Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

E the Shaggy posted:

Man watching the Raimi flicks again and the absolute worst part of these is the horrible HORRIBLE extras. Every single one takes me out of the film with their awful acting.

Spiderman 3 is off the charts with its extras. Every single female extra in that movie seems to be a model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ann Nocenti's stuff on Daredevil is really, really good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I used to think that stuff was lame because like a lot of comics fans, you have the Frank Miller phase where everything that isn't that isn't cool, but she took the character in a lot of different directions that rounded him out. It's very cool to see a DD that's both good and not just a riff on what the last guy did - see Brubaker's DD vs. Waid's DD.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, a lot of the pre-MK stuff is terrible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wasn't it by far the most successful Marvel franchise film until recently?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

gmq posted:

Also, Robert Downey Jr. was still considered a 'risk'.

Not really, RDJ was well into his comeback. Zodiac was the previous year, for example.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeathChill posted:

A very interesting negative review. He sure has a lot of complaints, including racism!

http://www.filmmafia.com.au/

I don't see where he complains of racism, just that he says it's basically like a superhero version of a Garry Marshall movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeathChill posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding him, but here's the quote:

Ahh, thanks. Boy I can't read.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

quote:

In addition, we were told that Tarsem Singh is the current frontrunner to direct Amazing Spider-Man 2.

You can't just skip over that part.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Fair enough - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0LYcCoeJY

I would be very interested to see someone as unconventional as Singh do this kind of work-for-hire.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why is Aunt May wearing Iron Fist's pajamas?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wow, I didn't think Sony was going to be so bold and grimy with the new Spider-Man movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How do you mean?

I mean that Spider-Man doesn't accept money to protect his neighborhood but he's down to haggle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vintersorg posted:

New shot of Electro before he turns.

Haha, holy poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Looking at that costume makes me wonder what took them so drat long.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think I more mean that it's so unremarkable, it just looks like it belongs there. Not exactly like a Halloween costume but not totally overdesigned either.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin was legitimately chilling and totally underrated.

What I never got is why they put a mask on a guy who already looks like a goblin.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Riddle of Feel posted:

If you happen to have an African tribal mask with retractable eye lenses and a speaker built into it laying around that matches the flight suit for your flying attack glider that you're planning to sell to the Air Force, tell me you're not going to use it.

I wish he'd slathered himself in green makeup and worn a nightcap. And carried a purse. I already know the Webb version isn't going to do that and I'm already disappointed.

What I've always liked about the Green Goblin is that there's like zero explanation of him. He's the king freak out of all of Spiderman's carnival freak villains.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Riddle of Feel posted:

Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe his "origin" initially was that he decided to dress up as a cartoonish monster in a bid to take over the New York underworld, with the idea that acting crazy would throw people off his trail. A series of stories (Who is the X? type storylines produced years of material back then; you can dip into any period of pre-90's Spider-Man comics and find a long running b-plot about determining the identity of this or that recurring villain, which was usually made up well after they were conceived) revolve around Osborn trying to kill Spider-Man to prove he's tough or something so he can be king of the underworld or whatever, and he gradually gets nuttier and nuttier and more obsessed until the whole bridge thing happens.

Yeah, that's sounds pretty familiar. I haven't read those original issues in Essential Spiderman since I was a teenager, but that does sound basically like the scenario he came up with.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Mysterio owns. A film about Mysterio obviously is rife with potential - a villain whose power is special effects. That's great stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I could see it if Mysterio was only played for laughs. I just cannot take him seriously as a threat to Spider-Man.

I don't know what you want me to tell you if you don't want the carny stage magic villain in your movie about a crime-fighting luchador. The old man wearing a vulture themed flying suit, or the unscrupulous billionaire how kills people with Jack-O-Lanterns or the great white hunter stalking the mean streets of New York City are far more appropriate, I guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

How would a Mysterio work today? He'd have the power to make his CGI creations come to life?

He'd be David Blaine or something unimaginative. There's so much potential there to just drug Spiderman and put him in the holodeck with his superpower.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wonder if all the life was sucked out of ASM because it was yet another boring rear end origin story.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The main thing I recall about it is how poorly judged the Uncle Ben death scene is, I thought you guys were actually joking about that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Where was all of this in the first movie? Seriously.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

notthegoatseguy posted:

Just because a 5 year old reads comic books doesn't mean they're aimed at them. Outside of a few select titles that are specifically marketed to kids (which mostly have failed since kids don't read comics), comics are marketed to people with their own disposable income, basically the male 20-something and up demographic. A 10 year old kid isn't going to blow $4 on a single comic book.

That's why they made 25 cent bins.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Aunt May there thinks it's metal as hell but is just keeping up appearances.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It probably doesn't help that The Winter Soldier just came out and showed how the whole minor-baddie-in-the-first-reel thing is done.

How funny is it that Captain America is now outgrossing Superman and Spiderman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lobok posted:

This is why I think it's funny in one of the other comic movie threads where they're discussing how well Guardians will do based on it being a "space opera". Hey, maybe it just depends on the quality of the movie instead?

Yep. If it gets the same kind of word of mouth, it would probably shock people how well it does.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DNS posted:

Incidentally, it looks like Neighbors is going to crush ASM2 this weekend: http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3840&p=.htm

Just in time for the first big comedy of the year.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowman_McK posted:

The Winter Soldier is the greyest god-drat movie of the new millennium. Every god-drat scene is grey, every locale is grey. It had its strengths as a movie, but it was a loving ugly movie. Then again, I think I may have just been spoiled, since the prior three films I'd seen at the movies were 12 Years a Slave, The Raid 2 and the Lego Movie.

And yet, it's a better movie than the extremely colorful yet visually indistinct Amazing Spider-Man 2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This is going to sound super pretentious, but my idea of cinematic perfection is Koyaanisqatsi and its ilk. No plot, no dialogue, no characters - just images, music and sound and the way they fit together.

I would agree, but Koyaanisqatsi this bullshit was not.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I will say it was less the plot that I hated the gently caress out of, but it was the characters, particularly Peter Parker himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Emma Stone could do all that crap in her sleep, and Sally Field is fabulous (so good that she made me mad at the character Peter Parker acting like a little gently caress), but I can't stand Andrew Garfield and his coke-sniffles. gently caress Richard Parker, too.

• Locked thread