Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Choadmaster posted:

No, you are doing it wrong. If you move the entire library folder, it's the exact same library.
Yeah, that's just it: they're not necessarily the same thing. It's the same assumption that makes the internal automated error correction in iTunes break things. Saying that you're doing it wrong when it's the method the program itself actually provides just highlights how badly thought-out the whole system is.

And while there is the consolidation method for moving the actual library around, it's really brittle and require you to follow the steps in the exact right order or you will end up with a wiped library and/or dupes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The reason copying the iTunes Library directory directly over works is because of the iTunes Library.itl file within which contains all the information about how your library is structured.
…but again, the point is that the method the program itself offers is something completely different from the method that works: its only setting is to point to a directory for the media files, which doesn't alter where the database is stored. In other words, the program itself only offers a highly fragile option and lacks the logic to deal with the many situations that this option will inevitably give rise to.

quote:

It sounds like you're just copying the music directory over and adding it to a fresh iTunes install, which is the incorrect way to do things.
Nope. Again, it's all about the media folder setting — a setting iTunes is very happy to nuke given the slightest excuse, and which requires all kinds of hoop-jumping to restore without creating dupes and/or a db wipe.

tl;dr: iTunes is an awful UI hack on top of an awful sql hack, news at 11.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

Will they also cover the story about how you're a dumb gently caress because then I can't wait to watch!

No, but there is this neat story about a mass-outbreak of projection that you should probably pay attention to.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

kode54 posted:

Maybe everyone else here missed the part where he said that none of the music is actually located inside of the iTunes folder, and is just strewn across his drive at random. In which case, good luck getting the itl file to match up with it when moving it to another machine, short of just mirroring the entire drive.

it's not even that bad. The media files aren't really “strewn about" but all sit nicely organised in a single directory structure managed by iTunes itself. But yes, the entire problem comes from that structure not existing outside of the iTunes folder on a separate volume. The head scratcher lies with the fact that iTunes itself suggests this separation between db and files, but then fails to account for some very obvious scenarios this gives rise to. And above all, you can no longer simply move the directory of you want to migrate the library.

But anyway, as mentioned, the iTunes threads is somewhere else — this was mainly a question of whether the version bundled with Yosemite had done away with this inconsistent behaviour.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 23, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

Yes. Apple has simply just overlooked the ability to move your library. Sons of bitches.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

You really do have a reading problem, don't you? Like I said, brittle and does not account for some very obvious scenarios.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

GregNorc posted:

Is there any free (preferably open source) software I can use to record a Skype call? I need to call Comcast and want a record of it.

Soundflower lets you set up all kinds of mixes and routings of various audio sources and output them to a virtual device that you can tell a recording program to use for its input. Here's a quick tutorial on how to set it up and use it with Quicktime for exactly that purpose.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

What kind of backwards telco market do you live in to have to pay for tethering as an added service? :gonk:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hmm…

Is there any neat way to quickly force OSX to reconnect to a wifi network it's already connected to?
The coverage here at home is, well let's just call it uneven, and while my macbook is happy enough to quietly switch to the n-part of the network when I go out on the balcony, it's not nearly as eager to switch back to ac when I go back in and get in range of that particular router.

Yes, in practice, turning wifi on and off again does it quickly enough, but it's just… inelegant.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kingnothing posted:

In the advanced section make AC the first network you try to connect to. Also make sure they have different names and make sure you have the latest 10.9 update as it helps address wifi connection issues.

I used that kind of setup before, but it tended to lead to the opposite problem: the mac would for whatever reason desperately cling to the last shreds of ac signal rather than switch over to n so I'd get more connection errors. That was the reason I switched to a single SSID: at least then it stages down properly. Just like now (but in the opposite direction) the signal was apparently juuust good enough not to trigger a switch-over even though it would be beneficial to do so.

