Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Casimir Radon posted:

All the SOF talk reminded me that I bought it when GOG got it, and played a bit before burning out a bit for some reason. I need to go back and finish it.

I also remembered CIA Operative: Solo Missions which my cousin bought in 2001, and wouldn’t loan to me because he’s a dick. It’s apparently a lovely budget game but stray memory made me grab a cheap copy on eBay. LGR made a Worst 17 PC Games video way back when he first started out, and several items on there were poo poo games my cousin bought. He had a fair bit of Head Games poo poo.

"Check it out bro, I got the entire capstone games library. It's the pinnacle of entertainment software!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Casimir Radon posted:

TekWar at least kind of tried. Can’t say that for anything made by Head Games. It’s been way too long since LGR made a Head Games video.

Did it though? I think it's just a build game and a no-effort build game is going to be better than a no-effort wolf3d engine game.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Dark Forces has a really weird engine, from what I remember it's closer to build than idtech1, but it handles overlapping sectors on different z planes better than build and has some kind of moving polygon ship fuckery that I don't fully understand.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

haveblue posted:

It's a little smarter than that, I think it has something like Duke Nukem did for vertically stacked sectors or at least collidable polygons (there are a couple of places where you can walk over and under a bridge in the same room). It also had a bunch of random unique tricks thrown in, like the one level where the lighting fades to orange rather than black.

I think dark forces could handle seeing two vertically stacked sectors at the same time, like two balconies or whatever. Build you had to visually disguise things or I think it would flash between which sector it would render.

Bridges in build like at the end of DN3D lvl1 were just sprites with collision, so they couldn't move or anything.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Red Light District is just as good as the first level.

edit I also didn't like the suburbia level in blood money, I thought the steamboat level was much better

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Convex posted:

The year is 1998. It is time for journalism

Hell yeah q2 clans, brings me back to the heat.net days.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Heat.net is funny as poo poo, they used to let you earn points by playing, and then you could redeem them for actual physical goods like video cards. One day they realized they were losing tons of money and devalued the points by something like a power of 10 and a ton of users left out of spite. Them they dumped everything into developing their own game, effectively inventing mmos, just nobody wanted that in 1999 and I don't think they even finished development before it all exploded.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really liked the cultic demo, great atmosphere and basic mechanics, and the weapons were all pretty fun. I really just wish that they'd differentiate the ammo pickups more, and provide more ammo/less health overall. The weapons are fun enough that I'd like to be able to use them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
William Shatner's Tekwar: The Game: The Movie!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Urban Doom's only real mistake was taking it's visual inspiration from Doom 3.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok, it's biggest issue is copping the look and feel of Doom3.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd actually love a Doom/Doom2/Final Doom/Doom64 pack using D64's lighting effects and soundtrack vibes, maybe higher quality sprites but closer to classic doom's designs, just a good continuity in design between those games. Include the ssg in final doom also.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Which halo was it where they made the pistol not the best weapon in the game? 2? 3?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Remember that 2k4 map that ends with you driving into the goat man's anus?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The United States posted:

9/11 happened and modern military shootmans shortly became the cultural zeitgeist, overtaking WW2 shootmans and Quake/Unreal abstract arena shootmans

2004, a year notable for happening before 2001.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean I guess "people stopped playing unreal tournament 2k4 after 9/11" isn't necessarily untrue

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I finally finished Hexen's xpac - Deathkings of the Dark Citadel!

- Hot diggity drat it's a fair jump in difficulty, don't gently caress about
- I played Hexen + DoDC in one big playthrough, this time as a Cleric. It is 10000% more fun than playing as a Fighter (I only did Fighter for Hexen). I cannot imagine the misery and pain as playing Fighter in DoDC.
- The maps aren't as "explore-y" as Hexen; while there's certainly lots of "find x switch to unlock y door on z map", it's a little easier here.
- That said, it's set off by rear end in a top hat enemies and mean map makers. (in a good way, they're not being ultra-dicks for no reason)
- Alas, no real story.

I gave Hexen 2.5/5 stars, but after playing as a caster, it really is a completely different game. gently caress melee.
3.5/5 stars, make sure you play DoDC as well. I thought it would be some cheap, nasty 3rd party xpac - but it was surprisingly fun!

