Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Rabid Snake posted:

I did not know that, I thought you had to show some proof through ID or something. I think I might just wait it out than and buy it towards the end depending on how I think my Mac's holding up.

It's better to wait in case of accidental damage or theft (though I think If you ask really nicely they'll give you a prorated refund for the remainder of your coverage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

lemmiwinks posted:

Maybe I'll give it a few more days to see if it's a spotlight indexing issue. Either way the monitor is native 1080p and the font is super tiny on a 47" at about 7 feet away, and when it's at 720p it performs better but there's some fuzziness which I assume is due to the non-native resolution.

Try turning on HiDPI mode. As for the performance, yeah, that's not normal, my iBook could drive >1080p without stuttering.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

madprocess posted:

Compared to what we were using 10 or more years ago, stuff now is 4x the size. Our screens of today would pretty much be called "Retina" in 1999 - and that's before taking into account the lack of CRT/VGA analog blur.
Ten years ago, I was using 1600x1200 on the desktop and 1400x1050 on a notebook. Apart from the advent of widescreen aspect ratios, screen resolution hasn't really changed in a while (yes, the 27" iMacs/CDs are up to 2560x1440 or whatever, that's still not very common yet).

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Cockwhore posted:

Firstly what is the Canadian sales tax
12% in B.C., 5% in the next province over (Alberta).

quote:

and is there an equivalent of B&H Photo / Amazon.com i.e. a store in which doesn't pay sales tax on account of not having a physical presence?
Amazon.com ships to Canada, not sure if amazon.ca charges tax or not.

e: It does.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 27, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Got my refurbished 2010 MBP from Apple today. It looks brand new without a single scratch on it, plus coconutbattery says it has a brand new battery with 2 charge cycles. Refurbs are awesome.
If anything, they're better than new, as they've actually been fussed over by a human being.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Accipiter posted:

Then while I stand corrected, I would still make drat sure to call Apple support myself, state my AppleCare ID up-front, verify that this is A-OK, get them to document it in a ticket, and record the ticket number BEFORE ever attempting to replace the hard drive.

AppleCare is an excellent support structure, but if anything went wrong I drat sure want a paper trail saying all of the user-servicible stuff I was doing was kosher.

The manual states the HD is replaceable and gives instructions on how to do so, it's pretty unambiguously not going to be an issue unless you put a screwdriver through the logic board in the process.

(Off the top of my head, it's six screws to remove the bottom case, two screws to remove a bracket, and four screw-in mounting posts).

e: derp, beaten.

SourKraut posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! He does have a 20" monitor already with his older desktop, and was thinking of connecting the MBP (or the MBA) to it. Not sure how much he'd be in AutoCAD while on the go, but I can ask.

He also interns with a firm, so that's partly why I'm guessing he's been doing more in AutoCAD.

For my own MBP:

Bob Morales mentioned how someone could throw a Scorpio in to boost the performance (down the road I'll go with an SSD once costs come down for larger drives), but I've heard the Scorpio Black 320 has issues with vibrations? What about the 500GB Scorpio Blue?

I have the 1 TB Scorpio Blue and it's silent, it does have a minor firmware conflict my mid-2010 MBP, thought (disk heads unload every eight seconds unless APM is disabled).

For AutoCAD, I found 1280x800 to be fine for first-year work.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 29, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

apple store.ipa
Only in the U.S., thought.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Auriak posted:

Or should I just stop being such a goon and let it go?

This.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The 1TB Blue's platter density helps immensely in sequential performance, but there's also a high price premium on it and I haven't found an exhaustive review yet -- just HotHardware's quick benchmarks.

Subjectively, it's a total dog.

e: There's a new 1TB Samsung 2.5"/9.5mm drive out for ~$90, but I haven't see any benchmarks yet.

vvv Because you're going to report the purchase and pay the sales tax anyway, right? :ssh:

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 2, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Currently have the following sitting in my Amazon cart ready to take advantage of the 20% off laptop deal...

15" MacBook Pro
Intel 320 Series 120GB SATA SSD
Western Digital 1TB Scorpio HD
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Memory

If I pick up a HD optical bay caddy from Mac Sales or eBay or wherever, I should be good to go, yea? Anyone know of any issues with either the SSD or memory?

