Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I would probably replace Heat Riser. Single target buffs are just not that useful, especially when it's taking up an MC turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Magic is perfectly viable and fun as long as you aren't going for the True Demon Ending. The final boss of TDE takes 25% damage from all elements including almighty and the only way to get through that is Pierce, which is physical only. You can get Pierce on your demons but it's a pain in the rear end so it's a lot easier to just have the demi-fiend do the damage. Who knows if that is going to change at all in the remake, though. At the very least Raidou gets Pierce while Dante didn't so that makes things a bit easier.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

BrightWing posted:

Quick side question: magic or strength for DDS 1? Leaning strength so I can Rend and Slaughter.

There's only enough physical skills to really use one strength character at a time in DDS1 and Atsuro is one of your only party members for most of the game. Definitely magic.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If you are lost on the world map, there's no shame in looking up a map online. It's not very well designed.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I still think they should make some sort of points system where skills cost a certain amount of points, effected by the demons affinity. But that's way beyond a fairly low effort remake like this. Maybe SMT 5 will do better.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The one thing about IS over EP is that you can pretty easily do the game entirely with plot Personas so you don't have to interface with the terrible card system.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I've never been a big fan of SJ's music but I'm sure that's at least partially because of the DS' lovely speakers.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tae posted:

We already have a better friend system from devil survivor 2

It's literally identical to S Links except you only watch the level up scenes without any of the between level hang outs.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Supremezero posted:

So... better.

They're completely different styles of game. The hang out stuff adds to the daily life feel of Persona and helps fill out an entire school year.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Just look up maps for the last dungeon. Going through it blind isn't worth it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think the wording of Charge/Concentrate is something like "More than doubles your next physical/magical attack" which is less specific than it should be.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

The old ones still exist, and generally look better, and don't require me to use a lovely controller

You can't play them on the toilet, though

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

I recently picked up my 3ds again to return to SMT4 Apocalypse, where I got to around level 80 before setting it down. I've heard people complain about the final dungeon being notoriously awful even for the teleport maze standards of this series, but I remember getting through Merkabah's heaven and thinking we'll this isn't so bad, a little confusing maybe but definitely not worth all the hate it got.

So after starting it up again this week I found out pretty quickly that it wasn't actually the final dungeon and I still had to get through the Cosmic Egg. Okay, not my favorite dungeon, and it's a bad sign when individual dungeon floors have extra giant corridors connecting them. But I made it through eventually.

Well anyway now I'm at what I can only hope is the final dungeon, or at least if there's an even worse one after this I don't plan on seeing it. I thought Twisted Tokyo's "always turn left" mapping method was tedious but at least in there I didn't feel compelled to auto-map every little nook and cranny. Lately I've been starting fights even though the demon's aren't scoutable just to break up the monotony with something exciting like spamming Antichthon on all four party members until the fight ends.

So far I'm on floor two.

Just look up a map. It's not worth going through the final dungeon legit.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Artelier posted:

I am glad I'm not the only one calling him Megatron. Even when he attacks that weird metallic sound reminds me of Transformers!

Also not really a series mainstay, but I love 4A's Krishna. Sure the skin colour is wrong but flute blowing evil Michael Jackson is such an inspired choice. His skills are excellent.

All of 4A's main character demons were really good. I'm especially a big fan of 4A's Odin.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I love the idea behind Chemtrail, but I don't really like the design. It looks too much like a car engine.

Gaius Marius posted:

Can't wait to summon Q in five

https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Ghost_Q

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Overminty posted:

Then SMT4A goes and makes her a lvl 80 something because ??

She had white wings. Totally a different demon.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Angels aren't loyal to YHVH, they're loyal to power. That's why they all backed Chiaki in Nocturne. You are just the strongest guy in the room when you recruit them.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Junpei posted:

the laughing scene is supposed to sound bad, it's not an example of bad voice acting, it's intentional

The rest of the game doesn't really have that excuse for its bad voice acting, though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Going TDE on a magic build should be a bit less painful in this version since Raidou/Dante have Pierce so you've got at least one demon with it easily. But going physical is definitely easier. Physical builds can still make decent use of skills like Tornado even with low magic, which is really strong in the early game.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

YggiDee posted:

For a magic build should you be focusing on one or two elements or is the idea to have as much coverage as possible? Is a support build feasible or should the Demifiend be All Murder All The Time?

