Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Dr Snofeld posted:

Can anyone recommend me a housing mod that doesn't have free daedric armour sets or dirt-cheap enchanters hanging around, and doesn't give you a place half the size of Vivec for nothing? Although failing that I can just do what I used to as a kid, which is to break into a house whose occupant isn't at home and live there forever.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=166

Morrowind abodes are reasonably sized (the Vivec one's kind of big though) and have tons of storage. No added items or NPC's either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

edit: Fixed my problem with the new MSGO

Redid a clean steam install (again) and skipped these steps from the OP guide to steam install:

quote:

Instructions for Steam installation:
1. Open Steam, go to Settings, go to the In-Game tab, and uncheck the "Enable Steam Community In-Game" box.
2. Change the Created dates on "morrowind.bsa," "tribunal.bsa" and "bloodmoon.bsa" so that the year is 2002. Number 6 can be extracted to your main Morrowind folder and number 7 to your Data Files folder. Number 8 is Oggumogoggum's megapack (described below), which is optional but highly recommended.

New MSGO automatically changes the bsa dates, and files 6 and seven may or may not have been what was screwing me up on the install. Either way leaving them out made things work.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 26, 2013

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

A Morte companion mod is girly?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Nighthand posted:

I've been thinking about installing and modding up this game, since I haven't played it since release and didn't have much in the way of mods back then. The zip file here, however, no longer exists. Is there a mirror of it somewhere?

If you're doing MGSO then I don't think you need to bother with most of the stuff in the OP, the new installer does all the date changes and as all the other files you need as well. In fact, I think following the instructions in the OP screwed me on my last reinstall.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I haven't tried Rebirth, but MGSO and Tamriel Rebuilt work fine together.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

That's a completely viable playthrough. I knew a guy who played through as an Argonian pearl diver and just wandered around harvesting pearls to sell. You can really do whatever you want. I think what got you in trouble the first time was you tried to sell something you stole back to the merchant you stole it from. If you steal say, a diamond, from a particular merchant you can't sell any diamonds to them for the rest of the game because they'll be convinced its the same one you took. Just keep in mind whose shops you've wiped out and you'll be ok.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

One of the things I'm liking about my current run is that I don't have a weapon, but I'm not doing unarmed either. I've got a mod that makes magicka regen at a slow rate and I've just been playing as a mage who exclusively casts poo poo like lightning spells and frying all my enemies. Pretty fun, especially since Blood & Gore makes it so some of the bodies sit there coursing with electricity after I'm done with them.

I'm doing the same but pretty much only using mysticism. Absorb health beats the hell out of any destruction spell I've come across. I also had a really fun game playing as a coward with sneak, illusion, and conjuration. My goal was to hide in corners whimpering while assorted daedra fight everything for me. Eventually I made a constant effect ring with summon clanfear, which is hilarious in dungeons.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

elise the great posted:

I can't figure out what the balls I'm doing wrong. Modded up a new game with MSGO (minus Distant Lands) and a couple of Less Generic .esp's, played just fine until I realized a little while ago I hadn't added Less Generic's NoLore .esp. Closed the game, moved the file to Data Files, reopened the launcher with admin privileges just in case... and found absolutely nothing listed under Data Files. The pane is empty. I've never had this happen before; the files are all still present in my Data Files folder; I am too computer stupid to understand what the hell is going on.

If anyone can give me any tips, they would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using the steam version? This happened to me. I don't remember how I fixed it or if I even did, but I remember it tools hours and thinking it might have something to so with steam saving stuff like that in the cloud.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Steal the alchemy set at the Caldera mages guild and make potions. All the potions, doesn't matter what they do, then hop down the street to the orc manor and sell them to the scamp.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Also if you're just starting out a good trick is to make one spell for each magic skill that's as weak as possible and cast it over and over when you're trekking around the countryside. And don't underestimate mysticism, its got all the teleport spells and absorb health is just flat out better than anything in the destruction school.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I changed my mgso settings a bit and turned on mge, and now I'm missing random textures from the main game. Nothing game breaking, but things like the knocked over table in Tel Branora are now yellow squares. So far I've decided that I don't care enough to spend the x hours it would take to figure out what went wrong, but I have a feeling that's going to change by Sunday. Any ideas on where I should start looking?

edit: I also installed the tea mod, after I did MGE it stopped screwing up, but I was getting rather errors before that related to the tea mod. Now it works fine though for some reason.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 17, 2013

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I know the temple sends you on a quest to the Berne headquarters, but yeah, other than that its pretty vague.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

If you're worried about having to level destruction, I'll happily point out again that absorb health (mysticism) does everything lightning bolts do and does it better.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Although it does make the naked nords standing on the side of the road much funnier.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I have steam in its default directory and have yet to have any problems with it. Just pick the right directory when you're doing installs and everything is going to be ok.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

If you care about meaningless numbers that have no real impact on gameplay, the most Reputation you can get in Morrowind is by joining House Telvanni and doing their quests, then using a glitch (sadly fixed by the Unofficial Morrowind Patch Project) to join House Hlaalu and doing their quests as well, and finally doing a handful of Redoran quests that you don't need to join the House to do (Mad Lord of Milk, Shut the Mines Down, Troubles with Bandits).

