Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I jumped back into Quake because of the remaster and I've just made it to episode 4.

1) I completely forgot just how good the music is.
2) Playing Quake is about 10x more stressful than Doom. I can't really explain why, maybe it's due to all the trap spawns.
3) This 30-ish year old game is way more fun than most things released in the last 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I find Doom way more stressful in harder levels for some reason. Quake feels a lot easier to me.

Maybe I'm just a big baby and Quake spooks me.

On a side note, the item sound effects are iconic. I'm hard-pressed to think of another game where picking up ammo and health sounds so good.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Free if you already own DOOM/Quake on Steam or Bethesda or whatever. But for folks who own physical copies of DOOM/Quake for PC or past consoles the remasters were certainly not free, but compelling purchases none the less.

I don't know but I think the people who've got a copy from 1996 and demand a free remaster now are being a bit unreasonable. It's not just for Quake. Myst recently got a full remaster and the devs had to put a notification on the store page explaining how "no, you don't get this for free if you bought the game in 1993."

I never understood the mentality that if you bought the game once, that means you are now entitled to it in every form on every platform in perpetuity.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Vile Stuff posted:

Actually they should, just like how I have received Mad Max 2 on VHS, DVD, bluray and stream by providing proof of my cinema tickets.

They didn't give it to you on Betamax or UMD? What if you want to watch it on your PSP? Sounds like you should demand your money back.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Donut posted:

I've just completed Quake for the first time, thanks to the remaster. I bounced off the demo when it released, and I tried replaying it several times throughout the years but it just never clicked until now.

Are the mission packs worth playing through? I'm tempted to play them in order, but I've seen the comments about Dimensions of the Machine and I'm wondering if I should dive straight into it.

Probably save Dimension of the Machine for last as it will probably overshadow everything else. But they are all worth going through once.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Myst isn't a great example though because there's already two older versions on Steam in addition to the remake. So Cyan is taking the opposite approach of Betheda and instead of upgrading everyone who did buy one (or both?!) the older versions on Steam they're releasing yet another. Also the names of them are totally unhelpful.

I think there's still some fuzziness around expectations about how things should work in digital marketplaces, and we're just now reaching the point where Steam has been around long enough that games originally released on Steam are now seeing remakes also release on Steam.

Like, if I bought "Myst: Masterpiece Edition" on Steam when it was first listed ten years ago, I wouldn't necessarily expect a free update to the remake. But I would be pretty miffed if I bought the old Myst two weeks ago (it's still listed and still for sale) and the remake shadow drops two weeks later.

Fair enough, that's a good point. I suppose the way Quake was handled is probably one of the better ways where existing owners get the update for free but also retain access to the original version. An example of it being handled poorly is what Blizzard did with Warcraft 3, where they hosed up the remaster and also hosed up the original version for people who owned it previously.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

If some guy still has his 25 year old copy of the thing you made a new version of and he cares enough to want the new one, I dunno, maybe just fuckin give it to him. Put the PC version in his Steam, let him pay if he wants it on a console. How many of that guy are there? Still has it, and still gives a poo poo? Whatever just give it to him. You didn't make the new version for him, you made it for some kid.

He probably wasn't gonna buy it, and even if he was, there aren't that many of him. A lot of people don't hold on to media. And you get to be the good guy.

There's a difference between the developer choosing to do something like that, and having it be demanded as the norm. At least that's the point I was trying to make earlier.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

"demanded" alright guy, I get it

I didn't mean that you or anyone here was demanding it, but there are a bunch of others posting in various locations demanding that kind of stuff.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if we will see CTF or, god forbid, Team Fortress for the remake online? I know Team Fortress would probably need some kind of approval from Valve, but CTF should be doable?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Captain Rufus posted:

I paid 10 for Quake so I can play it on my Switch Lite and have two new campaigns. Performance with most everything on except for AA is ok with obvious slowdowns here and there.

The switch version actually has most of the graphical options that the PC version has, so you can turn off dynamic shadows and whatever else you feel like you won't miss in order to improve the framerate. You can also switch to "low resolution" mode, which makes the pixels extra chunky and basically looks like a 1996 mode or something.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rocket Pan posted:

Yes. I do the multiplayer stuff.

Do you know what's going on with System Shock? I don't mind that it's been delayed again to December 31st, I just hope development is still trucking along and all is well.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

does anyone else running freesync have noticeable frame issues in the quake remaster? i've tried changing the refresh rate in options to 120 and 165, but my monitor is 144 hz, and it seems like the game is capped at 60.

the game looks less smooth than other stuff on my pc, or even youtube videos of OG quake (i have to find all the secrets).

