Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

This last episode showed the limits of Tyrion's abilities in Meereen. He does not speak the language. His decisions are only respected when Grey Worm and Missandei agree. They are "not political" but are being thrust into a political situation and seem to be learning from him. Tyrion is setting up the city in a way that seems to be a reasonable compromise. I don't see Dany just coming in and laying things to waste given that we've already been beaten over the head about the difficulties of not giving the slavers some compromise or taking their self-interest into account. We've seen how difficult it is for the Unsullied to stand against a clandestine insurgency. I think that Dany heads west and that maybe the thread of the Dothraki is enough to make the untrustworthy Masters trustworthy. That leaves the former slaves in charge in the East.

Im thinking that probably Tyrion's plan is going to backfire somehow, the masters are going to betray the deal and perhaps send their armies to Meeren.

Then Dany arrives with the Dothraki horde and destroy then all at once. And then she will look smug riding Drogon while triumphant music plays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MrSlam posted:

We're definitely not going to jump-cut to Seven Years Later. Either they're going to stab him in the back, Wormy and Missy are going to stab him in the back, the Sons of the Harpy are going to stab him in the back, or Dany's going to come back and everyone's going to forget about it. Or alternatively, Tyrion finds a loophole or has a situation thrust upon him and it's never brought up again.

That's kinda of what Im thinking: the Sons of Harpy will lay low for a coulpe of episodes. And then strike again when they are feeling safe, probably killing some semi-important character in the process (grey worm?), by backstabing of course.

And simultaneously, Yunkai and Astaphor will send their armies and surround Meeren. The situation will look hopeless, they will be ready to capitulate, and then Dany arrives and backstap then all with a full horde of dothraki and Drogon

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Let's be fair, those nerds were really just upset that Rey was a woman. Which is part of the problem with the modern use of Mary Sue; it's become shorthand for "I don't like this female character, most likely because I'm a colossal baby who can't enjoy fiction unless it's about a male, which I also am." Like, sure, she's a nobody from some backwater hellhole who goes on an adventure and triumphs over a powerful evil with hardly any training but I also literally just described Anakin and Luke's first adventures. Nerds got pissed because she's got a vag, not because of anything that goes on in the movie.

Much of the same group were also upset that Finn was an urban feral Dindu, too.

I liked the movie and I like Rey, but it is different. Luke did had quite a bit of training before being able to use the force and a lightsaber properly. And so did Anakin.

Rey starts using the force spontaneously like a master with no training at all, and then defeats Kylo, who did got a lot of training, the very first time she yields a lightsaber.

Heck, Finn is even worst. He is not even a force user and manages to put up a good fight with Kylo. Of course he is hurt, but he is supposed to be a powerful guy who singlehandedly murdered all other jedi students and all. Those two are way too powerful for what they really know

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Nay, Rey's visionquest shows him and "the knights of Ren" together during what's supposedly their attack on Lukes school. The promos made a big deal out of "the knights of Ren" for some reason even though that's the only time they show up.

Good point, I had forgotten about it. Still, Kylo is supposed to be a trained and powerful force user, and Rey is someone who literally discovered that she could use the force 30 minutes ago and Finn is just a former stromtrooper

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
As I understand, both Luke and Rey are highly effective pilots due some unconscious level of force helping. Or something like that. Mind control, at the other hand, is an advanced force technique. And she learns that by herself in 2 minutes and 3 tries. And her staff is quite a different weapon than a light sword

Well it doenst matters anyway cause its all midclorians and stupid

EIDT: really I was actually more bothered by the fact that a mere stormtrooper was able to hold a trained sith lord in a lightsaber fight for that long. But perhaps the next movies will reveal that he is too a force gifted guy

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 19, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MrSlam posted:

The Book Barn > ASOIAF: So about that new Star Wars

One thing I never hear get brought up is how much more teeth this version had. TIE Fighters being deadly and wrecking poo poo; lightsabers shooting sparks being wielded like a club; blaster shots that punch through things; terrifying stormtroopers who are competent and will murder your whole family.

It's a far cry from armies of droids crapping themselves to death at the first sign of trouble.

Also how real everything looks, after the prequel trilogy

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Lets talk about anime now

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

kenny powerzzz posted:

Don't worry, it takes off slow but tapers from there.

And then it gets very very slow

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I have to say that the addition of time travel fuckery to this already convoluted story packed with loose ends and unexplained mysteries gave a bad LOST feeling

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Captain Mediocre posted:

I'm enjoying the show again and however dumb most of it is I'd be amazed if anyone thinks gurms next piece of poo poo book won't be even dumber.

Im pretty sure is gonna be just as dumb on the things that happen, but it will be a lot less dumb on why they happen.

