Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Talking about this in the 40K thread. Also:

quote:

Guys,
I've just received word from Games Workshop that I am ok to talk about the new changes.

I'm afraid it is bad news. This is all you need to know in a nutshell: independent retailers supplied from GW Northern Europe cannot sell GW products outside the EU, plus countries like Norway and Switzerland. I will be posting a list of all the countries we will be allowed to sell GW products to on a news article on our website shortly.

I will refrain from commenting about GW's decision, but suffice to say that I am very sad for all of you Rest of the World customers - and for our own business, of course. However, we're offering you an 18% off UK RRP voucher for all Games Workshop products until the 30th of May - check out our webstore for details.

I would like to thank you all for your support, now and in the future. And remember - the wargaming world does not revolve around Games Workshop's products, so I'll still be seeing you all for our very own BaneLegions as well as Hordes and Warmachine and suchlike!

Cheers

Rob Lane
MD, Maelstrom Games

quote:

Games Workshop's new Terms and Conditions
Firstly, Games Workshop's new Terms and Conditions, which come into force on the 31st of May 2011. These, among other things, restrict the sale of language products - i.e., rulebooks and codices that are not in English - and, most crucially of all, restrict the sale of all of their products to the European Union, although there are a couple of countries (such as Norway and Switzerland) that are geographically within Europe but not in the EU that we can still sell to.

The full list of countries that we can sell GW products to is as follows:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom

Obviously this means that all of our faithful Games Workshop customers from the Anglosphere - Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States - as well as those from Brazil, Chile, Peru, Russia, Japan and South Korea (apologies for those countries I have missed out) will now miss out on our superb service and cheap prices, but I'm afraid the terms and conditions of our contract with Games Workshop mean that we have to say goodbye.

blammo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

spacegoat posted:

Okay, I just had a thought, and you all can jump all over me but I just want to make it clear that I am by no means a GW apologist. However, I have a thought.

What if this new material that they are supposed to be using for their models ushers in a new age of not having to spend hours shaving moldlines or filling gaps. Maybe this new casting material really is good stuff. Despite how high the prices are to begin with, if it is possible that this stuff is going to increase the quality of the product, then I might just be willing to pay a few extra dollars for that vast shift in product quality. This by no means justifies $41 for an army book, nor any of the price increases, for that matter (after all, plenty of companies have better casting quality than GW for much lower prices *cough* PP *cough*).

I don't know, it's just a thought that popped into my head. Maybe they think that an increase in quality will somehow shadow the price hike. It doesn't (not completely anyways), but it does shift the feeling of the pricehike from a sour to somewhat bittersweet taste (at least for me).

Dakka.

(I'd say Warseer but "GW Apologist" may as well have a "© Dakka" on it)

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 18, 2011

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
From this time last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTUAkqn_A7E

:chord:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Hey guys, I want to get rid of some Undead that have been taking up shelf space for a while, and wanted to see if any of you dudes would like to pick it up. I've got:

Regiment of 24 older skeletons w/ spear and shield and tray painted, plus 4 unpainted
Regiment of 30 Zombies and tray painted
Regiment of 21 old OOP metal Grave Guard w/ full command and tray unpainted
4 Fell Bats without flying stands unpainted
2 Mordheim Dregs converted to count as Necromancers, painted

Painting is tabletop quality. Was thinking the Zombie and Skeleton regiments could go for $40 each and the Grave Guard $50. $5 a bat and $7.50 for a Dreg.Problem is postage internationally from Australia can be murder. Each regiment would have at least $10 postage and the Grave Guard would be $15 to the US. I'd combine them where I could, of course, like the Zombies and Skellies could probably go in the one box. If anyone is interested I'll throw up some photos and make a thread in S-Mart.

e: might be able to do post a bit cheaper, will have to go see what the post office has in the way of smaller pre-paid boxes.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 24, 2011

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Bahahahaha

Chris Palmer of Mantic Games posted:

We're proud to introduce our new plastic-resin Undead Wraiths.

Plastic-resin is a superior material to metal, in that it holds detail like resin, but with all the benefits of plastic. That's not the best bit, however - oh no. We've managed to double the number of figures into the box at the same price as the previous metal set. As we all know, the price of metal is getting expensive, and so by switching the popular Wraiths to this more affordable material, we've passed on the cost savings to you guys! How's that for value for money?

The new resin-plastic Undead Wraiths are now available to pre-order alongside the new Vampire Lord and Soul Reavers, and also feature in our Undead Elites Army Set - check back later for more details on that!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Finecast Dark Elf Bolt Thrower review I found via Warseer. He stays pretty neutral, but the flaws are unfortunately obvious and many. I guess it's to be expected when even the GW picture of the thing has a chunk missing from two of the arrowheads and a bit of what appears to be a piece of the mould on the face of one of the crewmen:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

moths posted:

Also, gently caress them for using "fail" as a noun.

...You are aware that assessments are usually graded either PASS or FAIL, right?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

"moths" posted:

Three days ago, did anyone know or care who the gently caress Wayland Games was?

This right here shows you either have no idea what you're talking about or are just plain trolling.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Just wanted to poke my head in here and say sorry for your hams :(

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
From the 1d4chan article:

quote:

Skarsnik battles the Skaven lead by Queek Head Taker for control of the Eight Peaks. Gobbla is killed after a Skaven Beastmaster he had previously eaten cuts it's way out of him, causing him to deflate and his brains to leak out of his head. Skarsnik is completely heartbroken and remains so (interestingly proving greenskins can feel emotional attachment and sadness lasting between battles), and after the Dwarfs collapse their halls to prevent Skaven or greenskins from taking it his army leaves the mountains for parts unknown.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
What's Nash's position on bringing back Goldberg, though?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Vale, all those Warhammer dudes.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Of course that video is Unlisted.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Terrible Opinions posted:

That was pretty funny but I would actually like to know where the model is from.

