Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

How many of you start with a fresh install when you upgraded to Lion? I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to just upgrade, use migration assistant, or just go completely fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

modig posted:

Does anybody have a good Google Reader/Mac/iPhone RSS reader solution? I've been using Newsfire for a few months on my MBA, and I find it helps me waste less time checking websites for updates. I just want something like that that uses google reader to sync read status between my home and work macs and my iphone. Bonus points if it can automatically download full articles into the feed even if the feed tries to give you just a snippet. I'm happy to pay, I just don't want to pay for a crappy solution.

I don't like the google reader website interface, it's too busy.

Reeder for Mac/iPhone/iPad. Best in class.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there any way to move Time Machine backup folders from one computer's time machine folder to another computer's folder?

OS X tells me backup files can't be modified. I'm just trying to get my old MBA's time machine backups onto my new MBA (I didn't restore from a Time Machine backup, I started fresh and when I turned Time Machine on, it created a new backup folder)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

x-virge posted:

You can copy the entire Backups.backupd instead of just portions from inside it.

Both Time Machine backups are in the same Bckups.backupd folder:

When I Enter Time Machine, it only lets me go back to the backups in the "Corbet's MBA" folder.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mikey-San posted:

(You should read my reply to both you and x-virge, btw.)

You can use the Time Machine UI to browse the other backups in that backup store ("Backups.backupd" folder) by opening the TM menu, holding option, and choosing "Browse Other Backup Disks". (It says disks but means more.) You should see the other machine's backups in the window that appears.

However, you can't duplicate the old machine's backup in place; that is, you can't make a copy of "MacBook Air" in the same Backups.backupdb folder, because you can't modify that part of the backup in that way. If that's what you want to do, please file an enhancement request. (bugreport.apple.com)

Do I have that right? Is that what you wanted to do?

Thanks for all your help. That's exactly what I wanted to do, make new backups in the old folder when all my older backups. Being able to option select the disk will suffice for now. I doubt I'll really need anything from the old backups.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is anyone surprised about how much like enjoy fullscreen implementation on Lion? I've always been a big proponent of carefully organized windows on one display, but I really like being able to three finger swipe between different apps/desktops.

Now we just have to wait until all apps implement a full screen function.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Nall posted:

I can't recommend this enough if you like full screen: http://chpwn.com/apps/maximizer.html

It's a SIMBL plugin that adds full screen support to everything. As far as I can tell the full screening is completely proper too, and both looks and behaves the way you would expect.

Very cool, thanks for the heads up.

I've got a question - I have two smb networked hard drives that I have in the startup area of my system preferences so my mac automatically mounts them. One annoyance is the fact that it also brings up a finder window for each networked drive.

Is there any way to prevent the networked drives from popping up in finder and only make them mount automatically?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't see iCloud being a viable use for my music needs considering I can't stream from a web interface or even an installed copy of iTunes on a work computer, for example.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is anyone else using the "dev" build of Google Chrome (14.0+)? They implemented two-finger swipes to go back and forward on pages and it's extremely annoying without the awesome animation used in Safari. I can't even scroll around a large picture without it taking me back a page.

Oh well, that's the price I pay for using early beta software.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anyone know of a mac app that can strip subtitles from mkv files? I know mkvtoolnix can do it with the mkvmerge function but I want something with a GUI that's simple to use.

Any ideas?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

chimz posted:

Or reformat your drive into something that OS X supports natively, like ExFAT or FAT or just HFS+.

I really wish devices like TVs/Media Centers/Routers supported ExFAT already. I'm sick of dealing with formatting issues every time I want to attach my HFS+ formatted drive to something.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Anandtech says the upgrade is worth it and some benchmarks show it's over 20% faster.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4554/apples-11inch-macbook-air-core-i7-18ghz-review-update/2

22% increase when you compare the 11" i5 vs. i7. The 13's performance increase from i5 to i7 is only about 8%.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm looking to format an External Hard drive as NTFS. I have Paragon NTFS and I noticed in Disk Utility that it gives me two NFTS formatting options - NTFS Compressed and NTFS.

Is there any reason why I'd want to format my drive as compressed over uncompressed?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I really wish Apple would allow network drives to automatically mount when you connect to a network. I have an Airport Extreme with 3 externals attached and when I add them to the "Login Items" area in the System Preferences, I always end up with 2-3 duplicates of every drive.

Any advice on fixing this?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Terpfen posted:

I had to experiment to get what you meant here. Turns out it's a five finger pinch outward. Thanks for the notice, I didn't know they remapped the gesture. Finally, I can see the desktop again!

It's actually three fingers + thumb.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Something running on my MacBook Air is preventing it from going to sleep. My energy saver preferences are set to display turning off after one minute and the computer fully going to sleep after 5 minutes.

Is there any way to find out what app is causing this? I'd really just like the display to turn off at the very least.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there any way to prevent duplicate network drives from showing up on my desktop when I start my computer?

