Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

caligulamprey posted:

I was supposed to be visiting family in Santa Cruz for Christmas until literally half an inch of snow shut the city of Portland down. As a consolation gift I was handed a stack of cash and told to go to the record store. So I hit my favorite spot in town Crossroads and grabbed everything that would fit into my bag:

I didn't find a copy of the new Karma reissue, but I'll throw money at any Pharoah Sanders records all day. Africa's new to me, too.

Getting all up in some soundtracks. I've watched Phantom of the Paradise probably three times in the last month, that one was an immediate gimmie. I don't know if Home of the Brave is a condensed version of the United States box, but it's a nice replacement for when I don't have the time to commit to a five record album.

I had no idea there was an unreleased Units record. The copy on the sticker says it's more pop, I'm excited and Futurismo's releases are super fancy. I had my hand on two Legendary Pink Dots (And dots related) albums that were $12 a pop. This solo record won out because all four sides are sealed. what is in itt, even?. I'm not into singer/songwriters at all and I just don't perceive lyrics 9 times out of ten, but the BF slipped on Hissing of Summer Lawns on at a party once and it hit me real good. And Barnes and Barnes did Fish Heads, But a lot of these songs are legit. Soak it Up is the best '80s pop song about female ejaculation you've ever heard.

And if you're not into music

Flight F I N A L was sampled extensively by Negativland and it's a buck wild narrative about a passenger plane that's flying to heaven with all the fresh souls on board. Rickles is ruthless and always a good time and the Emo Phillips record cover just fucks so hard.

And that wraps up Christmas Haul 2022.

Also: just 'cause I gotta talk Res bullshit, that cancelled flight has been transferred to another plane ticket in three weeks where I will be attending The Residents' super secret 50th Anniversary one-off show in San Francisco. They're advertising 20 hand-picked songs, guest stars known and unknown and apparently they're only letting about 50 people in for the show. What are they even going to dooooo? :allears:

I am extremely jealous of that Profondo Rosso and Phantom of the Paradise you have. Love both movies and the scores are loving amazing.

Also howdy vinyl Goons! I got a Victrola for Xmas (still waiting for it to actually arrive because lol Amazon) and I've already bought some records to show off

The first CoF album I heard.....Jesus Christ almost 20 years ago :magical:

Trv Norwegian Black Metal on pretty purple vinyl :3:

Double disc and the back of the second is engraved with the logo

The cobalt vinyl looks sooo good in person

And my favorite Roxy Music album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah, it's payday and I just ordered a bunch of records from Amazon/Target/Ebay.

And I got this beauty in today

Somehow the limited edition gold was cheaper than the standard black so I got the gold. Also I love colored vinyl.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

My adventures in vinyl continue as more records I've ordered trickle in.

No idea why the limited edition gold was cheaper than the standard black but I am a sucker for colored vinyl so it worked out

My best friend bought me this one :3:

Hell yeah Emperor! Waiting on my copy of In the Nightside Eclipse to arrive still

My three favorite S&G albums

A maxi-single my friend ordered for me because he thought it was the full album lol

And finally

The Target Exclusive edition with a Silver vinyl because as previously stated, I'm a sucker for colored vinyl.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

BigFactory posted:

Is that a new scary monsters or used? It’s in nice shape if it’s used.

It's new from Amazon. The S&G's are used from ebay and all three look to be in fantastic condition other than the covers having some wear on them.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

After checking my eBay purchases, looks like the most I've spent on a single record was $60 for a fancy copy of the Hellraiser 3 score because I was super high and thought it was Hellraiser 2. Don't get high and buy records kids

I almost paid close to $100 with shipping for an album until I waited a couple days and a US seller had it. Now they just need to ship the god drat thing. I want my Reichman album god drat it!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Boinks posted:

Found this for $1.

I'd love to know what you think because an album of all Moog poo poo sounds like exactly the kind of weird electronic poo poo I'd be into

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah!

Also OMG I laughed so loving hard just now as it was playing and I heard the chorus to Age of Aquarius :allears: this loving rules.
E: Yeah this rules, listened to it while writing this post lol

Anyway lemme dump my recent mail arrivals:

the other side is actually mostly black with a bit of blue, looks pretty cool. And to whoever was saying this album sounded weird and was looking for my input, after listening to the vinyl and the digital copy I have, it's just the album, it's meant to sound that way lol.

