Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

juggalo baby coffin posted:

will dusk ever come out?

They're saying it should hit before the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Something I never realized until watching a random youtube video a few days ago, was that Digital Extremes did most of the work on UT2k3 apparently. Epic was busy with the Unreal Engine, and Unreal 2. Did Epic take back the reigns from DE for UT2k4? Or was DE still the main studio on that as well?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I never played UT2K3, but I've heard, time and time again, about how horrible it was. What was the big problem? How could there be such a dip in quality from UT99 - UT2K4?

I played the poo poo out of 99, but I'd choose 2K4 over it any day. Whatever was lost I didn't miss, and I absolutely love everything that was added. :colbert:

Ut2k3 was a good game at it's core, but launched with a serious lack of maps, and didn't have Assault mode which was hugely popular in UT99 online play. Also, the system requirements were seriously beefy back in the day; like "I need to build a new PC to play this game" stuff.

Ut2k3 got a few official map-packs like UT99 did that took care of the maps problem, and by the time UT2k4 came out the system requirements weren't as big of a deal.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Glagha posted:

Yeah I was under the impression it was because UT2k3 was just fine but had issues and 2k4 came out very soon after and was just better and why would you play 2k3

Yeah, pretty much. IIRC 2k4 came out barely 12 months after 2k3 and contained so much more content.

E: Also I remember Onslaught mode being hailed as the second coming of christ with people on multiple forums everywhere talking about how good it was.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I absolutely hated Onslaught, and personally never understood why the community loved it so much. The whole mix of huge maps and vehicle based gameplay just felt so off in a game like UT.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MariusLecter posted:

Was UT2k3 the one with the opening cinematic showing the UT99 veterans being classy and shsit while the new tournament fighters were literal psychotic punks on meth with Malcolm just shaking his head at them? That was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b18Va6bl1Q4

End says Ut2k4, but that's actually the ut2k3 intro sequence.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Pope Guilty posted:

If memory serves UT 2K3 was so reviled that Epic ran a tradein program that gave a discount on copies of 2K4 to 2K3 owners.

I think it was more that the community was upset that another game was coming out so soon after UT2k3. I remember the official forums being all hurt about it (until they played the demo and fell in love).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

skasion posted:

Weapon limits is because there’s no great way to handle a ten weapon arsenal in a console shooter. There still isn’t so I think it’s a defensible design choice under that circumstance.

My dude never heard of the weapon wheel I see.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

skasion posted:

Weapon wheels are ok as a makeshift, but you’re not going to convince me they’re as good as a numrow, sorry.

It doesn't have to be as good, just good enough.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

People on consoles never played any Quake, Battlefield or UT games

Consoles have been the most popular platform for BF since probably BC2.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Back home from Xmas vacation and I saw that Steam downloaded EP2 of Dusk :getin: Can't wait to play that poo poo after work today.

Also I kinda hope DUSKWORLD stays populated because I would kinda like an oldschool HUP HUP deathmatch game I can play.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
The difficulty in Dusk seemed to jump quite a bit between Episode 1 and 2. Never really had a problem in EP1 but EP2 it seems like I'm constantly low on health.

I think I'm gonna go play more Dusk now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ChickenHeart posted:

I also gotta say Andrew Hulshult really hit it out of the park with regards to the music, especially when you compare it with his previous work in the ROTT remake (which was fine, if buttrock-ish and not all that memorable).

Never played the ROTT remake but yeah, the music in Dusk is great. Defintely fits the whole "mood" of the game. Actually, the sound itself is just great in general.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Boy Wunder posted:

Maybe I'm just really dumb but I can't get the 'Climb the Walls' powerup in Dusk Episode 2 to work. I pick it up, run to a wall, and hold shift (the jump key) like it says but nothing happens. I watched a YouTube video and it looks pretty basic so I'm wondering if it's a bug that I'm encountering. Anyone else had a problem with it?

It's a little touchy. The best way I've gotten it to work is to run and jump on the wall while holding shift. That seems to make you "stick" better as opposed to just running upto the wall and holding shift.

I think if you just run upto a wall and hold shift it tends to "stick" you to the ground instead of the wall, so running and jumping into the wall gets rid of that problem.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I went back and played episode one of Dusk after I beat episode two when it was released on Christmas. The jump in quality and interesting map design between Episode one and two is pretty insane. Episode one is no slouch, but EP2 is just :holymoley:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ahahaha yessss :getin:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Convex posted:

Anyone here playing Unreal Tournament 2004 on Windows 10? I found a cool widescreen HUD and weapons fix the other day (here, use the mediafire link) and got everything set up just fine, but for some reason it keeps randomly stuttering even though I get a locked 60FPS. I've tried pretty much everything, including all kinds of different vsync settings in the drivers, but just can't figure out why it keeps happening.

