Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
so i've just finished re-reading the hyperion cantos, and dont like the second two books as much as i did reading them a couple years ago but the first two books are solid

should i now read the revelation space series, handmaid's tale or a banks that isn't use of weapons or player of games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

hubris.height posted:

altered carbon is currently in my maybelist. in the 'should prolly read' list are the road, the dispossessed, handmaid's tale, book of the new sun, and snow crash. the rest of the poo poo i wanna read is non-fuction

i just finished handmaid's tale on the recommendation of the thread. it was really good as a thought experiment but atwood never seems to make anything exciting. i read oryx and crake before and had the same reaction after finishing.

i still advise reading it but dont expect to be entertained by it

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

FMguru posted:

agreed. handmaids tale really could have benefited from some explosions, maybe a chase through a crowded metropolis on flying motorcycles, and a wisecracking alien or maybe robot sidekick.

oh and a ninja attack

yup cause thats totally what i said

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

FMguru posted:

then lets hear your ideas about how add excitement to handmaids tail. maybe the main character has an identical twin she doesnt know about who is also a serial killer and the main character has until midnight before her twin kills again? would that make it exciting enough for you?

e: also add in wookies and jedis

holy poo poo you sure are mad about a book i said was really good

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

gettin mad about sci fi up in here i should go to bed

gently caress damon lindelof

youre right to be mad about how lovely lost ended up. all sorts of cock teasing with interesting scifi stuff that never got explained and was hand waved away at the end by going "it was about the characters" when the they were the worst part of the show.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

MindSet posted:

My new job has a gym so after work im gonna be gettin swole. but weightlifting is boring so what are some yospos approved scifi audiobooks? last thing i had time to read (i have to read like 1000+ pgs a month for school so i havent had time to read for fun :smith:) was startide rising and a couple culture books and i highly enjoyed them.

the old mans war trilogy i finished recently was decent and well narrated

the forever war is amazing and should be required reading for the thread

most of the china mieville stuff is decent too, the bas-lag trilogy has some dumb steampunk stuff but the underlying stories are amusing and again i liked the narrator. kraken was particularly good and i liked embassytown for as odd as it was

only book i advise not going audio would be anathem. the first couple hours would probably be weird with all the made up words

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

MindSet posted:

oh yeah does audible care if you share your acct? im thinking of splitting a 2 book/mo acct w/the gf

i mean other than it being annoying if you both read the same book @ once

i think you can just download the audio files. dont know if thats how it is any more but thats what it was when i bought stuff from them a few years ago.

hell, one of the books i have from them is setup like tapes, separated into 45 minute files and still has the "please flip sides/insert tape 4" audio

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

substitute with "any character on voyager"

the character who had the most development left in the most comically stupid way and came back seasons later for 1 episode where they were literally a raging god that was angry for uh

some reason that was never explained

youre forgetting 7 of 9, whos character went from "assimilate" to "you humans are dumb"

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
a well known programmer claims that his computer is infected by a virus that allows it to communicate over an airgap. he is later succesfully treated for his paranoid delusions.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

some part of it needed to be fiction

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
you should dump her and find a waifu who can enjoy quality scifi like lexx or earth 2. or be happy that the wants to watch chick-fi with you rather than the kardashians or poo poo as such.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Earthsea might be my next book then. i keep meaning to read some of her books and i grab my most of my choices from this thread cause im lazy and it hasnt done me wrong yet

reading canticle for leibowitz right now, only at part 2 but its definitely interesting

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 28, 2013

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
ya im cool with YA books so long as theyre well written. ive been reading lots of real literature recently anyway and could do some lighter reading

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
i know were all upset fishmech isnt here for this chat but everyone trying to make up for it just isnt the same. thanks for the try

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
for some reason i was thinking of the majestic, that poo poo movie with jim carrey, and was wondering why you were all loving it.

but yeah, the prestige is good poo poo

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

ol qwerty bastard posted:

finally figured out where i know that one guy in almost human from; he was in pirates of the caribbean

i thought it was this guy http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Qualls doing a horrible english accent

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Can-O-Raid posted:

yeah dude you got hosed, even i didnt check out terra nova and i was the guy who watched not one but two episodes of loving defiance

i've watched all of defiance so far. i really wanted it to be decent. i knew it wasnt going to be but there wasnt poo poo for scifi on at the time and i needed a fix.