The Scorpio Blue has issues with my mid-2010 MBP, in that it parks the heads every eight seconds. I can post the workaround if you need it, but I would recommend the 1TB Samsung Spinpoint M8, as it's faster, and is the regular 9.5mm thickness.

e: I guess WD has released a 5400RPM/9.5mm drive since I last checked, no clue if the firmware issue persists or not.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 7, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

KingEup posted:

Logitech are on a roll:

Look guys, random superfluous lines. How arty!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

NerdsMcGee posted:

Well, drat it. Does anyone know if the SMS works in the Optibay?

It doesn't, but your drive may have an equivalent feature built-in.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

What is the biggest harddrive I can shove in my new MBP? I only have a 320 in it right now and filled it up way faster than expected.

I would like to do 720 or 1TB but not sure if it will physically fit and can't find much about swapping out in new models.

There are 1TB 2.5" drives available. A 12.5mm-thick drive will fit, but 9.5mm is standard. The installation instructions are in the user manual.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Stick with the 9.5's, it's what Apple specs; the larger ones might gently caress things up. They don't allow for much clearance, especially in the unibody models.

I've been running one for ~15 months in my 13" MBP, 15" models have even more clearance AFAIK. I don't know what the "especially unibodies" bit is about, they're the only ones that fit them.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

the truth posted:

I'm buying a base 13" MBAir tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice on transferring my copy of Office and iTunes + iPhone and iPad backups from my MacBook to the new computer?

Migration Assistant.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

1997 posted:

The general consensus will be to pony up the $80 because anything cheaper that you find is gonna suck serious poo poo.
I've never seen a third-party MagSafe adaptor, pretty sure Apple has patents that preclude it.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Has anyone tried running Battlefield 3 on the GeForce 320m, out of curiosity?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Whaaat? The 320m holds its own.
Yeah, it's surprisingly decent for an integrated chip. Crysis was completely smooth on medium everything at 1920x1200. As a rule of thumb, anything that has a 360 version is quite playable (unless it's a terrible port, e.g. GTA IV or SR2).

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

passionate dongs posted:

Does it matter AppleCare-wise if I install an Optibay myself or have an authorized apple person do it? My understanding is that it's a gray area either way and if I need servicing that I'd need to put the superdrive back in.
They won't install third-party upgrades, to my knowledge.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

Internet streaming "rentals" of stuff that's not available on netflix is really commonplace and the quality is way better than on DVD. I say for the movies that are really truly unobtainable by other means, she should rip and encode them in HandBrake while she's doing something else and watch it however she wants. Otherwise embrace her life as a poor and bad person.
Additionally, iTunes does download rentals, and the USB SuperDrive plus something like RipIt would make DVDs only a minor inconvenience.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

step aside posted:

One of my friends wants to buy a 2010 white Macbook before they vanish from his school in light of their recent official discontinuation. He's not much of a gamer so that's not really an issue, but is one of those going to be sufficient for Lion and light Photoshop CS5 use? The ram seems pretty limiting.

The EDU MacBook is being replaced with a MacBook Air. Is he getting it at a discount or does he have some insane attraction to obsolete, bulky notebooks?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I've been looking at benchmarks for 2.5" hard drives, and I see platter drives pushing over 100MB/s. Meanwhile, my current drive usually reads in the mid-single-digit-MB/s range. The fastest I've ever seen it hit is ~15MB/s.

Are the synthetic benchmarks totally out of tune with actual usage, or is my drive screwy?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Linguica posted:

Single digit MB/s read speeds? Are you sure you have a hard drive and not a record player?

It's this drive (2.5", 1TB, 5200RPM [sic])

10.17MB/s is about right for the highest read speed I actually see in iStat menus. :shrug:

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 26, 2016

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

It's this drive (2.5", 1TB, 5200RPM [sic])

10.17MB/s is about right for the highest read speed I actually see in iStat menus. :shrug:

Update:

:woop:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I’m seriously considering building an eGPU ~gaming~ Mac mini, somebody talk me down.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

hatty posted:

Just build a normal gaming PC. You can make it small(not as small as the mini of course) and also have a GPU worth a poo poo for around the same price as a mini. Also gaming on macos isn't great.

