Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fuzz posted:

The 15% discount doesn't work on the payment plan, sadly. The Verizon rep I spoke to on Wednesday implied that my similar discount may even end up getting removed if I started the payment plan option. :smith:
I'm probably missing something, but why wouldn't an employer discount apply? The discount goes towards the data plan only, not the line access charge or device payment plan, so ...?

Also we have the same fed employee discount and one line on a payment plan (with a similar to the current promo cash-back deal) and that seems to work fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey they brought back the "get an iPhone 7 or Pixel (e: or Galaxy 7) free with a qualifying trade in" deal. But you can also get either phone for $10/mo with no trade in at all.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 15, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No. The deal is a monthly credit. For example, with a base iPhone there's a monthly charge of $27 and a credit of $17. The credit goes away when the device payment plan ends.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No. Offer is right on the front page, and the See Offer Details link shows:

iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
Galaxy S7
Galaxy S7 edge
Galaxy S6
Galaxy S6 edge
Galaxy S6 edge+
Galaxy Note5
Droid Turbo 2
LG G5
LG V10

Pixel 32GB for free
Pixel 128GB for $4.17/mo

But again, $10/mo with no trade in isn't free but it's a great deal if the conditions suit you. Especially since it looks like you can get at least $300 for a 6p on swappa.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

kitten smoothie posted:

At that point it's pretty much the equivalent of a 2 year contract, except you don't have to pay the $250 up front.
Yes, but also your monthly access fee is now $20, where back in the contract days it was $40.

I can understand why a lot of people might not like it, but yeah even if it's just a year you save $200.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you're asking about a trade in deal, they seem to all say "credits start in 2 to 3 billing cycles". Here's how my wife's line worked: bought the phone last day of September. October and November got charged full price, in December they added 3 months of credits to our bill.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Re: trade in, I don't know if the Turbo qualifies, but the charge and trade in isn't a lump sum, it's monthly since the deal is you sign up for a 24 month monthly payment plan. So for a $650 phone you'll get charged $27 each month (on your Verizon bill, not your credit card) and (after a couple of months) you'll see a $27 credit. I didn't see the credit until the third month, but when it showed up three monthly credits came in at the same time.

The only charge at time of purchase was sales tax on the full price of the phone (in this example, sales tax on a $650 purchase).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No idea on the bonus data but the Turbo is not on the list of eligible trade ins. The Turbo 2 is (you can click see offer details on the main page to see a list of phones in a pop up).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Maybe one spam message every two or three months.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I forgot how annoying the whole cdma activation was, so many numbers to type
Is it still *228, option 1, enter 10 digit phone number, then enter the account password?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
New plans are pretty easy to calculate. $20 per line + the data plan price. Employer discounts only apply to the data plan portion.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You guys are talking about prioritizing different services, Econ was talking about prioritizing devices using (it's fair to assume) the same services.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Three-Phase posted:

There are new reports that their network is reaching parity with Verizon's.
And I hear Sprint's network reliability is now within 1% of Verizon's!!!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Going to depend on your location I think, but when we had a $180 bill the taxes and fees were about $18. That was only three lines, though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So they're in effect changing their ~20 GB total plan into 22 GB per line for the same price? Sounds a bit too good to be true.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

PitViper posted:

Edit: So wait. When I look at plan charges in the app, my L plan is $70, or $56 after discount. The Unlimited shows $110, but is that including my two line access charges? It also says $10 off with autopay, which we're already on. This feels like they rushed it out without much in the way of details in the marketing materials.
Dude, it's right there on their web site when you choose Shop Plans. Click the ? under the prices for the unlimited plan.

$110 for the data plan + $20/line access fee, $10 off ($5 for a single line) if you sign up for auto pay.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd want to read the entire agreement before giving up ULD. I'm especially curious about whether there's a passage restricting the new unlimited data to 4G LTE. The timing is suspect, and I'd want to make sure the new agreement doesn't lock anyone out of 5G data when it comes out.
Vzw.com. Shop / Plans & Services / The New Verizon plan and click the ? next to Unlimited data. First three words (?) are "4G LTE only".