I'm running AMD and it does 144hz no problem. However, you aren't the first person to complain about this. I noticed in the steam forums for Quake that some other AMD users had the exact same issue as you. It works normally on my machine so the only help I can give is that there's probably some setting or configuration that you need to change.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

hmmm. i've confirmed that i have freesync turned on with both my monitor and video card. i'm running an older RX580 - i wonder if it's some kind of driver issue?

the game def runs at or above 120 fps on my laptop--where it looks smooth as butter.

This is a shot in the dark, but have you checked the resolution setting?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rocket Pan posted:

Don't ever start from level select, which was likely your mistake. You can only complete stuff by starting the traditional way.

Also did System Shock even have a release date or does everyone just assume it did?

Well when I pre-ordered it, the date was set for early June. When we got close to that, the date was changed to August 31st. On August 30th, it was changed again to December 31st. Maybe it's just a placeholder as you say, but I feel like they wouldn't be moving it around so much if it were.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rocket Pan posted:

Edit: Apparently these are dates that were sitting on the Steam and GOG page? I wouldn't take much stake in them, they are likely an artefact. When the System Shock team is ready, they'll announce an official release date.

Yes, that was it. Alright, good to know then. Other games without hard dates would normally have "coming soon" or "q4 2021" stuff like that. My favorite is the Dwarf Fortress's "release date".

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Scourge of Armagon is fine, but Dissolution of Eternity is clearly better. Fight me.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
What are the chances that games have just been reusing the enemy AI from Quake all these years and no one has noticed?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just got through Dimension of the Past. The whole episode is really well put together with a nice mix of interesting level design that includes a lot of simple but effective visual embellishments alongside the various encounters. The final level was really special for me. It wasn't particularly hard, but there was a wow-factor where I started making GBS threads myself when I realized it was a remake/expanded version of the Shub-Niggurath level. Really cool concept for an episode overall.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
As if you don't break out the huggies when it's time for Quake.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

If you haven't played Dimension of the Machine yet, you're in for a treat. There are a ton of new visual assets and some really interesting, sprawling level designs. They really went hard on it.

I keep thinking of Valheim and other games with an artiful, early 3D aesthetic. If you released Dimension of the Machine as a standalone game it'd easily be some sort of indie darling for 2021. It looks so good.

I've been saving that for last and just recently got the chance to hop into the first level and holy crap does it look stupidly good. I almost want a Quake reboot/sequel/whatever, but done in the original Quake engine or something to that effect. I've got the feeling that Id is probably going to do something with Quake in the near future and if they do, it's almost certainly going to be a showcase for their latest engine tech. But still, it would be super cool if they took a different direction with it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

If Thatcher's boss fight doesn't begin with some version of this quote I'll be very sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2koyUc-4MQ0

(For real though, I'm so hype)

As someone who doesn't live in Europe, it's always funny when the British talk as if they aren't in Europe.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

well, they're not anymore

I just checked the map, they are still there.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If you ever get interested in Hexen, just play Heretic instead.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Just finished Dimension of the Machine on switch and it's absolutely brilliant. Genuinely found Fading Embers breathtaking.

I would be very pleased with Machine Games taking on a Quake reboot after this.

I think I'm going to sort my pc out and get Arcane Dimensions on.

I just got around to finishing it as well and yep, it's a phenomenal end(?) to the Quake episodes. If Id doesn't greenlight a new Quake in the style of Quake 1 it would be a crying shame.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

Now that Quake 4 is on id/bethesda's hands since years we could get a remaster or a remake.

A remaster of Quake 1 & 2 is a blessing, don't bring a curse upon us.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d be curious what a remaster of 3 would be. I’d love to have that on console again. I played the poo poo out of the Dreamcast port.

