Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

C-Euro posted:

Am I correct that this newest landmass for TR also includes the first two landmasses in the same download? I might just install it and goof off in it tonight if I can't make other plans.

Yeah it does. And although I wouldn't say it's as good as vanilla content it's still probably the closest a mod can get. They have a fairly strict content review process and generally people work only on one particular aspect of the thing, like writing or scripting or such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Azuth0667 posted:

Does anyone know of a good mod to expand Morrowind's enchanting abilities?

Morrowind Code Patch has a couple of decent options to rebalance enchanting. If that's not enough there's Inscription for MWE, but MWE has tendency to corrupt saves so it's pretty annoying to use. You'll want to make manual saves if you use it.

Mister Adequate posted:

I'd actually argue some of the settlements, at least, are better than vanilla ones. Places like Firewatch are amazing, and Necrom is seriously mindblowing. I can't wait to see the new Mournhold when the next release arrives.

The think that annoys me about firewatch are those loving arrowslits everywhere. I don't really understand why they needed to add that model, it's really bland and doesn't fit in. And some of the decoration like tapestries and such is pretty different in style from the vanilla textures; though I guess that doesn't matter if you are using texture overhauls.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I haven't played Morrowind in years now, but IMO people should try Morrowind Enhanced w/ combat and blocking enhanced (get ACE subtitles too). It lets you do combos that chop off limbs and disarm people and apply stuns and do area attacks and whatnot else, and it really helps to balance out using long/slow blows and different kinds of blows (the combos are weapon-type dependent and gradually unlock with skill level). Makes combat much more interesting.

e: As a word of warning MWE does cause a little bit of instability IIRC, and there's an issue with very long-term savegames getting bloated (can be fixed with a tool). It does do some things that MWSE alone can't, so I always end up using it anyway when I replay the game.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 1, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Given that it's open source you can just do whatever you want with it. The degree to which improving combat would be difficult depends on how much other stuff like animations/indicators/ai support/balancing you want.

I'm fairly certain I could do it in 15 minutes or less; from the brief look I had at it the codebase is fairly simple. And in my experience doing source-level modding is much much quicker than doing things via scripting.

Now the bigger issue is that source-level mods are inherently incompatible with each other, to a certain extent at least. Which is why other OSS games like OpenTTD, *bands, Nethack, JA2 1.13 etc. usually only have a few different versions/mods/patches, so you can see why OpenMW would be reluctant about officially supporting it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 9, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Lol if you think that the code part is the difficult part about making "better" combat rather than designing the combat and making it fun and balanced.

That's pretty much what I said? Like I can literally program up the glancing blows thing pretty quick and most of that is going to be compiling and testing to see if it works how I want.

If you want animations/ai/balancing/whatever, than yeah, it's not simple, but it's quicker to actually implement than via scripting anyhow.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In that case I expect a full combat overhaul by the end of the day

I never said I'd do it. And setting up a dev environment for it would be annoying because of how many libraries it has. But if you have a look at the combat code it's pretty much, play a hit sound, do a hit animation, substract health, etc. Would be simple to make all failed attacks play a hit sound and make the health bar show up and do a 1-3 (or w/e) points of damage (no stagger obviously).

e: let's see, take this from combat.cpp:

code:
        if (Misc::Rng::roll0to99() >= getHitChance(attacker, victim, skillValue))
        {
            victim.getClass().onHit(victim, 0.0f, false, projectile, attacker, osg::Vec3f(), false);
            MWMechanics::reduceWeaponCondition(0.f, false, weapon, attacker);
            return;
        }

const unsigned char* attack = weapon.get<ESM::Weapon>()->mBase->mData.mChop;
        float damage = attack[0] + ((attack[1]-attack[0])*attackStrength); // Bow/crossbow damage

