Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

My hot take is that Doom and Doom 2 are middling games but their legacy and the tools left behind raise them to greater heights than any successor.

I wasn't fond of Doom and Doom 2 when they were released. I could tell that the tech was great but I felt other games like System Shock were taking that first person run around game play and doing something interesting with it.

At this point with over a decade of FPS that I've hated, I'm much happier with the games.

I still don't like Quake, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

manero posted:

I'm pretty sure I never beat it, but I played it soooo much. Completely unforgiving.

Warping ahead to 2003 brings us Hidden & Dangerous 2 which felt way more polished, and looked nicer to boot:

I think I have both games on CD somewhere, but it also looks like both are actually on Steam.

I've got an unopened copy of Hidden and Dangerous with a .99 price tag on it that I bought back when it was a new game. Perhaps someday I'll play it...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

verbal enema posted:

I remember when Dad brought home Half Life :unsmith:

I went into GameStop and when I went up to the counter to ask for Half-Life, the UPS guy walked in and they popped open the case. "I'll take one of those."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah, Chip's Challenge

Chip's was an Epyx game that Microsoft licensed, so not one of theirs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I have the Hexen 2 mission pack box around here somewhere - I brought it, for uh, reasons

(listen I was 15 years old ok)

I've owned that for twenty-five years and always thought it was a dragon... In my defense it's a lot smaller on the jewel case and why would you look that closely?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

I'm as awful at it as I was back in 1998. Worse, even.

Remember that Q2 seemed really modern because it had mouselook at default while the shareware version of Q1 needed a console 'mouselook=1' command iirc. I had to put it in at every single computer in my IT class so that me and my friends could play deathmatch.

I remember people online going, "You really need to use this console command, it's so much better!" And it was.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade or make unreasonable demands, so I'll just be sitting over here waiting patiently for Outlaws.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I spent countless hours combing the World Wide Web for UT'99 content. When you're on dial-up and every 4 MB custom model or skin takes 10-15 minutes to download, you cherish them!

The most brilliant thing about UT99 mods is that they provided an installation wrapper for them. Even as someone who didn't have any trouble installing Quake mods where you had to put all the files in the right places and then run the game with a special command line, I loved that you could just have the file type associated with UT, double click on the mod you downloaded, and get it installed in seconds.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Convex posted:

edit: might as well put something here too

Well, that's better than Ideas from the Deep. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If anyone doesn't have Quake II or Deadlink on Steam, here you go:

777W9-8EFQX-5RWNL
E4ZRJ-2JRJB-HJ9DM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I fixed Joe Liberman's e-mail once and I feel like I might have made the world a little better place by breaking it again afterward.