thai in mind (instead of gettin' mad swole), are there any workouts you can recommend? Ideally, it would be a workout program that I can get done in a lunch hour.

I've found some from Googling, but the directions aren't the clearest for a lot of these. That, and I trust you lot - you collectively know your stuff. :)

You could do some HIIT circuits or skip rope and run like previously mentioned.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I'm in the latest UFC Embedded video. In the background. Not doing anything remotely impressive. Sweet.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPUwrxM_1nc

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

willie_dee posted:

Which bit are you in I meant?

Doomsday's segment. I guess Uriah Hall swung by the gym on Thursday, but I don't train Thursday's so I missed him.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

If you're not rinsing your gym clothes with water and vinegar, you're loving up.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Novum posted:

Holy poo poo dude

I did this all the time in Streets of Rage.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Work on your takedowns. No one at comps have good takedowns, except wrestlers who may be sand bagging to get in your division. We're talking BJJ, right?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Having those big basketball sneakers on really affects your guard game.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

So after boxing last night, I've a whole new level or respect for those who are able to clown about with their arms down. How the gently caress. I couldn't stand sparring (first time ever), though I did, but doing it with no hands down is ridiculous.

Back to BJJ today, give me some advice on being more aggressive please. I've been going 4 months now and doing quite well, I think. Getting the funadmentals down, holding my own in rolling. I see myself as very reactive and defensive (maybe all beginners naturally are?) I guess part of the reason is that I'm quite strong, decent body (not lanky, not fat, limber) and have good cardio, so I'm able to hold position, or resist other peoples' attempts at sweeps or subs. Now, having just got my first tab, I've not been taught many submissions. I don't know how to apply or go for them, really, because when no-tab people spar, we're not to do subs (I know). Can anyone advise me on being more pro-active in taking a contest, aside from researching subs on my own and stuff.

Clowning with your hands down is all about head movement and tucking your chin while keeping your shoulder up. Also it's a bit hard to see the punches coming from someone doing this because we're used to seeing the shoulder move first, then the hand following. It tends to go the other way if they're starting their punch with the hands down.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Skjorte posted:

In my last BJJ class, we did some rounds of tachiwaza (is there a BJJ name for that?), which is something I hadn't tried since I managed to explode my foot doing it in judo 2 years ago. We practiced snapdowns right before the tachiwaza, but other than snapdowns (which is a brand new thing for me), pommeling for underhooks, and drilling a technique a couple of times in my first BJJ class back in November which I've completely forgotten, I haven't done any sort of standing grappling since my short-lived judo experience, so it was a bit intimidating. Somehow, I managed to reverse a guy who shot in on me by kinda, sorta sprawling, reaching over him, grabbing one of his legs with both of my arms, and then tricking people into thinking I knew some kind of neat technique by winding up in side control. In actuality, I have no idea what I did, but I would like to find out so I can perhaps do it again instead of ineffectually trying to force an osotogari on people way more athletic than me. Youtubing 'takedown reversal leg grab' didn't yield any results, but I'm almost sure I've seen something similar in one of the amateur wrestling highlights around here. I'm in Scandinavia, so my wrestling knowledge is just about non-existent.

That's pretty common in wrestling but I couldn't give you a name for it. Also I take it you're taking BJJ with a gi. I'm mostly a no-Gi/MMA guy and this type of strategy drives me nuts.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Most coaches care about tournament points, not win-loss ratio. Every extra member competing is a chance at tournament points with no penalty for losses.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Free your arm that is trapped by their legs first, by pulling your elbow as close to your body as possible then kind of limp arming.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Strength and conditioning are important and can't be overlooked. We've had a bunch of pros getting ready for fights lately in both Muay Thai and MMA. We shark bait our guys to get them ready. There are guys who are better than me, but when I'm going in fresh and they're on their third minute/third guy, I can pretty much do whatever I want to them, even if they're bigger than me. I mean there are a ton of fights where you'll see a lower belted (BJJ) guy submit a higher belted guy, and it's almost always due to superior conditioning. The same can be said about kickboxing and wrestling, although without such rankings and easily recognized finishes it's hard to make it as apparent.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Someone watched too much Naruto... Or too little.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Ligur posted:

Strikers! How do you consider the art of, not of ninjutsu, but of switching sides?

I' ve been taught by two schools: 1) never do it, it takes time, leaves your weaker side back making it completely useless, and you can never train both sides enough it's efficient 2) do it to mess with your mortal enemy, especially those who have never done/faced it and make them all :confused: meanwhile discovering new punches you never knew you had

I'm being partial to 2) right now. My jab is puny, but as a left hand cross.... not so puny. My worst punch, the right hook, suddenly becomes a nice and powerful lead when I switch sides. Also there are a lot of striking techniques which you can build up from standing unorthodox or switching between a combination and trading stances during. Time a charge and a slip with an unorthodox left hook to the liver and if it doesn't hit, well, you're now in your natural orthodox position, away from the power hand of your samurai foe, and ready to unload with a plethora of strikes, kicks, or plain foul play if you feel like it. And so on.

Switching isn't hugely popular in MMA because most people can only perform takedowns on one side. That said, lifelong wrestlers usually wrestle right leg forward but strike left leg forward, so their takedowns often require switching before going for a takedown. In Muay Thai it seems fairly popular, at least with guys at my gym.

I stick mostly to orthodox, since my body mechanics feel worse when I've switched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I generally just wear headgear when it begins to flare up, which has kept it under control and largely unnoticed. When they're no longer puffy you can stop wearing it.

• Locked thread