Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
This is from a while back, but still amusing to me:
When I still had my V-Star 250, my friend was helping me swap out the handlebars. His girlfriend took a photo and posted it on Facebook with the description "The guys working on the bike."
Her ex's little brother commented "Pff That's not a REAL bike!" (or something to that effect.) This coming from a kid who doesn't actually own a bike, he just borrows his brother's GSX-R. That is until said brother flipped it trying to do a stoppie and broke his (I believe) collar bone. Pretty sure that was the second or third bike he wrecked, too. Kid's learning from the best!
I was going to respond, but she removed the comment before I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Anybody can learn on a literbike! Once....

One of the guys I work with has a really nice RC-51 and our coworker (who has never ridden) has been bothering him constantly to let him ride it. We both just laugh every time he asks. Now he's decided to buy a 'Busa to one up the RC.

Is it bad to place bets on a co-workers life expectancy?

I thought it was mandatory.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Coworker asked me the other day "So you ride the ferry, right?"
"Yeah."
"And motorcycles go in the front of the boat?"
"If they get there before loading."
"Do you have to tie it down? Doesn't the wind blow it over?"
:what:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I understand the idea of listing something for more than you're intending to make off the sale, but over MSRP is just silly. poo poo, I was happy to get $2,000 for my '09 V-Star 250 as a trade in. And that was with a hole in the crank case.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
All I see in Seattle is Monsters, vintage BMWs & Triumphs.

E: I'm such a unique snowflake on my FZ6.

EE: Ah, Das Busa! We've got a thread on them over on the SV650 forums. http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145688&highlight=das+busa

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 6, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I don't like Can Ams because they're goddamn huge and ugly as gently caress. How's that for a reason?

E: Just to make sure I'm being clear here: I don't hate them. I do laugh at the guy who is wearing full on yellow gear to match it because it looks so funny, though. But he does get props for protection.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

front wing flexing posted:

When he said the 0-60 was 6.8. A couple of posters. And nothing.

He wasn't wrong, he was referencing the wrong model. An error he corrected when you pointed that out. The 0-60 for the RSS is still nothing to write home about.
You also turned one thing he got wrong into most of his facts being wrong.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
250s can be fast! I burried the needle on my V-Star 250 at 90 and it kept on going. 90mpg, too :smug:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The RS S is 4.5 seconds, not 4.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
One sends the owner to the hospital with shattered ear drums.
One can't corner tight enough and rams into a wall.
One provides a fun time, albeit at a conservative pace.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Bondematt posted:

The Ninja will zoom around the track smiling.
The Harley will hit the front flip lever at some point.
The Can-Am will be riding around the track at a slower, but still fun pace, smiling.

Can't we all just get along?

No. Hate is all we know.

Spiffness posted:

Getting smoked by a gold wing by every benchmark doesn't mean you're slow

Watching my friend's dad take to the twisties in his mid-sized sedan Goldwing is a site to behold.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Marv Hushman posted:

Strangely, four of these have gone up for sale on CL-Metro Detroit in the last hour and 15 minutes. Now that's some serious influence...

"Started out on Can-Am. Ready to move up to Ninja 600. 20kOBO No low ballers."

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I enjoy making fun of a wide variety of two and three-wheeled forms of transportation. Harley and Can-Am are just easy. Hayabusas fit in there too.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

You have to be able to wheelie a spyder. Someone has to have at some time.

I demand evidence

Sorry :(

quote:

However, no matter how hard you accelerate, it will not wheelie because of the weight over the front – just another non-motorcycle trait.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle/motoring/can-am-spyder-no-motorcycle/story-e6frer6x-1111116487901

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 13, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Bloody Queef posted:

Considering all the hate for trikes in general and the CanAm Spyder specifically:
Does the CA Hive Mind also despise sidecar rigs?
If so gently caress you. They're awesome.