Kinda pissed because I love this score but side B is ever so slightly warped so some tracks have a bit of a wobbly sound.

Sadly the digital edition has a couple extra songs I hoped would make it onto the vinyl but they didn't. Ah well, I can always enjoy "Saturday Night" via streaming

Sadly the photo doesn't really do the disc color justice, it looks so loving nice in person. Available at Target.

Fun fact: I'm pretty sure I killed any chance I had at a second date with a cute goth girl one time because I told her I prefered Peter Murphy's solo work to Bauhaus.

Another disc that pops way more in person

It's blue!

This one honestly feels like the most "Premium" record I've bought, really nice stock for the cover, a full sleeve sized booklet with lyrics and pictures.

Clear with a red splatter, looks cool as hell

It is hella blue

Speaking of weird electronic poo poo I love :v:

Green vinyl that looks sick as hell

I've got a couple more odds and ends coming but I'll share em when they arrive

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

petit choux posted:

I have no son (tears beard)

I respect Bauhaus and his work with them, I just prefer his solo work. :shrug:

caligulamprey posted:

Return of the Living Dead is bar none the best band-based soundtrack and every act on it is worth checking out. :buddy:

:hmmyes:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah Sam Cooke fans in the vinyl thread :hmmyes:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah got two of my favorite albums in today

If you like German electronic music from the 80s I recommend this one https://youtu.be/H9xU3Qv97Mg

And a top to bottom excellent pop record

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hahahahahahaha hell yeah, today was a fine day for mail

Didn't expect it to be a picture disc, and had specifically skipped other eBay sellers for it because they all listed as picture discs. Plays just fine though so I'm not complaining :black101:

And the best Ministry album :colbert:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my completionist instinct has kicked in and after buying Das Rheingold from the local "has no idea how to price classical records" shop* I am ordering Die Walkure from discogs. Help

*this shop owns the guy knows i'm the only person who occasionally takes opera off his hands so I just outright get poo poo for free sometimes

:bisonyes: Wagner loving rules.

Reminds me I need to actually watch that bluray set of the Ring cycle I bought last year.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

Tis the season to clean out hobbies and collections. I've just cleaned out the family vhs tapes, because I don't have it in me to collect another dead format. No treasures to be had there either.

I inherited what was left of my dad's VHS collection before he moved (and later passed) and it's just sitting in a bookcase in my room, taking up space. I keep meaning to just toss em all on the curb with a "Free" sign on them but :effort:

Might keep the old WWF tapes, if only for the nostalgia, because I'm sure as hell not going to try and hook up the VCR I have, but part of me says "If you're getting rid of all of them, get rid of ALL OF THEM."

poo poo format too honestly, although cheap horror movies on VHS benefited from the lack of visual sharpness that came with DVD and eventually HD.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

VHS is on the rise for collectability right now. A lot of those cheap horror films never got a later release for example and people want them now. Yours might be worth checking if they're worth something. My mother's big blockbuster rom coms and common easily available stuff like the 90s Lost in Space movie and A Christmas Story not so much, but I knew there wouldn't be rare gems going in. Heck, for all I know the old Star Wars trilogy VHS set could be worth something solely because it was before Lucas went back and reedited the films.

Most of what I've got is the Universal monster stuff and some random other crap, nothing particularly rare or valuable and while making a little cash off them has crossed my mind, I'm also lazy as gently caress and would be happy to just have them be out of my possession.

And hot tip to anyone looking to get the original Star Wars trilogy without the special edition fuckery (without spending an arm and a leg for the VHS) I got a bluray from https://sloppysecondsales.com/

Bootleg as hell? Absolutely (all 3 are on one bluray) but they look really good and I can watch Star Wars like I remember as a wee child in the early 90's and all it cost me was $20 or so with shipping. They've got some other good stuff on there, especially if you're looking for obscure Japanese stuff.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Oh hey lemme show off the new additions to the collection.

This is such a great Goblin score for one of the rare modern Argento movie that doesn't suck.

My favorite horror movie after Hellraiser

One of the few times Argento didn't work with Goblin/Simonetti and still a killer score.

Dan from Game Grumps has a second band and I like it

I adore Anathema, their old death doom stuff and their newer prog stuff too.

Hello I am a sadboy.

:black101:

Another 90's death doom album

SLAYER!

My favorite fake live album (Boingo Alive is pretty close)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

I THINK they mean "most expensive of that month".