Ah well, a quick on-off sequence is still better than having to manually switch networks just because OSX is stubborn and clingy. :haw:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lawen posted:

You could probably write a tiny shell script that just does "ifconfig en1 down && ifconfig en1 up" and make that a shortcut in your dock (or alfred or launchbar or whatever) and use that to up/down wifi with a single click.

Why do I keep forgetting that things like automator and services exist. :suicide:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Really, the question is how well-abstracted are fusion drives?

If it were any other drive, you could just remove the offending bits and resize the Macintosh HD partition, right in Disk Utility. Is there anything in the way fusion drives are handled or in how Disk Utility works that makes the abstraction of it just being one large drive break down?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Djimi posted:

That's convenient and intuitive. Why would this change?

Probably because iBooks can have active content, and Mavericks really likes to sandbox those kinds of things — especially if they come from an official source (hence why you find them in the Containers directory).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Forget iTunes, Safari doesn't do that either and it's the #1 reason I'm still on Chrome. Why yes, I'd rather have cmd+1 open a bookmark, what else should it do?

That's the best feature of Safari and the reason that I went for it after Opera imploded. It means it actually implements a proper Opera-style speed-dial unlike, oh, everything else out there (including Opera).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

flavor posted:

Yeah, if those turn themselves off automatically without any warning when you upgrade to developer releases of the OS and browser. Very intelligent comment from you.

I also like the inevitable victim blaming. "Well a website is just as good as the app store, as long as you use these 500 extra protections and make sure they're never off. You asked for it. Jesus."
…which, of course, he didn't say. The only one that even hinted at anything resembling such a claim is you.

He expressed surprise that anyone would surf without ad blockers, which is an entirely reasonable reaction. And as always, it's very good practice to separate your every-day use and production machine from your experimental and development environment.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I'm actually hoping we'll see TouchID integrated into MBPs and Apple keyboards soon.

It feels like it's bound to happen with their current move towards Pay and increased store and security integration. As long as it works better than those useless slit-scan print readers we've seen on laptops for the last decade (and Touch ID certainly has done that so far), it would make a ton of things easier on both desktops and laptops.

If nothing else, TouchID makes it worth-while to actually turn all the security features on, because it removes almost all the hassel of identifying yourself and get back into action if you've been contemplating for too long and now the screen saver kicked in…

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How do I make a bootable installation disk for Yosemite?
  • Download Yosemite from the Mac App Store on any compatible Mac.
  • Format a USB drive with Disk Utility with the default volume name of "Untitled"
  • Open Terminal and run this command:
    code:
    [omg page breakage]
  • Wait a bit (can be up to 30 minutes on a slow USB drive) until the Terminal output states that the process is finished.
This can be used for clean installations or in-place upgrades.

It'll require the now-standard 8GB drive, I presume? I might have to pick one up on my way back from work.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

So far so good. It looks like the only real bummer for me is that Glims has yet to be updated for Yosemite, but on the machine I updated, browsing is a minor concern anyway so I'll live… for a while.

Hope it does get an update soon, though, because Safari without Glims is just pure misery. :ohdear:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Boatswain posted:

I am retarded but would these instructions work for a clean Yosemite install?

If they had massively changed the procedure from how it has worked for ages, we'd know by now. So yes, it should work.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Axiem posted:

So, since glims apparently doesn't work in Yosemite, and hasn't been updated for a year, I'm questioning whether or not it's still being maintained. Is there a replacement plugin that'll give me keyword search, favicons on tabs, and multiple undo-close-tab?

Haven't found one, and I'm hoping to see some glimmer of life from the developer before switching to some other solution. I seem to recall that the updates were very sporadic in the past too, but they responded fairly quickly to Mavericks when it came out.
I was so used to all of that working from Opera and then Glims that I didn't even notice how much I used it until I my other machine. :(

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 18, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

Safari 8 is amazing. I hope this information helps you.

It doesn't seem to have search engine editing, in-menu bookmark management, or any real tab goodies. Amazingness greatly diminished. :(

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

There is a safari extension that lets you do searches with a huge number of (pre defined) search engines by typing some letters in front of the search, e.g. "gi butts" to search Google images for butt pics.

