Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
drat, that's tiny, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

keyframe posted:

Just placed my preorder this morning, first in line for the A7. Everybody seems to be ordering the A7R.

I'd definitely rather have the A7. PDAF and larger pixels? Count me in. I can't see a reason to own the A7R except as a studio photographer.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

He who smelt it dealt it.

Also, my Ricoh GR will be offended if you fail to mention it.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

So it's a DSLR in every way except without a comfortable grip. No thanks.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is the thread about small, light cameras that are basically just like DSLRs in every way, many of which lack a grip, right?

The NEXs have a grip, and it's only some of the m4/3 cameras that lack a substantial grip. They also weigh less than half of the Nikon FM2, with an even greater weight savings in the lenses. That said, I still wouldn't buy a m4/3 camera without a grip (or at least good add-ons).

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean, you don't have to buy it, but I really think you're over-exaggerating how much size actually matters.

I never said anything about camera size.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Wengy posted:

IQ is probbably about equal, but with the GR you're getting a much more compact body, provided you can do without the EVF.

With the caveat of "Do you like RAW processing?" because the GR's SOOC jpegs are pretty flat and unimpressive color-wise.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

Does anyone have a Ricoh GR? I'm thinking about one as an everyday camera and for long backpacking trips.

Several of us do. Landscape photos, and everyday snapshots are what it excels at, so you should be very happy with it.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

So is it pressing the shutter button that causes the vibration? Because if it's the shutter itself, I don't see how changing when it fires is going to change anything.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Its the shock from the shutter closing, since it was open when you press the button. This adds a small pause after the shutter closes and before the shutter opens to take the picture.

Ah, I see, thanks.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Mightaswell posted:

I like how Samsung has more DX primes than Nikon, Sony and Canon.

Well, they also don't have the history/baggage of designing lenses for 35 mm cameras first, and they don't have any full-frame digital cameras either.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Baron Dirigible posted:

I just installed the new firmware, and I want to double-check the Auto ISO works as I understand it to. Say I set the minimum ISO to 200, the max to 3200, and the minimum shutter speed to 1/160. So the camera starts by checking if ISO200 at any shutter speed down to 160 will expose correctly. If not, it will bump the ISO to 250 (or whatever) until it does. However, if it reaches 3200 without a correct exposure, it will then start lowering the shutter speed as a last resort. Is this right, assuming aperture priority?

I don't have a Fuji, but that's exactly how Auto-ISO works on my cameras.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

whatever7 posted:

So Fuji is basically building a prosumer APSC body aiming squarely at the D300s/7D market where both Nikon and Canon are leaving and replacing with cheap FF bodies right now. I get the sense that Fuji is not getting a better APSC sensor from Sony that's why they are loading up features on a new body but try not to call it a XPro-2. They probably will get a new APSC sensor for the XPro2 after new Nex-5 (new A7000 series) get a new sensor.

The XE-2 should have been called XE-1s.

Why do you say Fuji is dependent on Sony for a new design? I was under the impression that the X-trans is an in-house Fuji design, and manufactured by Toshiba.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...anding+exposure

You can learn everything in there on your own using the internet for free, but the fact you're asking here instead of doing that already says you'd probably rather read this book.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

As long as it's not an ugly cartoon sitting on a bench.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

I'm planning a 3 week hiking/backpacking trip and am looking at a Ricoh GR as a lightweight camera option. I'm thinking about battery scenarios and I realized I could get an OVF to significantly extend the life of the battery by leaving the back screen off and framing with the OVF. Then I realized that if I leave the back screen off, I wouldn't have any exposure information like I would with a dslr or EVF.

Has anyone tried using an OVF to save on battery? I guess I could turn it on, set up some general landscape settings (set ISO, narrow aperture for example) then turn off the screen.

It'd be a lot cheaper and easier to just buy 1 (or 2) extra batteries.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

I will have several extras but nowhere to charge them en route. Cost isn't so much as issue as weight.

The GR battery is pretty small really. But you can turn the display on and off pretty easily using the Disp button, you just have to press it three times fast to turn it off, because it cycles through other display options (like rule of 3rds grid) before turning off.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Just leave it at aperture priority f/8 or something. Doesn't GR let you set min shutter speed anyway.

Yes it does, and that should be fine for daylight landscapes. Not a good idea for tricky focus situations of course. The GR doesn't always focus where you think it's going to, so the LCD is important for that.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

The only wish I have for firmware would be for the shutter to not be so in love with 1/60 speed when you use aperture priority mode.