If anyone else ran into this problem and managed to fix it please let me know :(

You don't happen to be running an AMD card, would you? AMD broke a lot of directx9 and earlier based games with some of their recent drivers. I played C&C3: Tiberium Wars a few weeks ago and all the Tiberium was purple :allears:

The latest beta drivers from AMD fixes most of the problems with DX9 and below games.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, the combine were a great enemy because they seemed almost limitless in the amount of weird and horrifying tech they had access too. It's one of the big reasons why I'm bummed about what's going on with the half life universe.

They really instilled a notion that the combine were far more vast and far reaching than you could even comprehend.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Augus posted:

it's a video game

Yeah but that's no fun.

The scientist who let's you into the freezer comments that you would be dead without the hazard suit I'm pretty sure (but also that allows both the scis and military to track your movement throughout black Mesa).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The tram ride at the beginning of HL1, while long, really helped set the stage and atmosphere of 'You are just heading on in to work'.

I'm trying to think of anything else that I really had to wait for in the game, after the resonance cascade incident. Uhh.... the laser in the hallway? I feel like the rest of HL1 is at the player's pace.

Right before you head into Xen.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Kins posted:

Amid Evil still exists and I guess it has a horde mode now? Its HUD font is still roughly the size of a house, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJcMKd6prBY

Pretty sure that's what they're putting out on early access.

Also, "still exists" is kinda weird because the Amid Evil / New Blood twitters are insanely active.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I remember the last half of Bioshock Infinite being a real slog for some reason; I think it was because of the level design. At some point it feels like it just devolves into a "enter an area and have 50 dudes attack you, rinse, repeat" cycle that I found really unpleasant to play through.

I actually really like Bioshock 1 for the most part and replayed it ~2 years ago, so I'm defintely not a Bioshock hater. Still haven't gotten around to playing Bioshock 2...but I feel like after playing Prey, why even bother?

E: I should clarify the "new" Prey released by Arkane/Bethesda from last year.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

!Klams posted:

I loved the level design in Rise of the Triad. You instinctively picked your way through really really weirdly laid out levels. It was like it followed dream logic, where you kinda knew what was going on but you wouldn't really be able to explain it. I think probably lots (most?) of fps games back then were like this, but for some reason RotT really sticks out in my memory as being this hellscape of twisted metal, rock and blood with bizarrely narrow corridors sitting secretly above needlessly huge hallways and also in the walls.

This honestly sounds right up my loving alley...I've never played ROTT, is it considered a ~good~ game?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So, how is Amid Evil? I recently moved and am waiting for Ryzen 2 to release in a month or two so I can build a new PC, so I can't find out for myself :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

wafflemoose posted:

Really digging DUSK. Episode One was good but Two has blown me away, I missed the days of FPSes having trippy levels and DUSK delivers on that front.

Which FPS game had the trippiest levels?

Yeah I really liked how the levels towards the end of DUSK got weird. I really hope they just go all in on that poo poo for episode 3.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

DoombatINC posted:

Damage Inc is just screaming for a remake.

If you've never played Damage Inc, picture this: One set of missions involves you taking back an IRS building from the Minutemen, a radical anti-government militia that wants to blow up the fed and thus destroy taxes forever. They stormed the building with a bunch of AR-15s, took the staff hostage and set up fertilizer bombs, and now your squad needs to resolve the situation. For this mission, you get two soldiers watching your back - I like to go with Preacher (a black preacher whose church was burnt down by bigots) and Vidiot (a videogame addict with clear mental health problems). You can normally have up to three squadmates of your choosing, but for this mission you're assigned a freelance hacker to defuse the bomb (who also happens to hate the military and constantly calls you and your men monstrous baby killers, and will often refuse to return gunfire out of principle).

Through the entire game your enemies are all racists and sovereign citizens and tea party gun nuts, and in the end the wave of right-wing violence is found to have been supported by a european fascist organization called A Better Tomorrow. It's the most 2018 game that's ever been made, and it came out over two decades ago.

drat this sounds loving awesome!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I'm enjoying Amid Evil a lot. Probably because I never played Hexen/Herectic, but I really enjoy the setting. Combat feels pretty good too, and I'm digging the level design.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I downloaded Adventures of Square, and it's kicking my rear end far more than I'm used too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

catlord posted:

I've heard people say that the multiplayer for DNF was good (a bit old-school?), but cheating was/is rampant. I wouldn't know, the only multiplayer game worth anything is Ricochet.