It's called "Instant Search".

Yeah, I looked at that. The “pre-defined” is the problematic part.
Tbh, I think there are enough various extensions out there to get most of the functionality back — it's more that Glims had so much goodness in a neat package.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Axiem posted:

It may be a failure of searching on my part, but is there an extension that will give me back unlimited undo-close-tab? That's the feature I miss most from Glims.

I know that I came across one a while back when I tried to debug a (presumed) glims issue that turned out to be me being stupid. Since that problem (well… parts of it) took care of itself, I can't for the life of me remember what the extension was.

So yes, there is, but sorry no, I just can't find it again. :eng99:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Even on Windows, Anti-virus has been snake oil for many years now. On OSX, it's fake snake oil made from artificial ferrets.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Anything that gets rid of the Office 2011 UI will be an improvement at this point. It would have looked out of date in Jaguar, never mind how OSX has looked in the last half decade. I rather like how it looks on Windows currently, and if that look carried over to 2015, it would probably mesh fairly well with Yosemite (not to mention it would get rid of that horrid tool inspector widget… brrr…).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are they still doing that annual subscription poo poo with office 365?

Because if so gently caress that forever. I don't care if it's cheaper in the long run, I just have a major dislike for subscription based setups for something as core to my life as word processing. I fully grant that this isn't a super-logical stance and really don't care.

Yes they are and yes you're not logical (but you can still get the core programs without it). :v:

Although I suppose the value of it will vary with how many (and what kinds of) machines you want to use. Compared to how much MS would try to extort me in the past for the four machines I use, to say nothing of the mobile platforms, it's an absolute bargain. The extra online storage comes in handy as well.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Still, it's always interesting to see the minute details that can become a stumbling block for upgrading. I'm still on Mavericks on my every-day usage machine only because of the Glims issue, and while I readily recognise that to be quite silly, the inertia from either having to live without the functionality or having to scour the net to cobble together something similar from other extensions (or, gulp, migrate to a new browser!?) is enough to hold me back.

:iiam:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

As an added bonus, there are lots of reports of activation errors with the new Outlook, so make sure to keep an installer for 2011 at hand.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tippis posted:

As an added bonus, there are lots of reports of activation errors with the new Outlook, so make sure to keep an installer for 2011 at hand.

As a follow-up to this. Someone screwed up in silly ways.

Apparently, setting your locale to US will make the activation go through. So if you've made any custom changes to currency or number forms, make note of those before trying to go through with the activation.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

wdarkk posted:

If that's an iDevice it's probably movies you were watching via sharing. For some reason this causes the iDevice to store the entire movie on itself and not delete it once you're done.

In addition to this, I've also seen apps make use of their own home-grown storage solutions that allocate space without reporting it back properly to either iOS or iTunes. Granted, it was a while ago since I saw that behaviour categorised as “other” — these days, it tends to just show up as app data, and you can (try to) track down the offending app in the usage screen.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Oh hey Outlook 2014 doesn't support Lion+ native fullscreen? What the gently caress.

Maybe Microsoft is running away from the Win8 app:ification design so fast that they forget that just plain old fullscreen is still occasionally used. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lawen posted:

I use Subler and don't have any major complaints.

Seconding Subler for many things (subs, among them, obviously). I also make heavy use of iDentify (2) if it's just for mass processing of tags.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

FordPRefectLL posted:

I'm a pretty new Mac user so I'm used to how Windows does things. When upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite, should I back everything up and do a clean install or is the upgrade install sufficient in most cases?

You should back everything up regardless, but there's very rarely any reason to to a clean install unless you have some serious settings disaster going on.

I have machines that have been upgraded from 10.4 all the way up to 10.10, and then downgrade again because the hardware wasn't quite up to snuff for the newer versions, but the software was never an issue.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

dik-dik posted:

Is there anything mplayerX does that VLC can't do?

