Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Even if with pristine vinyl, this will never sound good. The stereo mix of this album is horrid. Like, basically, some of the songs sound like the entire song is in the right speaker, with just high end and low end but nothing in the mid (it sounds really bizarre), and then vocal overdubs will be in the left speaker with really good fidelity.

As far as I know, the CD issues are all stereo. Which is bizarre. The mono version actually sounds so much better. It actually sounds like it was recorded by people who knew how to make a record sound like it wasn't playing out of a bad radio in one side of the room while the backing singers sang.

Yeah. For a record that came out in 1966 on a major label there is no excuse for how crappy it sounds. I actually thought it was a much older recording.

In other news the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack is under $13 on amazon right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

JehovahsWetness posted:

I used to have a lot more gospel 45s rips up, but these might interest you. I've also got a Mary DeLoach version of Move This Thing that's a different take than the one she released on Artic. Much more stripped down Thorpe style, I'm pretty sure I've ripped it before. I'll see if I can find it.

http://handalligator.com/mp3/Voice of the Clouds - Jacob%27s Ladder.mp3
http://handalligator.com/mp3/The Gospel Twilights - Sinner Where Youll Run.mp3

Plus two old mixes:

https://soundcloud.com/jehovahswetness/get-right-v1
https://soundcloud.com/jehovahswetness/get-right-v2

Nice. Thank you.

Been entering in the collection in Discogs and I guess I'm about halfway done with the LPs at 650. So far this is the only one I'm having trouble locating.

French pressing of Animal House that I've had sitting around forever.

Been feeling fuzzy lately. I have tickets to King Gizzard next month. Pretty stoked and bonus points the wife digs them too.

Cheap bin stuff.

:nws:http://imgur.com/mAKHO91:nws:

NWS I guess for cartoon dong. Been looking for a song from the movie Whisky 2 and finally found it.

Possibly :nws: :nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ib9MNceIs:nms: :nws: (dude breaks his legs around the 8 min mark)

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Mt. Modular posted:

http://www.vinylmeplease.com/record-of-the-month/

It looks like Gorillaz Demon Days is going to be album of the month for April. I've never subscribed before, but $23 seems like a better deal than some of the crazy prices on original copies or bootlegs.

You might hold off and see if it gets a wider release unless you really want the translucent red wax. I joined up to get Odelay and it was released as a plain black vinyl everywhere else for about $10 cheaper. You have until April 15th to pull the trigger on it.

BigFactory posted:

I have that gorillaz album on cd. Thinking bout making a CD megathread

I ripped all of my cds to the computer and now they live in shoeboxes in the basement. Cant bring myself to get rid of my physical copies though.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

ShotgunWillie posted:

It may be marketing, but they have had so many signups for Demon Days, they are predicting closing to new members in a day or two. They've also specifically stated that this new remaster is THEIRS and theirs alone. But hey, it's the internet and people lie.

Wow. It looks like they got rid of their one at a time option because of the demand... crazy.

edit:
Nevermind. figured it out.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 21, 2017

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

revmoo posted:

It's either sold out or those referral links ain't workin

The Gorillaz record is sold out now. The referral links are weird, they don't seem to work but you get an email later saying you have ten bux on your account. I forgot they only apply to future purchases.

SeXReX posted:

Their social media is making it seem like i just missed the cut off but they're saying the info in my profile is indicating i didn't.

Can't wait to get an email saying there was some mistake.

Sign into your account and it should say what record you are getting next.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Schremp Howard posted:

Ehhhh the only thing I really care about on that list is Sunny Day Real Estate. Probably not worth waking up that early to go.

