Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Convex posted:

It looked like everyone was a few seconds from exploding, like that guy in the pressure chamber in Licence to Kill

I should play that game again sometime. So many games, such little time :sigh:

You better get ready for a loving hard intro that requires you to do every motherfucking thing in a certain loving order or else you're hosed.

It's loving fine after that, but all of the motherfucking RPG elements go away around the poo poo halfway point, with the loving exception of the motherfucking shops, which aren't really loving useful because you only find the loving poo poo once in a blue moon. Your dude takes too much loving damage if you don't have a lot of poo poo armor, so be ready to take things loving slow, bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Duke is old news, man. Why not play the Badass Battleborn, which lets you play as over 50 badasses, from a ripoff of Saber from the Fate series to a literal Penguin of Doom, as they fight to protect or destroy the last star in the galaxy with lore spanning the beginning of the galaxy????? It's freaking epic and you're gonna love it!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

laserghost posted:

You know what, let's rewind the tape a lil bit to January, 1999: http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/01/30/prax-war-cancelled

Karma is a bitch.

So basically the tussle over Duke is partially because Randy is still butthurt over a comment Scott Miller made 17 years ago.

I hope the drama surrounding Duke never ends. :allears:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Quake 1's single player is really great, despite it's obviously haphazard development.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

This is true, though I wish it were longer.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Daikatana is so much better without sidekicks. Episode 1 sucks less without Superfly charging into enemies with only the Ion Blaster, but Episodes 2 and 3 feel like a great to perfect combo of Hexen's cool worlds and Quake 1's gameplay without the idiots holding you down. You can run around like crazy and tear fools into pieces like you're in Quake 1 when you don't have to worry about a bumbling idiot or two kill stealing or getting stuck on some bullshit. Even the quality nosedive Episode 4 takes past the halfway point is easier to handle when you don't have to babysit Mikiko while suffering through Mishima Labs and the Navy Seals Training Center. Plus, all of the supplies for the sidekicks are much better served in your hands than Mikiko or Superfly's. :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Arivia posted:

According to the Zdoom forums thread, it's explicitly inspired by Exploding Lips and probably Nitemare 3D, two very old obscure FPSes. (There's sprites ripped from the former and I think some wall textures from the latter, if not more?) Those games were interesting but played horribly from what I've seen, so taking them and redoing them in ZDoom so they aren't horrible to actually control is a pretty good idea!

Yeah, it's weird and very early 90s in so many ways, which is exactly what its inspiration was like. Just smoother. I think that's pretty good, TBH.

I played Nitemare 3D on a dare from here a year or so ago.

You do not want to play Nitemare 3D. Trust me.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
A new Serious Sam game was announced...and it's a gimmick VR game. :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_CZosKxig

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I found the worst part of KDIDZ was that awful underground section added to E1M3. Just when you think you've beaten the map, you get thrown into a confusing underground mine and have to go and hunt for ANOTHER set of keycards in order to beat the map, but this time the keycards are placed in obscure locations!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Honestly, I think Doom is pretty dull. Enemies, from their speed to their projectiles, are way too slow. They only serve as a threat when you pack them in tight spaces; put them in a room that isn't tight as a virgin rear end in a top hat, and you can run circles around them as they in-fight each other to death. The only actually fast thing is your running speed. The last time I played Doom was Doom the way iD did it back on Doom's 21st birthday, and it was so boring and predictable that I quit around E1M3. Doom gives you a good illusion of being a speedy game because of your jacked run speed, but in reality it's pretty slow.

Quake 1's combat is much more intense. Quake guy is a little bit slower, but enemies have better reaction times and overall feel faster in firing speed and projectile speed than enemies in Doom. Enemies like Fiends, Vores, keeping a Knight rush under control, and an Ogre bombardment are so much more fun after going through a fight with another group of slow as molasses Hell Knights with some equally-slow Imps taking potshots at you.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Jehde posted:

This is something I noticed playing last night. Quake's level design tends to be a bit more cramped as well, so there's less kiting and more jumping around a room dodging frantically in every direction, trying to make the most of what limited space you have. I had a moment where I was at a sliver of health duking out with a hell knight and I managed to instinctively jump over his fireball volley at a fairly close range, it felt amazing to pull off. I don't really get that sort of frantic action satisfaction with Doom.

If you want something tense, try circle-strafing to defeat a Vore while it's balls is still following you. poo poo is tense and fun as gently caress because one mistake will gently caress you up, but if you kill it, you have some balls around you that you can lead to any nearby enemies. :getin:

It's my preferred way to kill Vores now. You don't break the combat rhythm by retreating and it makes combat more intense.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
FEAR 3 really picks up once you get to Fairport. The only Fairport levels I wasn't too keen on were the suburbs and the final level. The bridge and rush to the Space Needle are some of my favorite FEAR levels of all time. The airport also has a kickass skybox and good gameplay.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Just played the System Shock 1 remake pre-alpha.