What's the most y'all have ever paid?

So far, $50 for a vintage copy of the "Phantom of the Paradise" soundtrack off Ebay. That's about as much as I'm willing to drop on records at this point.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

Y'all remember Pig Destroyer?

They're still releasing music, last full album was 2018 and they put out an EP in 2020.

Also the last album gave us this amazing video :

https://youtu.be/7IMhNSro3GE

It's no "Prowler in the Yard" but it's a decent album.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah records. Mostly new stuff I've snagged off Amazon or eBay

Debating if I want to try and get the season 3 score or not, because then I'll have all the of the Badalmenti scores for Twin Peaks.

An original 1974 release, with the original paper sleeve for the record that has some neat advertising on it, forgot to get a picture. Also the disc is in excellent condition and plays beautifully. Only spent $50 with shipping for it so I'm extremely happy about this find.

Target exclusive purple vinyl :getin:

Another Target exclusive colored vinyl, one is orange the other is green I believe?

It's a good pop album :colbert:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah Revolver reprints. I also feel way better about dropping $100 for both of these now that I've seen what they're going for on discogs :aaa:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

INXS :hmmyes:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

God drat Instagram Ads got me this time:

https://spacelab9.com/collections/featured-products/products/splatterhouse-soundtrack?variant=44623640822048

I grabbed the purple/black version.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A couple more vintage ebay finds

Potentially illegally sold to me :sickos:

This one has an embossed cover

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

So I just ordered this album based on the cover alone:
And then found the music video and :allears: I can't wait til it arrives

https://youtu.be/PfAu8vqAHxc

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hell yeah mail today was real good. Shout out to Vinyl Pursuit in Canada for the great prices on these vintage records. And they included some extra plastic sleeves so that's handy as hell.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The worst shipping cost I've seen so far was something like $20/$25 from the UK.

FOR A $15 RECORD.

So shout out to whoever I bought my copy of "East of the Sun" in Germany from. $30 total with shipping.

And while I generally avoid pre-orders I absolutely smashed the pre-order button on the vinyl release of the Splatterhouse arcade soundtrack. Jokes on me though because that poo poo isn't coming out till August :negative:

https://spacelab9.com/products/splatterhouse-soundtrack got the "Mouldering Purple"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hooray the rest of the albums I ordered from Vinyl Pursuit arrived!

Don't worry the sticker is just there to rep the good folks who included a full package of disc sleeves and I think album covers with this order.

Giorgio :allears:

And finally, not from Canada but the fine folks at Revolver who keep roping me into spending large sums of money for Type O Negative records. $42 impulse buy :homebrew:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

pwn posted:

I miss when i had 149 records

I crossed 149 a week or two ago lol. So far I've found two of these https://a.co/d/aQ2TDA3 and two of these https://a.co/d/1Hy8ivT are pretty effective. Pulling all the double albums out of the cubes and into the trays also helped a lot.

Current count is 162 with 2 more coming tomorrow and 10 more in various states of pre-order/awaiting shipment.

But at least I got a couple of the Oingo Boingo reissues

So-Lo and Dark at the End are arriving tomorrow despite being ordered at the same time from the same seller on eBay :v:

Now they just need to get the additional reprints of Only a Lad in stock.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

pwn posted:

God that's expensive for crates and shelves.

I use these extra long plastic crates my older sister bought from Kmart in the mid-late 90s

Those hold like, 100? Singles? Or 40-50 doubles/gatefold? I don't really know for sure, none of them are filled with just one or the other, one I counted that was about 60/40 doubles/singles came in at 60 titles.

In an alternate configuration, they can hold about 70 singles (a few are doubles/gatefold) plus a murder of box sets, four Kates Bush, one Garth, one Rod Stewart

Yes they even hold dust!

I have three of those, plus three regular black plastic crates that I think I also got from my sister, and one odd blue crate that's just the tiniest bit smaller than the black ones that holds all the Jack White stuff. Or used to anyway, that collection has now outgrown the crate.

Those large crates were $6.97 when my sister bought them in 199X, which the government's inflation calculator tells me is equivalent to about $13 these days. These things are just plastic or whatever, don't overpay for them, these vultures jack up the price just because it's for ~records~

Also where did you get yr Boingos? Those are the only two I missed :(

Snagged those on Ebay from https://www.ebay.com/str/panthercitycollectibles. I could have sworn I saw something on the Rubellan website about reprinting some a bunch of the sold out Boingo records including Only A Lad but now I can't actually find where it said that so maybe I was just really high and imagined it.

