Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I always took the SGU uniforms looking different because they were setting it up as the SG program was slowing morphing into its own 4th branch of the military that was also pan national. Don't make the Russians, Brits, Germans, Chinese, Aussie and whomever else joins all wear American uniforms, and you can't have them all wearing their home nations uniforms because then they don't feel like a cohesive force.

Apart from Rush were there any non-Americans aboard Destiny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Imagine Atlantis if they had Greer instead of Ford, best show ever.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

IRQ posted:

Wait what? You wanted them to spend 1/3 of every episode learning the language and you don't understand how telephones work?

You never saw the movie? A big point of the movie was that different gates had different symbols.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yes, we know they changed it between the movie and the tv show, that's the point that was being made, that all of a sudden everyone could speak English and all gates were the same!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I have brought the idea up before, but I still think SG-1 seasons 9 and 10 would have been much better if an Ori Prior had got to Earth and managed to convert a couple of nations. They could have really played up how persuasive it would be to a lot of people as well that these aliens rock up and start revealing secrets that could have saved thousands of lives over the past decade that the major world governments have been keeping secret.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

The last episode of Stargate: Universe is up on Hulu and the SGU thread is closed. Anyone interesting in reading posts from when it was first broadcast on TV can start here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3345808&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=81

There seemed like a big plot hole in the final episode to me. They couldn't go off the path set by the seed ships because there were 300 billion stars in that galaxy and there would be no realistic chance of finding viable planets for resupplying. But the main problem was the power needed to reach the destination. Why couldn't they have just put most of the people in stasis and then made a 2 week jump with a skeleton crew to a viable sun well off the beaten path on the edge of the galaxy? They could have refueled and the power would no longer have been an issue. With power no longer an issue, they could have kept up life support in a small section of the ship and kept a small crew out of stasis on a rotating basis. They had enough food/water for 30 days for the whole crew. That should have been enough to keep 5 people alive for three years.

My alternative ending is they made the journey and woke up to find themselves in a galaxy inhabited by reavers from Firefly. They were raped to death, had their flesh eaten, and their skin was used as clothing, but not in that order.

From what I recall they couldn't be exactly certain which stars in the galaxy had drones guarding them, so there was still a chance they would drop out and find themselves next to a star they could not use for refueling, with not enough energy to go on.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I think the best route they could have gone would have been some kind of mass produced device like a bracelet or even just a little thing you hold in your pocket that gives you translation through some technological magic. Would have been a quick and easy solution that is easily explained by a quick scene in the pilot and then wouldn't have to be brought up unless they wanted to have language misunderstanding as a plot element.

In fact that's what I think I'll assume from now on anyway.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

There was like three, first two were in maybe one or two episodes in SG-1. She took over for about two hours before hammond came back. Really doesnt matter too much since she's never mentioned again till Atlantis.

Yes, the Lost City, the episode of SG-1 that immediately led into Atlantis.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Showed A Dogs Breakfast to a couple of friends tonight. One of whom is just a few seasons into SG-1, the other who was seen all of the series and was cracking up non-stop at the cameos in it.

Not really sure what the point of this post is, other than to say anyone who hasn't yet should go watch A Dogs Breakfast.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

vandelay industries posted:

SG1's "200" just aired on SPACE; it's been over 3 years since I've seen that episode and I'm not sure whether I hate it or love it now.

What is there not to love?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BlazinLow305 posted:

Also is any of this set in space/spaceships at all? Or just them going through the stargate?

By the end of the show it basically turns into Star Trek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zKNZGmISZQ

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He can't kill his past self! And neither Baal would ever share power with an equal of himself.

They would however both pretend to the other that they were happy with sharing power, right up until the point where they decide they no longer need the other.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The gates were built to last, but the DHD's sure weren't. Surprised that more of them on random planets aren't busted given how easy they are to open and pull apart.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MrBling posted:

Gotta love how McKay wants to name every ship Enterprise.

I don't remember McKay doing that, wasn't it Jacks thing?

edit: it is amusing how after a decade of the Stargate program being active Earth is flying starships that in many ways would put those from Star Trek to shame.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's a really well done effect, some of the stuff like the pillars in front of the entry collapsing really move like they have weight to them.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In retrospect, I have a feeling that the team changes would have been better if season 9 and season 8 had been merged. Sg-1 really lost momentum in season 8 due to things like the reduced availability of RDA. So by the time the team was changed around in Season 9 it felt like an attempt to salvage things. If Season 8 had started with Jacks promotion and introduced Mitchell as a new SG-1 member we could have had him helping to finish off the Goa'uld, and made it feel like less of a total generational change.