Actually if you get your rep above 50 you get to skip the most annoying sections of the main quest, which is great.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Monopthalmus posted:

I'm playing Morrowind for the first time and have a quick question. I've opted to use MGSO and everything appears to be installed properly and running well. What I'm wondering how to install additional mods (like Uvirith's Legacy) without screwing everything up since MGSO is basically just a huge mod package right? Can I just install Wyre Mash and it will detect everything and I can go nuts from there or what?

Everytime I go on a modding spree with my game I rerun the mgso load list part of the install, its fixed a number of bugs that were caused by mod load order for me. Honestly though if its your first time I'd just stick with MGSO and then decide later what you really do and don't want to change before going crazy with the mods. I'd even wait on Uvirith's Legacy for a second playthrough.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Rookersh posted:

I just remember there being a few more things like multimark/depth perception I used to install, but I can't remember them. OP is a bit basic, so curious if anybody might have any ideas.

Tireless running, book rotate and fair magic regen come to mind.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Rookersh posted:

MDEXE? I used the MGSO installer. I don't remember getting asked about FPS counters or depth of field. How exactly do I fix these from that?

That's what it was, magic regen and better int scaling. I'd have figured it out eventually, but this'll make me less confused upfront, thanks!

Get book rotate anyways, its really the most important of the three.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I've noticed a correlation between ESO betas and this thread blowing up. That said I uninstalled ESO and have finally resolved my latest round of conflicts, any TR pros have any tips for getting started on the new landmass? What's the best city to sort of base myself in at first? Or should I just wander around and do whatever? Also is there a good map of where the cities/fast travel routes are? It feels weird to be playing MW and not knowing the basic city layout after all these years.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Just grab the morrowind abodes pack http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=166 its got nice but not overly fancy places in most of the major cities with lots of storage, but not too many weird frills. The Suran one is my favorite, I just can't ever manage to base myself in Suran.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I think the unique finery mod adds a store in one of the vivec canal works that sells a pretty cheap constant effect 10-15 pt night eye belt.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Mods for the OP

Morrowind Abodes pack: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=166 The Balmora one might conflict with mods that add to change balmora, since the hill the house is on is a popular site for additions, but the rest are fine.

Book Rotate: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=1230 I have no idea why this wasn't in the op already, its practically necessary in order to play.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

What's the big deal with the stuff rotate mods? Other than preventing things from stacking in the inventory, what does it do that's so useful when you store your loot in containers?

So you can display your books on a bookshelf. I mean, what's the point of having a base full or rare artifacts and the whole library of books if you can't display them properly.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Derek Dominoe posted:

• Along those lines...any mods that are "essential" to a first run? Other than the graphics overhaul, I was considering the faster running mod.
  • I'm going with a mage. It sounds like Altmer is the best for min/maxing purposes, but how much will that affect the story? Does picking a Dunmer give you more dialogue or anything?
  • The Astronach birthsign is intriguing...particularly for the resistance. Is it a total pain for a first time playthrough or is it easy enough to make/buy sufficient potions?
  • What's generally the best approach to this game? In most RPGs, whenever I get to a town I explore every nook and cranny and find every little subquest and complete them before moving on to the next town. From my aborted first attempt to play this game, that didn't necessarily seem like the most effective way to go about things as even simple sidequests weren't afraid to lead you halfway across the map. Is it preferable to stick more to a guild or house's quests until they get too tough? How do you Morrowind?
  • I'm having a bit of trouble comprehending the leveling system and how to choose/use skills to effectively level. Any good guides or should I use that simple leveling mod (or will that gimp my character in the long haul)?
  • Finally, any "Don't do/choose ______ or you will lock yourself out of really cool plotlines/quests/etc"?

Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to getting started!

I like Breton for mage just because all those weaknesses on the Altmer seem not worth it, especially if you're going Atronach. Speaking of atronach, in addition to the stuff everyone else said shrines will also refill your magic and they're everywhere, even in tombs. Join the temple and do the first quest, maybe one more and they'll be free forever. Sadly MW took a step back from Deaggerfall where mages in factions you'd joined would top off your magic when you talked to them.

