Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

This is magnificent -- and yes, written by a now-banned troll.

Conservapedia on "Life of Brian" posted:

The "What have the Romans ever done for us?" sequence particularly demonstrates how political ideology can blind people to evidence, and the "Tell us Master" sequence demonstrates within the space of a couple of minutes how religious movements can form, split, and evolve to the point where despite the fact that even the most blatant and abusive insults are being hurled, thinking is twisted around to interpret these statements and insults as revered messages. The "You are all different" section further demonstrates how rigid thinking blinds followers to the actual text of the message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

(found via RationalWiki)

I'm not sure if this is serious or something by a troll, but a lot of people have contributed to expanding it.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Bruce Leroy posted:

Hmm, methinks the man doth protest too much. I'm guessing that he tried dating an atheist woman(women?) who laughed in his face for being the kind of person who would post in earnest on Conservapedia (e.g. Young Earth Creationist).

Methinks the man's trolling the gently caress out of Conservapedia.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

http://conservapedia.com/George_Takei posted:

"George Takei (b. 1937) is an American film and television actor and homosexual recruiter."

They need recruiters?

If you write, I will make it better.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

Probably, and then they'd decide there were yet more strawmen lurking deep in the shadows. It would, I expect, end with everybody in a big Mexican standoff, wondering who was loyal and who was a Commie Jew Reptilian Atheist Nazi.

Just rambling, but I read a story once, on a site which has since died.

"After the Protocols", by Adam-Troy Castro.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

C.C.C.P. posted:

This example is closer, but still misses the mark I think. "Building concentration camps" hyperbole doesn't imply strength or weakness. A better example that DU was guilty of would be saying that Bush was dumb as a chimp YET smart enough to rig the 2000 election. Which is it? Is he a nincompoop who can't even eat pretzels without choking to death or a criminal mastermind that undermined the electoral process of an entire nation?

Dumb but a figurehead for a shadowy cabal of evil. Rove, Cheney, Rumsfeld, etc.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Binowru posted:

Ann Coulter only refers to him in print as "B. Hussein Obama." I wish I were making that up.

you mean "A. Hart Coulter", yes?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

The page names are just incredible.

"Penn Jillette's walrus slide vs. thin Christian lady dancers".

"The closest thing to Western atheist "culture" is atheist Ron Reagan Jr. dancing ballet which is very sad. Of course, the reason why Ron Reagan Jr. loves to engage in ballet dancing so much is because like all atheist men he lacks machismo".

"Creationist Ken Ham often yodels when climbing up and down the triceratops at the Creation Museum and he also yodels when engaging in mountain climbing. To the best of Conservapedia's knowledge, the corpulent PZ Myers does not engage in mountain climbing."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Equester posted:

I am impressed and love all his atheist lacks machismo articles.

"Even Euro-liberal posters on notorious Internet troll-board 'Something Awful' admit to loving our 'atheist lacks machismo' articles!"

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

N00ba the Hutt posted:

There's really no "they" here. It's one guy (Conservative) and his deranged crusade against liberals/scientists/atheists/gays/etc. I have no idea why Andy keeps Conservative around. I can only assume that Andy either feels sorry for the bastard (which would imply Andy is capable of empathy and can pick up social signals) or that Conservative has some very interesting Polaroids stashed somewhere.

It's simpler than that.

Conservative is conservative. He's the most conservative that it's possible to be! You can tell because his username is "Conservative"! And conservatives don't lie, because lying is a form of liberal deceit.

Therefore, to get rid of him would be non-conservative.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

quiggy posted:

This is so loving ridiculous it really needs to be quoted again and again and again. I'm a college senior in EE, and I use complex numbers every day. They are so incredibly integral in the field that it's utterly ridiculous that someone could possibly get a degree in it while still thinking that they're bullshit.

Compartmentalization: "this is what I have to pretend to believe in order to get my degree" vs "this is what I know to be the truth".

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

GrumpyDoctor posted:

The dogs thing is definitely a troll.

I think it's partially trolling, but it'd be difficult to tell without combing through the edit history version by version.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

From the Front Page:

Conservapedia posted:

MSNBC reports:

"NASA plans to spend about $700 million on the mission. It is tentatively penciled in for launch in either 2018 or 2020. Mars Next Generation was conceived to fill the void NASA's planetary science program created after big cuts in the White House's 2013 budget request forced NASA's exit from the joint ExoMars sample cache-and-return campaign with the European Space Agency and Russia. Those missions remain slated for 2016 and 2018."[1]

Question: Why is NASA going to "tentatively pencil" this so called future launch? Don't the high tech managers at NASA have word processing software?