This is annoying:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I have a few external harddrives hooked up to an Airport Extreme, I mount them through my MacBook Air. Lately it seems like the drives are randomly disconnecting from my MacBook Air for no reason - any idea why? Any way to prevent this?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Are the drives hooked up to a powered USB hub which is then hooked into the AEBS USB port?

Are they all HFS Extended / FAT16 / FAT32 / NTFS in GUID Partition format?

The USB hub is not powered but 3 out of the 4 drives are not USB powered.

All formatted as HFS extended.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My university's wifi won't let me access the network unless I have a compatible version of OS X. Sadly, Mavericks beta is not considered a compatible version of OS X.

Would changing the OSX version in my SystemVersion.plist file work?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple's own iOS apps in Mojave suck, but I certainly like having the option to run iOS apps within macOS. Hopefully Apple gives developers the right APIs for better integration - they certainly have a decent track record with iOS.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 20, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm sure there's a third party equivalent for Windows, but I really love macOS's multiple desktops and gestures. That, alone, makes windows management better.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You guys ever use Dropzone?
https://aptonic.com

I was looking for an easy way to quickly upload images to imgur and came across it.

It can also:
  • Send to Bitly/Google Drive/Airdrop/Messages/YouTube/Twitter
  • Automatically mount, install, unmount, and delete and .dmg file
  • Open Terminal and CD to any folder I drag to it
  • Move/Copy files to specific folders

I can't believe how often I'm using this thing. It's pretty great.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 3, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've used Sling, Vue, and YouTube TV, and YouTube TV has been the only thing that's stuck - we're able to share the family account with some friends love the unlimited cloud DVR storage, and the interface is definitely better than the other two.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm looking for a way to have OSX automatically reconnect to a AFP or SMB drive whenever I reconnect to my home wifi address - I'm honestly kinda surprised something like this isn't already baked into the OS. Does anybody know of an up to date program that can do this? Most of the solutions I've found were abandonware.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Luceo posted:

:stare: How did I never know about this? :stare:

You can do this with Alfred too.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

Hello macOS brain trust. Long-time mac person here -- started on a IIe at school ("10 PRINT FART / 20 GOTO 10"), my first computer was a PowerPC, and my main machine is a 2013 rMBP which is still an excellent machine. I also have a Watch and airpods. However my last actual computer purchase was a Pixelbook and I just replaced my aging iPhone with an Android device. It's not macOS -- still love that. It's Apple's crufty cloud/services side. I HATE iTunes and find iCloud very underwhelming compared to Google's offerings. And Google Assistant is actually becoming pretty useful. Lastly having to pay a premium for the hardware AND having said hardware tied so closely to crufty software/services was the last straw. I still love Apple but I'm not sure the next time I will buy an iPhone and will probably only use Macs that are paid for through work. Anyone else feeling the same way?

I use both cloud services pretty interchangeably on my iPhone XS and pay Google One and 50 gigs of iCloud storage. I haven't used iTunes in 10+ years at this point, and iCloud does what I need it to do - provide easy access to back-ups and restores, quickly sync photos/contacts/calendar between my MacBook, and access my iMessages from anywhere. Google's services might be a little better, but Apple's are "good enough", and they've gotten a lot better about creating nostalgic photo albums and and all that other crap Google/Facebook excel at.

I prefer supporting an ecosystem where app developers can earn a living making paid apps that function well and aren't full of ads or selling your information - Android piracy is so rampant, developers are forced to plaster their apps with ads to make any money.
At the end of the day, "it just works" integration between my MacBook and iPhone are what keep me in the ecosystem. Shortcuts are another recent game-changer that Android lacks - it's amazing how powerful some of the Shortcuts the iOS community has come up with.

I'm pretty jealous of the Pixel's camera, though. Eventually I'll pick one up for work related reasons.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Violator posted:

Anyone prefer either Alfred 3 or Launchbar? I used Quicksilver years and years ago but switched to regular Spotlight when it got fast enough in like 10.9 or whatever it was. But I do a lot of repetitive file moving, copying, browsing, etc. and looking at these launcher feature sets it looks like they might be a nice improvement to my workflow.

Edit: Trying Alfred and wow is it fast and the preferences are super vast.

Alfred Powerpack with custom workflows are pretty great, but you have to be a little more conscious of how you search for things. I google/amazon/ebay/imdb/wikipedia search right from Alfred.

Also holy crap, I went all-in with Better Touch Tool GoldenChaos Pack (will a few adjustments), and I can't believe how much more useful my TouchBar is now.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 10, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Still dealing with this issue, anyone have ideas?

Can you take your dongles/cable to an Apple store and have them try it out?

What brands of cables/dongles? Did you confirm from reviews that they have will output at 4k/60hz with a MacBook Pro?

Otherwise, there are some suggestions on this MacRumors thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cannot-get-4k-60hz-on-2018-mbpr.2161120/

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 23, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

I got my new MBP today. I use notepad++ a ton at work and at home. Any recommended OSX equivalents?