// Arrow/bolt damage
        // NB in case of thrown weapons, we are applying the damage twice since projectile == weapon
        attack = projectile.get<ESM::Weapon>()->mBase->mData.mChop;
        damage += attack[0] + ((attack[1]-attack[0])*attackStrength);

adjustWeaponDamage(damage, weapon, attacker);
        reduceWeaponCondition(damage, true, weapon, attacker);

if(attacker == getPlayer())
            attacker.getClass().skillUsageSucceeded(attacker, weapskill, 0);

if (victim.getClass().getCreatureStats(victim).getKnockedDown())
            damage *= gmst.find("fCombatKODamageMult")->getFloat();

// Apply "On hit" effect of the weapon
        bool appliedEnchantment = applyOnStrikeEnchantment(attacker, victim, weapon, hitPosition);
        if (weapon != projectile)
            appliedEnchantment = applyOnStrikeEnchantment(attacker, victim, projectile, hitPosition);

// Non-enchanted arrows shot at enemies have a chance to turn up in their inventory
        if (victim != getPlayer()
                && !appliedEnchantment)
        {
            float fProjectileThrownStoreChance = gmst.find("fProjectileThrownStoreChance")->getFloat();
            if (Misc::Rng::rollProbability() < fProjectileThrownStoreChance / 100.f)
                victim.getClass().getContainerStore(victim).add(projectile, 1, victim);
        }

victim.getClass().onHit(victim, damage, true, projectile, attacker, hitPosition, true);
and replace with

code:
	bool attack_missed;
        if (Misc::Rng::roll0to99() >= getHitChance(attacker, victim, skillValue))
        {
		attack_missed = true;
        }

const unsigned char* attack = weapon.get<ESM::Weapon>()->mBase->mData.mChop;
        float damage = attack[0] + ((attack[1]-attack[0])*attackStrength); // Bow/crossbow damage

// Arrow/bolt damage
        // NB in case of thrown weapons, we are applying the damage twice since projectile == weapon
        attack = projectile.get<ESM::Weapon>()->mBase->mData.mChop;
        damage += attack[0] + ((attack[1]-attack[0])*attackStrength);

adjustWeaponDamage(damage, weapon, attacker);

if (!attack_missed) 
		{
			reduceWeaponCondition(damage, true, weapon, attacker);
			if(attacker == getPlayer())
				attacker.getClass().skillUsageSucceeded(attacker, weapskill, 0);

if (victim.getClass().getCreatureStats(victim).getKnockedDown())
				damage *= gmst.find("fCombatKODamageMult")->getFloat();

// Apply "On hit" effect of the weapon
        bool appliedEnchantment = applyOnStrikeEnchantment(attacker, victim, weapon, hitPosition);
        if (weapon != projectile)
            appliedEnchantment = applyOnStrikeEnchantment(attacker, victim, projectile, hitPosition);

// Non-enchanted arrows shot at enemies have a chance to turn up in their inventory
        if (victim != getPlayer()
                && !appliedEnchantment)
        {
            float fProjectileThrownStoreChance = gmst.find("fProjectileThrownStoreChance")->getFloat();
            if (Misc::Rng::rollProbability() < fProjectileThrownStoreChance / 100.f)
                victim.getClass().getContainerStore(victim).add(projectile, 1, victim);
        }

} else {
			damage = 1;
		}
        victim.getClass().onHit(victim, damage, true, projectile, attacker, hitPosition, true);
and recompile. (formatting might be screwed up because I copied it to/from Np++)

Quick and dirty. If you want a random chance for glancing blows it's super quick to do as well, this took me about 2 minutes including the time to replace batteries in my mouse.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 9, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I'd say it needs a lot more horizontal progression. Right now in pretty much every Elder Scrolls game, once you get Daedric weapons you are basically set for life and there's no real reason to upgrade. I would ballpark that I'm around 25%-50% done with my Morrowind playthrough and I'm basically maxed out. The last things for me to do are spend ludicrous amounts of money to train skills, and eventually maybe enchanting but enchanting is insanely expensive in Morrowind Rebirth. I don't feel like bothering to add on-hit enchantments because its such a pain to keep that poo poo charged. I keep a glass jinkblade on me just in case, because its only 2lbs, but I doubt I'll ever need to use it.