But it will surely be very long and boring too so I probably wont be able to force myself to read it, already knowing how it ends and all

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I loved the line "if you didnt knew who Ramsay was, you are an idiot. if you knew, you are my enemy" cause I remember using this exact argument against someone in the other thread that was defending that LF didint knew that Ramsay was a crazy psycho

Actually that whole scene was almost like the show writers were apologizing in screen for Sansa (and the audience) for the absurd bullshit that this plot was

Among all the crap they changed and messed up, Sansa marrying Ramsay was for me the absolute worst one

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 24, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Maybe there will be a grand master plan that Littlefinger unveils but right now the lack of a clear motive for his actions are what make me feel they messed up. He gives Ramsey Sansa, cannot be sure she will be safe, and then later goes to war to protect her now that she has escaped? What does he gain? Nothing from Ramsey. Nothing from Sansa. Maybe a motive to go to war? Littlefinger's motivations in the book are not clear, either so who knows.

Exactly. Except if they can come up with some really clever machinations to explain why (and I doubt they will), its completely gratuitous and the only reason I can think for this is that they wanted to shock the audience with some gruesome rape of a likable character.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Arcsquad12 posted:

I figured that Littlefinger gave her to the Boltons because it would solidify the North's alliance with the Southron kingdoms, letting Baelish operate like he used to playing everyone against each other. Without the Starks for legitimacy the North could easily spiral into a new war with the south andohgodwhyamIdefendingthisshit?

The only houses supporting the Boltons are doing it out of hate for the Starks anyway

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

boom boom boom posted:

I just finished The Game of Thrones. How the gently caress is it still not winter? From the very beginning they keep saying, "it's going to be winter soon", and the book ends like a year later, and they're all like, "seriously, any day now. It's almost winter."

Oh sweet summer child

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Junkenstein posted:

Have there been any dubbed versions yet, or will we have to wait a few months to see how they handle Hold The Door?

Its completely impossible in portuguese

Segure a porta
Seporta
???
Hodor

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
That almost makes sense. But then, why would he fight her?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Someone in the show spoiler thread posted this very good explanation of what's going on with Arya found in reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4luqf8/spoilers_everything_why_arya_and_the_waif_are_the/

There is no way this inst true, I think

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Junkenstein posted:

Why all the Arya conspiracy theories? She went to Bravvos, got a degree in assassination, almost lost herself, didn't. That's the only way that story was ever going to turn out.

Because after what happened last episode either:

1- Arya dies, like anyone should after being stabbed in the belly like that (which would terrible storytelling)

2- Arya just recovers magically (which is too stupid even by this show standards)

3- Arya pulled some absurd trick like instant face swapping or whatnot (which would be beyond Dorne levels of bad writing)

And then none of that explains the Waif character and her strange hate for Arya

This wraps everything up really good and it's a clever twist, IMHO

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Intel&Sebastian posted:

What, you don't get the implied jealousy? I didn't think that needed explaining.

She is supposed to be a cold hearted assassin, and she actually is. Except for her hatred for Arya. She always knows what Arya is thinking, and where she is, and her true intentions.

It might be that she is just jealous, but it would be kinda silly. Why would her? Arya is not her rival, they aren't competing for anything, and are supposed to be faceless sister when the training is over.

It makes a hell of a lot more sense if she is actually a split personality of Arya, the one who actually wants to be no one, and she and hates Arya because she is the part of her that is still someone. And the faceless training is not only about learning murder techniques, but mainly about killing her own ego

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 7, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

AtAt-de-fay posted:

In some of the photos released before the season aired, there's one of Arya's stunt double parkouring over the streets of Bravos. Hard to do when you've been stabbed in the tummy.

I'm going all in with the Tyler Durden theory.

Is either this or she will meet a wizard with a healing spell.

Of course there is the "it was really Jaqen just testing the Waif" theory, but that's way more stupid than Arya Durden theory really. If Jaqen lets himself get killed to test the waif, how is anybody know she passed or not? And after being able to flee, why would he (still dressed as Arya) wander the streets bleeding with a look of despair on his face? Makes absolutely no sense

EDIT: the only thing that makes me doubt that it will be Arya Durden is because it seems too clever for this show. But the explanation is probably that it comes from GRRM notes

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lycus posted:

Arya took her mask the last time she was in the Hall "for some reason" and sold it to some rear end in a top hat that was trying to sneak out of Braavos.

I don't know.

Who happens to have ninja training too? Cause hitting the person who just stabbed you in the guts and then backfliping out of a bridge (and surviving it too), is not something that just any regular joe would be able to accomplish

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

None of them are real Jaqen, they're playing the character "Jaqen the Lorath". Who knows how many faceless men have used that character?