It's got potential. The combat is pretty janky; enemies can apparently still hit you even when they're dying, and melee combat is pretty dull. There's no way to tell what setting the laser gun is on, so you just gotta hit the F key and hope it can kill poo poo.

Overall though, it's a nice re-imagining of the original, but I wish there were more creepy moments. I would've liked more PA announcements hinting that things were wrong instead of just machinery sounds all the time.

I don't mind them sticking real close with what I've seen because the demo consisted of wandering through a small medbay and a maintenance tunnel, and there's not a lot you can do with that. I hope other areas, like the groves and the executive level, are expanded on instead of just being the old levels with a lot of spit and polish on their graphics.

I'm not going to donate, but I'll keep an eye out for it when it's released.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Actually you can, when the hacker turns the switch you can see the four modes. Overcharge is two dots, then work from the beginning from there.

Oh. That would've been nice to have pointed out. :suicide:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What really would've been nice to know was a clue for the fuse puzzle. Nothing happened when I interacted, until by pure chance I pushed something in.

Alternatively the fact that the keypad only needed 3 digits. Seeing 0451 keep throwing an error code confused me until I saw the writing and tried 451

When I first saw the fuze puzzle, I thought I needed to find an object to fix it, not hump the thing so I can see the barely-pushed out nodes and push them back in. I looked for some sort of item until I got annoyed and started hitting the use key randomly on the fuze and saw that things were lighting up. Then I noticed the pushed-out nodes.

The keycode input system is crap too. I wish it did it Deus Ex style, instead of having to awkwardly hit each number with the use key.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Episode 3 of RotT is off to a bad start already. I'm not enjoying E3M1 much at all :(

Honestly, the best part of Episode 3 is the boss. He is a tough motherfucker (harder than the final boss even).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Then I guess Intercepter faithfully remade the encounter in RotT 2013 because it was some serious loving bullshit.

Original NME was fun and tense. 2013 NME was just a spam-fest, with you as the victim.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Battleborn tanking is one of my highlights of the gaming year. gently caress you Pitchford.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I can tolerate Gearbox's terrible "le epic random jokez!" and extremely hamfisted moralizing if the gameplay is good, but BL2's gameplay was shite once you hit PT2. You had to grind for a new legendary every 3 or so levels because enemies get way too strong every time you enter a new part of a map. And, as insult to injury, the legendary drop rate is close to Korean MMO levels and it costs a shitload of money just to buy a single box of shotgun shells or whatever in a bad attempt at making money more useful throughout the game.

I got past the ice cave in PT2 and said "gently caress this game", then uninstalled. Never played the DLC.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I wish someone would make Nerf Arena Blast to UT99 port. With all the crazy mods in UT99, it shouldn't be that difficult to port or make a really good recreation of Nerf Arena Blast to a more played game.

Right? :ohdear:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Man sometimes I feel like the only person that never got swayed by System Shock 2. I love the original but 2 just doesn't do it for me. I love Eric Brosius' sound design, I love exploring the ship, and Shodan is a PERFECT villain, but the moment to moment gameplay is just a slog for me. The RPG mechanics feel like gibberish. I can carry this grenade launcher in my inventory but I'm not strong enough to wield it? Instead of trying to make the cyberspace and other minigames better (not that I think they were all that bad in the first place) they stripped them out and replaced them with the most boring hacking minigame ever.

And then the mission design. You gotta go make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but first you need to go get the bread. The cabinet is locked, and the key is upstairs. There's a note upstairs saying that someone borrowed the key then went down into the basement, but the basement's flooded and there's an electrical current charging the water. You gotta turn off the current, but to do that you need bolt cutters which are in the toolshed in the backyard. Unfortunately, Old Man Doomguy is getting a little senile in his old age and mined the backyard, so you need a mine detector. The mine detector is at the Army Surplus Store but to get there you need a car. Fortunately, your neighbor will let you borrow the car, but first you need a loving LICENSE. System Shock 2 just goes on and on like this and it almost never feels like I'm making any kind of progress.

:negative:

System Shock 2 pairs an awful FPS game with a clunky mid-90s RPG into one gameplay package that has aged like milk exposed to Texas' heat. I could take the gameplay better if the quests were interesting, but in SS2, I'm fighting a bunch of spiders, poorly-modeled zombies, robots, and mounds of pink flesh that have taken over a spaceship, Alien-style, for their brilliant and evil scheme of clogging up the ship's only elevator system with alien goop and making you go on an almost-literal Easter egg hunt.