Its also worth pointing out that you can get Daedric weapons very early on if you go to the right places. There's a daedric dagger you can get within 10 minutes of starting a new game, and encountering zero enemies. On the one hand I think that's really cool and open-worldy and stuff, but on the other hand it kills that feeling of progression.

That's a problem with almost every RPG game though, once you get the top weapons then you're set for life almost always.

The second point is what Oblivion/Skyrim does, but it makes the open world kinda feel fake and plasticy, I much prefer the way Morrowind does it. In theory you could implement some sort of weapon levelling to deal with that without killing the open-world atmosphere though.

When I said 'improving combat' I was replying to the guy wanting that glancing blows thing obviously. If you want physics based combat (like Dark Souls or DMMaM) that especially will take a while to do since you'll have to integrate a proper physics engine along with a ton of animation work.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 9, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Seventh_Samurai posted:

Managed to figure it out, or at least a rough solution. Process of elimination showed me that it was a problem with MGE, specifically distant land. Tweaked various settings and found out that setting my draw distance to anything except 23 cells fixes the problem. Distant land off: fine. 22 cells: fine. 24 cells: fine. 23 cells: white out. :iiam:

It can't handle a prime maybe? It is a bit odd.

Or just an odd number.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

basic hitler posted:

I'm consistently impressed. I enjoy Skyrim a lot, and I go back to playing it frequently, but the fact I've had a physical copy of morrowind as long as I have, the most I ever played was back in the old days, when my gateway with an AMD Athlon and Geforce 2 couldn't really support large drawing distances with a playable framerate, it was all fog and what might've been a cool city in balmora, but like I said, I never got further than that.

just using the mods in MGSO, the game looks gorgeous. I just made a pit-stop in Vivec and was kind of blown away by how good it looks. How good everything looks. It looks like all of it might even be fine unmodded, which is crazy.

It's difficult for me to understand how Bethesda went from making something like this, to the comparatively straight up boring Oblivion, the fun but comparatively small Skyrim, and the pretty disappointing Fallout games.

It was a double whammy of changes in writing and design teams along with listening to some frankly stupid feedback (I remember back before Oblivion came out there was this list of things that players wanted in the game, like more quest direction, randomisation, level scaling, less item clutter, enemies that take longer to kill, etc.). They did take a lot of it onboard and, you know, turns out players aren't very good at game design.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Conskill posted:

I would love to know more about the design thought that went into Oblivion. I recall post-Morrowind scuttlebutt was that the last planned TES game was going to be named Oblivion, which made a certain amount of thematic sense. Oblivion's basic concept would do well as a finale to the series as we knew it. Its intentions were suitably epic in a way no other TES story was (when played straight, anyways; the Numidium breaking time was awesome but was elaborated on in Morrowind instead of being a feature of Daggerfall's plot).

There's a fairly good and detailed Wikipedia article called something like The development of Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, it's worth reading. In particular they say they wanted to de-emphasise content which isn't connected to major quests chains. I wouldn't say that's the impression I got from Oblivion, but it certainly was much more empty than Morrowind. Which if you think about it is kinda sad and unlikely to be because of hardware, since Morrowind after all ran on the old original Xbox.

I can't link it because I'm on my phone, but here's an excerpt:

quote:

Oblivion would include fewer NPCs and quests than Morrowind, and mindless filler, which Howard felt the team had been guilty of in the past, would be avoided. In exchange, Producer Gavin Carter later explained, there would be greater focus on length and depth in the quests, adding more "alternate paths", more characters "to connect with, who actually have personalities". Carter cast negative aspersions on aspects of gameplay too far removed from the game's central plot. Carter stated that such material was not needed, preferring instead that the focus be on the plot, on "fighting these demon lords", and that further material is "tertiary" and "takes away".

