Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If any of the stuff you want to do will take several minutes of a sustained high load to complete, require a better/more color-accurate screen, or require being able to use multiple external displays when docked, get a Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

anothergod posted:

The reason to get an M2 Macbook Air over the original is you're rich and vain.

Also, anyone w/ the M2 Macbook Air thinking about doing the thermal pad mods?

No, and I don't see a reason why I would want to, tbh. I'm not doing anything that requires a sustained, high-load. And I use it primarily unplugged, so that mod would make it uncomfortable to use with the extra heat going to the chassis if I ever did that kind of work load.

And, really, I would have just gotten something with an actual fan if that kind of thing was needed. It cools good enough for my light development work, video watching, and general browser stuff.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

anothergod posted:

How hot do the thermal pads make the bottom?

I haven't seen any numbers, but, again, unless you are doing something that requires the machine to run nearly full speed for several consecutive minutes, you won't see any noticeable benefits of thermal pads.

Hell, right now, I just have my M2 Air running in low-power mode 24/7 for extra battery life because nothing I am currently doing is requiring high performance. Closest thing is running some static site generators, and even that only takes 2 minutes at the high end and there is no throttling whether I'm in low-power or normal mode.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I went for the Air because I wanted the more portable design (I never plan on docking this or using it while attached to a power source, like ever) and that it is fanless. Being able to use it without any noise other than my typing and touch pad clicking is wonderful. I will be using headphones if I need sound out of it so the headphone jack has me covered. The only thing I really miss from not getting the Pro is the better screen.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I like my special, expensive keyboards because they help prevent or slowdown the onset of RSI and also make it more comfortable to navigate around documents with their unique layouts.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

LionArcher posted:

Jokes aside it was actually diving into the Keyboard world that solved my RSI issues. But yes. The current trend is 65% keyboards that are expensive, and then buying a macro pad that’s also expensive to make up for the keys you lost, because it’s both aesthetically more pleasing and people have “small desks” lol.

Yeah, me, too. Now my joint pain has remained the same over the last 10+ years instead of progressively getting worse. lol

I only like 65% keyboards when I travel and need a better-than-laptop keyboard with me. I don't like my wrist placement with them for long-term use. I'm currently super excited for the Kinesis Advantage 360 Professional. Basically my favorite keyboard layout but with fully split modules, tenting, and wireless. Literally the only thing it doesn't have on my wishlist is swappable switches.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MarcusSA posted:

So I’m guessing the M2 pro doesn’t have the speed “issue”?

No, because it starts at 512 GB storage, side-stepping the issue.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

god this blows posted:

So I start a new job with a new company next week and I’ll be getting a 16” M1 MacBook Pro. I’ve always used a windows pc so I know there will be some getting used to. What would be the best headset to get? Any other pointers to keep in mind. Several years ago I did do a hackintosh and it was fairly easy to use and my wife had been using a Mac for years at her job.

If mic quality matters to you, get something wired. Generally, the cheapest wired headset has better recording quality than any wireless headset.

Also, get the most comfortable headset for you. Make sure wherever you buy from has a generous return policy because a lot of headset qualities are very subjective. If something doesn't immediately grab you when you wear it or listen to it, return it for something else.

If you need to hear stuff going on around you, get something that is "open back".

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

mediaphage posted:

this is only true at certain price points imo

I mean, there are $30 earbuds that make subjectively better voice recordings than the Airpods Max.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUOQzZ3mo2g&t=555s

E: the prices in that video are in Aussie dollars

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 22, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SlowBloke posted:

I think rosetta doesn't have access to the full gamut of the M1 chip video encode/decode ISP so maybe it's doing the decode via software?

If it was doing software, I think there wouldn't be any glitches, but far greater power consumption. It is likely trying to leverage the M1 hardware acceleration but not quite mapping things correctly.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Doesn't the MBA limit you to just one external monitor no matter what, though? Or is that only a limitation for the M1 and M2 MBAs?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

American McGay posted:

1440 at 27" is uncomfortably large. 1080 probably looks like a drat Junebug phone.