This is just.. I... it...

Ah, it's a duplicate of http://conservapedia.com/Essay:_Evolutionist_nerds,_say_goodbye_to_Mars_exploration

which leads to

http://conservapedia.com/Essay:_10_telltale_signs_you_are_on_your_way_to_becoming_an_atheist_nerd

"Please note:! If you are an atheist male and you carefully examined the 10 telltale signs you are on your way to becoming a lonely atheist nerd and told yourself: "I didn't match any of them therefore I am not an atheist nerd and atheists are not more prone to being nerds", that is a clear and strong warning sign you are an atheist nerd!"

His clear and cogent argument is indisputable.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Conservapedia's front page posted:

The likelihood of Jeb Bush entering the presidential race increases

Isn't it a little late for that?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's hilarious. I read the top quote and thought "Wow that troll is hilarious" and then realize it was serious.

Any bets on how long CamilleT's account lasts?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

FoiledAgain posted:

The list of secularized words is pretty hilarious. It's got some expected ones like B.C becoming B.C.E and Merry Christmas becoming Happy Holidays. But apparently homosexual is the secularized version of abomination, liberated woman is the secularized version of harlot and man-made disaster is the secularized version of Islamic Terrorism.

I can understand "Heresy" => "Scientific theory" and "Rebuke" => "Hate speech".

But "Dignified" is the secular version of "Solemn" ?

If you write, I will make it better.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea if his real fanclub was that adorable I'd be willing to respect him a bit more. So what, is this some april fool's day 'we changed our images around' or are they really being all 'HEH his fanclub are a bunch of fuckin RABBITS or something!!!!'?

I've seen that one before. Yes, they really are saying "his fanclub are a bunch of RABBITS, ha ha, stupid wussy atheists lacking machismo!"

The only mistake Andy Schlafly will ever admit to having made is when he tried to be part of Wikipedia.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Bruce Leroy posted:

But it's not so much that Schlafly just has terrible political opinions, it's that he's stupid and ignorant as hell.

Just look at the example I noted, he's claiming that it's inconsequential to determine the exact time a crime took place, which is absolutely absurd to anyone who knows about the criminal justice system, and Schlafly has a loving law degree. This is stuff you'd learn from just watching Law & Order, or maybe one of those true crime reality TV shows, but Schlafly can't get it right with a law degree under his belt.

Oh, I'm sure Schlafly realizes that "opportunity" is as crucial as "method" and "motive". But when you definitively know who the perpetrator is, ahead of time -- say, because the perpetrator's identity is a central tenet of your religion...

... yeah, it's not a very good metaphor. But that's the thing: Schlafly can't admit that he used poor judgment, even in such a minor issue as this.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Stoat posted:

Well guys, I made it. 110 pages. Countless laughs and horrified gasps. To celebrate I made an account a few weeks ago that is doing pretty well, I'm looking forward to writing some stormers like best conservative dance moves and homosexuality and agriculture.

Although you'd better not use those specific examples, of course.

Try finding a really obscure liberal author and describing them as conservative (or vice-versa!)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Heh I guess conservatives haven't ready any books by John Steinback because I can't find anything on him or The Grapes of Wrath.

It helps if you spell his name right.

.. oh my.

Conservapedia's article on John Steinbeck posted:

John Steinbeck died in New York City on December 20, 1968 of heart disease and congestive heart failure. He was 66, and had been a life-long smoker. An autopsy showed nearly complete occlusion of the main coronary arteries. At the scene of his death was found a short story involving male eroticism. It has been speculated that this sudden change in subject matter may have triggered the heart failure.

I think that's vandalism (been there since February). But it's Conservapedia, so who can tell?

edit: Oh my. Denying that Steinbeck was liberal?

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 3, 2012

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Bruce Leroy posted:

But don't Freedomworks and other organizations funded by wealthy individuals and corporations directly fund, if not explicitly control, tea party organizations like the Tea Party Express?

