Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I love talking about new features in C++. My problem with that language has always been that it just isn't big enough. :cthulhu:
On the other hand, changes wouldn't be happening if people didn't want the features, and they all usually seem really cool. That said, my favorite part of C++11 was >>.

I just started working in C++ at a publisher modernizing their SDK, haven't used it since college. The lead was hit by a bus on the 405, and he probably wont be back for another couple weeks. Do any of you have recommendations on how I can convince the 'senior' engineers that thread safety matters? You guys all use threads, right?

And here I was thinking that junior positions were about learning and growth, not trying to teach people higher up the chain about core concepts. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Liang Nuren posted:

If I were in your shoes, I'd take a look at the crash reports and see how many crashes are coming out of that particular SDK. Also, take a look at the data flow coming out of the SDK and see if there's intermittent/unexplainable bullshit there. Both of those are likely outcomes of thread safety issues. If you aren't seeing either of those two symptoms, then you may be mistaken about how vulnerable the code in question is. If you've got some smoking gun evidence, they will very likely listen to you.

If two threads call a function at the same time, a resource will leak. It's blatant and obvious (and simple to fix), and it's mostly a function of the developer responsible having little to no oversight. Code reviews have been eschewed because they "slow people down."

The problem is not so much this particular thing, so much as an environment which makes things like this systemic. Forcing the project onto VCS was a major victory. It only took a couple weeks of politicking.

I don't want to clutter this thread too much with this. It's starting to take a turn where it really belongs in one of the shadenfreude threads. :smith:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Max Facetime posted:

Assuming the function is a part of a larger component and that the thread-safety of the component is not documented,

We told our partners that our product is thread safe.
We shipped them something that is not.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Juc66 posted:

Aren't a number of the fields in game development underpaid compared to other industries?
I totally don't have the numbers to back that up; I know QA is paid far less on average in game development than in regular software development.

My understanding is that all fields make less than other industries. Unless you're talking about founder exits; then it's probably about average, but I don't have data on that. For founders, I assume average means: "I ran out of money and lost my house/car/marriage/dog/sanity/.., and do you have any change brother?"

Talking about dev staff.. HR probably makes about the same as other industries?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
I know there's plenty of room for the entire industry to grow up, but why does it seem like whenever these topics come up it's a bunch of westerners projecting their ideals on products from eastern developers?

Yes, a lot of eastern games are more sexually egregious than many western games, but the cultures are also very different. I can't get over the idea that we might be too deep in our puritan roots.
:911:Let's teach our kids about guns and drugs, but call child services if they see a nipple.:911:

Dragon's Crown is hilariously over-sexualized though. It's almost unfortunate that the gameplay looks good, because I hope no one ever sees me playing that game in public.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

mutata posted:

Eh, I think that's a different topic entirely. What I said above has nothing to do with "omg think of the children censorship" or nudity or anything.

There's been a lot of judging of foreign games based on American cultural norms and ideals in the past few pages. Most of the negative examples I saw were from Asian developers, while the positive examples were from American and European developers.

For better or worse, the developer communities are largely segregated. It's not clear how a bunch of westerners whining about Asian games is going to help the issue. If anything, the games will still be made and we just wont get them. To me, that's much worse than gratuitous boobs.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
:yotj:
Trading my position at a publisher in for one at a developer. Working 'in'/'around' games to working 'on' games. A seemingly minor change, but I'm pretty excited for it.

What I'm saying is, if you don't have PMs yet, you really ought to fix that.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Not really my field, but I would assume that directly related experience is useful just like it is everywhere else. Have you done any manga/anime/game translations (there are /loads/ of fan groups that do this). My assumption is that knowledge of the language you're translating to is just as/more important than knowledge of the language you're translating from. I know someone around here bootstrapped his own translation company and could give better advice..

Most of the translation houses I know of are in Southern California; some of them are subsidiaries of Japanese firms, others are independent. Salaries probably aren't great, but livable.

No, really; direct experience is a thing, in every field. It's the difference between telling someone looking to give you money, "I have a piece of paper that says I might be qualified to do this at an entry level" vs. "I made a thing and shipped it, look how terrible this thing that exists is." Always assume you're going against people with the slip of paper, direct experience, and positive references; plan accordingly.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Nobody in games goes unemployed, they go "indie." Figure stuff out, make a flash game, done. ;)

This is also why you should keep several months of expenses in liquid assets and your supply of rice and beans well stocked.

Marginally related, my new job :yotj: seems to be going fairly well. I'm sure I'll be disillusioned and jaded in two or three weeks.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

The Grammar Aryan posted:

I noticed that I can customize workflows on a per-project basis, but I don't know enough about project management to really understand how I could use that to our benefit, or how to get other people started in that direction. We'll probably be using Greenhopper, since I think we're trying to get back to an Agile environment, but right now we're in "figure out the basics" mode before we start getting into any of the other fancy stuff.