You could probably say something similar about DX1's gameplay at a glance, but the levels are fairly short compared, there are a lot of ways to tackle things (not in the "Pick a class and go to town" way) and the weapons are actually fun to use once you've leveled up your primary combat skill once or twice. Say what you want about DX1's clunkiness, but I've never had JC completely dumbfounded on how to shoot an assault rifle to the point where he can't even hold it because I didn't put enough points in a skill, like the SS2 guy can with estoric concepts like "Smash crystal shard over monster's head" and "Press the trigger to fire a very fast piece of metal at something from a rifle". Also, JC never has to pretend to be an undergrad chemistry student to upgrade himself. :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Someone post the zip that has the godawful voice acting in Operation Na Pali.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

loga mira posted:

You can alternatively just play with sidekicks. Daikatana to be honest is a bit thin mechanically. The enemies are simple and there isn't anything special about the maps, besides them being excellent classic FPS maps, no mini games, no puzzles. Why do we replay these old games, play user created maps, mods? Because we like the basic elements of a game and we are quite comfortable with them. Daikatana is a strange game in many ways, one of which is that it abandons whole chunks of itself and starts over so many times. You don't get to know the guns and the enemies very well, because you constantly get new guns and meet new enemies. Some weapons you get so close to the end of an episode you can accidentally finish the episode without ever using them. Each episode has enough content for two thirds of an ordinary game, yet they are pretty short. So what does persist between episodes? The sword itself and the skill system, which are ignorable, and the sidekicks. If you remove the sidekicks the game becomes disjointed. With sidekicks, if you actually use them like you are playing a very lite squad-based game, there is a level of strategy and planning that the game really needs, because as a straight FPS it is thin. And it feels thin because there's too much stuff, paradoxically. I think if for example the burst shotgun was available for the whole game, people who thought it sucked at first would have noticed that it is actually fun to use.

I find the companions actually hinder the game because they're just not as effective as you are if you use the leveling system. With a level 3 Attack and Power stats, you can destroy anything the game throws at you. Further levels turn the game into a very fast-paced massacre (which makes the second part of Episode 4 a lot easier to bear). The companions just can't keep up with the DPS and speed you have with some level ups. Also, you have to cart them over to a map exit and certain parts of a map in order to continue, and I feel that breaks the really fast-paced flow the game has.

The guns are actually pretty good and useful once you learn how to use them for the most part. The Ion Blaster's recoiling shots that can hurt you means jack after you've beaten a level or two with it. The burst shotgun is super fun in MP and with some level-ups in SP. The Hades Hammer is basically a ground-based mini-BFG that replaces ammo with some of your health and armor,. The Eye of Zeus' ability to kill you if you fire it with no targets present doesn't matter in SP because enemies are too slow to walk away from your cone of vision before you fire.

Is Daikatana perfect? gently caress no. But, the game has a lot of good and great gameplay and content hidden under the pile of poo poo that is Episode 1. Episodes 2 and 3 are must-plays for any classic FPS fan, especially if you liked Hexen's style.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

loga mira posted:

Maybe the solution to the sidekick question is a third game mode. For example a mode where they can die and respawn at the start of the next map, and you don't have to wait for them at map change. I think players will be motivated to keep them alive naturally, or they can be given some incentive.

There was a lot of outstanding talent in the studio that Romero ran. The Finnish guy who made those Arab maps and the accompanying popular blue textures set for Quake also worked on Daikatana. The game is such a patchwork of styles. If you made a game this way today it would be amazing. Something like McGee's second Alice game but even more visually incoherent.

I would've had it so that the player does not need to bring the partners with them to the exit (they'd respawn as soon as you got into the next map, like you'd see in a modern game) nor does the game end if one of them dies. That way, they can still help, but they don't impede the game when they get stuck or decide to charge into an enemy-filled room and get slaughtered.

A Daikatana remake would be awesome if only to rebuild Episode 1's maps from scratch so they're good. Hell, I'd be happy with Episode 2 expanded into a full game.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

c0burn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soOCbGHQgFU

Tonights experiment. Sidescrolling? In my Quake?!

A simple rocket jumping map built for this mod would be fantastic.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

The Kins posted:

The Revision mod for Deus Ex has just released a big new update, 1.1 "Tempora". The highlights include 100+ Steam achievements, an extension to UNATCO HQ, new footstep sounds and a "Trenchcoat Mode" which dramatically reduces the size of your inventory.

They changed DX's classic "clip-clop" footstep sounds? Bullshit. t:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Is this mod made by the same guys that made Counter-Strike years later? For some reason the USP and MP5 models are really familiar (along with the left handed stance).

It is.