I just want a copy of OaL that's not going to cost me a got drat arm and a leg :argh:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I unfortunately own one picture disc. It's a Bathory record so it at least looks cool and it played fine the one time I played it but man I really would have preferred a regular version but gently caress me, apparently "Blood, Fire, Death" is only easily available on picture disc.

The pain of trying to get back metal on vinyl and not spending a fortune :negative:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

JAMOOOL posted:

talked to the record store guy yesterday who said the hardest RSD title to come by is gonna be...Be a Man by Macho Man Randy Savage

Never underestimate wrestling fans willingness to own dumb poo poo.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Okay y'all didn't mention that the Randy Savage disc was purple.

I'm giving it consideration now. drat you.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

mutantIke posted:

if my record store doesn't have the Poe release I'll be very disappointed

If it had been "Haunted" I would have actually left my house today and gone out to Berkeley for RSD.

It wasn't so I'll just wait to see whats available online from the left overs tomorrow morning.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Listening to Carpenter's first Lost Themes (reissue on colored vinyl), which I got since it was on a deep discount at Two Headed Dog.

How the gently caress did I sleep on this for so long? This poo poo fuckin' rips... I mean I knew it would, but drat.

Lost Themes indeed rips. Lost Themes 2/3 are also really good.

Sadly the shop I was going to try and order a couple of the RSD releases from this morning were already sold out (the Death compilation and the Goblin disc) but that's okay because I ordered copies of "Leprosy" by Death and "Prowler in the Yard" from Relapse yesterday and this morning I poked around the Walmart site and snagged the exclusive red Kill Em All, Nirvana Unplugged, Face-lift, Prequelle by Ghost, and For Victory by Bolt Thrower, with Unplugged being the most expensive at $26 :v:

Walmart may be the devil but drat if they don't have good prices on records

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

wa27 posted:

I stopped by some record stores this weekend:

Most of these were $4. A few were $2. The Left Banke was $10. Big Bambu has the rolling paper.

This quote from Richie Blackmore on the FRONT COVER of the Green Bullfrog record made me laugh:

I also picked these up for cheap. Thanks for the recommendation!:

That Blackmore quote is :discourse:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

stealie72 posted:

So my kid is asking for a turntable for her 15th birthday "but not once as nice as yours" (I've just got an Orbit).

What's my best bet for something that's likely going to be a fad for her and not worth spending $$$ on? It's going to need either a preamp or ability to play to powered speakers, and she's going to want to play my records so it can't have a dogshit stylus.

Can you upgrade the carts on the $100 ones on Amazon?

Take her to the pawnshop and get an old consumer one and an amp and learn to fix a turntable?

Just throw money at it?

I bought a $70 or something Victrola briefcase player early this year on Amazon and it's compact and sounds fine with its built-in speakers (I did buy external speakers) so that might be an option.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Did some light shopping today.

I have a problem.

drat friend you got at least 5 in there that I want for my own collection. Consider this Goon to be jelly as gently caress.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Been on a buying binge myself lately and wanted to pick up some favorites (because at least the Portishead records seem to go out of print fairly often and then the prices loving double)

Perfect records through and through

Hell yeah Portishead. I don't remember how much I spent for my copy of "Dummy" but I'd pay it again in a heartbeat because that album is so loving good.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

:bisonyes: got the email about the Oingo Boingo represses of Only a Lad being back in stock so I snapped up a copy of the blue metallic version. :bisonyes:

Link for those interested https://www.rubellanremasters.com/online-store

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yeah the trick with Newbury is to wait until their stuff goes on sale. You can get "exclusive" presses for cheap.

https://www.newburycomics.com/collections/newbury-exclusives-1499-and-under

E: good stuff there includes Neko Case, Destroyer, Thou, Doomriders, Xiu Xiu, Mavis Staples, Nails, John Carpenter, Portrayal of Guilt, Converge

Hell yeah, grabbed a copy of Lost Themes 3 for $22 with shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Small lunch time haul.

Was a little late on a lot of old Priest and Sabbath used that came in last week. Hopefully the stuff next week is good. They had a copy of George Harrisons "All Things Must Pass" but it was unsurprisingly snatched up the day they posted it.

:hmmyes: under a funeral moon