Each department in the organization can set things up so that it works correctly for them. Sales workflow and dev workflow can be somewhat different... I haven't really seen multiple projects in the same discipline use a different workflow unless one of them has a manager that's really obnoxious about doing everything the way they are used to things. eg, approximately every project in every discipline.

Figure out the basics mode really should be a bunch of post-its. JIRA is this huge/obnoxious enterprise program that's overly customizable. If you don't know exactly what you want it to do before hand, you're going to end up with a giant mess.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Leif. posted:

Speaking of producer/product management chat, does anyone's position require (or at least highly value) PMP/PMI-ACP certification?

I have family with that cert, among others; they're a PM at a fortune 100. From my understanding, it's less valuable than 6 sigma certs.

Any specific questions? I can forward them along and get answers.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
How do I tell my boss that he's been forcing me to waste time wiring up stuff from design that just doesn't work? My sausage fingers cover several elements at 4x zoom. Nothing is legible at native size.

Should I just bring in some hot dogs and give them to design as a template?

Mobile is the best.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I've only heard good things about cocos from our coders, of course we were using marmalade before soooo...

This is cocos 2d-x, which is some sort of terrible auto-generated c++ thing based on the cocos 2d codebase. I'd much rather be in cocos than this abomination.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

superh posted:

The moral is that if the client wants it, and you at least bring up the issue with them, then you just need to sigh and take an extra drink when you get home.

I sure hope you drink, friend.

e: in the dark and alone, probably, because you stayed so late your SO is asleep.

Who has time for booze or relationships when you have to work and commute? :shepicide:

E: This is really partially my fault, because I haven't moved closer to my job yet. Finding a place that isn't terrible and is reasonably costed is difficult I guess. (I have a 2h commute in the morning and about 1h in the evening. Video games.)

leper khan fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 11, 2013

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

MissMarple posted:

See this is what I don't understand. If you don't like those things you will just not play them. Your potential value is not being utilized. There are "enough" people who want a fair game where power and balance are not built into it as a time-investment or pay-now scheme that someone will cater to that market, because the "YOLO SPEND MONEY KILL BITCHES EVERYDAY WHERE DID MY $5000 GO?" crowd will have just a few devs fighting each other to capture them with mega-budgets.

The best way to get really long retention is and always will be to make something someone loves playing every day. Long retention is always value, even if they aren't a spender. This is idealist utopian future F2P stuff, but the only way it's going to get there is for talented devs who understand games to drive it. Play F2P games and understand which bits of them suck. Make ones that are better, and take their entire playerbase because your game is more fun for /everyone/ on the spending curve.

This is unnecessarily ranty, but i'm just tired of having a lot of devs around me who are going "Oh look, now we have to do another feature that is a blatant bit of empty monetisation" and it's like "Did you engage at all with that discussion? Did you fight for something you wanted instead that you think would help make the game be more profitable?". Make better games because you understand games and gamers in a deeper way than the person who wants you to do something "Because Candy Crush does it". Destroy them with lasers.

I had a boss who told my team to do a bunch of stuff because candy crush did it. It became a running joke, but he was a step below VP and we weren't. If given the choice to do something marginally dumb because my boss saw something he liked/was afraid of last week and getting fired, I'll probably just throw it together and keep my job.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
I hate it when that guy comes to lunch from home and then sticks around the office all day sounding like death. On Friday.

I know he doesn't like his wife and kids and all and that's why he spends an extra five hours at the office reading news, but he could have taken one for the team and not shown up today.

We've gone enough pages without this topic, right?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Akuma posted:

Wait what the gently caress?
Didn't Disney do the opposite of this a couple of years ago? They stopped licensing stuff so much and started doing it in-house? That loving sucks.

It's in-line with their strategy for LucasArts.

I guess maybe they're becoming more afraid of the crazy budgets and uncertain returns that are driving a large portion of the industry.

Not that any rationale makes the reality of it suck less.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Mega Shark posted:

GDC has been great so far. The Independent Games Summit had some good talks, particularly the guys who made Little Inferno. Also thanks to Shalinor for convincing me to go talk to Kellee Santiago, she has a well deserved reputation and was super approachable.

The AI summit has been good so far as well. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to go to overlapping talks. :saddowns:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

devilmouse posted:

CS / engineers really needs to be better about naming. Just today, I've read articles about OpenCL, OpenGL, and OpenFL. I know off-hand there's also an OpenAL, OpenRL, and an OpenSL.

:argh:Too many open libraries!

