Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Kins posted:

Greg Punchatz did an interview about his work on the practical-effect monsters in Doom and Doom 2.

quote:

“At one stage id offered me points on the backend to take $500 off the price of one of the characters and I turned that down," he says.

Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

laserghost posted:

and No Rest For The Living :unsmigghh:

I just beat No Rest For the Living. Loved it - adding a new episode to Doom II is stepping into some pretty big shoes, but Nerve knocked it out of the park. March of the Demons, the secret level, is particularly awesome. Even the guys with super high standards at Doomworld dug it.

I've been trying to complete all the commercially released WADs, and I just have Final Doom left to go. Frankly the talk of its difficulty and the prospect of slogging through 64 levels is putting me off a bit. Are TNT and Plutonia worth playing through?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Would anyone be interested in co-op playing through Half-Life: Decay sometime?

I finally got through Opposing Force and Blue Shift this week, and figure I may as well round out the collection. I just got the PC mod recreation of it (http://decay.half-lifecreations.com/) but it's just not the same hotswitching between two different characters.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Are you guys talking about the Cyriak of crazy kaleidoscope Youtube videos fame?

This Cyriak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8

If so, awesome. Gonna get that WAD.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

What's the recommended way of playing Quake II these days? Is there a consensus best source port / patch?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

F.E.A.R. Extraction Point is pretty blah, but it does have a goddamn amazing minigun weapon.

Frankly, if you get the minigun right in a game then you're at least guaranteed some fun no matter what.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

Quake 2 had it, but the low enemy density meant it didn't come up very often. I know this for a fact because I kept breaking it when I was rewriting the monster targeting AI a couple months ago.

I know Quake 2 has it because one of the demo recordings shows it off in the background of the start menu.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Is Unreal 1 worth playing?

Nobody ever mentions it, which I guess is a bad sign.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'll get on Unreal soon then. The 12 year old in me is secretly loving playing 90s FPSs at 1080p with all the settings maxed.

Also digging Quake 2 right now. Feels like a perfect halfway point between Quake and Half-Life.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Randy Pitchford actually sounds pretty reasonable here.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Woah gently caress, Red Faction 2 is SO bad. Jesus what happened.

edit: haha the team member doing a bad Jason Statham impression is actually Jason Statham.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 26, 2016

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

I honestly don't think it's that bad at all. It doesn't really go with the whole theme the first one established, but there was a ton of variety in what you end up doing so it doesn't really get stale. There's also no forced stealth mission so that's a plus.

It feels like a PS2 game, which I now realise it actually is. Not helping is that the Steam version comes without the prerendered cutscenes, so the plot makes no sense.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Well, I finished Red Faction 2. A game that features:

- Unskippable and relatively lengthy pre-boss cutscenes
- Endlessly spawning tiny robots that charge towards you and explode, taking half your health bar
- Saves only at checkpoints
- Randomly crashes after defeating bosses.
- Enemies shoot at you through walls
- Multiple endings based on civilian deaths (there are points where you are in a robot suit and even if you stand completely still, they charge at you and die on contact)

A few tiny things in its favor. At some points you have an AI companion who's mercifully invincible and doesn't seem to have any buggy pathing issues. Also, despite looking primarily butt-ugly, the character models are alright. For 2002.

gently caress you Red Faction 2. At least I got the ending where the Xtreme Blue haired fighter pilot died homeless and alone.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 28, 2016

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Hello thread that I didn't know existed until just now, to celebrate the impending release/commercial success/potential failure of Do4m, I am playing through all the Doom games for the first time ever. I have realized that not doing so was a huge mistake on my part and I shouldn't have waited 20 years to play them. Today I beat Doom and Doom 2, tried out Doom 3 and it wasn't that great, so I was referred to this thread by the general thread up top to ask for everyone's favorite OG Doom/2 .wads. Anyone got any favorites besides the ones in the OP?

If you got Doom 3 BFG Edition it comes with a new Doom 2 episode, No Rest for the Living. Try that (it rules).