I have to increase text size on 1440p at 27". Text is way too small at that dpi for me from about 2.5 feet away

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I even made the text larger on my MBA because it was too small for me. lol

Like, I could read the text but it was causing strain, so I adjusted it to be one step larger. Works much better for me, now!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't go to the office, but I do use a Vera Bradley laptop bag when I bring the MBA out the house. Only two pockets but it's more than enough for me. I only really need to bring the laptop and maybe the charger, after all.

E: one of these: https://verabradley.com/products/laptop-organizer-28906i95?variant=39647371755564

Kibner fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 16, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Depending on how many large assets you need, 512GB may be enough storage. To me, 16/512 or 24/1TB make the most sense for most users.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Why was it one of his biggest regrets?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Data Graham posted:

I mean look at the size of it

I mean, it's a CRT.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Which version of Mac? The latency depends on which version of Bluetooth each device is using.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

AlternateAccount posted:

I am far, far too old to stare down at a screen that way.

It can output to a display over USB-C, is compatible with a bunch of existing docks, and supports bluetooth controllers, so it is super easy to hook up to your existing setup.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I only hopped in because of the insane battery life of the Mx laptops combined with their ability to do light development work extremely well. If they didn't exist, I would have had no problem on buying the Windows laptop with the best battery life and installing some Arch-based distro on it.

And, after using MacOS for a couple months now, I think I'd prefer the Arch-based distro. MacOS is still better than Windows for me because it is *Nix-based and that just has so many advantages for my development work that I bought a laptop for in the first place.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m not paying money a second time for a game I already own just because someone decided to poo poo all over the original art and call it a new game. I’ve seen footage. The original is superior.

It has a toggle to use the original graphics.

E: and playing with a controller is fun. The new rune words, skill balancing, bug fixes, QoL improvements, and new items and events are also cool

It's honestly one of the best remasters I have seen.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 24, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I liked the suggestion I read in this thread a short while ago: if you have kids or take the laptop out of the house, get the warranty.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SlowBloke posted:

M1/2 supports dual monitors (mini can do hdmi out plus one other), more than that is m1 pro or higher territory.

The Mx Air only support a single external display. The second monitor would be the laptop display.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SlowBloke posted:

The op said that he wanted a mini and dual display wasn't an option so i wanted to dispel that misconception as a mini can do dual displays(hdmi plus one usbc).

ahh, my bad for the misread

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ok Comboomer posted:

in a big bed, with my wife

I do this, too, but with my Steam Deck running games either natively or streaming them from the PC in the other room. :v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tayter Swift posted:

Wow, I bought a Mac Studio last month and wrote off games entirely after CK3 ran like such crap, but Hades runs great. What the hell, Paradox?

(e: Oh huh, they added Vulkan rendering this week. I don't know what that is but CK3 runs much better now.)

Vulkan is a graphics API like DirectX, Metal, and OpenGL. It's what developers use to tell the computer what/how to render graphics.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah I get that much, I'd just never heard of it. Only OpenGL, DX and Metal. And that old rear end one for the Voodoo cards, Glide or whatever.

It is basically the dx12-equivalent successor to OpenGL. It's not particularly widespread for similar and more reasons as dx12 (when compared to dx11) but, in general, it allows easier, lower level access to the hardware.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

actionjackson posted:

OMG THIS THING IS SO BEAUTIFUL

fyi, I enabled the "low power mode" option and the thing is still fast enough to not warrant me ever turning that option back off. It's free battery life! :v:

Kibner fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 8, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

actionjackson posted:

lol

so I could use this m2 air on battery for several hours each day for... a long time? not doing anything fancy, just watching some video and internet browsing. i think the battery only goes down to 90% or so. so if I did that every day, that would take ten days for one cycle.