Sidecars are awesome because you can put a dog with goggles in one or go on awesome adventures and kill NAZIs.
See:

and

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Xovaan posted:

I'm more concerned over the universal problem of people dropping "-ly" at the ends of words.

It's not "he is doing awesome" unless he's a superhero. It's "he is doing awesomely", you cretins!

Of course I'm terrible at grammar in general but it doesn't stop me from trying, damnit!

Dammit :eng101:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Only way he can get a knee down.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Safetyland posted:

Your full face helmet will break your neck in a crash!

Gonna die in a crash anyway. Might as well make it quick :shepface:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I bought a pack of of metric bolts, nuts and washers to replace any stripped screws. They're all hex head from 7-11mm. Good investment IMO.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Where the hell you getting 7 and 11mm bolts and what the hell you putting them in?

Any local bike shop I've been to. They have little plastic boxes of nuts, bolts and washers, sold in metric and standard. As expected, it's more expensive than going to the hardware store and buying the same stuff, but it's really convenient having everything right there.
I use them to replace the lovely, soft screws that hold the plastics as they, inevitably, become rounded.
All the ones I've used so far are 7mm. I throw a 7mm socket in my tool bag if I need to adjust or remove anything away from my garage.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I can see how what I said was confusing considering I was using the incorrect terminology.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Had a guy asking about my bike last night while the ferry was docking. He was interested in the front fairing and lights.
"I was looking at it. That's a crazy front end. I'm used to cruisers. Are the lights those flashing ones?"
"No they're standard, I get a lot of people telling me I have a light out though. One of them is a headlight and the other is the brights."
"Ah, I hate those flashing ones. What's the point to em?"
"Pretty sure they're aftermarket lights. I think the idea is to increase drivers awareness of the bike. Safety thing."
"It's dumb. I've always been a 'loud pipes save lives' guy, myself."
He was a nice guy, I just found it interesting that he was so annoyed by one thing that's really not that annoying while believing in something really annoying.

clutchpuck posted:

I am not the internet tough guy taking about thanking God for somebody hopefully getting killed and being tempted to murder people over something that is annoying, at worst.

Chill, indeed. I guess this is the right thread.

:reject:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
How is he hitting the cords after 5,000 miles? :psyduck:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

*Pulled over by cop who isn't a douchebag*
*Let off with verbal*
*Freaks out*
Nice

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There are assholes in every job circle. Police are just always in the public eye.
The one time I've been pulled over on my bike, the cop had been following me for a couple miles since I'd gotten off the ferry. I was doing 5-10 over the entire time, but he was cool about it. It probably helped that he was also a biker, I was ATGATT with a reflective vest and not riding like a dick.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I leave the hi-beam off, they tell me I have a headlight out. I have the hi-beam on, they flash me. No winning with some poeple.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I wonder if any deer have seen Torque.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

nsaP posted:

I'm no harley guy but it looks like an xr1200 to me.

The rear doesn't look high enough. Seat looks different too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I stopped off at Lowes to get some chain lube on the way to my friend's place on Saturday. There were a couple bikes in the lot, so I parked next to them. When I got back out, they were gearing up putting on their helmets (shorts, t-shirt and sneakers should be plenty protection for the rest, right?).
Now, people often ask what kind of bike I have. Not a big thing. I don't expect people to recognize it, and it's not a cruiser that everyone assumes is a Harley. Having said that, I figure a couple of guys riding sport bikes can at least assume that the giant "YAMAHA" sticker on the windscreen and the "FZ6" on the front fairing means that it's a Yamaha FZ6.
"Yo, bro, what kind of bike is that?"
"Yamaha FZ6. It's basically an R6 tuned for midrange and more comfortable ergos."
"Can you bring the front wheel up?"
"Uh, technically you can, but it's not really meant for it. There isn't a lot of low end power, either."
He was trying to ask me something else, but they'd turned their bikes on and I couldn't hear what he was asking, so I just nodded, smiled and put my helmet on.
They made their way through the parking lot and proceeded to burnout as they pulled onto the main road. Now, they didn't really say anything stupid. I think it was kind of silly asking a guy in full riding gear and a Nolan helmet if his bike could wheelie, but these guys were squid personified.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 27, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
E/N does :v:

:smith:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
But it's so entertaining when you have threads like this one!