Some of the links in the article references are pretty good too.

e :link added after all

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 21, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Mr. Crow posted:

lowered the overall quality across the board (except in voice acting... Obviously).

Only one squeaky voice actor for elves including dunmer would beg to disagree.

Though there certainly was more of it at least.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Right but if you theoretically charge 60 bux and sell 20mil copies, pulling 60mil of profit out of 1,200,000,000 seems hideously low. If that is an accurate number, no loving wonder nobody wants to spend real money on weird interesting games that might not go platinum or whatever.

Eh it's still 5% and a lot of the low-return costs would have been borne by retailers. If you assume something like 20-30 dollars going to zenimax per copy you get 10-15% ROI which isn't too bad.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Orv posted:

There is a mod that makes your swings just do damage if they visibly connect, but I forget what it is, sorry.

The other two exist in MGE/MGE-XE and this one. Though I think there might be another option as well for the second.

There's this for combat (definitely recommend using if you want something closer to Oblivion/Skyrim): Morrowind Combat Enhanced (I know the link might look dodgy but it's just a reupload. Also get ACE subtitles and ACE books which helps give you feedback for combos in the mod)

And yeah Morrowind Code Patch now includes that button casting mod.

MWE demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxJE9KKIWkw

Also there's Stealth Enhanced IIRC, which helps if you want to do a stealth build.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 19, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Node posted:

ahem, u forgot

- imoen romance mod

Which one?

I'm kidding, but on the other hand I'm pretty sure someone made an Imoen mod for MW.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Just found out there's not one but two references to SA in Morrowind. Never knew about the second one: Imperial Library link

Also yeah seems a bit too early to give Morrowind away for free. Maybe in five years.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 22, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

GreatGreen posted:

And Morrowind is totally for me. It's one of the best games ever made. I also think it's full of jank and that it could use a new coat of paint every now and then in one way or another. Besides, somebody already made the hotbar+quickcast mod, which is 90% of the idea, and it's pretty universally liked.

There's been three of them actually, IIRC. But the MCP one is obviously the best, seeing as it's a binary patch.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Are there any major combat overhauls for Morrowind? I do enjoy the setting and I was watching an LP of it and kind of want to try some big mods with more content but the combat clickfest is a little dull for me, personally. I never understood the weird hybrid FPS/Dice Roller combat as a kid and while I understand it now it's not my cup of tea.

There's a combo mod called Morrowind Combat Enhanced (needs MWE)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I like MCE

You just have to ignore/disable the bullet time bit

Granted it was a while since I last used it, but this discussion just made me restart the game with it, so

e:
Also I don't think going "you can just remap the button to do the best attack" is doing much for a complaint of "Morrowind combat consists of too much mashing of one button". But maybe that's just me

e2:
Literally all it does (ignoring bullet time), is let you a) do flavorful combos with your weapon, giving you reason not to just mash a single button, b) give you sliders which you can use to apply custom multipliers to enemy stats, to make the combat more the way you want, and c), give you the option of having an Oblivion style block.

But then whoever thinks Oblivion had worse combat than Morrowind, given that in my opinion that's like the one thing that was more fun in Oblivion, probably won't agree with me on the above.

e3:
Also the one-button-cast patch in MCP was made first in MWE, too. Among other innovative mods. It's pretty much just a more full-featured version of MWSE, even if it did use to have some issues with game stability in the past. But then there's people playing the game nowadays without MWSE too, so.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 15, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Another decent MWE mod is Crime Enhanced

quote:

* Guards won't popup dialogue if you have a weapon or spell equipped. So if you want to just fight them, fight away. If you want to surrender, put down your weapon or spell and they'll let you.