People seem to have forgotten how to use Verizon's website today, Seems kind of odd. Or I'm just cranky.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Speaking of prioritization, kinda, has anyone here used that thing where VZW let you get unlimited data for an hour for $3? Or does that even exist any more?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
LG VX8300 (aka best phone ever made).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Travel pass works in Iceland according to Verizon's list, but it will cost you $10/day, not $2/day.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It's Best Buy's deal, not Verizon's, so you'd have to ask Best Buy. There seem to be no details on their web site.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

clamiam45 posted:

So happy ending, this is possible.
So is their deal just $100 off retail, and it's 24 payments that are $100/24 lower than MSRP?

The Samsung add ons they mention and "up to $100 off" make it unclear.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Their website says the discount is good for 18 months, but it also says my (currently active) discount expires in March 2015.

Edit: To check, sign in and look under My Plan.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I have no data to back it up, but I would be really, really surprised if a significant percentage of people paid for their phones outright rather than using a payment plan.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My dad did a similar trip last year. Buy a prepaid SIM when you get to Europe instead, if you can live with a different phone number for the trip. Orange to be specific, and look at their "holiday plan" for use in multiple countries. Cost him about $35 for three weeks, but I'm not sure how much data he used.

E: if you meant other Verizon options, I don't think so. Their monthly international plan will hurt badly if you use more than 100MB of data.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 12, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There's also the long shot of checking the emergency info. If you tap Emergency on the bottom left of the lock screen then tap Medical Info, they may have filled something in there.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
5 lines unlimited would be $110 for data + (5x$20) line access, or $210/mo. You can make that $200/mo by signing up for auto pay, so yeah it's going to be a lot cheaper.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah this sucks but I can’t think of it affecting me for more than an hour or two a year.

Also look at the chart at the bottom of the linked article. It seems that a two-line plan is getting screwed.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
75 plus taxes and fees, but those aren’t gonna be $15-$25 on one line.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AdmiralViscen posted:

These plans are also substantially more expensive than the "old" (from 6 months ago) unlimited plan, no?

It used to be $100 base access then $20 per line. So two lines was $140, three $160, four $180. For ten it is $300.

That chart says that for Beyond, two lines is $160, three lines is $180, and four is $200. Ten would be an egregious $500?!
Not sure how you’re calculating that. Seems pretty clear from those numbers it’s still $20/device, but the data fee went from $100 to $120 for beyond.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Riiight, so the beyond table shows

2=160
3=180
4=200

Seems like that fits $120 + ($20/line), right?

Lol, but wait, now that it’s live, on their site it shows that for lines 5 and above, you add $50 total per line. 4 lines is $200 but 5 lines is $250.

What a clusterfuck.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AdmiralViscen posted:

It says 4+ lines is $50 per line in a linear increase.
Oh jeez, lol, I thought the + was just an alternate asterisk pointing to the disclaimers at the bottom. Time to get off the Internet for a while.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol No of course no carrier discount.
Hey are you sure about that? Because the web site in the FAQ section says discounts apply to unlimited and beyond unlimited, but it’s a little unclear whether they’re talking about just military discounts or military and employee discounts.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I may have asked this before, but what would a person have to do if they were to buy the $200 iPhone SE for Verizon prepaid and wanted to get it to work on a postpaid account? Would it be as easy as paying for one month of prepaid and then switching SIM cards? Or is it six months? Would Verizon have to unlock it first in either case? Or is it just not worth trying?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

mastershakeman posted:

oh, the autopay discount is per line? that helps.
The discount is $5/line, but (seeing the rest of your post) I'm pretty sure you can’t break it up to “ok autopay lines one and two but not three”.

Also thank goodness their caller ID trial just ended for me. TOLL FREE NUMBER and UNKNOWN CALLER aren’t very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
FAQ says $15 off unlimited plans, or 15% off the data portion on limited plans.

• Locked thread