Also Final Doom is mostly great.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If anyone's hunting for a decent deal I just got Doom & its DLC from CDKeys.com for £25 ($35). Currently downloading on Steam now.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man I have to accept that my trusty old laptop just isn't up to running Doom 4. 25 fps with everything set to low and the graphics card could fry an egg :(

Oh well, I'll play it when I get a better PC.

Back to Final Doom I think.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man Quake 2: The Reckoning has one of the worst openings I've seen in a while.

You start in a piss-yellow swamp, then progress to a dark brown sewer level and then back to the swamp. Urgh...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Huh, the Casali brothers (Final Doom, Half-Life etc) are the sons of the creator of the Love Is... comic.

Weird bit of trivia.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

4 hours of hilarious, amazing quake goodness :allears:

You don't have to watch it all in one sitting. The in-game version has episodes you can skip to, and youtube video you can just save it to your "watch later"

Dude, this is awful. Anyone that could watch four hours of this, in one sitting or not, is insane.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I got DOOM running at a reasonable speed on my potato PC!

hmm... can I tolerate this?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

just pretend you're playing doom 3 or something :kiddo:

fake edit: wait you're running it in 640x480, lmbo

Just going to silently pretend that it's 2002. Might bust out a CRT to play it on.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd love to see a mod (or a full game) where a really big, perhaps-unkillable monster is hunting you throughout the map. They always know where you are, or maybe are just really good at figuring it out, without knowing exactly, and you have to get poo poo done without dying to them. Sort of like RE3: Nemesis style, except it's completely organic when and where the unkillable thing will get you.

That's literally Alien: Isolation and it loving rules.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm playing through TNT at the moment and it's great. Some nice loving around with what you'd expect from enemy placements and great looking level design.

Haven't gotten to Plutonia yet... I hear that's the balls hard one.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Right, I'm going to play through Daikatana. I've been working my way through the big 90s FPSs and I guess this was coming down the line at some point...

Any tips, (fan patches, source ports)?

(other than "Don't play this game".)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Kins posted:

[*]Start a LAN co-op game to play without any cutscenes or annoying AI buddies (should you not wish to get the full Daikatana experience)
[/list]

Okay, all advice taken except this. I want the unfiltered experience.

Errrrrrk even the menus in this suck....

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can't believe I've played two 90s FPSs in a row that start in a swamp and then go to a sewer.

gently caress you Quake II: the Reckoning and Daikatana.

(I am also currently playing Assassin's Creed Liberation, so my swamp level tolerance is at all time low)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Once you get past the hordes of mosquitoes and robofrogs Daikatana isn't that bad. I mean, the weapons suck (the first weapon you get fires ricochet shots that tend to hurt you more than the enemies and the shotgun fires 5 rounds in succession each time you press fire), but you can kiiiinda see what they were going for. If this had actually come out around '97 (admittedly in a post release fan patch 1.3 state) it'd be well-regarded.

I do love how the fan patch gives you the option to turn off the buggy sidekicks, but then pleads with you that they've fixed them up and to give them a shot.

(They're now upgraded from 'broken' to 'semi-broken').

Also, hearing this just made me want to quit and play some more Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM6ppxZByEQ&t=37s

Next - to Ancient Greece!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I feel I'm beginning to know the pain of Daikatana.

"Just climb the loving ladder Mikiko."

*presses "Come" button*

"I not do what you say Mister."

:mad:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Fighting the mighty Cerberus in Daikatana:

Why did no-one tell me the plot of this game was this insane? I went from slogging through a burger factory/crematorium that culminated in a boss fight involving disembodied brains and monsters that fire beams that made Solid Snake Hiro trip the gently caress out, to fighting minotaurs, big titted flying archer women, centaurs and goddamn Medusa. Now I'm in a middle ages plague village and who the hell even knows what's happening anymore? :catdrugs:

Also this game can look kinda pretty:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

Lookin' really Quake 1 engine there, Daikatana.