Stealing Bugfix:
The stealing bug is the one where if you steal a particular type of item, the game will sometimes consider that item type permanently as stolen. There are two ways to work around it:
* When a guard arrests you and you pay the fine or go to jail, the stolen flag is removed from the items you had that they took.
* There are 3 members of the Thieves guild and a corrupt Imperial official who will remove the stolen flag from all the items in your inventory for a percentage of their value.
- The Imperial official charges more, but he can be used by anyone.
- The 3 thieves require that you to be in the Thieves guild and have gained a few ranks
- Locations:
- Thief 1: Balmora, South Wall Cornerclub
- Thief 2: Ald-ruhn, The Rat in the Pot
- Thief 3: Sadrith Mora, Dirty Muriel's Cornerclub
- Imperial Official: Ebonheart, Six Fishes

Light-Based Stealth & Sneaking:
*When the player enters sneak mode, they will be given a bonus to their sneaking ability (using the spell chameleon) based upon the ambient light in a cell, and their distance to any light source.

Also for anyone mourning the loss of old mods, mw.modhistory.com is far superior to Nexus for this purpose, at least as far as Morrowind is concerned. It doesn't come up as easily on Google though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Somebody just put VATS in Morrowind please

There's this weird lovely AutoIt mod for MWE which toggles the bullet time on combos, kinda like fallout criticals.

I haven't tried it and it probably is kinda broken (seeing as it's based on AutoIt of all things) and it's not quite VATS, but, well, yeah it's not VATS.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Why is uh

Why is there an autoit based mod of all things

Mwe by itself makes the game horrendously unstable why would you do that except as some kind of horrible prank

Seems the author was serious, even if a little bit, uhh, misguided.

Also the famous MWE instability is really not all it's made out to be, provided you use the last (1.6) version anyway. Particularly with the MWE patch in MCP that's enabled by default. At worst you'll have to eventually clean your save for references, and Oblivion had that issue natively, so v :) v

e: specifically this process, but you only need to do it after a few dozen hours playtime:

quote:

Try a clean save without MWE:
Save game in an interior cell (I tend to use one of the cave dwellings in Gnisis as they're unaffected by the mods I'm running).
Exit game.
Using Mash's Mods tab deselect MWE_Base.esp and MWE_Blocking.esp
Onto the Saves tab, select most recent savegame.
Do the "sync to load list" thing (see above).
Save
Repair All.
Optionally, right click the savegame and choose Remove > Debris Cells.
Start Morrowind and load altered save game.
Save in a new slot
Exit Morrowind
Re-enable MWE_Base.esp and MWE_Blocking.esp
Load Morrowind and open most recent save.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 16, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I use MWE most installs out of habit and I haven't been able to load saves in exterior cells (and many interiors) for about six years so I can vouch for the instability tbh

I guess I'm wrong then. Have you tried to do things to fix your save? I'm kinda curious as to how it's so screwed up.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Either the pastebin guide or the STEP guide. Not quite as easy but more customizable due to their modular nature.

I use the pastebin guide with STEP shaders, imperial texture replacer and a newer body replacer on top, which works pretty well.

fake edit: phoneposting correction

E:
Oh and I think I replaced some of the wood textures by ones from the wood retexture plugin (linked on STEP), specifically cherry wood and whichever is the one used on ships a lot. (use NifSkope to figure out which textures bother you). I might put it into a pack to install on top of the pastebin guide, because some of those textures really are kinda garish. (though they are the same ones as in MGSO IIRC, so)

Full disclosure, it does take a few hours to do. Unfortunately there's nothing better than MGSO if you can't/don't want to find the time.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 26, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

There's a mod called Skyrim UI, complete with an animated title screen menu (which is the only bit I use anyway). Not sure how much better it is, depends what your problem with the MW UI is.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Entropy238 posted:

Hmm – I'm not really confident enough with all of the utilities to safely uninstall mods and I'm not running OpenMW so that's RIP Cyrodil and SHOTN. If I just ran the following would I be alright?