Syrio Forrel is the real Jaqen

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lycus posted:

We've known that Braavosis give no shits all season. Some of them were entertained by the Waif beating on a blind beggar.

Well thats because all they could see was a crazy girl beating herself

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ian McShane was good, having the Hound back is good. But the whole things was dumb and specially the way it ended

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hogge Wild posted:

i read them all during a month or two, and i don't either remember which thing happened in which book or what their names were

Same but Ill never forget how bored I was during most of the last two

And "where do whores go"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

kcroy posted:

I think that means at least one other person here has actually read the wild cards thread! Because it is awesome!

Someone actually read wildcardas?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Anders posted:

There apparently is a speculation that the Faith will choose Tommen as their champion.

That would be hilarious

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Show sucks, everything is stupid

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Enhydra lutris posted:

???? That is not a Quote from the Series; I do not recall such a Scene occurring despite my flawless recall of the Series as a whole; though I do not enjoy the Works of George R. R. Martin I was never the less obligated to read them; as my Brother enjoys them; and will speak of no other Books. Please do not Troll me.

I dont either and I hope its fanfiction cause its creepy as hell

If GRRM really wrote this poo poo, gently caress him forever, I hope he dies from a heart attack while masturbating

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

visceril posted:

That Arya passage is real. It was included in one of the Dunk & Egg collections, where she prepares to go to Lhys as a bedslave. Arya's arc in Winds will closely mirror Tyrion's passage to Meereen as well as Dany's.

It's like poetry: it rhymes

I refuse to believe this

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Really? So he actually wrote a pre-teen having "sexual training" and admmiting to have lost her virginity with her older brother? loving perverted bastard

gently caress GRRM and his loving stupid awfully written story that he will never finish cause he is too engaged in writing his sick fetiches into it

Im glad D&D are ruining his precious series and I hope he dies from a heart attack while masturbating to anime

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I swear to god Im never reading another page of GRRM in my life. And I even feel a little dirty for the ones Ive read

He created and interesting little word with some interesting characters and interesting mysteries, I will give him that. But he is an awful writer and too much of a fuckup to do anything good with it. He dont even knows how to end his loving story and, after reading that awful poo poo, Im actually glad he inst

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Max posted:

Yeah that's clearly not real.

Well, ok then. I honestly feel relieved

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So who is responsible for that awful fanfic? This very thread?

EDIT:

visceril posted:

An author named TB Thread made a book called Game of Bones featuring all sorts of filth like that. He's currently working on the follow up Clash of Kinks but he's following in his master's footsteps and it's been years since we've had a proper update

thank you

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 13, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's just mean.

5 is definetly better than 4, but that is not saying much

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

visceril posted:

Yeah, Thrones through Swords was really good, GoT season one was really good, and the rest of the series and show has been increasingly disappointing.

But you like westeros and all that stuff. The rage wouldn't be as strong otherwise.

Pretending you never liked it is almost as pretentious as acting like you don't know who Goku is

I would say that s1 was really really good (like, among the best TV Ive ever watched). Then 2 & 3 were pretty good. 4 is when it starts going downhill, but it was still good.

Then 5 was awful and this one aint going much better either

The books Ive read cause I was too eager to konw what was going to happen, while waiting for s4. I remember that right after book 1 I though "well this wanst so bad, but is certainly works a lot better as TV than literature". That impression only grew stronger, as the last 2 books were a pain to read. And then the show managed to get a lot worst than even those 2 awful books are

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 14, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

There's still two more episodes where Syrio could be on the "previously on" opening, then Jaqen totally pulls his Jaqen face off and is all "It's-a me, Syrio!"

He will be watching her ship leave, then he will turn back and take of the Jacken mask for no reason and it will be Syrio with a smug smile and walk away. End of season

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 14, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

mossyfisk posted:

I did rather like the shooting of the battle even if the cg was a little rough.

But it was hard to appreciate with the whole thing being so stupid. Jon is a terrible general who no one should follow, and Sansa let thousands of men die by not telling anyone about the Vale army.

I guess Littlefinger can marry Sansa and declare himself Warden Of The North now? Not like anyone has an army to stop him.

You had to tune out everything that was stupid about it (and it was a big list) to enjoy that battle. I only partially managed it

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 20, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Max posted:

Is Warden of the North a title you can inherit? I thought that was an appointment made by the crown.

It was, I guess. But currently all titles in this show were changed to the "whoever killed the title holder gets the title" type of inheritance

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Max posted:

I know, it's just funny that they made a big stink about it in season 5 when Little Finger was appointed Warden of the North, and very little was made of that. Like, no ravens sent to other houses saying "No, the boltons are no longer the supreme authority in the North, stop following them."

That was just to try to make sense of LF giving Sansa to Ramsay