NO! ALL TEA PARTY ORGANIZATIONS ARE ONE HUNDRED PERCENT INDEPENDENT AND SPONTANEOUS WITH NO INVOLVEMENT FROM THE WEALTHY!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I was listening to Skeptoid and one of the episodes talks about Conservapedia. One of the things Dunning talks about is the charges that CP levels at Wikipedia, stuff like it bans users if they say bad things about wikipedia or even if they just exposing conservative ideals.

The charge of supporting pedophilia and other nasty things I know comes from the fact they post somewhat unbiased articles about them, but is there any truth to them, even a grain? Or is just the very common internet conservative thing where they just make poo poo up and because they know their audience won't look to any other sources so they'll just believe it at face value.

As a Wikipedia admin, I can tell you: that's bullshit. Wikipedia is full of people who criticize Wikipedia. And people don't get banned for "espousing conservative ideals" -- although some of the people who were loudest about doing so, got banned for other reasons.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Conservapedia's front page posted:

Boxing superstar and politician, Manny Pacquiao, has been banned from the upscale shopping mall, The Grove, in California due to his views on homosexuality. [16] Of course, the ban doesn't really matter to Pacquiao since real men aren't into shopping anyways.

Plus there's an anime "crybaby" cartoon, meant to symbolize atheists.

Plus this.

Such a brainfuck.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Binowru posted:

The best thing about their "open-mindedness" test is how easily it can be turned around.

1. Do you deny that all extant lifeforms could be the result of natural selection?

2. Do you deny that humankind could have possibly had some influence on global climate change?

etc.

They'd just claim that's Liberal Misuse of Conservative Ideas.

Seriously. They've got a page on that somewhere.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Anyone have a sacrificial Conservapedia account with which to play up the fact that this article admits Obama is Hawaii-born?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Be interesting to see how their article on Jonathan Krohn changes now that Krohn has openly declared that he was wrong to be Conservative and now supports Obama.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

"Liberal education system produced the latest young mass murderer: "Colorado Batman Movie Shooting Suspect James Holmes Was PhD Student." [7]

"Author on mass killings and professor of sociology discusses the probable motive of the killer James Holmes.[9]

The Christian Post says that anger and murder has plagued mankind since the fall of man in the garden of Eden.[10]"

Do they not actually check the content they put on the front page to make sure it doesn't contradict itself?

(No, of course not, conservatives could NEVER contradict themselves)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

internaut posted:

That live stream mentioned earlier is currently ongoing.
http://login.meetcheap.com/conference,89538844

You just need to type a name and click okay, you don't need to register. However they've disabled all chat so you can only listen. I am currently learning about how just because some things clearly evolve over time, this doesn't "prove" evolution.

edit: despite just sitting in the room listening, I was IP banned. They're onto us :tinfoil:

I managed to get on for a while yesterday, and asked a bunch of reasonable-sounding questions. And some of the people there had obvious goon usernames. The sheer hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty was overwhelming.

(At one point, the mod said that there are no possible positive consequences to gay sex. An obvious goon pointed out that, well, it makes the people who do it feel good. However, apparently that doesn't count.)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Diolatian posted:

Conservapedia policy on language seems to be: "Itīs ok with character assassination and insults as long as you donīt use naughty words".

No, it's "as long as you don't use naughty words and don't criticize Andy and his sycophants."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

http://conservapedia.com/RINO_Backers

Absolutely wonderful. Read the talk page.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait, Tony Sidaway is a Conservapedian now? That's, erm... that's certainly a thing.

Tony Sidaway is doing something wonderful on Conservapedia. He's carefully and politely following all the rules, and not arguing with Andy. He's absolutely positively not vandalizing. And yet... what he posts is very different from most of what's on Conservapedia. Very, very, very different.

(Tony Sidaway has something of a reputation on Wikipedia. If you don't know that reputation, you won't be stunned like goddamnedtwisto was.)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Toffile posted:

I never would have pegged him for a Conservapedia editor. From what I can remember he was definitely leftist and possibly transgendered.

Tony's not transgendered, but he's very trans-friendly. Very, very, very trans-friendly. And very leftist. ( His userpage has some useful links.)

Which is why what he's doing on Conservapedia is so fascinating. He's not doing anything that could be perceived as vandalism. He's being a productive editor. And yet... it's not what you'd think a Conservapedia editor would do. Not at all.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Krinkle posted:

I heard the TMBG song "Science is Real" and expected there to be some kind of "no well gently caress you, science" rebuttal on conservapedia but nope
http://conservapedia.com/They_Might_Be_Giants
nope, just a one line mention that they wrote some songs twenty years go.