I would try VS Code, Atom, or SublimeText in that order. They may be too feature-rich to be a true Notepad++ alternative, though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I try and exclusively use Safari because it saves so much battery on my MacBook Pro, but it's hard to avoid the Chrome ecosystem, especially as somebody with work/university-specific extensions. I got sick of what a resource hog Chrome is, so I tried out a new Chromium project that emphasizes privacy and speed called Brave browser (https://brave.com).

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it - it seems noticeably snappier than Chrome, it's supposed to use 30-50% less CPU/RAM than Chrome, and I can still install any Chrome extensions. Their privacy mode even offers TOR functionality.

It feels pretty good to have Chrome uninstalled for the first time in 10 years.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

XBenedict posted:

Dropzone and Alfred are both necessary QOL software.

These are my essentials:

Alfred
AutoMounter
Bartender
BetterTouchTool
Dropzone
GoldenChaos-BTT
Karabiner

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Benchmark of opening large files in macOS text editors:

https://birchtree.me/blog/how-long-to-the-major-macos-text-editors-take-to-open-huge-files/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Pivo posted:

Sublime and VS Code are definitely the wrong editors to use to load up 1.5 GB CSV files. Why even pretend this is relevant?

If the user benchmarked a 1.5 GB HTML or Python file, do you think the results would be any different? CSV extensions in VS Code and Sublime are incredibly popular.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've jumped around from Dropbox to OneDrive to Google Drive and at this point, I've consolidated down to iCloud after committing to spending $3 a month for 200GB of space. My biggest complaint with iCloud are:

1) You need a third party app like https://github.com/Obbut/iCloud-Control to get more precise control over local copies (not a big deal if you have a large hard drive, but Apple's base 128 GB doesn't go far)

2) You can't view and edit many types files from within iCloud.com's web UI

iCloud.com seems like the most glaring issue, but stuff like this takes a long time to fully implement and I'm sure they'll make more improvements.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

eames posted:

I'm just looking to use Windows and Linux on an older (2015) MBP for some edge cases where brew doesn't have what I want. USB/serial devices that need updating and only offer .exe files, etc. Bootcamp is too much. Is Parallels any better? I remember reading that they were acquired by Corel.

Parallels is fine, but you're essentially paying for a yearly sub at this point because you won't get any support for any future macOS updates after the first year.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I just signed up for 6 months of Apple Music for free as a student, mainly because I really wanted to mess with Shortcuts that trigger specific songs and playlists, so I guess I'll try it.

I've been a premium Spotify user since day 1, but their lack of support for new iOS features like Shortcuts and WatchOS is really frustrating.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

XBenedict posted:

I mean, congratulations to Apple for catching up to 2010, but Apple Music still lacks decent discovery, decent curation, and better than cassette sound quality.

256 kbps AAC is better than 320 kbps Ogg Vorbis on Spotify.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It sounds like Apple might knock it out of the park on Tuesday:

• iPhone and iPad Updates
  • Apple Watch Refresh/Update (OLED display, titanium and ceramic options, sleep tracking, better battery life)
  • iMac Update (Minor speed bumps?)
  • 16" MacBook Pro Refresh
  • AirPods 3 Refresh (Noise Cancelling)
  • Apple TV update (New Remote?! Pack-in Controller? Game-focused with Apple Arcade)
  • "Tile" tracking devices (with AR support - point your phone to where the tile is and it shows a digital balloon attached to the tile. I'd love to put one of these things on my dog's collar)
  • Some sort of "one more thing" AR/VR device?

Did I miss anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Tippis posted:

It would be neat if they managed to make an elegant iPhone again at some point…

…and working keyboards.

The iPhone X is the best designed iPhone since the iPhone 4S. Stainless steel with no unsightly plastic antenna lines.

iPhone 5: Chamfered edges that looked nice but got scuffed up even if you had it in a case. Didn't love the two-toned black.
iPhone 6/7/8: soft aluminum that easily got dinged up, ugly antennas

I guess I just really like the feeling of stainless steel and glass.

American McGay posted:

The only "knock it out of the park" thing in this list is the new 16" MacBook.

I've been holding out on high quality wireless noise cancelling headphones for a few years now.

The Apple Watch's updates have been substantial enough every year, just like the iPhone used to be (I know the Apple Watch isn't for everybody).

I'm afraid Apple's tiles will be too expensive, but it seems like a no-brainer to throw one of them into a suitcase, wallet, keys, dog collar, etc. Tile sucks and it sounds like Apple's high frequency wireless beacons is going to make our devices all but impossible to lose, even if the battery dies.

Tippis posted:

Size and Face ID, most notably — they've grown large and clumsy, and need to be waved around a lot for tasks that could previously be done while the phone was just sitting on the table. A few more iterations and they'll be about as subtle as a DynaTAC. :D

Well, if the rumors are true, next year's smaller sized iPhone X/Pro will be 5.4" instead of 5.8", and we might see a reduced front camera module (and Touch ID in the display). You won't be getting any phone smaller than that from any other maker. They're also saying this year's Face ID will work from a far better angle, too.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 7, 2019