Next up - Hexen II

You must find 15 more switches veggie ousting this review.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

drrockso20 posted:

It pains me so much that my laptop is such an ancient toaster that I have to have ragdolls and gibs disabled as part of the config I use to get a halfway decent FPS in TF2

I used to run tf2 on my dell from 2003.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Blood is probably the best build game, it has a great atmosphere and vibe without being as... flat? or racist as shadow warrior but still has a fun main character with a lot of personality that isn't as over the top as DN3D. Also the level design stays great whereas I feel like I feel like the levels in duke fall off in terms of quality after E1.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's true, it did. It isn't even a bad game on its own merits, it's just saddled with some really unfortunate racist poo poo and it's neither as incredible-but-really-hard as Blood or as approachable and well-rounded as Duke.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember a contemporary description of Far Cry 2 was that it isn't a first person shooter, it's a worst person shooter. You're just the loving worst person ever, playing as a total scumbag piece of poo poo. Shoot that dude in the balls and then when his friends come out to check on him pick them off one by one. Then burn their cabin down. Just the worst.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You're thinking camels

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think a good Pain Elemental replacement would be the actual D64 Cacodemon. Just make a new D64 cacodemon.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Dude's just trying to be like the Spiders and hang a little brain.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I bought and played through all the games in the Dark Forces lineage a while back. Dark Forces is the one most clearly in need of an update, the low resolution and control issues really hamper what is generally a cool game with some really impressive engine poo poo and fantastic atmosphere. Jedi Knight is pretty tough to get through, it has aged the worst probably. Jedi Outcast is probably the best overall of the games, even though AGAIN you start it as a FPS and have to wait a while to get your saber and jedi powers. Jedi Academy has some nice replayability in that you can make a different custom character and pick some different levels, and it's nice that you more or less start as a jedi but the levels are all around a little worse.

The best way to play Jedi Outcast is to cheat heavily to get yourself full jedi powers and a saber right at the start, and also turn on the 'realistic lightsaber damage' flag that lets you just absolutely tear through everybody with limbs flying off everywhere. And then when you get bored spawn in a couple dozen Lukes to go apeshit for you.

edit I take it back, the Mara Jade expansion for Jedi Knight is the worst, that poo poo sucks and I couldn't finish it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What was the last big title that had episodes at all? Quake?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's fair and I think dividing media into sections or chapters or acts like that is usually a great idea, but i always feel like when I hear "episode" in reference to a video game it's the strict "you're starting over from scratch" thing. I don't really understand why these old id and build engine games did that other than it was just the model that wolf3d established.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The jumping sound in quake was actually Trent Reznor saying "quake"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"!doom gib a s'tI !oremoR nhoJ ,em taefed tsum uoy ,emag eht niw oT"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I miss Halo 1 vehicles being indestructible, we'd set up LAN sumo tournaments where you let both players get in warthogs and then see who can roll the other first.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

skasion posted:

Yea, the Build shooters are way harder than Doom. Blood and Shadow Warrior are even more aggro than Duke I would say.

Yeah, duke is the easiest of the big 3 build games by a wide margin. Duke has a bunch of secrets that provide early help, like a rocket launcher after you've killed like 2 enemies.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Agents are GO! posted:

Back in the day, I hated doom64 because I wanted Doom goddamnit. Now I've come around.

As an aside, does anyone else think that Doom 64s aesthetic take as much from quake as they do from Doom?

The sound aesthetic is definitely along the same lines as Quake's but I always think of D64 as way more colorful and exaggerated instead of brown and meaty.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm not saying doom64's soundtrack was ambient industrial, I know it's not (as someone who has made ambient industrial music), but it's definitely moody and atmospheric, as Quake's is. Compare it against doom's or doom2's MIDI knockoffs of Slayer, DRI, and Metallica riffs.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Doom's engine doesn't really excel at recreating real-world places the way build does.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think on its own that baron is kinda neat, if overly pointy, but really doesn't mesh worth doom 3 at all and doesn't really make me think of a baron of hell either. Looking back on the game's other designs, I kind of hate them all. I think I kind of hate everything about doom 3 except for the dynamic lighting?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The United States posted:

The Doom 3 hell knight made a good Doom 4/E monster

The Doom 3 pinky was a good cybernetic demon dog thing, just not a good pinky

Yeah, I'd like the Baron/Hell Knight design a lot better if it had the big gently caress-off horns and maybe some fuzzy pants.

Also agreed that the pinky design was kind of cool but a terrible pinky.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I liked Doom 3 and I remember most people here liking it at the time as well. I like Doom 2016 much better, though.

I seem to remember most people talking about hating the crawling enemies, baby spiders I think? I think there was a front page article about how lovely they were. I think I just hate how much of the game is these lovely tight little corridors, they're the worst part of any FPS.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
But guys, tekwar is a Build game! The holy quadrilogy of retro eff pee esses!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

pairofdimes posted:

Doom was open sourced more than 2 years before Build and the Duke3D game code wasn't open sourced for another 3 years after that, so I don't think it's too surprising that Doom has had a lot more development. There's only so many people working on old 3D engines and once people have focused their efforts on one there's not much point in redoing it on another.

I'm a build defender, but doom's engine is efficient and elegant in a way that lends kept very well to modding. Doom's engine is flexible and straightforward. Build is neat and I love it's quirks but there's a reason Carmack's code has had the longevity of appearing in games decades later.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Frankly I think I only played a few minutes of any of the TS games story modes, we'd just gently caress around in deathmatches and those were pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Are the reboot games still weirdly racist? I feel like you kinda can't get away from that.