The problem prompting to buy new hardware is that my only current Mac is too old for Mojave. I don’t really need a notebook these days, so I was thinking of buying a desktop Mac, and VNCing in from an iPad if I hit some edge case that iOS can’t handle while I’m on the go. Add on an eGPU and TB3 SSD enclosure for Windows and presto, the most obtuse computing experience imaginable.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I’ve got a real bad case of analysis paralysis right now in terms of deciding between a Mac mini vs a hackintosh vs a 2015 MBP vs a cheese-grater Mac Pro vs just sticking with my existing Mac until High Sierra stops getting security updates.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

I’ve got a real bad case of analysis paralysis right now in terms of deciding between a Mac mini vs a hackintosh vs a 2015 MBP vs a cheese-grater Mac Pro vs just sticking with my existing Mac until High Sierra stops getting security updates.

Thanks all for the replies. I’m currently heading home in a taxi with a 2010 Mac Pro that I snagged for $360 CAD. :toot:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Flash that sucker from a 4,1 to a 5,1, add RAM, slap in a Sapphire Pulse RX580 8 GB, and you'll be running Mojave with the best of them.

The one thing you won't be able to do with this that you could with a newer Mac is watch Netflix in Safari. But you can just use Google Chrome or any other browser instead.

It turns out that the GPU situation in Mojave is kind of a pain if you want features like Boot Camp and FileVault to Just Work™. The fastest card that supports both the boot manager screen and Metal is the GTX 680. I probably would’ve a lot less gung-ho about the MP as an option if I’d done my research, but at that price I just jumped on it :shrug:.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I was wondering why my OWC order hadn’t shipped yet… :downs:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Mac Pro update: the memory I next-dayed has been delayed by one day by US holiday and one day by severe weather conditions.

It came with 2GB. :thumbsup:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Mac Pro update:

code:
macOS could not be installed on your computer.
An error occurred while loading the installer resources.
Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.
:shepface:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

The current specs are:

1x 2.8Ghz Quad Xeon
3x 8GB DDR3 ECC PC10600 1333MHz SDRAM
ATI Radeon 5770 1GB

I’m trying to install the latest build of High Sierra. It did a firmware update the first time I tried installing, so that should be up-to-date. The installer log is here.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Upgrading an existing system or starting fresh?

Did you have to do the long press on the power button until the LED flash? And did the optical drive eject and then close? If it didn't then the firmware didn't flash.

Starting fresh. The firmware was upgraded successfully. I managed to get Sierra to install, but now the App Store is throwing errors when I try to upgrade to HS that way:

e: OK, I seemed to have fixed that by signing in to my App Store account.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 2, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

PSA: if cMPs start going up for cheap tomorrow and you get Ideas, be aware everything about them is a little bit janky at this point.

I just had to run to Best Buy to buy blank discs in TYOOL 2019 because installing Windows 10 from a USB drive messes up the bootrom, somehow?

e: and it’s throwing up errors preventing me from installing anyway.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 3, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

eames posted:

The lack of GPU power in all but the highest end models used to bother me but I’ve accepted that macOS is just the wrong platform for graphics intensive applications, so I keep a plain windows box around for that and/or stream to macs.

eGPU support is apparently pretty good now, though the enclosures aren’t cheap and you lose about a quarter of the performance (more if you want to drive an internal display).

e: and you have to disable FileVault if you want to use an eGPU-connected display exclusively.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 3, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

https://barefeats.com/rmbp-2019-8c-throttling.html

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

the cMP is booting the Catalina DP with a one-line edit :woop:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

asinine product idea: a kit to mount a Mac mini logic board in an ATX case, with a TB3–>PCIe breakout board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Christ how big is the sample image that it takes 177 seconds to enlarge to 400%?

He doesn’t specify anywhere that I can find, but from the program’s homepage:

quote:

PhotoZoom Pro 7 not only creates larger images than any other software (up to 1 million by 1 million pixels), it also produces higher quality results.