That means we have 20 more until figuring out a new naming scheme. :smug:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

That Gobbo posted:

With GDC passed I've been thinking about volunteering at GDC2015. Anyone been a CA and have some advice/stories about volunteering? For a first timer are most of the tracks and bootcamp/tutorials worth going to or are they mostly for more experienced developers?

Getting an all access pass for 20 hours of work sounds amazing even though I'd be missing a whole week of classes and paying a lot of money for flight and hotel. Despite that I think it'd be incredibly valuable for the talks and networking. Is the student pass + travel worth it if the volunteer thing didn't work? (I live in Virginia, which is about $300 for a flight to SF)

I would actually recommend that you take that week off you were going to take and push a side project forward a whole bunch. The talks and networking are great, but probably not as important as your portfolio.

Unless you're about to graduate, then enjoy a week of awesome talks and hit the career fair I guess. I'd advise against the student pass because no one is really cogent on Friday and you'll have better conversations in the career booths on Wednesday and Thursday.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Aliginge posted:

I continue to be all kinds of hype over the oculus, all the industry oldbies I know are all "naaaaah, won't happen, been there done that."

but here I am holdin on to that VR dream. :ohdear:

As long as someone keeps the dream alive it might happen one day. :smith:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Chainclaw posted:

Those of you who often travel for work, how do you occupy yourself after work?

Also, I'm amazed how generous some of these hotel programs are. I've hit the point where I get two free bottles of room temperature water at the hotel now each visit.

I thought this was standard for all hotels.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

demota posted:

I'm going into a place for my very first design job interview. It's at a mobile games company (We all gotta start somewhere). I'm super excited and I've been trying to prepare as best I can, but there's one piece of information I'm having a hell of a time trying to find.

Match-3 is used to refer to any kind of game where you connect three similar tiles, but is there any jargon for the different subspecies of Match-3? In my head, I call them swappers (swap two orthogonal adjacent tiles to make matches), tracers (trace a line through orthogonal and diagonal tiles to make matches) and pushers (push the entire column or row to make orthogonal matches). If there's an official industry standard term for these and I accidentally use one of the ones in my head, I'm going to feel kind of silly. :nyoron:

I usually refer to them by the first game [that I think of where] the specific mechanics I'm talking about showed up in.

Match-3 has a lot of design space; I've read a few articles on the history of design in them, and they invariably get something wrong. Most either ignore the true classics (columns, etc) or the exceptionally Japanese (money idol exchanger, etc).

Don't trust anything I say on design though; I usually stick to telling the machines what to do.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Started using unity at the office, and I'm running into issues with conflicts in hg. Does anyone have a workflow that works for small-medium sized groups that makes sure no one loses a bunch of work because the unity files can't be merged?

I suggested we move the unity projects to perforce, but I guess that's not a possibility politically.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Thanks, those are great suggestions! Now I need to try to sell my boss on some of that, but I can already hear the, "ain't nobody got time for that" line.

One day I'll be able to work with people like you and have nice things. :saddowns:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Mega Shark posted:

You would laughed out of a lot of places.

If I was feeling snarky about it in an interview, I'd phrase my disdain as an open problem in a sub field of mathematics related to the question they asked. If nothing else, doing so would show me if they actually care about the topic or if they're just looking for a reasonable parrot.

I'm pretty bad at interviews though.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

SAHChandler posted:

When are you not feeling snarky? :v:

I am good at what I am good at. :smugbert:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Beast of Bourbon posted:

The experience necessary is "I've worked on getting 80 different system/networks/databases specifically designed not to work together, to work together flawlessly"

This is what I did during my first job out of school and it's still the most impressive sounding thing I've done. Only about a dozen systems though.

It was actually a lot of fun, but I ran into various political troubles by making people unnecessary.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Unormal posted:

Minecraft wasn't exactly a technical feat of heroism. It was a relatively trivial technical and design task that happened to manifest the Lego of the digital-age. That's an awesome achivement, but while I'm positive they're all fine people and competent developers, Microsoft has an army of those. The value in Minecraft is the IP/mindshare, not the people.

Add to this that it essentially started as a clone of another game. I've become convinced that Minecraft is a story of developer marketing and integrating consumer feedback. And affirmation that I just don't understand YouTube culture.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
If I'm working on a game that is unusually seizure inducing, do I have an ethical imperative to quit or at least reduce the :catdrugs: as much as possible? Where does the line get drawn when you're fairly confident that it will kill someone if it gains traction in the marketplace?

Will Apple even allow an app that flashes the whole screen different bright colors at 30/second for a few minutes? (This is not hyperbolic it is literally what the application specifications state to do.)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

SAHChandler posted:

Is the flashing as bad as Transformers: Mystery of Convoy?

