Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The OP is quite old now so I wanted to know what's the best way to play Morrowind with all the important mods, without spending hours installing and modding it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Should I be using OpenMW or regular?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I love farming (both small and large scale), base/home/fort building, and industry stuff in video games. Are there any good mods for this? There's one farming mod in the OP that I got but there are so many house/base mods I don't know where to start. Also if there are other/better farming mods I'd love to hear it.

Only lore friendly or lore neutral mods, please!

e: Are the houses from the Morrowind Abodes mods free in-game? I'd like to buy or otherwise earn a house if at all possible but I'll settle for something free if it's very good.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 10, 2020

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I found a housing mod that seems to do everything I want it to do: Welcome Home
But I've also been eyeying RandomPal's awesome looking city overhauls like Sadrith Mora - seat of power of House Telvanni.
I'm guessing they won't be compatible but on the off-chance: has anyone tried using both the Welcome Home mod and RandomPal's city overhaul mods with any success?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

I think it's compatible with Sadrith Mora's overhaul--I don't use RP's Sadrith but I use most of the mods it was built off of, and few things seem to put anything in that spot. I know it cooperates with RP's Gnisis-lite, which it doesn't with the full HoTV Gnisis. Vivec's apartments are fine, except with Rethinking Vivec, because it puts an apartment in the waistworks and Rethinking Vivec merges the waistworks in the FQ. It's fine with any Tel Vos mods I've seen. Ald-Ruhn home is an interior so that one works. Mar Gaan is outside the town walls so it's compatible there for the most part. Bitter coast houses and Tel Mora, Tel Branora, were all fine from what I remember.

Not sure about Balmora, I use Kilcunda's with second floors and balconies instead of what RP used as a base.

Worst to worst, just editing Welcome Home and wholesale moving the house in the construction set is pretty simple if you find one that fits poorly.

Thank you!

Balmora definitely doesn't work. Maybe I'll try to learn how to use the construction set.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

It's fairly easy. I learned how to use it when I was... 14? 15? You'll want to set Welcome Home as the active file, and select ALL the bits of the Balmora house at the same time and move it all together to somewhere else, including the exit markers. Make back-up before you fuss with it just in case.

Welcome Home is really cute and worth the effort to make compatible, although I still end up living in my own custom-built houses pretty quickly anyway. It's basically like playing with Lego all over again. I'd argue it's worth the effort learning how the CS works, and what all the pieces are, so you can build a house that's tailored to what you want out of it. In my current playthrough I spent the first 100 days in a custom built pod in Sadrith Mora, which had a bottom floor magic lab and a levitate-access-only living room just above it. Was super cozy!

Learning the kit is useful beyond that anyway in that if you encounter something in a mod that bothers you, it becomes super easy to tweak it to fit your playthrough better. If that's just, modifying a modded location to be cozier for you, or removing something that you disagree with. So long as you aren't, like, uploading edited versions of peoples' mods without permission, I don't think there's any stigma to tweaking things to suit your own playthrough's whims.

Altho it's morrowind modding it used to be a huge egofest a long time ago idk how it is these days.

I also learned how to use it around that age! It's coming back to me slowly. I didn't bother with the Balmora house yet because it also changes the path nodes and I messed up twice trying to fix that but I did make a little patch for Sadrith Mora. I just deleted two houses randomperson adds in the same location that don't really seem to really matter. I'll slowly go through the locations and see what I can do. I really like both of the mods so getting them to work together would be awesome.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I just realized who you are! Do you know if your Vivec Waistworks Expanded mod - which looks awesome - will work with Welcome Home without modding? And if not, is it a relatively easy fix? I don't mind moving some objects around but like I mentioned in an earlier post I managed to mess up the path nodes twice so I don't really want to mess around with more complicated stuff right now.

e: sorry I just re-read the description which says it is. Awesome!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I figured out pathing! It's really easy and I have no idea why I accidentally deleted everything twice before. I made a little trailing path to test it and some NPC happily walked along it.
My edits are pretty sloppy but I moved the Balmora and Sadrith Mora houses. If I encounter more issues I'll know I can fix it pretty easy going forward.