Go for coverage IMO. Most of the Demifiend's magic skills are of the "hits random enemies" variety and those work well for both groups and single targets so you can get away with one of each element. There's 8 skill slots so that gives you some room for stuff like a heal, Fog Breath or War Cry, an almighty attack, Dekaja etc. You could also get an elemental boost (wind is probably the most powerful with the Demifiend's skills) if you want to drop a support skill or even an elemental skill. Pure support builds are possible but feels like a waste. Being able to pump your damage stat means that the Demifiend will usually be doing more damage than equivalently leveled demons and even offensive builds can fit in a few support skills plus some item utility.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Maybe if he has at least 2 or 3 debuffs applied? I tried it just now at 15 and he didn't care much to dispell my singular Sukundas.

If you did that after he used Red Capote he would still be at positive Agility so Dekunda wouldn't do anything.

Funky Valentine posted:

Alright I got High Pixie who is now the ringer of the team and knows Mazio so she just nukes everything.

High Pixie/Queen Mab can still become Super Pixie, right? Just never dismiss her and you're good?
Persona 5's negotiation is the best in the franchise and it's entirely because it's the first negotiation system to not be bullshit.

As long as you don't sacrifice or dismiss whatever you evolved or fused the original pixie into, they can still become the super pixie. In the original, they would always be in the first demon slot, which made it easy to track. Not sure if that's still the case.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well I got to matador. Holy poo poo lol

Fun to see it happen in 2021 but absolutely wrecked me and I’ve played so many SMT games. At least I know what to expect next time but I think I’m also super underleveled? I’m at 14 which was ok up to now. I have not done actual grinding in a game this early I’m in years

14 is a little low for Matador but it should be doable if you buy the Magatama that gives wind immunity and have access to Rakukaja and Sukukaja.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Chiaki is weird because while her reason closely fits with Chaos as it appears in other games, she's the one the angels all throw in with.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Item Getter posted:

I feel like Matador is one of the few times in the series where you have to use Sukukaja

It's one of the few times where it is basically required but Sukukaja is actually really strong in games with Press Turns because missing attacks, even if it's only one target of a multi target attack, removes press turns so it's pretty good at lowering the damage output of a boss by denying them actions. It's a lot less useful in something like Persona because even if one or two party members dodge attacks chances are you'll still need to heal your other party members so it doesn't really save you any healing actions.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Yep, that's just one way IVA is harder and more balanced than Nocturne. I noticed it in my last run of IVA. In Nocturne you get demons right from the start who Repel or Drain elements. For Matador you have your choice of draining or nullifying his Force attacks. In contrast, you'll be able to fuse Jack Frost right around the time you fight Sukuna but unlike his Nocturne Ice Draining self, Jack only Resists Ice in IVA. Not having a demon who can so much as null an element in IVA is a huge game changer. I remember being so bummed when I fused Jack specifically for my Apoc run of that fight with Sukuna and discovered he only Resists Ice in this.

I'm no master gamer, could be there are element draining/repelling/nullifying demons earlier in IVA than I realized but they absolutely are not as plentiful and common as in Nocturne.

It looks like the lowest level demon that is nulls Ice is Yurlungur at 29. I'm not sure what level you normally fight Sukuna-Hikona at. That said, regular resists are a bit better than they were in Nocturne. They don't effect Press Turns but they can proc Smirk, which is pretty decent even if it is weaker than it was in vanilla 4.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Stux posted:

that was added or at least increased in nocturne vs vanilla iirc

Yeah, it was a Maniax change that every magatama that wasn't explicitly weak to expel/dark had a hidden resistance to them.

I'm wondering how the protagonist is going to learn skills in this game. I was never a big fan of Demon Whisper.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, I really liked the gigantic demon list of 4. But 200 is a good amount, especially for a 3d game on a new engine (though I imagine they used a lot of Persona 5 models where they could).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean you still ended up scrolling through a list for anything other than basic attacks/gun poo poo.