Can you not set a minimum shutter speed in the auto-ISO?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

"While retaining its famous textural expression, which seems to give form to the air itself, the updated Foveon direct image sensor produces images that are more colorful, rich, deep, and faithful than ever before."

Ugh, audiophile-level poo poo-heaping going on in that press release.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

I dunno, their sensors are pretty retro. :iceburn:

:munch:

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

You'd think Fuji would be working very closely with Adobe on their understanding of how to maximize image quality from the X-trans RAWs. Maybe they are.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

That's a nice camera grip.

But they're definitely deluding themselves if they think people are willing to pay for a "pro" body for a 1" sensor.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

I'd like to see what Fuji could do with a full-frame fixed-lens prime camera, but I have zero interest in a full-frame mirrorless. At that point, quality lenses are so big it stops making sense to me over a DSLR, for size and weight savings. I think Fuji has already hit a good compromise with their APS-C line-up.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

arbybaconator posted:

After waiting for the Fujifilm X-T1 to come in stock...anywhere...

You put in a pre-order somewhere, right? If you're just waiting for it to show up visibly in stock on a website, you'll be waiting a very, very long time.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Mightaswell posted:

Sticker guy really is the heart and soul of Leica.

He dies of an aneurysm in the street, and the executives are like, "Well. It was a nice ride. Time to pack it up."

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

grack posted:

Isn't the curved sensor being designed along with a lens for the RX2? It's a fixed-lens FF compact

That'd be a cool use, they might be able to make the lens much shorter, which would suddenly make a FF fixed compact make a lot more sense.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

DJExile posted:

Overall it doesn't have much of the "fisheye" effect compared to what I was expecting.

I think that's just because you don't have any close objects in the foreground in these pictures.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

bobfather posted:

I do think the pro-level MFT bodies are really nice (the Olympus EM-5 and EM-1, most notably), but the thing that rubs me the wrong way about MFT is that they charge an arm and a leg for their lenses, when in reality your average MFT lens is way smaller and physically has much less glass than other lenses.

That's a pretty dumb way to look at it. The lens design is going to be just as complex as a larger lens, your argument boils down to "there's less silicate because the glass is smaller" but the sand doesn't make glass expensive, it's all the work that goes into designing and building these optically perfect designs. Micro 4/3 glass packs 16 megapixels into a very small area, so the glass needs to be able to resolve that, as well.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Why does it need to be in a cycling jersey pocket? I feel like you have visions of cruising at top speed down a road, seeing a beautiful sight, and whipping your camera out of your pocket and taking this perfect picture while still pedaling on. That's just asking for a blurry, crooked mess of a photo. Any time you'd realistically be taking photos, you'd get off your bike, and compose, and it's not that much effort to pull the camera out of a pack under your seat or wherever.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Some of you guys have said the Wasabi power batteries are pretty decent right?

I'm traveling with my Ricoh GR and left my charging USB cable at home, so I need to pick up a charger, and might as well get some batteries too.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

bung posted:

The Wasabi batteries for the EM-5 do not report battery life correctly. It will show 100% and then no power, nothing in between. Also the Oly charger will not charge Wasabi batteries but the Wasabi charger will charge the Oly battery.

Hmm, well, the Ricoh GR battery is the same battery they've been putting in cameras for like a decade, so I doubt it has really fancy circuitry inside.

Thanks guys, I'm going to just buy it because it turns out I don't really have a choice anyway, not only are the real battery and chargers super expensive, but they are also not available to be shipped pretty much instantly on Amazon Prime like the Wasabi stuff, so that basically settles it for my case.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

whatever7 posted:

rumor: XT-1+ will double down on the EVF? I don't know how I feel about this rumor news. Somebody feel free to tell me.

Depends on if the extra resolution re-introduces lag, right?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't have a problem with plastic-shelled lenses. I'll take weight-savings anywhere.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

But maybe look at wide angle photos shot with a CPL first, because I personally loving hate the uneven black sky effect.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Nah, keep all the mirrorless in one thread. It's not like this thread is blowing up with new posts.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

powderific posted:

Ughhh, I rented a Ricoh GR and I love the images and size so much, but it's autofocus feels like something from a $150 P&S from five years ago.

Upgrading to the latest firmware helps, and changing it to center focus helps more.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Olympus's new 40 megapixel sensor-shift mode is pretty damned exciting to me. Can't use it hand-held of course, but most of the "important" shots I take are on a tripod anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

It's pretty legit.

Very cool. All that resolution from a pretty tiny sensor/camera system.