One question: Some flags and grass is kinda floating in mid-air in my existing saves after enabling these mods. Is there a way to fix that or do I need to restart?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I made a third change to the Welcome Home mod to work with randomperson's pelagiad mod. I'm starting to get the hang of it now.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Did you edit the terrain? Grass mods are only set up for the terrain they're created on, changing that is a big headache

E: not at a computer atm but if you use tesame you should be able to manually delete the terrain edits and be okay. Ask flock :)
One of the mods changed the terrain so I guess that's it. I just restarted since I wasn't that far anyway and I'm pretty happy with the mods I have installed currently.

Oh hey I'm using five of your mods and am thinking of getting two more! You really do great work! I especially like your immersive corpus mod, such a good concept.
It's cool so many good modders are active in the thread.

e: oh I get it now, I'm trying to jsut patch it since it's not too many patches of grass.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 12, 2020

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm trying to find the mod that lets me use alchemy sets that are placed in the world/without picking it up. Does anyone know what it's called? I've seen it before but can't find it on the Nexus.

Upmarket Mango posted:

lol oh man idk what i was thinking

my install got hosed up somehow, idk. ive only really been working on my own mod anyway so i backed up the .esp and nuked my morrowind install and downloaded it again.

except i forgot to backup the custom assets, which 90% of my mod is composed of, so even tho i backed up it, the mod still basically got wiped out.

i hope i can find them assets again and just slot everything back in. poo poo i think i had to import them into the cs and everything.

e: holy gently caress i think i might have to start over lol dozens of hours of work just blown up lmao

Oh my god I feel for you :( I did this at my job a couple of weeks ago (accidentally deleted a week's worth of work) but it's much worse when it's a project you actually care about

e: I found this but I want to be able to do both: use from inventory AND use placed ones.
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44006

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 13, 2020

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thank you!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I've been having a blast playing Morrowind again. I've spent quite a bit of time changing the Welcome Home mod as well as the ground cover mod I use to work with all the randomperson city mods but it's been worth the effort. I ended up not using the Farmer's Mod because it's a bit bugged and doesn't play nice with the city mods either. It's a shame but I'll live.

The big Telvanni mods are great except I kinda dislike the student it gives you.

It's also the first time I actually played Tamriel Rebuilt and it's genuinely incredible how well done it is. It all feels perfectly in line with the base game.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

By the way, your Vivec Waistworks mod rocks. I couldn't play Morrowind again without it.
The one thing I did notice is that in my game all the merchants I interacted with didn't have any gold, so I could buy but not sell anything. It might be worth giving them 100 each or something if it's not a huge hassle.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Do the new LUA mods work with OpenMW?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The first time I played Morrowind I didn't understand what was going on because I just spoke English on a conversational level (English isn't my first language) and there are so, so many words in fantasy games that do not come up in regular conversation. Probably even more than you expect. My wife's a non native speaker too and her English is really great (we primarily communicate in English) but as soon as we watch a fantasy movie or play a game in a fantasy setting she really struggles.

Anyway I just looked up the god mode cheat and killed everyone in Balmora and had a blast for a few hours. Then maybe a year later I picked it up again and put some effort into actually reading it and it blew me away.

I remember asking my mom what "necromancy" was and it was the first time I asked her the meaning of an English word that she did not know. I ended up constantly alt-tabbing to look up words in an online dictionary while going through the game and it taught me a lot. A similar thing happened to a lesser degree with Deus Ex and some of the conspiracy theory jargon.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Hello I have a wild dumb question I will ask the experts.

I'm about to get two weeks off from work. A part of me is thinking of going through all of Morrowind since two uninterrupted weeks of Morrowind sounds pretty drat good.

I'd want to do

MSQ
Bloodmoon + Raven Rock
Tribunal + Museum
House Hlaalu quests
Imperial Cult quests
Legion quests

Mages Guild? maybe
Thieves Guild? maybe
Tribunal? maybe
Fighters Guild? maybe

If I've got 90ish hours roughly, about how much of that should I expect to be able to finish. Plus of course some random exploring/loving around time.

i don't think you'll hit 90 hours to be honest

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I've been playing a modded Daggerfall Unity recently and it's quite cool being able to play the game and not fall through geometry in dungeons and the like. Also the DREAM mod and the mods it recommends makes it look quite good. Definitely worth a play through (it's completely free)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, Unity fixed that exploit (also "immunity" is now 50% resistance). So if you take both, they cancel each other out

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

That's definitely going on the list for my next replay. Looks awesome!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

It all boils down to whether you want to do without those mods. Once OpenMW supports them there's no contest, but for now I'd stick with MWSE. If it is your first time playing I figure just go with OpenMW but if it's not, try some of the new mods, they're awesome.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's an automation/management game in disguise

I really disagree. That's certainly a component of it, but that's not the game. 270+ hours and I barely ever used any of the automation. I spent almost all of it running around getting into trouble

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

This post and mod literally got me to reinstall and play Morrowind again. It's funny you still pet them if you kill and loot them.

