Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Oldest Man posted:

However, Captain Walker, if your homebrew idea meshes with an action movie vibe I highly recommend you check out GURPS Action. It's a great splat and a good introduction to the system besides.

D6 also did an action movie book, D6 Adventure. Here's a mirror for the download:
http://www.polgarusgames.com/D6/

It's pretty much the Indiana Jones game without the licensed material, so the equipment and weapons lists are from the 1930s. D6 lends itself well to action movie style games, so you shouldn't have any trouble using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Young Freud posted:

If you get into D6, one of the cool things you can do is look for old TORG stuff. The Revised Edition gave some real simple tips on converting existing stats to Open D6 by dividing any values by 3 to get stats.

Ars Magica: each 5 points of spell level is a D6 worth, otherwise run a D6 Fantasy game.
Classic Traveller: add 1 to the stat and convert it into dice codes. Do the same for skill dice, allot skills to stats as appropriate.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Cool, thanks! The sheer number of products available for Traveller makes me nervous in the same way GURPS does so I might give it a pass but Diaspora and Starcluster 3 look like they might fit the bill as the one-book solution I'm looking for.

Traveller has a ton of books, but that's because they put out a lot of background material for a number of distinct settings in the same basic universe. They also did a lot books full of pre-made stuff. The basic books will give you a hard SF game that can switch easily between low tech frontier worlds and high tech core worlds. You'd have to ignore the Zhodani to completely avoid psionics, but it's a big galaxy.

They're far more simulationist and grognardy than Diaspora. Ideally, you'd run one of the Traveller settings using Disaspora, since Diaspora is basically Traveller: FATE of the Imperium. Diaspora just needs its High Guard for handling the big ships in combat, Scouts for planetary system detailing and Merchant Princes for fleshing out trade and profit... Actually, stealing stuff from Rogue Trader, especially Endeavors, might be a good idea.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

LordZoric posted:

RULESET: Lite to Normal
SUPPORT: User-Generated to Established
CHARGEN: Involved
SETTING: Universal to Neutral

I'm looking for a good fantasy system to do a long running fantasy campaign, our group is going to be creating the game world ourselves. More low-fantasy Game of Thrones-ish stuff, probably a heavier emphasis on narrative than combat, but some good tactical crunch is fine too.

This is the textbook case for Dungeon World.

creating the game world ourselves ? check
heavy emphasis on narrative ? check
some tactical crunch ? check ?
long running ? check, the book for levels past 10 should be out by the time your group gets there.

Well, Dungeon World for a party-based game. If you want fantasy sandbox, steal some of the playbooks from the World of Conan AW hack.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Interstellar Owl posted:

Looking to play a Zombie Apocalypse game, I want to make more than just run of the mill zombies, as it is an alien virus and has begun to mutate wildlife as well. I want to incorporate city building things like in Kingmaker (the Pathfinder epic campaign).

Apocalypse World, with possibly mass combat lifted from The Regiment, would work for this. Unless you're expecting gun nuts in the group, in which case you might not have enough detail or crunch in the mechanics.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Purgey posted:

Spaceship Combat

RULESET: Lite to Normal
SUPPORT: DIY
CHARGEN: Quick to Involved
SETTING: Universal

Full Thrust. Go here http://fullthrust.star-ranger.com/ the rules are good and free. Use the Ship Book construction system.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

The best premade campaigns I can think of are the two adventure paths from ENWorld (far better than the Paizo ones - and statted for both 4e and Pathfinder), and the Eeemy Within campaign for WFRP. (Now I come to think of it either the original version or the WFRP massive adventure that's by the same name)

I'll second The Enemy Within, that's on the short list for 'best module ever written'. I'm going to get several sessions worth out of a module from 1985 called A Flight of Eagles, and it's really deep and complicated, but I may own the only copy in existence. So go for The Enemy Within. TEW is particularly notable for changing from a fantasy game to a Traveller campaign set on a river midway through (the Death on the Reik module).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

TwoQuestions posted:

I'd really like to run a game in the universe of Mass Effect, but both game systems I was considering using (Shadowrun and Eclipse Phase) were recommended to use only in their own universes. I was thinking Shadowrun would work, as Mass Effect is pretty much Shadowrun IN SPACE, but I'm not sure.