Also :laffo: at the official website having watermarks over the thumbnails of each release saying "support indie record stores not flippers"

It's like the whole day is geared towards flipping. gently caress record store day. (I'm just sore I didn't get the Mr. Hankey record.) I do love seeing the garbage that no one buys sitting around for the rest of the year.

edit:

Oh poo poo. Marcy Playground. I take it all back.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 22, 2017

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Light in the Attic is having a little sale

http://lightintheattic.net/shelves/Spring%20Cleaning%20Sale%202017

I picked up the Loma set and the Jane Birkin and Serge.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

bowmore posted:

New King Gizzard album is up for preorder
Just got home from the show. Godamn they are a tight band. The AC⚡DC intro was rad too. Oh poo poo they played part of that new song tonight. It was cool live but I don't know if I could listen to that cyborg stuff on an album.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 12, 2017

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Allen Wren posted:

r
just use a hyphen or a slash or nothing like a normal human being

gently caress
Cause I'm 40 years old and these picture things on my phone blow my mind.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Trying to decide keep it or flip it. Kinda a fun party album to have in my set but on the other hand I'm not at all attached to it and I can buy a bunch of records for what it sells for. Seems weird this isn't getting more of a reissue.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

stay depressed posted:

someone asked if i had this so i took some pics for them here they are

That's a fine record there.

dorium posted:

Are they even flipping at the rate that you could get that $100+ price tag on it? I haven't seen any shifts in sales since it came out. I've got that one and an original pressing and have really thought about a flip because the OP is superior to be honest. no split tracks and it isn't cut so hot.

Yeah. They are going for over $100 right now. I was listening to it and decided to keep it but I got one of the defective ones so hopefully I can get it replaced.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I got one with a few skips. I cleaned the poo poo out of it and it plays fine now. Might be worth a shot.

Mine has that locked groove skip on side C that everyone is complaining about. Otherwise it sounded great.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Picked up the Beatles in Mono box set for $138 US. Use the code WELCOME.
https://shop.musicvaultz.com/*/Spring-Clearance-Sale/The-Beatles-In-Mono-Boxed-Set-14-LP/3MNZ0EOD000

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The true value is in the memories...

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Guess I'm on a compilation kick...

Got these during one of those overseas Amazon deals. Volume 4 (Green) seems pretty elusive which will probably trigger my OCD for years.

Sorry about the blurry picture but I grabbed these from the Light in the Attic spring sale. Haven't had a chance to listen but I'm sure I'll dig these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuxdJNNlKZk
Just watched this movie and had to grab the soundtrack. Volume 2 is a little too disco/80's but it $10 for the colored wax version so I snagged it as well.

Edit:

Got this as packing material and both the album and the cover rule.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 19, 2017

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wait, what's the story here?

GIS his other signed records. Not sure it's worth the extra $.

Yeah they have been heavily hinting at this all month. Official announcement is tomorrow. I can't stand Fiona Apple so I'll either swap it or sell it. Looks like there has never been a vinyl release of it. Wonder how much it will go for.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Who the hell still cares about Fiona Apple?

:shrug:

They are expecting it to sell out pretty quickly.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I thought I read some audiophile bullshit a long time ago that rated the colors with black being best and I forget, maybe yellow or blue being the worst.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

screaden posted:

Where is that video of the kickstarter funded (I think it was anyway) record store that was 2 boxes of your parent's records in the middle of a big room?

I wanna see this.

Also. I know a couple dudes that work in a pressing plant. I could gather some questions to pass along.

CPL593H posted:

I've also heard that sometimes the mixed color ones are made from a bunch of left over pellets they swept off the floor.

This being the first.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

gently caress yeah MC Hellshit and DJ Carhouse!

Sweet.

And holy poo poo that VNYL thing is the worst. Just a straight up scam. I watched some reviews and yeah, have fun with your Goodwill records. I mean you can tell those ladies in the store are so full of poo poo.

Here is my favorite unboxing video from VNYl.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCnouXJ2rl4

sporklift fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 20, 2017

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Fiona Apple crashed the VMP website. I thought it would have been funny to have everyone guessing Fiona Apple and then announcing a deluxe reissue of 4 Non Blondes.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I dropped by after work expecting to find nothing but snagged the Girls in the Garage record. I almost picked up The Flower Traveling Band but they wanted $30 and it seems widely available elsewhere.

Then I grabbed these. Someone musta found a box of NOS records cause these look totally unplayed.