Load quickly and unobtrusively and auto-detect the next file in a series.

…and that's about it. Those three are pretty handy features, though.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Butt Savage posted:

Well that's a major loving blow. As much as I love Evernote (I use it to collect info and simple note-taking), it's just not fun to use when I want to do larger, more complex projects that OneNote can handle. And because of that I've been looking into a tag system to use with it, but it looks like we're in a bit of a bind here in that regard.

Another word of warning about Evernote is that they have a slightly cavalier attitude to other people's workflows and data sorting. Look up the absolute rear end they made of the recent update of the Penultimate app, which left people's data and documents in tatters because the Evernote devs thought it would be a good idea to enforce “the right way” of doing notes. Every system that Penultimate users had built for themselves over the last four years was discarded without consideration. Even after a week of them bleeding customers profusely, they still only restored a minute amount of basic features, while still crowing on about how their notebook concept was the one true system for organising them.

And yes, large complex projects was definitely one of those things that they took a .50" machinegun to when it came to their customer's notes. It would have almost been funny to look at the train wreck if it wasn't for how much data they just up and destroyed.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

politicorific posted:

Is yosemite just laggy on all MacBooks?

I have a MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014), 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 128GB SSD and Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB.
running Yosemite 10.10.1 (14B25).

No, not all — it'll just depend on your hardware level. I've got a mid-2013 11" Air, and Yosemite is flying along. Granted, it has a better processor and (more importantly) twice the memory, and I can't say that I've noticed any real slowdowns or additional lag in 10.10.

There have been some stories to suggest that the memory footprint has been slowly creeping upwards since about 10.7 or so, with Mavericks and Yosemite making the leap in (practical) requirements even larger than previous versions, so if I were to guess just based on hardware, I'd say it's probably that.

Also, transparency, as mentioned (but again, I can't say that it has made any difference on my machine).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is anyone else no longer able to Copy/Paste between folders in Finder anymore on Yosemite?

I used to be able to just CMD C/CMD V between folders, now I have to drag. It's SUPER annoying.

Also, since the latest update I keep getting Popups asking if I want to allow Programs to Connect online, even after I've given them permission on my firewall. Anyone else getting this??

Yosemite yer a loving hunk of crap.

The first one is something that's wrong with your setup, not something that has changed in the OS.
The second one happens with certain programs (I have it with Steam, for instance), most likely because they use an initial launcher process where one executable kicks off another one, and the problems with those kinds of programs and the firewall has existed for yonks.

So no, it's really not, because neither of your issues are caused by Yosemite.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ugh.

Has anyone heard anything to indicate that Apple is looking into the bug in Yosemite where discoveryd keeps waking up the computer to rebroadcast and/or update discovery data in spite of that data being 100% worthless to everyone involved?

I've scoured the web to keep it from doing so and the “best” one so far includes crippling discoveryd to the point where it no longer discovers things like Airports, Mac shares, and the other stuff you'd probably want to access over your LAN. I've also seen a slightly hackish solution where a new service to detect sleeps and wakes and toggle discoveryd on or off accordingly, but it doesn't seem to be very robust.

It would just be so very nice if my Mac could sleep until I wake it liked it used to, rather than have these silly (and obviously bugged) ideas of its own.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

To be fair, the latest Outlook for Mac has actually graduated to being not entirely awful.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

dexter6 posted:

What version is this?

15.3, which is the first program out the door of the “Office 2015” update that is due for a spring release. Outlook just came out a bit earlier.

This article offers some good points on what works and what doesn't, and hopefully some of the non-working stuff might be updated as the full 2015 package gets released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dante posted:

So flash version 16 just refuses to download entirely on my mac, always hanging at 33% in the installation process. Does anyone have a direct download link instead?

You mean for the offline/distributable version? They should all be here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

They talk a lot about having to have a distributable license, but I have no idea where, when (and if) that actually comes into play — I've been able to install from those packages, but I also have a CC license that might just let me do that anyway.