Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Tedious_Bastard posted:

Hey man, did your case come yet?

Nah its coming from the distant land of China, probably by way of rowboat or some poo poo, so I'm not expecting it for another couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Verizon's now doing this "Dads and Grads" sale, with $100 off any Motorola phone. I hoped that meant the Maxx would be temporarily $100, but it's still the $200 price it got dropped to a few weeks ago.

I'm trying to convince my wife to upgrade with me, but she loves her old Incredible and refuses to upgrade if she actually has to pay for a phone. Since it's free for now, is the Droid Bionic a suitable replacement if she doesn't want to do anything fancy?

There's going to be an Incredible 4g successor coming to Verizon within the next month or two that will be right up her alley

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
I'm willing to bet that if the new iPhone has LTE, Verizon will cut their unlimited data upgrades off the day before it comes out to maximize profits.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
I left my AT&T unlimited data plan to get a thunderbolt with unlimited 4g, put up with your stupid 4g build out issues and nationwide outages, upgraded phones not once but TWICE on my own dime to get something that wasn't absolute poo poo, and now you're going to tell me that you're going to force me to pay full price on all phones going forward in order to stay with your stupid battery eating dinosaur CDMA network that has absolute poo poo for 3g speeds and loses 4g when you look at it funny?

Bloodsucking parasites.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Pretty sure if any of the phones change, they all change. That's kind of the point (and outrage) of the deal. Might want to talk to a Verizon rep, though.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

cuedotnet posted:

I'm totally in love with my Galaxy Nexus. It's about as heavy as my Droid X and feels very good in my hand. I wanted a larger display on a phone, such as the note, I'm not unsatisfied in the least. The "cheap, plasticy" feel, in my opinion, is only in regards to the strip on the back that reveals the battery. Which for me isn't enough of an issue to really care. The screen is better than I thought + 4G + HD content; videos seem to come alive in a pleasantly unexpected way.

4G in my town is blazing. Seems to be between 14-20 down. My battery is about 30% after 4+ hours on a full charge, but I feel thats to be expected after 100% fuckery since unboxing. I tend to work 50-70 hours a week so 4G will really only see action when I'm at home or chilling out. Netflix will be reactivated very shortly ^_^.

Aside from the screen, the keyboard is my favorite feature. Its very responsive and auto correct seems to have received some love since gingerbread. If the iPhone keyboard is a 10, I'd give the galaxy nexus a 9-9.5

Go sign up for Swiftkey 3 beta (Google it) and give that keyboard a whirl. Prepare for your mind to be blown. Or get Swype and prepare to be blown again, by a super model.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

cuedotnet posted:

Swype makes me want to punch things.

Being with super models can be frustrating at times...

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Aatrek posted:

Sweet. gently caress VZW, I'm going to get my $600 from eBay or wherever so I can buy the newly-announced 'Developer Edition' GS3 without a locked bootloader.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-offer-hacker-friendly-developer-edition-galaxy-s-iii

It's having their cake and eating it too. Now they not only can sell a GS3 to the masses with Verizon's blessing, they can also sell a super overpriced version to gouge the hobbyists who are too stupid to think straight.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Aatrek posted:

$599 is the same price as the regular VZW 16GB version, off contract. It's not gauging, it's just not subsidized.

Both of those are examples of gouging, as thoe prices are artificially inflated to promote subsidies.

And not only that, you get no warranty with this one. :thumbsup:

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Have you used it? What's your opinions?

It sucks. It has absolutely no tolerance for slang or vernacular, and 2/3's of the commands made are done wrong. It's clunky and whenever you ask it to do something and you don't word it perfectly with the perfect spacing of actions - like if you say "send a message to jenny, message 'call me maybe'" it will send a message to Johnny that says "message calling baby". Not only that, but I kept getting stumped trying to say things with the right cadence and enunciation for it to understand what I was saying that I would lose trac of what I wanted to say and if you pause for even a quarter of a second, it ends the recording and stops transcribing.

gently caress VLingo. Google Now is worlds better.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
If I had to guess, there has to be some information that people who were on postpaid accounts were getting older and having kids who are now getting signed up under family plans.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
I bet they have to get their managers approval for those downgrades and/or get chastised when they let someone decrease their bill

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
199 is going to be the price of any of the new phones on the horizon when they come out as well, so you may need to redo your budget or get used to the nexus.

That battery life. It gets...easier with time, my friend :smith:

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Is there any way that can be applied to any apps that Verizon blocks? Them blocking wallet is bullshit. And there are some other apps that have told me I can't have them because I have the wrong carrier.

I'm pretty sure you can download wallet on Verizon. Just search for it on the desktop play store and send it to your phone. Worked for me.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I tried this last night. I think in the switch from Market to play store, they broke it. Getting to Wallet in the play app just tells me my device is incompatible.

Weird. Maybe it's because i already had the app?

I can send you the apk if you want it.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

foodfight posted:

Yeah I just switched to the 2GB for $30 a month and I'm interested in how much it is if I go over. I read it is $10 for 2 additional GB, is that accurate?

$10 for every GB

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

And just because you can fit something bigger doesn't mean it's going to be comfortable. Probably the best thing to do would be to make a cardboard simulacrum and carry that around for a week or so to get a feel for it before buying.

I'm sure you could look around online and find fake DIX that would be good for simulating the experience of having one.

AppleCobbler fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 26, 2012

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Phummus posted:

I'm the primary contact on the work account so maybe the store will just swap them for me. I'll give this a shot.

Edit: Followup Question. My bionic is rooted and running ICS, should I revert back to stock before doing this?

No, you don't even need to give them the phone. Just come in and tell them your account info and say you want a micro SIM set up for it.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

waffle iron posted:

What is the right way to contact Verizon and tell them they have the shittiest backhaul in the world? Seriously a 3G signal at nearly full strength should be able to do more than 15kb/s. Especially in the part of the city near malls and shopping centers.

In theory the city is on a major highway corridor and should get 4G service like similarly rural I-89 or I-91, but hot drat without backhaul it will never happen.

Yeah my girlfriend laughs when I get so flustered when the 4g goes out while I'm driving and streaming music, and then it takes a solid minute for the phone to buffer the next song, which still isn't a guarantee it'll play back alright.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
If you pitch a big enough poo poo and explain that you require the phone for your job and this is unacceptable, they will eventually send you a new phone. The chances are good that it will be another Droid 3 though.

If you ask them for an early upgrade, they will probably do it, but bear in mind that if you do, you may lose your unlimited data if you accept the upgrade.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Is there any word on whether the new RAZRs are going to get 4.1 or go straight to 4.2, since it's another J release/not a big overhaul?

Being that no phone in the history of android has ever hop-skipped a numbered release, I'm going to go with no.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
I was under the impression that if you had an individual account with unlimited data, when you try to add a $10 /month line, you were forced to switch to a share everything plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Galler posted:

"DNA2 is an excellent phone but as it doesn't contain a battery and must be plugged in to use we've given it a battery score of 2."

Battery Score: N/A

Overall: 8.7

"The DNA2 fixes what the DNA lacked, a bad battery."

• Locked thread