Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Man, I stumbled on this thread by accident and now I just had to dig up good ol' AP and give it another go.

My relationship with this game is kind of the same I had with KotoR 2, I finished both of them and I just had the niggling feeling that I was just not getting it. I felt like the game was great, but that I was missing something somewhere somehow.

For KotoR 2, Scorchy's LP took care of it, one of the first I read and in my eyes the greatest SSLP. For AP... My god is there a myriad of things that can happen. I'll have to read this thread rather closely I think.

(Also : I already plan to do a 2nd run with an rear end in a top hat Thornton possibly using only martial arts. What skills should I take with that ? Toughness and stealth ?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Thanks for the answers, I am currently using the bread and butter recruit pistol and stealth run just to get a feel for the game again. I have to say that the pistol is indeed incredibly overpowered. And not just because of the chainshot, just the improved critical shot levels are incredible, not only does it get good range and quick targeting, you can use it while hid behind cover, you don't even have to pop out anymore.

I just noticed the reflections on these glasses which have nothing at all to do with the surrounding environment. In Russia it shows some kind of lake surrounded by mountains, some covered with snow, some not...

My computer ate the screenshots somehow but if I remember it correctly, in Taipei it was another landscape that was more desert like, I look forward to seeing those in Rome.

What a strange thing to put onto these glasses.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 12, 2013

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

MrXmas posted:

It's not actually a reflection, it's the design on the sunglasses. Thorton just really likes landscapes.

He just wears them and escapes to his favorite dream world. But they have to be some high-tech spy glasses since the painted landscapes actually shift around depending on the angle at which you see the them !

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

ZombyDog posted:

My only gripe with assault rifles is that when you put a scope on one, the model has both the scope and a holosight which just looks weird.

This has always bugged me more that it probably should. I think most scopes look pretty stupid in this game but the first time I saw that they just put both on a gun I was really disappointed. I mean it wouldn't have been hard to just put the scope model on right ?

Also I just love the ending when you join Halbech so friggin much. I had completely forgotten about that one.

Sadly I accidentally skipped the credits and did not get the post game info about how everything turned out.

The thing I love the most in this game are the perks though. Even though they tend to be minor bonuses, you just get them for everything and nothing and that just makes it feel so much more like your own experience.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
If you have the stealth perk that let's you go invisible, just pop it as soon as he enters knife mode and go hide somewhere until he's back to his much more manageable self.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Unreal_One posted:

But... like the crouch walk animation, this is another case of an actual thing. Holographic/Reflex in front of magnifier is very common on assault rifles; heck, just google 3x Magnifier

Whelp you never stop learning.

I still maintain that in-game they look wonky as hell :colbert:

That might also be due to the strange color of the whole thing.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

RStar posted:

Good to see I'm not the only one who really enjoyed this game.

Wish it would have sold better so we could get a sequel.

I'm still hoping. I want to belieeve :ohdear:

Don Tacorleone posted:

edit: Finished it on Easy mode, if that matters. The combat is not great, and it kept detracting from the awesome story, so I restarted a few levels in to drop the difficulty. No regrets.

Also if you want really-easy-mode take the pistol and level that thing. It's just as overpowered as everyone says it is. I did my latest playthrough with it and it's pretty ridiculous.

Also where did you get that thing Hannibal, I need one too now.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
This thread just does not want to die, I love it :shobon:

monster on a stick posted:

Which reminds me, your second weapon should be rifles because they are good long-range weapons for when you need to reach out and touch someone far away, and the level designer or Steven Heck didn't leave you a sniper rifle.

Honestly, once you upgrade the pistol, the range for critical shots does go up quite a bit and you can actually shoot sniper without ever leaving cover.

Regarding the Walking Dead chat, I really think that it's more of an interactive movie as dumb as that sounds. I mean the puzzles are easy, the plot is pretty restrictive apart from a few key choices... Don't get me wrong though, it's still really great and I love it, the atmosphere and the way it gets you to care about your video game choices.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah as much as it makes the whole thing more gamey, I think it's important feedback that they might not have been able to convey otherwise. :shrug:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Comparing these games to MGS is actually quite an interesting choice. While the story in MGS games is obviously much more fixed and less flexible (Also more cut-scenes :v:), they tend to actually react even to small "useless" actions the player takes, and most of those actions are not really hinted at.

I do have to admit that I never actually played through them, having lived the vicariously through Chip and Ironicus' LPs but Chip did show of a lot of silly reactions the game has to what the player does, especially during their MGS3 LP.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

3Romeo posted:

but I really started getting into it when I realized how much poo poo I wasn't seeing--the end of Saudi was the first hint that my choices had some pretty major consequences.

In my opinion the most interesting thing about this game is that there are just as many choices you don't even necessarily realize you're making and the minor consequences they can have. They have thought of so many small things and even when you just get a small perk for it, it's insane realizing they thought of it :allears:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

2house2fly posted:

A few years down the line I think Alpha Protocol will be this gen's Deus Ex; any discussion of it will result in a bunch of people starting a new playthrough.

We're already a few years down the line and this thread is still going. Sadly the game never caught on with a big audience and I fear it will always remain an underrated niche classic.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Ginette Reno posted:

I plan to play him as the ultimate neckbeard fantasy. Im gonna aggressively hit on every girl and pick sarcastic and dumb responses whenever I can.

You doin' good :allears:

For extra fun watch the reflection in the glasses. It's a different landscape in each act and it never matches the surroundings. :eng101:

E: Disregard, that's for these glasses

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 31, 2014

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Crappy Jack posted:

Our Lord and Savior Avellone posted a link to a Kickstarter for a potential spy-themed game that looks to feature all the conversation and branching of AP, but replace the action sequences with a card game, which can only be more interesting than chain shotting pistols. On board is the writer for Deus Ex, the designer for KOTOR 2 and Mask of the Betrayer, and stretch goals include the hiring of the Deus Ex composer to do the music, and MCA himself as a creative consultant.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1591209713/sienna-storm

Looks interesting but I think I'll wait to see how it develops, the whole card/dialog system looks intriguing but strange, I'd like to have more concrete details on it before committing.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Tendronai posted:

Was it by any chance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf3q_hVEnIA&t=563s?

The entire video is pro-click, its a compilation of all the ways you can be a dick in conversations.

Holy poo poo at Maddison knocking the poo poo outta Thornton :magical:

Never had that happen. I really need to replay this and be the biggest rear end in a top hat ever.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Thoughtless posted:

So I started playing this totally blind except aware that goons love it and everyone else hates it, and I'm getting the feeling that pistols/tech might be slightly overpowered.

Chain shot -> everyone dies -> Brilliance -> Chain shot again. Even bosses go down instantly.

Stealth on the other hand I can't get to work. Enemies randomly zoom into my position even if I'm being quiet, sometimes I feel like they see me through walls.

Yes, pistols are op as gently caress. Just sitting in cover while waiting for the crit shot to line up and popping heads at dozens of meters distance is bad enough but chainshot turns it into something else.

Regarding stealth, just wait 'til you can turn completely invisible :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, I remember beating the game and thinking along lines of "Yeah, that was pretty good". Then I came back to it again for a second playthrough some time later and after that I realized that AP was one of my favorite games.

Same here, first time I played it I figured it was not a bad game but eh. Then I started seeing all the poo poo I did not see the first time round.

• Locked thread