I get about 8-10 hours of streaming video on a single charge with my m2.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Every monitor is different, even ones with the same panel. You will need to use a colorimeter like this one to make them match: Calibrite ColorChecker Display (CCDIS) https://a.co/d/hnv0fgt

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

actionjackson posted:

what if I just select the color LCD profile for the external display? or use the display calibrator assistant? I gave that a shot but didn't seem to make a huge change, so I went back to the default which is 45 brightness, 70 contrast.

one difference i notice is that the greyish blue boxes on the forums are a bit darker on the m2 display, but I increased the gamma which helped

You can try using this, but your browser will have to support the right color space and you will have to rely on your human eyes, which are notoriously inaccurate: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

E: also, it's best to change the settings on your monitor itself in hardware before relying on software color profiles

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
And there are several having monitors with great color accuracy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Lord Bude posted:

maybe I’m just not sensitive to input delay, I’ve never noticed a difference on any monitor I’ve ever owned. I will always take resolution over framerate, but I know there are plenty of people who value frame rates and input latency, and it comes down to what you do with the monitor and personal preference. We were all very happily playing fast paced FPS games for years at 60fps before high referesh rates started becoming the new big thing. I don’t think it’s reasonable to flat out say you can’t buy a studio display if you play games as that other poster did.

We were not. I was lamenting from day 1 not being able to play at at least 85hz like my old crt because I sure as hell noticed a difference in input response time and pixel response time. It took over 15 years to get something close enough that didn't remind me everyday about how crappy lcd screens are. They are still bad, but at least tolerable in most instances now.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Even right now, I clearly notice the refresh rate difference between my 4-year old high-refresh rate desktop monitor and the 60hz one for the M2A. It is a big enough difference to be a bit jarring to me every time I switch. And that is just with moving the mouse cursor and scrolling pages or really, anything with motion that updates with the screen refresh rate.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

actionjackson posted:

has anyone used the wool felt mousepads or deskpads like grovemade makes? not sure if the magic mouse will work well on them or not.

i mainly want something that actually looks nice, and is a bit more comfortable on my wrist than a hard destk surface.

Want a mouse or mouse accessory that looks nice? Here you go: https://lunarartefacts.com/collections/mouse-pads

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Lord Bude posted:

Apple gave you iTunes for windows so quite frankly I think we gave better than we got.

iTunes on Windows XP is what had me swear off Apple everything for a long time. It erased my library twice while I was trying to move songs onto my iPod.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Lord Bude posted:

Yea it was kinda instrumental in me being very anti Apple in my youth. I went through a godawful windows mobile 6.1 phone (htc touch hd), 2 Samsung androids, and then 2 Nokia windows phone 8 and windows phone 8.5 phones before I finally bought my first apple product with the 6S plus.

I'm still partial to Android phones because drag & drop still feels better to me than any kind of sync program. Those worries are still with me today.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zil posted:

Okay, so hopefully this question won't start a fight this time, but does anyone have any recommendations on mac supported mechanical keyboards (brown switches preferred) or mice? Most of the functions work on the the ones I am using currently, but just little features that I am missing that make using what I previously used on windows annoying now.

For example I can no longer hold down the middle scroll wheel to drag a document back to the top, I have to scroll manually now. Also the function keys on my keyboard don't work and every time I restart the OS asks me to identify my keyboard.

Just looking for something that works out of the box I'm guessing.

Very hard to find in stock, but this is basically my dream keyboard: https://kinesis-ergo.com/keyboards/advantage360/. Fully split, wireless, programmable, tented, thumb keys, mechanical switches, key wells, no special driver requirement to run, and on-board memory.

If you want to wait several months, you can get it customized with a multitude of different switches, bigger battery, dampening sound foam, and more from https://upgradekeyboards.com/collections/kinesis-advantage360-keyboards. They are currently backordered because of unforseen popularity.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

shrike82 posted:

i've a colleague who swears by trackballs and has a collection of them
kinda odd

Trackballs are amazing when you have limited real-estate or no solid surface to use a mouse on. Especially if you can get one that lets you keep your hand in a handshake grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

as a daily user of adobe's lovely rear end software, i can't imagine using less than 32gb of memory these days. i'd max out ram no matter the cost

16 is doing me fine for my light software development workload, tbh. Can't really run multiple vm's or anything heavy like that, but enough to have safari with lots of tabs, discord, slack, terminal, an ide, a couple phone emulators, and a SQL instance all running at once without noticeable swap file thrashing.