I like their article on Kurt Cobain.

Conservapedia's 'Kurt Cobain' article posted:

Kurt Cobain (1967-1994) was the lead singer of the influential grunge band Nirvana, and the husband of Courtney Love, the lead singer of the band Hole. Cobain was born in Aberdeen, Washington. He was found dead on April 8, 1994 at his home from a shotgun wound, after he had been missing for several days. His death was officially ruled a suicide, although there is some dispute about the circumstances; some have asserted that Cobain was murdered[1].

Moral Depravity

Kurt Cobain was a horribly liberal and immoral man. For example, he openly supported homosexuality as the norm. He himself had strong homosexual tendencies. He and Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic once made out on Saturday night Live for the sole purpose of disrupting the moral fabric of American family values. He was also a strong advocate of radical feminism. Cobain is quoted as saying many anti-Christian statements as well. In his song Stay Away, he uses the phrase, "God is Gay." He was also a well-known vandal (he spray painted "God is gay", "Abort Christ", and "Homo sex rules" on several pickup trucks) and drug user throughout his life. He also supported abortion. Cobain was also an anarchist because he grew up listening to underground anarchist punk bands. Other evidence can be seen in the Smells like Teen Spirit video, which has cheerleaders with Anarchy signs on their shirts.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

This is interesting.

Look at the category tags. "Astronomy | Fringe physics | Obsolete scientific theories | Pseudoscience | Atheism | Liberal Falsehoods"

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

colonelslime posted:

I don't even know what he's talking about, but the :smug: is just awesome.

RationalWiki, I think.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Mind Loving Owl posted:

A simpler time in American history? They really said that. Didn't a survey show most kids back then thought they'd die in a missile attack?

I'd put 50-50 odds on that being a troll, seriously. Same with the inclusion of The Room.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Here's something interesting: Every page created by Conservative for the past four months or so.

also, I'm looking at the homework pages.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Am_Govt_Homework_5_Answers_-_Student_Eight posted:

8. Is it too easy or too difficult to amend the U.S. Constitution? Explain, while mentioning the example of the ERA.

It is not too easy or too difficult to amend the U.S Constitution, but it is perfectly right.

Extra credit (answer two of the following five questions):

"It is better for 50 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be unjustly convicted." Do you agree? Discuss.

I disagree with this quote. I think that the 50 guilty men that are freed can do what they were guilty of again, thinking that they would have the same treatment as the time before. On the other hand, if one innocent man was unjustly convicted, the man will know that he was innocent, and can have peace with himself.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 22, 2012

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

prefect posted:

Wow. It's okay to convict an innocent man, because he knows he's innocent and that makes it all okay. Holy gently caress. :psyboom:

"And what if that happened to you?"

"It wouldn't."

"But --"

"I'd be innocent, see? So they wouldn't convict me, because I'm innocent."

"But you said it would be okay for the innocent to be convicted."

"MISTER SCHLAFLY, THERE'S A LIBERAL TRYING TO DECEIVE ME!"

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Oh god, the Conservapedia article on "lifeboat ethics". It's the classic "20 people in a lifeboat that can only support 15" dilemma, a clear metaphor for scenarios of uneven resource distribution, carrying capacity, etc.

What Conservapedia says, however, is that Lifeboat Ethics are silly, because This Would Never Really Happen. You can't know the future: maybe the lifeboat can hold more people than you think! Or maybe another ship is just beyond the horizon, ready to rescue you all! And if everyone just prays enough, then they'll find a better solution! Besides, what are the odds that a situation like this could actually happen? Speculating about hypothetical situations is liberal foolishness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

sicarius posted:

I love how they don't understand thought experiments at all. I wonder if they consider the prisoner's dilemma "flawed" too.

I also love that their answer to it is to yell at the ocean like Jesus did and, you know, poo poo will be just fine.

Actually, their article on the prisoner's dilemma is informative and fairly neutral; not coincidentally, it's (so far) escaped the notice of Sergeant Schlafly's Conservative Hearts Club Band.

Rummaging through the article history reveals that almost all the contributors have either quit Conservapedia or been banned.

(Oh, and early versions of the article mentioned the "t*t for tat" strategy. Yes, they censored the word "tit".)

• Locked thread