Using this much garish primary coloured lighting was passe long before Daikatana ever hit shelves, but after umpteen grey corridored shooters it's refreshing. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's stylish, but at least it's not boring. Then again, I am also playing the FEAR expansion packs, so I'm hungry for colour like a starving man in the desert.

If I can be a bit wanky for a moment, it kinda reminds me of Nicholas Winding Refn and Gaspar Noe:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Higsian posted:

Played through Doom and Doom 2 recently and loved it, then got to Final Doom and hated it because the stages felt more like a bullshit slog than stuff made to be fun. Is Master Levels for Doom 2 going to be a return to the form of the main games or is it another Final Doom?

I'm working through Final Doom too - one level a day.

I'm up to the closing sections of TNT at the moment, but my main problem is that these levels are just too drat long. I mean, spending 45 minutes in a single map feels like I'm kicking my heels, especially as the game isn't always clear about how you're supposed to proceed. Also, you get essentially two in one levels, where you spend ages battling through some complex base, which proceeds to teleport you into another section so big it may as well be another level entirely.

Also, as someone who's played through Master Levels, I'd skip it. The maps tend to be good ideas and some of them are quite pretty, but they're not actually that much fun to play. All too often you run into ammo bottlenecks where you pretty much have to restart the level.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Well, I've finally finished Daikatana and, y'know what, it wasn't awful. It's not a lost classic by any means, and it makes a terrible first impression in what is probably the worst opening level in gaming history (and definitely the worst thing to release as a demo). That goddamn loving ugly swamp, with it's robomosquitoes, robofrogs and robogators is the low point of the game by far. It boggles the mind that Romero didn't cut it - especially as the story would make just as much sense if you started in the slightly better prison level.

Once you're clear of the first episode, which concludes with a really barmy fight against disembodied brains and teleporting monsters that fire psychedelic vision beams at you (these are never, ever explained), things settle into a straightforward 90s FPS vibe with the occasional pretty location. Each episode is so different from the rest (and contain their own mini-narratives) that they feel a bit like you're playing through a couple of innovative TCs for Quake II. You can tell that the level designers are talented, and some of the later bits of episode 3 feel like they could be from a Quake I sequel. Also, the Daikatana itself is a surprisingly fun weapon to use. I wasn't expecting much from a 90s FPS melee weapon, but when its powered up into a tacky neon disco stick, it's dead fun to sprint around the levels at Quake speed slicing apart enemies, or leaping through the air and timing your slash just right to take down two people as you land. The less said about the other weapons the better - at best they're dull (though there is a fun minigun) - at worst they'll kill you without warning. For example, I picked up a weapon that spawned friendly monsters and on its first use it telefragged me the moment I clicked fire.

Granted, the version I played was probably the absolute best the game could be. First of all I was on the 'Ronin' easy difficulty setting and second I used the 1.3 fan patch. This thing is a goddamn lifesaver: they've added HD resolutions, altered the maps to fix the pathing of the AI companions and removed the nightmarish sounding 'save gem' system. Superfly and Mikiko are still complete liabilities (the sight of a ladder eventually made my heart sink, as I knew it meant 5 minutes of carefully nudging them off and onto it), but I never got stuck for too long. Then again, the 1.3 patch maps noclip to the N button, which helps out with a lot when things get screwy (which is often).

While I know Romero is (or was) practically the template for gaming developer hubris, the main reaction I had towards him was pity. I can just imagine the Daikatana team in late 98 settling down to play Half-Life and realising with cold dread that pretty much EVERYTHING that they were working on was instantly old news. I know Ion Storm was a clusterfuck of epic proportions, but seeing HL change FPS forever while the hot young 'design is law' rockstars are stuck grinding through an obsolete game design can't have been good for morale. If, in a literal miracle most likely aided by an unjustly charitable John Carmack, this had come out as planned on Christmas 97 (in a state resembling fanpatch 1.3) it'd be regarded as a slightly disappointing but competent shooter. But by 2000 the 'find the blue key' level design was impossibly passe, as were Daikatana's non-existent enemy AI, crappily animated character models and narrative structure. Thing is, in 2016 you can put yourself in a 90s design frame of mind, especially if you're playing a lot of Doom/Quake beforehand, so all these archaic design decisions are a little more forgivable. Just keeping telling yourself you're playing a game from 97.