It's a T-Rex from Schleich:

also lol gw

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Warhammer: 1983 - 2015

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Wait'll they release their next game, Orukkamorkka(TM)

their famous gods Gorukk and Morukk

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Where Everything's Made Up And The Points Don't Matter.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
More, more, more!

Slaanesh is the Chaos God of Excess. Before the game, calculate both players' Body Mass Index. For every point of BMI you have over your opponent you gain one reroll that may be used at any time.

had you going for a second there

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm still trying to wrap my head around some units having the ability to deal a mortal wound on a save roll of 6. Trying to do any damage ti them entails them having a 1/6 chance to get a free attack back that skips the rolls to hit, wound and save against you :psyduck:

(Also happy birthday Joe)

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I can't look away from this batrep. Its like a car crash that somehow keeps rolling to involve more cars you didn't realise were there.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
"I'm going to use movement trays because there's no reason not to."

*has moved every single model off a tray by the top of turn 2*

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

This poo poo is killing me

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Triple-Kan posted:

I'm just catching up on this nonsense and it's heartbreaking. Can someone fill me in on what The End Times was, and why it's leading up to this weird Warhammer land where there's 7 different zones and Empire Space Marines? The whole thing looks like a really bad intro to 40K instead of it's own game.

Oasx posted:

Is there a more detailed explanation of the story? I can't quite tell if people are kidding about the whole Lizardmen thing.

This page details it pretty well if you've got some time.

quote:

The End Times was a series of supplements for the 8th edition of Warhammer Fantasy (although in many ways its like a new edition). It combined a whole bunch of armies together, introduced new characters and units, and added a whole bunch of supplementary rules. Oh, and it destroyed the Warhammer World. Yes, really.

Basically, Nagash rises again, the Elven Civil War finally ends (with surprising results), the Lady of the Lake is finally revealed to be Lileath (but we knew that all along, didn't we?) who has all kinds of schemes in play (just like everybody else), Skaven rise up and destroy Lustria (by blowing up Morrslieb the Chaos Moon) and much of the rest of the world, and then everything's swallowed up by Chaos and destroyed (and a whole bunch more besides!).

But, basically, everybody's dead. Except the Lizardmen and maybe the Skaven and Sigmar (yes, Sigmar returns). This leads into Age of Sigmar, coming soon to a Games Workshop near you!

With the release of the End Times, both Storm of Chaos and Warhammer Online are now officially non-canon.

And, in case you can't tell, the End Times is skubtastic as poo poo.

e:f,b

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
After going around the world and cracking skulls in the Ogre Kingdoms and killing all the Chaos Dwarves he headbutts Archaon and breaks his amulet, then gets decapitated for his trouble. I think he also becomes the Incarnate of Beasts at some point too.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Frostgrave: Age of Sigmar Appreciation Station

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Points dont matter so much, because everything will be based on scenarios. There will be - his words - literally hundreds. You will never need to play the same scenario twice.

eagerly anticipating reams of D66 tables

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Good old :hawseer:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Scowny posted:

No forum will ever be as great as EoW. Ogre dicks for everyone.

holy poo poo you're still alive

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm pretty sure that the old metal plasma gun I'm working on right now is still going to have signs of that honking great mold line right down the length of the ribbing.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Bloodskulls can only go up uP UP!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
GW have already blown the planet to pieces, we're up to Escape now.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
If Roddy McDowell were Sigmar, yes

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Holy poo poo Vermintide scratches an itch I didn't know I had. It perfectly captures the insanity of the Old World and the slightly unhinged acceptance of it by its inhabitants. Its a gorgeous love letter to the setting and really reinforces how utterly bland AoS is without even trying to.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
They've long survived on the fact that there's a very long line of enthusiastic fans that see working at GW as their dream job waiting to take the place of the poor bastard who's own fantasy has been mercilessly crushed by the reality.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
My favorite part of the article, especially now we have Sigmarines:

quote:

The civil war within the human Imperium would set the scene for 40k’s entire backstory, and the Space Marines would become the most recognisable figures in its fictional universe. But while recent editions of the game have cast them in a heroic light, Priestley argued that Games Workshop had misinterpreted the intent behind the characters.

“To me the background to 40K was always intended to be ironic,” he said.

“The fact that the Space Marines were lauded as heroes within Games Workshop always amused me, because they’re brutal, but they’re also completely self-deceiving. The whole idea of the Emperor is that you don’t know whether he’s alive or dead. The whole Imperium might be running on superstition. There’s no guarantee that the Emperor is anything other than a corpse with a residual mental ability to direct spacecraft.

“It’s got some parallels with religious beliefs and principles, and I think a lot of that got missed and overwritten.”

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

bongwizzard posted:

I kinda think that in a reality where there are literal daemons that can possess you if you get too mad/proud/sick/horny, that maybe a fascist theocratic government is the best you can hope for. I would take living on the Ultramarine planet over most anything else the 40k world has to offer, other then maybe being an ork who gets to drive a tank, those guys must be having a blast 24/7.

Yeah, but this is just the same kind of language the ultra right wing uses as justification for actual ethnically pure fascism ("We must secure the existence of our people and a future for White Children Imperial Subjects") which is a really unfortunate side effect of playing the monolithic fascistic state thing straight.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 14, 2015

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
anal log y???

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Fanart usually credits the artist.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you