Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

eddiewalker posted:

Being cautious about a tool that's only purpose is circumventing the security of a device that contains most of a persons digital and financial life is shitheaded.

Spare me your drama, please. If you're going to be a paranoid freak about hacking your lengthy description of an idevice maybe you're in the wrong place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

My ipad 3 is still on 7.0.4 or whatever came before 0.6. Can I do a full restore+jailbreak if I have the ipsw still? I'm not sure what steps I need to take to accomplish this.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

spongeworthy posted:

No, Apple isn't allowing installation of any software older than 7.1 now on your iPad 3. You can simply run evasi0n and jailbreak in your current state.

I'm already jailbroken but I'm having some issues with cydia and cydia installed apps' icons disappearing on me. All I can find about that problem is to just wipe and start over. They also suggest to just redo the evasi0n jailbreak but I was asking in case that doesn't work.

Is there really no way to emulate apple servers to install firmware I already have on AND off the device?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

decypher posted:

You will find this website helpful: http://ilexrat.com/

edit: Actually, maybe not. Sorry. According to the website it has not been updated for 7. :-( I'd add the repo anyway and check out the package, there's a chance the website hasn't been updated. Again, sorry for the false hope.

edit2: ACTUALLY ACTUALLY, looks as though there IS a beta that supports iOS 7, last updated about a month ago.

Ah thanks for this. It worked as advertised but it didn't fix my icon issue. It did clean up my device which is something I wanted done as well!

I also tried the half-evasi0n method with no success either. Seems all that's left to try is a full restore & jailbreak but I guess I can't do that anymore...

Appreciate the help. I'll patiently deal with this until we see a new JB.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

decypher posted:

Oh, dude, I just reread your original post.

The problem you're having isn't a jailbreak one, it's an iOS problem and more importantly, there is a solution. I'll quote the developer of Protect my Privacy:

"This is a common iOS 7 problem with all jailbreak apps. The OS tries to clear them out because it thinks they shouldn't be there. First it prevents them from launching, then it removes the icon. To fix it, install [app/tweak], then reboot. The first reboot it learns about the app and it won't try and remove it."

I hope this helps!

Hmm, perhaps if I did that when it first started happening it would have worked. I haven't seen my cydia or ifile icons in a long time, among whatever else I had installed with home screen icons. Just to try it though, I installed mobileterm and rebooted, didn't work. I tried reinstalling the cydia .deb with ifile but it didn't work either.

I guess it's no big deal, tweaks and cydia still work just fine. I've set up a little menu through Activator to launch all my cydia apps. I appreciate the time you spent on this!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Use ilexrat to do a restore while keeping your jailbreak or reinstall the cydia .deb with ifile or ifunbox.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Did you try to reinstall Cydia like I suggested? It wipes all installed packages and sources, you start fresh.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

averox posted:

I have not. But I also forgot that ilexrat needs to be added and installed through Cydia, something I am unable to do because of how broken it is right now.

I'm not kidding when I say that my installed packages and sources pages are blank of any entries. I can't add anything to them or change anything about them. I can't install anything from the home page of Cydia because it can't find the package because the list of repos is broken.

Oh, sorry I guess my post wasn't super clear. You don't need any apps on your device at all to install cydia so long as its already jailbroken. Download and install ifunbox with classic from here: http://dl.i-funbox.com/

Hook your device up via usb and scroll down, select ifunbox classic and in the explorer menu in the left panel select the raw file menu. Navigate to /var/root/Media/ and create the folders /Cydia/AutoInstall

Drop this .deb file in that folder and reboot your device a couple of times before it takes and auto-installs. http://apt.saurik.com/debs/cydia_1.1.9_iphoneos-arm.deb

That should be it. Doing that didn't fix my issues but it sure reinstalled my cydia! It's probably exactly what you need.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It's totally worth it. I'm in the market for an old 4s or even a 3G (are you in Ontario?). All I want is cell, audio and an ereader app and I'm definitely not alone on that.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694

I was having error 4005. Don't plug through usb hubs :rolleyes:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I know rite? I still run windows 3.1 and Lowtax still runs UBB because what's the point of updating?

vvvv Sigh. ios threads. You're not going to stick with 7.0.4 forever so either do it or don't but eventually you will and you'll find the exact same questions sitting there waiting for you.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 26, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Pop your device into iFunBox and open up classic mode. Does it say (Jailed)? If so, that means it worked but something is interfering. Make a backup in itunes and do a full wipe/restore. It should take.

My 7.0.4 jailbreak ended up like that and I missed the signing window. I had to wait for this 7.1.1 jb before I could restore and fix it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I hate megathreads. Something should be put in the op about not having this stupid SHOULD I OR SHOULDNT I PATCH discussion but nobody's going to read it and it'll happen in another two pages anyways!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

bobfather posted:

The usefulness of OpenSSH can't be understated, especially when software updates hit and jailbreak windows close.