In other news, here's some stupid motorcycle poo poo: Cycleworld lists the new Honda NC700X as the 2012 Standard of the year.

quote:

We’ve picked everything from the Suzuki DR-Z400SM to the Triumph Tiger 1050 for this category in the last five years, so don’t even try to talk us down from this year’s winner, Honda’s new-world NC700X. Even if our highly experienced Eurospondent, Bruno dePrato, hadn’t given the NC a rave review, this interesting, original, approachable and affordable machine takes us back to a time when those qualities helped Honda take the world by storm. What’s not to like about scooter-style storage and great gas mileage in an adventurous-looking package that goes and handles, if not like a sportbike, at least like a sporty bike? For a starting price of $6999 or $8999 with auto-shift DCT and ABS? Maybe austerity won’t be so bad.
The Aprilia 850 Mana has a storage compartment and autoshift. Has for years. I'm not seeing what's so drat innovative about this bike. I've never seen an autoshift system really take off. Do they suddenly think that it will because Honda does it? There are so many other bikes I'd buy in that price range.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yeah, it's a CVT system:

Aprilia posted:

Intelligent transmission

The primary drive is the focal point of the entire Mana range. The Sportgear transmission offers the rider a choice of different driving modes:

-Sequential mode: The rider decides when to change gear by using the conventional control on the pedal or by pressing a switch on the handlebars as desired. An electronically-controlled servo mechanism acts on the main pulley which changes the gearshift mode with seven gear ratios amazingly quickly. Only during deceleration, if the rider does not manually change gear, the engine automatically changes down gear using the Semi-Sequential function and preventing the minimum RPM threshold from going below the set limit. Another valuable aid to safe riding.

-Fully automatic mode (Autodrive): the sophisticated electronics control everything and the CVT transmission keeps the engine running at maximum torque speed for optimum pick-up and acceleration. The rider can choose from three different mappings:
1.Touring: for those who want a softer power delivery and minimum fuel consumption;
2.Sport: for maximum performance and quick acceleration;
3.Rain: on wet or slippery roads in maximum safety;
Semi-Autodrive mode only allows the rider to change down gear. This is useful for overtaking at maximum torque revs or when riding down a hill when engine braking is required.

You can switch from Autodrive to Sequential mode and vice versa at any time and in any riding conditions. The handlebar gearshift control can be disabled from the instrument panel.

With this technical solution, the Mana GT 850 adapts perfectly to any type of road and offers relaxed cruising or exhilarating sports riding depending on the rider's needs or wishes

As for the NC700X, it's got a DCT:

Honda posted:

...It’s even available in two versions: one model features a conventional six-speed, manual-clutch transmission, while a second version is available with the latest generation of Honda’s exclusive automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT). Plus, the DCT version comes with Honda’s revolutionary Combined ABS!

Optional Automatic Dual-Clutch Transmission (DCT)
Shift with the push of a handlebar-mounted button, or select the NC700X's automatic mode and the bike will shift itself. DCT has been a huge hit on our other models, and once you ride an NC700X with DCT, you'll see why.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
No, you see, a small subset of people they know only had crashes in a certain series of events. It logically follows that those are the only things that can happen to them. By removing variables, they are making it impossible for them to crash.

clutchpuck posted:

Can we rename this thread to "complaining about what other riders do"? There must be a point where even CA goons get tired of reading the same "so and so didn't wear gear how crazy is that".

There are only so many motorcycle related topics people can say stupid things about. Having said that, there's a huge difference between "Bob doesn't ride with full leathers," and "These morons get drunk and ride around because a couple people they know crashed and either weren't the cause or were sober."