(I am equally amused and impressed at this attempt to do a speedboat chase in the Q2 engine)

If anyone hasn't played it, I'd recommend it if only as historical curiosity. I'd have liked to see how Ion Storm would have evolved given Half-Life as a target to beat, but I guess we'll never know. Kind of melancholically, the credits play out as a level with 'memorials' to the team (so. many. mullets.) and feels like a sad memorial to Ion Storm as a whole. Sure they were dickheaded fuckups of epic proportions who almost literally burned through money and goodwill, but at least Daikatana feels like a passion project rather than a focus-grouped corporate product.

RIP to your career you egomaniac.

And yes, your wife is hot.

But FUUUUUUCK these assholes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

blackmarketlimb posted:

Masters of DOOM is great, if only for the fact it gave me visions of a blank faced John Carmack watching VHS after VHS, scribbling into a notebook and trying to understand how mere humans interact and have emotions.

I love bit where Carmack is approaching some kind of zen state: visualising the code that runs his arms and calculating specular reflections in his shower.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gah, these turrets in Quake II Ground Zero singlehandedly ruin the drat game.

Someone please tell me there's a way to mod them out. I'm sick of quicksaving before every corner lest I eat a rocket to the face without warning.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Kins posted:

My map has been updated.

• Added co-op starts... like anybody's gonna play this thing in co-op.
  • Changed some of the scripting in the last room of the Gold Floor and added the repeatable flag to the teleporter, to prevent any problems in co-op.
  • Renamed the sprites for the metal chair gibs to fix a conflict with Smooth Doom.
  • Added unique gib sprites for the monitors so they no longer spew out chair legs.
  • Adjusted one of the platforms near the start of the blue floor, so that you can no longer get stuck behind one of the lava containers.
  • Adjusted the geometry of the Chainsaw secret in order to make the secret easier to trigger consistantly.
  • Fixed a HOM bug with Monster Lockers on the gold floor.
  • Fixed the exit not triggering in the ending. Oops.
  • Made the Powerpoint a little slower, by request.
  • Removed the "cutoff" on the outside window areas on the Gold Floor.
  • Added a little polish to the falling-to-your-death sequence.
  • Minor tweaks to the sounds to reduce filesize.

Just want to say that this map is doooooope.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm getting this error when I try and run the Seinfeld wad with GZDoom. Anyone got any ideas?

Script error, "gSeinfeld.wad:DECORATE" line 17:
SpawnID must be in the range [0,255]

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Thanks - that fixed it!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Anyone got a recommendation for a map that really pushes Doom's limits? I don't care if it's particularly fun to play, I just want to see the engine doing neat things.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just finished Final Doom, playing one level every day to ensure I didn't get too burnt out.

I dug most of TNT while I was playing it, but maybe a third of levels went on a bit too long. In my opinion, 15-25 minutes is the ideal playtime for a Doom level and some of these took me upwards of an hour to get through.

HOWEVER, Plutonia fuckin' rocks. There's a real sadistic glee in the way it just tosses giant roomfuls of Revenants at you and expects you to zig and zag your way through their homing rockets. Plutonia also taught me not to be scared of Archviles - once you've mastered their timing they're not so bad to face. And man, Go-2-It is the epitome of :black101:. Defeat a Cyberdemon and open the door behind him and BAM, another Cyberdemon. I made it a point to clear out the level completely, then finish off the final Cyberdemon with the chainsaw.

Now to Doom 64 EX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think if you get to Hong Kong and decide Deus Ex isn't for you then fair enough. You're wrong, but fair enough.

If you don't even get that far you haven't really given it a proper shake.