As for playstyle, exploring every nook is fun and often rewarding, but trying to do a whole town at once is going to be tricky since some quest will send you somewhere way out of the way and you'll get distracted poking into nooks and crannies along the way there, on the way back, and probably forget to turn in the quest. Don't worry about leveling, you're not going to gimp yourself, you can min/max if you want to by training misc skills in the stat you want to get a bonus in, but there's not going to be some kind of huge jump in difficulty once you hit an arbitrary level.

Join Telvanni.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

Let's be honest, no one cares about using the loot. It's all about having more cool stuff to decorate your stronghold with. :gay:

That's the true MW end game and everyone in this thread knows it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

So where can I go to learn everything there is to know about Morrowind alchemy?

Get your hands on all the netch leather, bloat, and ash yams you can for fortify int potions. Fortify your int and make super potions with whatever effects you're in the mood for.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Alchemy

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So how hard would it be to make a mod that adds summon mudcrab as a spell? I don't know enough about modding to know if it would be crazy difficult or just annoying to do.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

And after a couple of days of tweaking mods, I finally start the game, looking forward to finally getting back in...

...and get a black screen on new game with none of the OP's listed fixes working. That's the Morrowind I know :allears:

Make sure you have steam overlay turned off, that caused black screen for me.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I asked this earlier but now I'm willing to offer a bribe for it, is it super terrible to mod in a summon mudcrab spell? I'll buy an upgrade of choice for anyone who makes one.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Oh, okay. I didn't know about GetSpellEffect. Here's the new version:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/084dcndycax9opr/C_j7LKekNm

type "player->additem sc_summonmudcrab 1" to learn it

Nice! I'll try it out later today. I don't have pm's so just let me know what upgrade you want in the thread. With any luck this can replace my usual 'constant effect summon clanfear' ring as my method of having a loveable dungeon pal to roam around with.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 26, 2014

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Hey guys, I downloaded Uvirith's Legacy from the OP, and I'm a horrible person and all around dirty cheater extraordinaire so I was wondering how I might take a brand new character and console in the ability to just have the place ready to go from the start instead of having to go through the whole telvanni thing manually first.

Can anybody help me there?

Honestly getting to mouth level in telvanni is so easy I don't know why you'd bother. Show up with 5 muck and sload soap, mark and recall and you can get all the way to mouth with absolutely no combat and do it in about 20 min. The master Aron quests take another 20 min tops even at low level. The hardest part is hitting wait while the stronghold gets built. If you haven't played enough to know how to do this play through it normally because wtf why else are you playing.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The mudcrab mod works great thank you so much! He's hanging out and being a cool mubcrab buddy.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The reason the restore fatigue is fluctuating is because its casting a variable level spell every time unit, whereas the fortify spell just fortifies it once and until you take it off. Are you trying to enchant paper? Paper always no matter what size soul makes a cast once enchantment.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Well you're not going to get bound everything + shield + chameleon all on one ring. Prob your best bet is to enchant an amulet with bound everything for a million seconds, and then enchant whatever clothes you're wearing under your armor with the chameleon/shield stuff. Its going to be expensive as hell and even with 100 enchant you won't be able to make it yourself. That said, stupidly expensive is rarely a giant hurdle in elder scrolls games.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

You can do both thieves and fighters so long as you don't take certain quests from the fighter's guild. You'll still get enough quest credit without it to take over.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

bonzibuddy64 posted:

You should look into some of the mods that add new voices for Dagoth Ur, Vivec & co., as their default voices are plain and somewhat lackluster. As for my own personal recommendation for a gameplay mod, "pilotcountry24's Improved Combat +" mod works wonders for me. Not only does it make the combat leagues better than it used to be (I would swing an axe at a mudcrab for hours without landing a single blow in vanilla Morrowind!) but it also improves the skill system and spells too - say goodbye to Mysticism! Overall, this is one of the better "combat/gameplay overhaul" mods out there.

Getting rid of mysticism is the opposite of improvement.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah the steam overlay problems has never not made my starting ship interior black. Do you have lighting mods installed?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

boho posted:

Security is entirely down to how much locked poo poo that you can realistically get away with picking.

There's a lock spell that's pretty cheap.

edit: or possibly not, I don't know what chocolate mod does to spell prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

boho posted:

Oh cool, thanks for the tip. I must not have run into it yet. I've never actually played Morrowind much past the Balmora region so lots is new to me.

You can get it in Vivec, Tel Mora, and Caldera. The only problem is casting it raises your alteration, which if you have high alteration why would you need security in the first place. Mercantile is easy enough to raise if you just sell one item at a time every time, and gently caress raising persuasion just in general.

edit: I just remembered, use this spell in dungeons or somewhere out of the way, as it flags as a crime if you pick a door you just locked if some random npc spots you doing it in town. Also fun fact according to uesp you can lock sacks.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 25, 2014