They give it the usual visual, mechanical updates and then instead of one extra episode from Machine games, we get an entire loving SP campaign. (if you're going to dream, dream big)
But I personally never got into Q3 much, aside from mods that used it. I played the poo poo out of Q1 & 2 mp and then went to UT99. There's just something about 2fort style maps that gets me going more than arena-based DM.

anilEhilated posted:

I actually quite like Quake 4

It's fine, when it came out I was just disappointed that they went with more Strogg stuff as I had always liked the Q1 Cthulu aesthetics more. Hopefully we get a Doom 2016-style Quake reboot eventually.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just cant get over how loving good the explosions look in Q2 with all the new dynamic lighting stuff. So rich and fluffy.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Volte posted:

The new Quake 2 looks cool with its dynamic lighting and shadows and same some modern QoL like weapon/inventory radial wheel. It's still Quake 2 for better or worse but it seems like maybe the AI is different? Did the enemies always jump off bridges to chase you? I'm playing on Nightmare which I never did before so maybe they always did that on Nightmare (or it was just a scripted thing in this one place?)

No the AI was broken in the original release, they fixed it and it now does what it was originally intended to do.

Edit: they also did a superb job with the model updates because I could have sworn they looked original until I checked in the enemy viewer. They improved their quality quite a bit by adding more surfaces for shadows to play across while keeping ultra close to the original look.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 10, 2023

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

What would you even shoot in a Quake 3 campaign. Just design an enemy roster from scratch? Import Q1/2 monsters? vs bot only?

Make grunt/clone versions of all the different characters. Do something like the x-men mod did where they are all weaker versions of the original.

But if the new additions to Q2 are any indication, they might be going for a Quake cinematic universe crossover or something.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

The original Q3 “campaign” was a series of premade bot tournaments with 1v1 boss fights

That never counted as a real campaign. Hell UT99 had more of a campaign than that was.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Ok, so I'm at work. Just had a informal talk with my junior (24 years old I believe) coworker... we talked of games. I commented they did a remaster of Quake 2, so I played a bit yesterday.

He said "Quake? That game features a duck, right?" Me: "Uhhh... no". And it isn't like he misheard, he googled it up and wrote 'quake'. We ended up seeing the screenshots, and at least he recognized it was a game in the 'style of Doom', which served for me to explain it was from the same company.

So yeah, sober reminder old ips aren't as strong as before with the newer generatios.

I remember when Quake first came out, searching for it would always result in various news stories about earthquakes in Asia. Anything related to Quake, like Planet Quake, was usually 6 items down the list.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
What about Planet Quake 2?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

So.... was I the only one who thought for multiple decades that the N64 Quake 2 campaign WAS the PC campaign with a few tweaks?

Whoopsie.

There are a couple slices or sections of levels reused in the Q2 64 campaign, like that bit with the acid vat, but they are just a couple rooms in a larger level that's totally different. So if you've played PC Q2 you will have a couple "Oh I remember this, that was cool" moments as you play through the 64 campaign.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a lot of fun playing through Quake 2 again, but especially since I've recently played through Quake 1 a couple times recently, I have to admit that Quake 2 just isn't as good as Quake 1.

Quake 2 is good, Quake 1 is excellent.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
One day Nightdive will remaster Daikatana and after 25 years everyone will finally be Romero's bitch.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I will say the Quake 2 remaster has the best loving explosions I've seen in forever. More games need the fluffy cloud explosion aesthetic.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I also think the sci-fi setting forced some changes like nailgun -> machine gun, which is just not as interesting, both conceptually and mechanically. The nailguns firing 3d nails that have travel time are just a superior game weapon to the hitscan mgs. The laser gun sort of does the nailgun thing, but the ammo is a lot scarcer and I feel like I need to save energy for the shield, so I end up never firing it.

The super shotgun is pretty ok where it is, but I think the pump shotgun needs to fire faster.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

I don't really see how Quake2 was any more limited with it's enemy design then Doom, both in terms of demons vs. alien-machine hybrids, and the actual rosters, to a degree. The levels I agree a bit more on.

Well doom had demons, of which there are several different "species" that all look drastically different and then they slapped some cybernetic stuff on the demons.

Quake 2 has mostly different kinds of dudes with cybernetic stuff slapped on them. There's a skinny guy with a gun arm, and a buff guy with a gun arm. And then there's a buff guy with two gun arms. Then theres a buff guy with sword arms. Then there's a flying guy with no arms. Etc.

Edit: The biggest sin is the amount of hitscan enemies. It was also a problem in Doom, most people despised levels with too many gunners. Quake 2 is like 60% hitscan all the way through, which leads to lots of corner peak-a-boo instead of arena sprinting and dodging.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

I don't agree that the game is TOO samey but I kind of wish they leaned more into the body horror, you know?

I just recently got through the level with the human processing machines or whatever and it ended up being more comical than I remembered. Lots of cartoonish conveyor belts with giant comical pistons squishing dudes into gibs.