That's completely unavoidable unless you have few enough options in combat that all of them can be a single button. I'd definitely rather press Square and then select a skill from a menu than select Skill from a menu and then the skill I want in a separate menu.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Does anyone even use buffs in Persona? In the beginning of the games, being single-target and having a fixed duration mean they're basically only useful for not getting the MC killed, and mid/late game it's such a negligible difference it doesn't even seem worth it to bother. I pretty much only use them for the endgame enemies where every party member has nothing better to do than spam buffs/debuffs because none of them even contribute to DPS next to Hassou Tobi. This is pretty stark contrast with Nocturne where if a boss can't use Dekunda or Dekaja you get a free win. In that regard, I can kind of see their reasoning behind the change, but yeah on a surface level having stacking buffs plus single target plus limited duration sounds like a nightmare and I would expect there to be some sort of game mechanic around extending buffs or something like that because otherwise uuuuuuugh

Was there anything in the trailer about Demon Traits still being in? Traits loving rule

Multi-target buffs are still really strong in Persona, it's just single target buffs that are mostly worthless. Well, Masukukaja is still not worth the turn most of the time but it would be worth using in a Press Turn game like this.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Hmm That's a minor change that could have semi major ramifications for your per turn calculus. Not having to leap frog your turns changes quite a bit.

It makes it so you can always get two actions per turn from your two strongest demons regardless of turn order. Under the old version of Press Turn, you could only do that if they were 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th. It was always kind of unintuitive that Pass worked differently than every other half Press Turn action so I'm really happy about this change.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

So at what point does the game stop throwing a lot of these "one mistake and you're hosed" bosses at me, or is that the entire game? I've heard once I get down on the "ground floor" of the structure I've traversing down then the game becomes more manageable.

Minotaur is the hardest boss in the game with no super easy answers. The next boss also has a bit of a reputation but does have a demon available that auto-wins. After that the game gets quite a bit easier.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Also any skill you delete is gone permanently.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Spiffster posted:

Ok so back into the thick of IV and I was doing so well getting back into the swing of things until I get to the Hunter preliminary tournament. I keep getting pasted. I need to get some demons that know stronger full party heal magic and possibly some magic and physical reflects because I am not doing so well here. Getting charge on my MC wouldn’t hurt either.

I just can’t make sense of the fusion tables so trying to get a specific demon is a pain in the rear end

https://aqiu384.github.io/megaten-fusion-tool/smt4/demons

You can go to the skills tab and look up Mediarama or what have you and get a list of demons you can click on that will tell you every possible combination to fuse them. You can also sort the demon list by elemental resistances and find something that resists what you want in your level range.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

vilkacis posted:

IIRC the water areas in the manikin village, where you only encounter that one fish demon who's weak to fire, is probably your best bet.

Does hard mode also mess with weaknesses and ailment procs? Troll should be weak to status so it should be reasonably easy to just nab a lilim from the area and spam charm until it sticks.

AFAIK Hard is just a straight numbers boost for enemies so weaknesses are all the same. It's possible that enemies have higher Luck and thus be a bit harder to hit with ailments but it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

VileLL posted:

is there a good way to play smt 1&2? guessing it’s just roms & translations, but is there a best option?

As far as I know only the SNES versions have translation patches. There was an IOS port of SMT1 that was in English but I'm pretty sure it got broken in an update and never fixed a while back.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Isabeau is straight up better than Asahi until Asahi gets Cheer and is pretty comparable in usefulness after. Navarre is also good but the other party members are pretty situational at best.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

SMT4A = pwnage. The perfect follow up to 4. Best final boss next to Lucifer in 3.

SMT4A does own but lmao at considering Lucifer in Nocturne a good boss fight.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Stux posted:

its a good boss fight

I like the part where you have to build your MC in a certain way or buy the one demon in the game that learns Pierce from the Amala Labyrinth if you don't want it to take 2 hours. Maniax/the remake make it a lot more tolerable with Raidou/Dante having Pierce but the original version is a terribly designed fight.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

You mean I have to do preparation for this final superboss fight???

It's not really a superboss. It's the final boss of a not particularly hidden ending. And the "preparation" is to bring this one particular skill that doesn't even make the fight easier so much as not insanely tedious. Just remove Lucifer's resistance to Almighty and it's a perfectly fine boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What is the method for learning skills on the MC? Is Demon Whisper back or a Magatama equivalent or what?