Monkeyseesaw posted:

i really liked anathem and unlike the rest of the 'pos had a great time with the baroque cycle

i'm real wary of reamde though :ohdear:

dont do it unless you want to read a 300 page sales pitch for an MMO hacked together with a tom clancy ripoff including the brown people hatred.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Can-O-Raid posted:

it hasnt been canceled yet? :psyduck:

season 2 in production as i type.

so i finished canticle for liebowicz the other day. completely get why its on the yos reading list. it hits all the good scifi/spec fic concepts without being dragged down by the author trying to go too far with the ideas. really wish i knew latin better though. might go back and translate those passages.

a decent bit into the first book of earthsea right now too. holy poo poo is this what the magicians and that rothfuss series wishes it could be. concise yet descriptive enough that the story just works. i can get trying to rip it off tho

on the fantasy topic, does anyone know who or where the concept of things having true names for magic? its a pretty common theme in fantasy books but tolkien is probably the oldest i know of. is there an earlier example?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
i figured it was an ancient concept but ive never read anything past the greeks.

not to get LF as gently caress and try to call religious texts scifi but ive been thinking about reading the lot of them just as literature. im agnostic by way of parents who didnt give a gently caress either and figure i should probably do it sometime in my life so i can kick rear end on jeopardy if need be

edit: gently caress trying to spell jeopardy

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 11, 2013

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Carthag posted:

handmaids tale was good but ended kinda abruptly

ya, the epilogue is good tho. atwood's books are written more like a historical documentary than fiction so i can see why she does it.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Hashtag Nascar posted:

I have a long train journey and need a book to read, any reccomendations? I'm thinking of reading the diamond age.

diamond age is decent but expect the typical stephenson ending where its rushed and makes little sense.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Smythe posted:

i loving love power armor.

im with you smythe. i dont care about how impractical it is. same with giant mechs

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
star trek almost doesnt belong on there since 4 is the best. if your adding in the tng and jj movies then yeah its basically a huge slide from 6 down

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
gently caress Red Mars is good, kinda mad i havent read this before. are Blue Mars and Green Mars as good?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
finished red mars earlier. im already basically arkady in political views so it wasn't revolutionary in ideas that way but gently caress if the first half wasn't some of the most interesting and enjoyable hard scifi ive ever read. the second half with john's story and all the poo poo going down are probably exactly what would happen too.

5/5 would read again

on green mars now

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

too bad the book is trash

the 200 page MMO brainstorm would have been jerkoff time for my 16yo self and part of the time where thier in China (i think, been a while since I read it) was at least mildly amusing but then he had to go and turn it into "Midwest conservative gun loving family saves the US from brown people" including the most boring of all Stephenson endings, maybe because he actually wrapped it up in more than 10 pages

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Metal Pink Babble posted:

I just labored through the Godfather trilogy, and I now understand the pizza box server analogy + possess a pizza-cutting katana. by me, age sanjuu

i know you are pain, dude who i barely understand most times

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
goddamn do i want to go to mars or anywhere in space. i know i have no real skills needed for space travel and colonization other than being a mechanic but gently caress this gay earth

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

coffeetable posted:

enjoy your cancer

like you don't have a damned good chance of that already. lol if you wouldn't be one of the first people on mars cause you might die 10 years earlier. if i could step foot on mars, gently caress around for a day or two and then keel over, psure id be ok with that.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 27, 2013

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

dur posted:

yeah it's basically my favorite series of books ever. everyone please read all three of them.

just finished green mars like 5 minutes ago. definitely not as good as red but still solid. got blue ready to start in the morning.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

that's some fuckin shameful poo poo

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i havent seen startrak 4 the voyager home

hence the mocking

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
you really should watch it though. 2,3,4 and 6 are good. 1 is really fuckin weird and 5 is just bad, so bad i don't even remember what it's about. i haven't seen it since i was a little kid and it was in the theater

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

dur posted:

spocks half-brother hijacks the enterprise and takes it to the center of the galaxy to meet god. but what does god need with a starship? hmmmmmmmmm?????

it's bad.

yup, still dont remember. i know i've seen it, must have just repressed the memory.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Quine Connoisseur posted:

spock climbs a mountain with space boots

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. ITS ALL COMING BACK!!!!!

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Shaggar posted:

star trek VI is the best trek movie

it's weird to see you have right opinions

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
jj2 might be a decent movie when your comparing it to nemesis

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

ol qwerty bastard posted:

v'ger is one of the more alien aliens of any sci-fi movie

which i guess is ironic considering its origin

that movie had cool ideas it was boring as gently caress tho

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

also vi is arguably better than any of the individual genesis trilogy movies but is not as good as the overall genesis story

yeah i can dig this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

syscall girl posted:

i still say a lot of iain m banks' stuff is action packed, not all of it by a long stretch but even the end of consider phlebas was like mission impossible/die hard levels of splosions and all around violence

and against a dark background was pretty much all action

they could probably pull off player of games easily

• Locked thread