The Lenny Dee is pretty dope.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Code for The Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas

mergerecords.com/digital
Serial - 68EO45HH Barcode - 673855048166

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Action Serious posted:

Well I guess my Vinyl Me Please account auto renewed even though I thought I for sure cancelled it after Demon Days. Now I've got a Fiona Apple record that I couldn't be less interested in on the way.

I'm definitely selling mine. Hopefully it will pay for the subscription. I gotta say they have pretty great customer service. My Demon Days was defective and they sent out a new copy ASAP and I get to keep the other. Only skips on one song so I'm gonna give it to my friend who is a big fan.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

So I checked ebay sold auctions and people have already paid anywhere between 75 and 150 dollars for the Fiona Apple Tidal LP that no one is in possession of and you can still order for the original retail price. Why are people this stupid? It's not like it's hard to just google that poo poo and find it for sale on Vinyl Me, Please.

I wonder what happens when someone gets one of the defective copies second hand. Send it back to the flipper who then has to send it back to VMP?

It looks like VMP has gotten rid of the single month option maybe some people just want the record without the hassle of joining the club... who am I kidding. People are dumb.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Phearson posted:

So my half brother passed away a few years ago, and his mother asked me if I wanted his vinyl collection. I was only recently able to pick it up, and now have the daunting task of cataloging the whole thing (my guess is I've got 2-3k albums). I plan on keeping a small collection of stuff that interests me, and selling off the rest.

I've started cataloging with discogs, and I've looked at their grading guide, but since I have no experience with vinyl I'm not very confident in the quality levels I'm assigning. How do I figure out if what I think is "very good+" is what someone interested in buying thinks is?

It might be worth it to get a professional to help you. That is a lot of records to go through and grade.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Phearson posted:

Thanks, that actually helps a lot!

I know it's a lot of work, but I'm interested in going through the whole collection anyways to pick out what interests me. I figure I'll give it a shot and find someone else to do it if it ends up being too much.

Of course go through them first. That's gonna be the fun part. Grading that many? Sucks. Vinyl dorks are almost as bad as comic nerds regarding condition. That would be a nightmare to sell (especially individually) if you are new to the record game.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

wa27 posted:

Sounds fine to me, but I'm definitely not the best person to ask (because of my non-discerning ear and less than ideal setup). I see a lot of people say their pressings skipped on first playthrough. There's so much deadwax on each disc that I would have expected them to space out the grooves more to avoid that (that's a thing, right?). There's also the issue of no tracks on the labels, and the disc#/side# labeling is stupidly hard to read. Overall it's a pretty bad release in a lot of aspects, though the packaging is nice.

It's ART man.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

cosmicjim posted:

This is a good post. I got lucky and got my Kinks records from a record shop that had a huge collection they got from a British collector that had already moved his collection from the UK and he had to move across the US and decided not to move it again.

Yeah. No problem finding the Lola 45, but I had to pay more than a couple bucks for Arthur. The 80s stuff always seems to be around though.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

SwimNurd posted:

If your friend is into soul or roots music I really like Mississippi records, or their other shop in Hollywood, Little Axe Records. 2nd street records downtown is pretty fantastic for Metal and Punk too.

These are great. My random stop on the way home from work today at Little Axe.

Everyday Music is huge with multiple locations. I always find something there.

Clinton St. Records, Music Millennium

Kinda depends what neighborhood yer in.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

I credit a solid 90% of my finds to crate digging for hours on end at Crossroads Records in Portland. Thankfully this one was on display, I was in and out in under an hour.

Crossroads is dangerous time sink. Kinda glad it is a bit of a drive for me.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Skeezy posted:

Lmao, I don’t remember what they labeled the variant as originally.

"Weeping Sakura". It's, uh, definitely a unique varient.

It was a nice surprise in the mail. Seems like I pre ordered it ages ago.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Recieved my new King Gizzard album from goon owned? Needle Juice Records.

Vinyl looks cooler than the mock up. I think the cover is kinda ugly but that seems to be the Giz style

This "new" Songs Ohia showed up today as well. Just went with black vinyl on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMhLT-Ga71Y

This Seu Jorge was supposed to br clear vinyl...which is ok because clear vinyl is a pain in the rear end in dark bar. Pretty crappy pressing with lots of surface noise and some skips, but I still dig it.