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 10, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Rush hour on a Friday on the Seattle waterfront. It's sunny, so there are tourists everywhere. The ferries are unloading, so there are cars and pedestrians jamming the streets. I'm behind someone on an R-6. He decides that these are the perfect conditions to pop a wheelie and tear down the street. As this is happening, a car is pulling out from a street parking spot. The R-6 barely comes down and misses the car. This idiot was inches away from flying.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I filter when cagers are being morons (always) and blocking an intersection. Sometimes I'll act like a cyclist and work my way to the front. I've only jumped on the curb twice, though.

E: VVVV I've had that happen a few times. I've had a BMW and a couple Honda Civic clown cars (the muffler tip makes it faster!) try and race me off the line. Luckily, the road I filter on has a bus lane, and there's almost always plenty of space after a red.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 25, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This would vary by city, I think, but in Seattle as many bikes can share a metered spot as can fit. At least for actual coin-op old-school parking meters, which we have very few of anymore.

Seattle now is mostly ticket-based, so you go up to the pay station for that block, put in the amount of time you want/money you want to get rid of, and print off a sticker that you must put on your headlight. In these areas (everywhere), two motorcycles must both pay. Which means me and a friend on our scooters pay twice what some rear end in a top hat in a Suburban has to pay.

I guess it's a difference between paying for the space and paying to park a vehicle.

I see motorcycles parked off Alaskan without stickers all the time but never notice any with tickets. I'm too afraid to try it with my luck.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Was stuck behind two HDs leaving the ferry the other day: ridiculously loud pipes; AC/DC blairing from the speakers; constantly reving the engine at stops; burning oil. I wanted to pull up and give them my condolensces on their ED and/or penis size.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Under the viaduct? There's a few areas down there that are sort of no-man's lands, that I think aren't clearly defined as street/lot/parking/whatever that you can get away with parking on. There's a few around.

Yeah, under it, across from the ferry terminal and a bit north (i.e. where yocan still park). I'll see bikes clustered together.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Was adjusting my chain yesterday while waiting for the ferry and another biker came up to me. "What're you doing?"
"Oh, I'm adjusting my chain. It needs to be tightened a little."
"How do you do that?"
Rather than just :stonk: at him, I showed him where the nuts where (heh) on my bike along with how to adjust it. He rode a DRZ. I'd like to think I got him to at least open the manual and look it up.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Halo_4am posted:

Buying a motorcycle for status and to ride only in perfect weather 3 days a year is stupid in and of itself. Renting is cheaper and less maintenance, but payments on an unused machine earns you bragging rights to all kinds of people sure to be unimpressed.

I laugh every time I see a CL add that says the bike's "never been ridden in the rain." I guess that explains why that 2005 has 2,000 miles on it. You bought a bike in Seattle... why?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Helmets not saving your life at 80+? I think there are some Moto GP guys who could set you straight on that.

Harley outlasting a Jap bike? The bike that is properly maintained will last longer.

You're going to have an accident no matter what, and it's almost always the drivers fault? Statistics clearly show that most motorcycle related accidents don't involve another vehicle and are the rider's fault. It's a dumb mindset to ride around expecting a crash. Ride to prevent one, not expecting one.

Women who like cars & bikes are "vapid"? Is it because they have vaginas and don't actually understand bikes like Real MenTM? Why can women not like motorcycles without being dumb hoores? Is my girlfriend vapid because she likes my bike? Way to perpetuate gender stereotypes.

Motorcycle gangs most certainly exist. There's even a chapter of the Banditos in my home town, and they don't just get together ti talk about chrome & the game at the local watering hole.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

ThatCguy posted:

Dude, put it back in your pants. Dude with 40+ years of riding experience tosses up a fairly innocuous post. You don't need to reddit-nerd rage it up in here.

I know right? Stupid misconceptions sure count as "experience".

• Locked thread