– Doors of Oblivion
– Lythidonea
– Neverhalls/Forgotten Halls
– Wonderwind
– Ruins of Serpenthold
– White Wolf of Lokken Mountain
– Abandoned Well at Dagon Fel
– Face of the Hortator

As far as I know none of them should lead to any clashes.

e: Wonderwind is pretty much all interiors I think. Serpenthold just adds a castle somewhere off Solstheim.

I have basically all of those. Have a look at abot's solstheim overhaul, it makes some of those Solstheim-based ones compatible with each other.

If you triple that list and add a bunch of gameplay mods, which is the way I have MW setup right now, you'll end up with regular out-of-32bit-memory crashes; but with just those you should be fine.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42979/

that's wolli not abot :colbert:

i'd recommend this version, especially if you use TR

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43818/

by none other than atrayonis, who is confirmed insane

I meant this thing: http://abitoftaste.altervista.org/morrowind/sopp/

Which is at least distributed by abot, though it does include both mods you linked.

e: Among many, many others. Though you don't have to use all of them, it's modular.

quote:

Solstheim Overhual +

Mods included in various SOPP packs:
Solstheim - Tomb of the Snow Prince
Necessities of Morrowind
Children of Morrowind
Thirsk Expanded
Mills of Morrowind
Ayleid Remnants
Hirstaang Mill
The Serendipitous Traveler
Solstheim Mage Tower
Fourth Era Solstheim
Neverhalls + Forgotten Halls
Himmelryn Point
Graphic Herbalism
Wonderwind
The White Wolf of Lokken Mountain
Solstheim Castle
Ald Vendras-Vogar

Mods included in ab01ScenicCompilation:
More Detailed Places
Dock Side/Yard Clutter
Distant Mournhold
Authentic Signs
Cavern of the Incarnate Overhaul
Mines & Caverns
Chapels of Vvardenfell
Imperial Graves of Morrowind
Vurt's mangroves
Ash Mire
Gnisis Imperial Bridge
Gnisis Temple Minaret
Tower of Vos
Old Vos Tradepost
Epic Dagon Fel
Dagon Fel Mill
Portrait of Crassius Curio

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 1, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

prometheusbound2 posted:

Are there any gameplay mods for Morrowind like SPERG or EnaiSaion's mods for Skyrim? I'm familiar with Galsiah's mod, which as I understand eliminates levelling completely. I kind of like leveling, so it's not that interesting to me. But default Bethesda mechanics kind of fall flat, and I'd be interested in livening them up for a new playthrough.

I would recommend making your own, you can use the MCP (MW Code Patch) options to uncap attributes and skills, and then change GMSTs (it starts with strings, you have to scroll down a bit) to e.g. require 25 skill increases per level, with major skills counting twice and stats increased by 12-18 per level. It's what I did for my most recent playthrough and it works quite well.

There's a lot of interesting tweaks possible through GMSTs; higher carrying capacity, easier thievery, easier speechcraft, faster movement speed (with higher drain and recovery rates for fatigue, to match the way it acts in Skyrim), etc. Changing them is trivial with the construction set, and you can google what they do quite easily these days, mostly thanks to OpenMW research.

edit: I could share the mod I've made for this playthrough, but there's a couple of patches for other mods there as well so I'd have to look through it and clean it up a bit first.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 18, 2018

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Convoolio posted:

Morrowind used to be crashy as gently caress for me, but something in the combination of morrowind code patch and morrowind-xe makes it very stable for me.

Really depends on how many mods you have.

It was stable for me up to around 300, but past that you start running out of 32bit memory with extended playing sessions (and you have to merge them anyhow). Depends how big they are as well of course.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Whorelord posted:

anyone know why Morrowind keeps resetting my controls and resolution?

Run as admin?

Or alternatively your ini file is broken, which is actually fairly annoying to fix. Get a second install of the game by moving it somewhere else (presuming steam), replace the morrowind.ini file with the one from the fresh install, move game back, reactivate mods and reconfigure settings.

e: VVVVV
or that

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 7, 2018

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Entropy238 posted:

MGSO hate notwithstanding, I think there definitely is a market opening for something to make installing all the utilities and mods for Morrowind much easier for beginners.