Why? And why especially that circumstance?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

averox posted:

Correct. Either you have afc2add installed to access the root folder or openSSH to access the root folders. Without one of these two you are out of luck. I had neither installed when it all went down so while my installed jailbreak tweaks worked I was unable to use cydia anymore in any capacity.

Oh. So I don't need go back to the nineties and do all this silly command line stuff. afc2add is usually the first thing I install after a JB. iFunBox is too useful to not have.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Doesn't seem or isn't? Because it's working for me just fine.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I keep getting a "Jailbreak Failed" after the first time the phone reboots during the whole process (when Pangu goes "Processing Jailbreak Files").

I'm running 7.1.2 (not OTA update), and Pangu 7.1.2 on Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Everytime this happens to me it's because I always forget to not restore my backup before jailbreaking. Might not be your issue, might be exactly that.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I use activator. Disable the cc in the general settings and use activator for your swipe up command. Then you can selectively turn it on or off for apps.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Guys guys guys guys I don't have a reason to jailbreak but let me post in the jailbreaking thread and tell you allllllllllll about how I don't have a reason to jailbreak!

Keyboard mods work in jailbreak land

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Moose-Alini posted:

Yay can't wait until the real end user release is out, with cydia

It'll be functionally no different. It's easy enough to install .deb files on a jb device without cydia and you'll still have the same problem: No cydia apps updated for 8.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

JiUC posted:

awesome. Is there any difference between this process and the "old" jailbreaks I should know about? I haven't jailbroken an iPhone in 2 years.

Just follow the provided instructions.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Apple doesn't maintain firmware on shelved/shipped inventory do they? That seems like an absurd amount of effort to inconvenience end-user level hackers. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I'm gonna be that guy and ask why I want to upgrade to ios 8? The only device I have that would take it is my ipad 3. I haven't had the time to do research on this one so my only experience with it are the shrill voices of the internet saying ios 8 drained their battery and hosed their mom off the siphoned energy.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

bobfather posted:

It's really, really silly not to upgrade, but to each their own.

I stayed on ios5 until 7.1 just because Quasar wouldn't work on anything past 5 and I was really hesitant to give up a windows ui on my ipad.

I'd go back in a heartbeat if apps still worked on 5. Single fullscreen window only is stupid.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

With this version I never actually had to wipe or restore my backup. I did the ios 8.1 update, ran pangu and was finished. The only thing that changed was the loss of my cydia tweaks - easily fixed.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Pangu works on that as well. My iphone 4 is on jb 7.1.2 right now.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

That's the only single redeeming thing coming out of apple's absurdly short obsolescence timeline - your device will always be jailbreakable on its latest possible firmware.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I opted for the path of least resistance and convinced my office it wanted to use gmail for its provider. Problems solved!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Explore and find out for yourself. The only thing that question does is make people post their personal setups that nobody's paying attention to any ways. No information comes out of those posts, just a random collection of names.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Hey guys what Windows XP custom theme winamp skin do you use?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

There was something called DefaultPlayer in the bigboss repo but all the articles and posts about it I can find are about ios 7. It might work for 8, might be worth a shot. I can't go look for myself right now.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ah there was something called Power Slider or Slide to Power or something along those lines that could do that.

I have no patience for Apple's cute animations so I use Activator to turn a long sleep button hold into a menu popup with shutdown options.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

drat, Slices is just about the best tweak there is out there. Easily worth the 2$ if you have more than one account in, well, anything.

It's a per-app profile manager so that you can easily juggle multiple accounts in any apps you've got.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

iKeyWi was updated to version 3 for ios 8 but it doesn't support iPads and iKeyWi HD doesn't seem to be getting the same treatment. Can I get a recommendation for a good replacement?

The appstore version is garbage, don't recommend that. In fact, don't recommend any official appstore third party keyboards. The way ios handles it is bad. I just want a (or a few, whatever) nice jailbreak tweak.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Jailbreaking really only works in the other direction. You should only JB and install apps if you know what it is you want to change or fix.

Coming in here and asking for what's hot is running your hand through hay hoping to get pricked by the needle.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I don't think you're going to get the answers you seek. You're really just going to have to do it and see for yourself. Personally I've only ever noticed a slowdown when I start loading up on tweaks and don't stay on top of updates. I've jail broken and used about 5 or 6 different devices, now. The only one that ever became worse for me was the first gen iPod touch.

iOS devices aren't as rock solid as Apple wants us to think. I've been following these threads since the beginning and people still have all kinds of unique, unshared issues whether or not they're jailbroken.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Oh come on. Does every single patch need this song and dance routine? Security is a losing game. There will always be a crack because The Man can only play catch-up.

Fukken....relax, guys.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

We already tell each other how to live our lives enough in the app thread. Maybe we can not do that here in the hacking thread? You know, the one that exists to help us make our devices do what we want how we want?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

spongeworthy posted:

Awesome tweak came out today: Assistant+

It allows you to give commands to Siri and trigger Activator actions as well as set custom responses.

This is some hot poo poo right here and worth jailbreaking for alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I don't get why anyone is doing this jailbreak

I don't get why you're making this post

• Locked thread