It's being used to send data to hardware. It's literally a minute+ of full screen color swaps at 30 frames.

Not sure how bad transformers was, but it's similar to the banned episode of pokemon, except that episode only flashed colors for 8 seconds or so.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

This isn't a problem or a safety hazard, it's an opportunity.

You aren't seeing the opportunity to market a safety shroud - a $15 retail drawstring bag with a $0.25 manufacturing cost that you put your phone in, and then put over the optical sensor that the hardware you're interfacing with is using.

I can see why you transitioned to the business side of game dev.

E. Thanks phone

leper khan fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 19, 2014

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Yup! It's really unfortunate that it's almost impossible to find anyone with any ideas, if only there were some freshly graduated CS graduates with great game ideas, then everyone could make so much money. :(

edit: If we can't find that, then we need the second-rarest resource in gaming: People who can identify things they don't like in popular games. If they'd just tell us what they don't like, we could immediately quit being stupid, make their changes, and then all games would be great like when they were 12.

Real talk games were better when I was 12.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

The "tutorial UGH just LET ME PLAY" thing is the most overblown "games are being ruined!!!" thing.

Those "GO HIT THE BUTTON" prompts aren't for people like you and me, they're for people who don't play games who said "What is a Call of Duties anyway?" A controller is an incredibly intimidating thing for a person who hasn't used them before, and a person who has never really used one is already having their brain overloaded, and literally needs the guy saying "Go open the door, cadet!" so they don't shut down, turn the system off, and never play the game again.

It is bordering on impossible to get over this hump in a 3D environment (unlike a 2D game like Megaman X), so that's why games literally sit down and explain their mechanics. I get that it's slightly annoying but it's just anger gamer elitism.

edit: And Dungeon Keeper was fun, but they're the easiest games in the world and if you want to play a modern version, might I direct you to The Sims 4.

Touch the button that says touch here to touch the touch here button to touch here.

I get that some intro is necessary for a lot of complicated 3d games, but I do have a problem with a lot of it blowing back into incredibly simple games. Those games make megabucks though, so what do I know?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
I spent two hours trying to figure out where to go when hl2 first came out. Then I gave up on the horrible single player mode and played more counterstrike.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

...how?

HL2 is bad, says this guy.

The one thing that always bugged me (irrationally) about HL2 is that there's always one way through an area, and Gordon always seems to find it. The paths are incredibly linear, and in a weird way when you're just out in the city or whatever.

At the very beginning after you go into this courtyard area and walk around trying to figure out where to go with no indication.. yeah not the best game.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

You appear to have posted 2 days ago about disliking the handholding in modern games, so I guess you're either trolling or lacking self awareness.

Human beings are inconsistent. I do dislike handholding in modern games. I also dislike being lost in games.

Is it so much to ask that the puppet masters lead me on without explicitly telling me so, or to give me hints when it's determinable that I need them instead of when it's determinable that I don't?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Except that HL2 is basically one of the best examples of an environment being able to handhold a player through an environment without it feeling like handholding, especially those early levels. There's literally no where to go but forward. The fact that you felt that you had options of where to go in the courtyard (you don't) proves that they were effective. The fact that you gave up there just proves that your attention span is very very short.

Pacing is a different issue, and by modern standards HL2 is pretty slow at the start. But like I said, that's different from it being confusing or too open. It's HL2, not Morrowind.

I clearly did not have places to go from the courtyard because I could not get out of it. I did not feel like there were places to go, I felt like I was unable to proceed. Because I was unable to proceed. I haven't touched the game since release week and have no intention to go back and get lost again. I don't think the issue is my attention span, as I spent a literal two hours on a segment of the game with nothing to do and seemingly nowhere to go. The game wouldn't point me in a direction even when I tried to get it to do so.

Morrowind, on the other hand, is one of my favorite games. It's full of interesting content everywhere you look, and if you get lost on a specific objective you can backtrack and read the directions from your journal.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Then maybe you are just bad at games, I dunno, I'm not a mind-reader or a time traveler, but you should recognize that you are an *extreme* outlier here.

I appreciate that many people enjoy bad games like HL2 and dislike great games like Monster Hunter.

Let's all just agree that Tetris is pretty great and get on with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Jan posted:

Seriously man, just stop talking. You cannot express an opinion like this and expect to be taken seriously on any game dev forum.

It is my earnest opinion as a player and creator of games that HL2 is bad. I've briefly expanded on that point and have what I believe are valid and logical reasons for that belief.

I do not expect everyone here to share that belief, but the implication that I should share yours makes me take you less seriously as a creative and indicates a lack of empathy for portions of your potential audience.