It's the type of thing that only becomes obvious in retrospect so isn't a fail on the part of the production staff, but definitely would have helped.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WFGuy posted:

It's more that there's tons of data coming in from the Stargate to the DHD at any time, and the SGC computer just sort of stumbled into the correct way to enter a single chevron at a time. They ignore most of the other data (including sometimes-vital safety bits) because generally they just don't know what each part means and they can't parse the safety signals. Also apparently DHDs have some crazy energy source in them that nobody ever mentions again because they can do 'for free' what costs the SGC millions or billions in energy consumed.

I don't know if they've gone into any more detail than that outside the show itself.

I assume that a properly managed Stargate actually requires very little power to function. The DHD delicately manages the gate in a way that a wormhole is easily established. Using a DHD is like opening a doorway, manual dialing is like smashing through a wall.

quote:

Also, on the subject of Christopher Judge, apparently he's a crazy prankster sort that likes to barge into people's trailers while they're sleeping and jump onto them in bed while yelling at the top of his lungs. I'm sure he'd be great fun at conventions if the fans haven't broken him yet.

Already broken, look up the convention video of him learning what furries are.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

longview posted:

Hey what happens if you walk through the back of an active stargate?

Much the same as happens if you try to walk back through a gate that has been opened from the other end, vaporized.

Yet another of the many problems the ancients could have easily prevented but decided not to.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

longview posted:

Man, they really were dicks weren't they.

I don't get why the SGC never bothered to ask the Tok'Ra or any one of the ancients, or the Atlantis team to dig out the datasheet for the gate-DHD interface. Ancients probably had terrible coding practices and nobody ever bothered to write one.

When you open a Stargate connection, 4 wormhole barriers become available. Front and back of the sending gate, front and back of the receiving gate. Of those 4 options, 3 will kill anyone trying to use it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

golgo13sf posted:

code:

Gate g = New Gate(_origin:=New Point("Earth"), _dest:=New Point("Abydos"));

g.OriginFront.SetDeathOnEnter = False;

//***LOL CHECK THIS OUT***
g.OriginBack.SetDeathOnEnter = True;
g.DestinationFront.SetDeathOnEnter = True;
g.DestinationBack.SetDeathOnEnter = True;

g.OriginFront.CheckForObstruction = False;
g.DestinationFront.CheckForObstruction = False;

//***IMPORTANT, DO NOT DISABLE THIS SECTION!***
If Not(g.CheckForSolarFlare) Then g.Open();

I love you.

longview posted:

Would be pretty funny if a planet for some reason had the gate upside down, so every time they gated in to it they'd come tumbling out. Also when they gate out they'd probably form inside the floor at the bottom

I like to imagine that there some planets that had their gates mounted so that none of the gate was embedded into the ground or a support platform, and that people stepping into one of those would immediately trip over when they materialised at the other end.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Taking the cosmic background radiation and adding an element that even made the ancients go WHAT IN THE gently caress IS THAT was so cool my mind just about exploded. When Joe Malozzi posted on his blog I was so bummed. The next season was supposed to take place either 3, 10 or 100 years after the end of s2 with them leaning towards 10 years. This was gonna let them to do the Extinction story where the gate program goes public without having to do a movie. They were also going to use the split offs of the human civilization as a galactic species in the next galaxy destiny hit.

We should do a kickstarter for a SGU mini-series on Netflix or something. I really do hope this isn't the last we see of the SGU story, or Stargate in general.

We won't ever see any more SGU, even as a direct to DVD thing. I would however definitely buy a novel that wrapped up the series based on their notes. Usually tv show tie in books suck, but some of the ideas they had were really great.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Wanna see more Chris Judge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNHXPFDEeFY

You know it's a quality production when one of the guys involved in making it is responding to every Youtube comment.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

A Dogs Breakfast was worth it just for the scenes parodying Stargate.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

There was even an episode of SG-1 that dealt with them recruiting young people.

It might be a bit unrealistic, but the Stargate program would have required a big influx of new people. Between the SGC, off world bases, and multiple starships there are a lot of personnel.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Chairman Mao posted:

You cocksucker. I believed you there for a minute. :cheeky:

It's actually real!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I've always assumed that there is a few seconds time difference between gates.

Gate A finishes dialing, and locks in a destination. It sends off the connection request to Gate B, which receives that connection request and takes a few seconds to establish the wormhole.

So in absolute terms, the two gates have wormholes a few seconds out of sync with each other, when going from Gate A to Gate B you also go forward in time a few seconds.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doggles posted:

After many months I've finally finished watching SG-1 and Atlantis all the way through. Fantastic stuff. I never saw any of Universe when it aired although I've read a good bit about how uneven it is through this thread. Now halfway through with the first season.