Cool retro soundtrack sounding stuff. This was supposed to be smokey red vinyl and it just turned out mostly translucent red with one little black smudge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faMfDgQTXk8

Vinyl Me Please. I keep letting my poo poo expire then they put out something like this. It's a really beautiful package. Foil embossed, thick textured cover, sounds rad.

... and it wouldn't be complete without the crappy VMP art print

King Sperm is ready to die.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 13, 2018

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Oldstench posted:

When you have dinner parties do you select a record to display based on the the wine or your shoes?

Usually the shoes.

MrSargent posted:

I missed this but it’s glorious. I need to keep an eye out for that one, I have quite a bit of Isaac Hayes but somehow missing that one.

Saw a copy for $3 the other day but it was not the fold out cover.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The_Rob posted:

So I have an audio question. My speakers have started making loud feedback when I put the needle onto the record. When it plays there is no feedback but right before and right after the record it's there. Anything to fix this?

Is everything grounded?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Swapped Arctic Monkeys for the Piero Umiliami. The Coathangers, super vibrant colors, it was supposed to be a different variant but I don't really care what color the wax is.

Little nostalgia bomb...

Birtha has balls. I guess that was their slogan. Anyway pretty awesome 70's hard rock that seems to have slipped through the cracks. My wife did not like Jandek... At all.

Soul of a Bell and Badu are VMP pressings. They do a drat good job on the pressings and the overall package but the price is just a tad too high for me.

Goodie Mob is a pretty awesome package from VMP but those stencils are almost as garbage as the art prints. Might be the last time I sign up with them unless they go back to pressing more hard to find stuff. like this. This month's hip hop selection was Doggystyle which I had just picked up for ten bux. The classics selection is The Lightmen Plus One, which I want, but Now and Again will be releasing it in a couple months.

Also. gently caress this poo poo....

https://www.princehitnrun.com/product/5QPR01COMBO/nc2u-picture-disc-vinyl-tshirt-bundle?cp=null

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

Southern Lord's reissuing Earths Bee's Made Honey in the Lion's Skull: https://southernlord.com/store/the-bees-made-honey-in-the-lions-skull/

gently caress. Sold out while I was typing in my info. edit: Managed to score the small shirt combo. Wife gets shirt. I get one of my favorite albums. But still.... I hate the whole add item to cart, go through the whole checkout process, lol nevermind we sold it.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 28, 2018

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Had to go check my Zep. II is just a regular copy but here's my hot stamper HoH. Do I need to NWS this?

:nws:https://imgur.com/p1qWfFc:nws:

It's totally signed too! Signed by someone...

And JehovahsWetness put it pretty well. A lot of those samples could just be one song on an album or even worse just a snippet of a song... I know its probably not "cool" but there are a ton of good Breaks records out there that stand alone as just really good compilation albums. I bought the Blue Break Beats albums https://www.discogs.com/Various-Blue-Break-Beats/release/44125 when amazon was clearing them out. I dig em. Or just buy funk and soul records, they usually have the killer breaks built right in.

I think it was a few pages back but to add the the pretty wax discussion The Books, Lemon Of Pink album that VMP put out is really striking. The label and the colored vinyl are just done perfectly in my opinion. I prefer just plain black records but this one is nice to look at.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ras Het posted:

Once in the recommendations thread someone asked for "energetic and exciting jazz" or something and I told them to listen to Machine Gun and they were like "OK, cool... I meant like the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack"

I just looked up the Cowboy Bebob stuff. I guess its kinda Henry Mancini ish. What genre is that? 60's pop jazz?

Anyway as for some energetic jazz, the second release in this subscription is pretty rad.

https://cultures-of-soul.myshopify.com/products/lp-subsciption-series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

The soundtrack album I really want to exist would be for Legion. The scores stuff is great, the covers of famous rock songs are great, and also I need to have Dan Stevens singing Rainbow Connection.

The score exists, maybe Mondo will put out the soundtrack.