Fingers-crossed that OpenMW negates the need for all of the third party utilities in the first place.

There's the pastebin guide and the website guide for Morrowind graphic overhauls, the end result is pretty good and faithful to the original graphical style.

I don't have links for them anymore but I'm sure somebody in the thread will.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

raminasi posted:

I’d appreciate that, I just started an OpenMW playthrough and it could really stand to be prettier, not gonna lie.

Right so there's this (the updated pastebin guide) and the website guide (S.T.E.P.). They are both modular and have a bunch of accompanying screenshots around

e: updated link to the pastebin one; there's a reddit guide to changes you need to make STEP compatible with OpenMW too, but I never tried it

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 14, 2018

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I see that now. Only good thing about it is, I don't have any money yet, so for the time being I'm running around in a thrift shop ensemble of Heavy Armor, Medium Armor and No Armor At All. Funny thing is, mudcrabs and kwama foragers are so useless that they have a hard time hitting me even now. Which is actually a bad thing as I understand it, since it's one of the only ways to get that precious early Endurance.

This game doesn't need an FPS cap, right? It's sixteen years old so I'm running it at a smooth 144 FPS and it's incredibly refreshing after my full playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas where everything would go haywire if you dared play it at 60+ FPS.

If you care about things like that you might want to look into the Morrowind Graphics Extender (MGE). It's only a few megabytes and has all sorts of features like distant land and whatnot.

e: It's basically the only other "always install" thing on everyone's list aside from MCP

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 13, 2018

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I was going to say MWSE but then remembered that its integrated into MGE and MGE-XE

I know some people who play without MWSE for, uhh, reasons I guess? Either way MWSE is meaningless without other mods.

e: I mentioned another program here, but it's not one to recommend so it's gone now.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 13, 2018

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Generic Monk posted:

your favourite game from 2002 levelled up with machine learning

I wonder if in 4 years they'll release Morrowind for free, like they did with Daggerfall.

I'm guessing not, it must still be bringing in a fair chunk of money.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Vavrek posted:

Balderdash. A hand-arranged 3 GB textures folder is the true Morrowind experience. Next thing you'll say is that it isn't 2004.

Is my 28GB one better or worse.

The out-of-32bit memory when a save gets big are annoying though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I'm just too lazy to make installation packages for everything, and it would take forever to do too.

IMO it's more autistic when having loose files around bothers you.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Explain yourself

I looked at abot's modlist and lp and thought hey this looks neat, what if I added a bunch more stuff on top, until it starts crashing at least.

Copious mod merging and landscape moving was involved.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

The main problem is that people do like their diamonds to stack, thank you very much. At which point you're rather boned trying to figure out which diamond is the one you stole from, say, a certain altmer in Balmora.

This is also really annoying in mods that include meat spoiling, since if you add a script to it suddenly all your rat flesh (and whatnot else) takes up two dozen inventory spaces.

e: grammar

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 23, 2018

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Could be a shader, there's that zoom one used in a scripted "close inspection" mod.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Addamere posted:

Several people have pointed out that you just need X, Y, and Z, for basic improvements, and it's nbd.

Still waiting on that forthcoming "Just the basic X, Y, and Z you need, NBD" modpack/installer.

The STEP/pastebin guides work pretty well and are designed to be lore-friendly and follow the original art direction, but granted they take a while to install.

e: I still delete a few wood textures from them though, but that's relatively minor.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

You could probably just do the oblivion thing of causing minimal damage.

Maybe with some extra sound effect.

There was that primitive OpenMW patch I posted earlier to do that, basically something similar, with higher minimum damage for head hits and such.

e: Or mulitply all hitpoints by 100 and scale damage according to combat roll. Not sure how difficult that would be to do in modern MWSE.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 11, 2019