I fall spinning, screaming into the void

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

DatonKallandor posted:

Call of Duty is all hitscan. Battlefield was simulated bullets the whole time at least until Battlefield 4 (I haven't played the later ones). Basically if a modern shooter developer is lazy, it'll have hitscan weapons. Usually with slow tracers to make it look like the guns are not hitscan, which really screws with player expectation - the visuals will have a travel time, but the damage will not. It's especially bad for multiplayer games, where we've gone from essentially all skill based projectiles to all "put crosshair on enemy to hit".

Hitscan used to be reserved for very special weapons - for example Tribes 2's only hitscan weapon was a laser sniper rifle with huge downsides because not having to lead was such an advantage.

I don't think it has anything to do with the developers being lazy; it's a conscious design choice.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Are there any downsides to getting the HD remakes of Serious Sam 1 & 2 on Steam instead of the originals? Are those good versions to get?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I've been going back and playing games I never got a chance to "back in the day". Next up is Serious Sam: TFE (HD version).

The combat encounters and arenas they throw you into are....almost incredibly low effort in a hilarious way. I appreciate that the devs seem to know what they were making, and just said gently caress it. Some of the battles are pretty tough, and I can see how it could get brutal further into the game.

AHHHHHHHHHHH....yourself

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Played thourgh the Serious Sam game more. I didn't like TFE's last quarter as much, but Second Enounter was just really fun with a lot of soul and good levels. Also BFE isn't that bad really, though the levels get a hell of a lot longer in the second half.

I'm playing through TFE right now for the first time, and I've found that I can only tolerate the game for a level or two at a time.

Got up to the Sewers before I called it quits for today.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I mostly enjoyed Xen. Of course, I initially played Half-Life right after it was released (long before the internet was an "every hour" kind of fixture of my household), so I didn't realize Xen's negative reputation until long after I had beaten the game for the first time.

It seemed to be a nice contrast to the (then novel) realistic, contiguous laboratories and government facilities that comprise the first 2/3rds of the game--the gargantuan glowing "bacteria" in the skybox and strange creatures swirling around floating islands, the healing pools and distant chirps and howls. I also liked how the remains of previous scientific expeditions--fighter jets and dead researchers--dotted the landscape, like little bits of familiarity anchoring an otherwise wholly alien environment. It was also cool how previously unseen flora and fauna, like the shy "light plants" and murderous pecking trunks, made the place feel somehow both lonely and rife with alien scum.

Mechanically, I'd agree with criticism that Xen didn't really play to the strengths of the game. But what Xen was ended up being enjoyable enough, nonetheless, for me to forgive it for that.

This is pretty much exactly my thoughts as well. Although, I'm pretty sure the only signs of other humans on Xen while you're actually playing are just dead dudes in HEV suits. The destroyed fighter jets and tanks are only seen during the Gmans ending monologue.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Hell yeah, Xen has badass skybox art. Interested to see what the Black Mesa team does with it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just waiting for DUSK Episode 3 at this point. From the screenshots they've shown, it looks like they're getting real weird with it :getin:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I know TF2 isn’t exactly as old as typical FPS games but it over ten at this point and in video game terms that’s pretty much ancient. I recently got back into it and despite everyone giving it poo poo because hats it’s still so much better designed then Overwatch. The movement feels better, the guns feel better, there’s no bullshit stuns or movement locks on like every god drat character to deal with. I also don’t have to worry about a balance tweak completely dumpstering an entire class that makes them pointless to play like Overwatch too. I just hate they made a party matchmaking system instead of letting you simply join and leave servers at your choosing and if they ever make a TF3 I hope they don’t chase the Overwatch design of “make every class/character unfun as hell to play against”

For all the poo poo TF2 got about hats, they never ruined the actual game mechanics and TF2 has always felt great to play.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I have this idea now, as a finalized Black Mesa approaches, that I'm going to play through Black Mesa, Half-Life 2, and Episodes 1 & 2 in one big binge. Is anybody else planning to do this?

I did this last year (haven't played EP1 + 2 since 2007) last year, and burned out near the middle of EP2. Haven't gone back and finished it yet.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

haveblue posted:

If you never beat episode 2 it's worth going back and doing so, the final encounter is very different from anything else in the series (plus you'll get to witness the cliffhanger that has inspired more than a decade of resentment).

IIRC Ep2 did a way better job than 1 (or the base game for that matter) of introducing new things or changing up what you were doing at a decent pace, nothing really outstayed its welcome or involved long periods of downtime or repetition.

Perhaps I wasn't clear; HL and HL2 are two of my favorite games ever, and I have indeed beaten EP1 and EP2 before. Last year I got on the Black Mesa>HL2>EP1>EP2 kick, but just kinda sputtered out in the middle of EP2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Bethesda has moved towards a "announce and release 6 months later" not "announce and release 2 years later" so the fact that we might get Rage 2 this fall is pretty cool.

Never played the first one, but I'll probably pick it up if it's pretty cheap on Steam and give it a shot.