I remember reading all these awful comments about the communication stones and kept thinking to myself, "How bad could they actually be?" Then I got to the episode "Earth." :wtc:

I can't be the only one disturbed by how willing these people's significant others are with having sexy times with strangers' bodies. I really like Colonel Young's character except for the whole "How dare you speak to my wife after I used your body to have sex with her!" flip-out. Then using other people's bodies to get in fights...

The concept of the series is amazing, but dear god, this whole communication stone thing is worse than I ever imagined! There's plenty of drama on a spaceship stuck on autopilot with dwindling resources. All this Earth drama seems completely unnecessary at this point.

That's one of the many things that they learned from and got better about, when they made it so that the stones could be used by enemies to track Destiny, so they couldn't use them much.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

The way I handwave this is that in the first episode those guys on Chulak spoke that form of Arabic and Daniel was the only one who could talk to them. Some translation is being done, we just miss it because in an hour story, you don't want half the episode lost because you want everyone to be translated for ~accuracy~.

This suspension of disbelief works infinitely better than the "Stargate is translating" explanation that I heard once.

The approach I always bring to shows like Star Trek and Stargate is that we are seeing re-enactments of what "actually" happened.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The big red button is point of origin isn't it?

Edit: the whole address thing is really confused anyway,right down to the point in the first movie where Danielpoints out the Earth symbol they should ave noticed almost instantly.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 11, 2013

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Falken posted:

Probably been posted hundreds of times before, but David Hewlett seems to have taken Atlantis' cancellation worse than I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HMV3R0jRq4

e: Had no idea that the actress that plays Jeannie Miller is actually David Hewlett's brother. That makes their scenes even more :3:

If you haven't seen it, definitely track downA Dogs Breakfast

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Say good bye to the tv franchise for certain it seems, Roland Emmerich is saying he's been in talks with MGM to reboot the movie.

http://www.digitalspy.com.au/movies/news/a513056/stargate-to-receive-movie-reboot-trilogy-planned.html

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

One day, I'd love an episode of a scifi show where someone uses a time machine and immediately suffocates upon doing so because his time machine didn't move him in space, just in time.

Never been able to do the idea justice myself, but I've had the idea for years of a scifi universe where FTL travel is 100% impossible, but time travel is fairly easy. So people spread out to other stars by moving forward/backwards in time and relying on the fact that universal expansion, movement of galaxies and so on means that you will end up encountering different stuff at that point in space in different times.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

This is the backdrop of Charles Stross's Eschaton novels, with the exception that FTL travel has become possible since the initial diaspora. Just don't disrupt causality in the Eschaton's light cone. Or else.

Interesting, will have to check that out.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I like to imagine that all the other advanced human civilizations must feel really stupid for not exploring more and tracking down the Asgard and the like. They spent centuries building up nice little high tech empires, then humans from Earth pop up again and within a decade are basically among the most powerful races in that galaxy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I know it's old, but I'll spoiler tag this Daniel chat out of courtesy.

I've got a half-theory that it wasn't actually Daniel who comes back but some other ascended being imitating him. Which explains why he changes so much in the later seasons of the show. Although it is amusing to think that it is Daniel and when he descended and got a new body he chose to get some muscle upgrades and the like.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vietnamwees posted:

Also, on the subject of Ascension(Only read of you've watched all of SG1)
How is it possible that the Ori were able to ascend in the first place? I thought ascension took purity of spirit and wisdom and just general not being evil and all that? Then again, Anubis did it so I guess there are some loopholes that just never get explored in the series.

The Ancients said you have to be pure of spirit and wise and blah blah blah to ascend, but the ancients are self absorbed assholes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Talk of David Hewlett movies and no mention of A Dogs Breakfast? For shame!

http://www.adogsbreakfastmovie.com/

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

I love how that is an actual joke in the Stargate series.
Carter:Didn't you say there was no fish in your pond?
Oneil: Close enough.

Since that episode also works as a finale to that era of SG-1, I really like the idea that the fish thing is the ultimate point of the better part of a decade of the show.

"And that kids, is the story of how I met your mother got fish in my pond"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

The world building really just kinda died towards the end and I'm glad it didn't go on. We got an Ancient super-city in the SF bay and posthuman tech in our intergalactic ships' databanks. Modern Earth culture or Earth anything doesn't even exist in the SG world anymore. It's power level inflation but for space opera instead of Super Saiyans.

Can you imagine all the conspiracy theories that would exist after the Stargate project and it's offshoots were made public? Bet there would be a lot of people saying that we must have killed the Asgard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SwissCM posted:

That isn't a problem, it's awesome.

Of course, a Stargate series about earth civil society adjusting to being exposed to interplanetary travel would be pretty interesting.

I maintain that the Ori seasons would have been a ton better if they had involved the Ori managing to get a Prior to Earth and converting a few countries, and that being how the existence of the Stargate was revealed to the public.