The ME hack for Diaspora is well thought out and comprehensive (through ME2 anyway).

http://rpggeek.com/thread/524385/hacking-diaspora-to-mass-effect

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Glazius posted:

Well, Dogs in the Vineyard isn't being sold anymore, but I'm told Law's Out is pretty well fit for purpose.

Several people have tried PbtA Western hacks. I'm going too drop an email to the author of Cowboy World, since the PDF copy I have isn't marked not for distribution.

Dogs in the Vineyard is certainly worth trying.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

If the answer to "what system should I run ?" contains Spellbound Kingdoms, then run Spellbound Kingdoms. Follow the link and be enlightened.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Very much so. A dry, structured "my turn, your turn, my turn, your turn" and "here is the dungeon/battle/etc the DM planned" are against the entire point of PBTA.

DW has some issues, but neither of these are amongst them. The big problem is too many attributes, some of which have nothing to do, and the Defy Danger move which is both over broad and easy to exploit.

It was groundbreaking when it came out, but Fellowship and Legacy are both better games.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

Best Star Wars system for players who don't like a lot of crunch?

WEG D6 Star Wars.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Make sure you use the first edition and not the second edition, though (the latter adds a lot of unnecessary crunch).

I almost specified 1e in my post. Do this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pussy Quipped posted:

Looking for a TTRPG that does Kaiju / Mech battles. A friend mentioned wanting to play a Pacific Rim-esque RPG and I've been looking around at the options to run a one-shot or mini campaign.

Anybody have the Last Stand download links handy ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Upgrade to Twilight 2013. That actually has a ruleset that's pretty decent. If you want to stick with T2K go with the 2.1 edition and hunt down the expansion Twilight Nightmares as well as the game Dark Conspiracy. Those two will give you all the weird science you need.

It just now occurs to me that few systems need an anti-Skynet campaign more.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Ruleset: Lite
Support: DIY
Chargen: Quick
Setting: Neutral

I'm working on an exploration-based game in a custom setting. My group likes light systems and my fallback is probably using some kind of blades hack but blades isn't perfect for a few reasons so I figured I'd ask here.

The intended arc of the game is to explored the world, gain knowledge and resources, and then, after some inflection point, begin using that knowledge and those resources to leave your mark on the world, and leave it better suited for you than you found it. Ideally I'd like the mechanics to reward players for making and advancing long-term plans, and I'd like the mechanics to encourage players, when faced with something over their pay grade, to retreat, come up with a specific plan for overcoming that challenge, and come back prepared. (I.e. something more involved than just "this is too high level, let's come back after leveling up")

Any ideas?

That's Goblinville to a T. It's a rules-light OSR-ish dungeon/hexcrawl game where you play, duh, goblins going out in the world to make rent and not die horribly. As you advance your home town also develops.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Haystack posted:

Scum and Villainy is probably the current gold standard for that.

With Traveller as the classic version with a very well developed setting for exactly that sort of play. Mongoose 2e is the current standard version. Then there's 40 years of setting books, although whatever Mongoose has out is generally considered the current canon.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Covok posted:

Let's say you were someone who JUST started watching Adventure Time over TEN YEARS after it first aired. And let's say that, despite yourself, you find you actually like it. And, you say to yourself, "Oh, this is just a D&D game on acid." And you say to yourself "woah, I could play this."

And then you say to yourself, "but what system would I use?"

Did someone say D&D on acid ? Comrade have I got good news for you !

https://wizardthieffighter.itch.io/ultraviolet-grasslands-and-the-black-city-uvg

UVG is a pointcrawl campaign set in a world that is 100%, USDA Grade A, D&D on acid. With the art to match. And a not-terrible simple RPG system included that should be playable enough. The basic premise is that you're trying to run a trading caravan through the UVG to the Black City. It's not just gonna not be easy, it's gonna be weird. The players will be actually managing the caravan in some detail, but there's great scope for exploration and adventure (I.e. the UVG is super dangerous).

If you don't like the system, meh, try Dungeon World with only 3rd party playbooks allowed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I don't mean games where you can incidentally pick up a castle during play, rather a game where you start out with a castle and the responsibilities tied with it, for an example.

Pendragon ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Gort posted:

I want to run James Bond-style superspies with laser watches, guns and fast cars. It should have tactical miniatures combat. Is there a system out there that fits the bill?

Go old school and play the actual James Bond RPG. PDFs are on archive.org,

https://archive.org/details/james-bond-rpg-core-rulebook

It's a terrific system and it's hand-crafted for James Bond stuff.