I got almost all the mods on this list and tweaked the settings somewhat to my liking.
https://github.com/Sigourn/morrowindsharp

The following list is a pretty vanilla experience. It's mostly QOL stuff and improved gameplay mechanics and graphics. I also got Tamriel Rebuilt and the three big Telvanni mods. I also got Ashfall and like it more than I expected. Any other mods that are recommended? I especially like immersive and role playing mods.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Does anyone happen to know if NPCs have attributes? I have a mod that changes pickpocketing to compare your security skill with their security skill + item weight, and I was thinking of adding agility into the mix but I can't find any good info about NPC attributes to make sure it doesn't make pickpocketing too easy.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

They definitely do, you can see them in the NPC window if you open an NPC up in the construction set

Thanks! I guess I'll install the construction set rather than just editing the LUA scripts with guesswork haha

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

mbt posted:

lol hey that's probably my mod! you can add opposed agility to it, it wouldn't be too difficult. from what i've seen in the npc stats, they have generally very low numbers in anything that isn't their specialty. mages will have security of like 5 and agility of like 10. be careful when tuning that you don't double down on that discrepency! you could multiply both by a 0.5 scalar and add them or something, or swap to agility only, see what works best.

Is it Pickpocket by mort on Nexus? If so, then would this work?

local securitySkill = tes3.mobilePlayer.security.current + tes3.mobilePlayer.agility.current
local opponentSecuritySkill = currentTarget.mobile.security.current + currentTarget.mobile.agility.current

Since it just compares the two to each other (plus adds modifiers such as weight to the latter)

If this isn't your mod, could you link yours? Love to use goon made mods.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

mbt posted:

yeah thats mine. that would work, but again be careful because most npcs have bad agility so you're making it a lot easier lol

Hmm I'll check out some NPC's agility to get a baseline. Maybe I'll half or even quarter it.

Cool mod by the way!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

Getting back into modding this again – seeing what the newest mods are and cramming as many in as I can before going and playing something else.

Except this time when I was testing out some mods my 8yo daughter was watching me and started asking about what this was (she has played lots of Zelda and likes those). Started explaining some basics and she of course wanted to make her own character. Rolled up a woodelf who she liked the look of best. And we headed out – no expectations, no knowledge of what is around the next corner. Just heading off on an adventure.

Words can’t describe how great it is to watch someone play through this game for the first time – stuff like Ashfall makes it so much better - she is obsessed with making sure we have food and drink. Can’t wait to get into Dave’s furniture mod as well.

We are of course playing a complete good character – no stealing. No killing NPCs. Even talking to the Thieves Guild members is wrong.

Every session she is like “Dad, Morrowind is the best game ever.”

Yes. Yes it is.

Please keep posting about your adventures together

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Chatrapati posted:

I think I was a similar age when I first played this game, and I understood that he was a deadbeat: messy room, isn't dressed, seems to have more or less given up on his organisation. I remember thinking that the skooma stuff (like pipes) were similar to the other weird alchemical aparatus you get in the game.

That's a different guy

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I use the mod that has a cooldown on potions and it's p good

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i'm uncertain if cost of spell factors into amount of xp gained by each cast, but it works well enough for now :shrug:

I use a mod that does exactly this to discourage me from doing exactly what you're doing (which I've done in many playthroughs, so I'm not judging)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

What's the name of this mod? I'm playing a character specializing in summoning, or that was the idea from the start. Sort of disappointed that you don't get more leveling from a more expensive, difficult to cast spell.

Trainers are for power gamers. You have to earn that poo poo through hard work.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48330
I think there's a non-LUA version out there also

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I love that every single ingredient in Morrowind isn't a real thing, except for precious gems and bread. Diamonds and emeralds and bread are the sole universal constants. Oblivion and Skyrim having poo poo I could actually buy at the store is a huge knock against them.

rat meat is real

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Does OpenMW support all the new cool LUA mods yet? That was a dealbreaker for me

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is it possible to get all attributes to 100 without exploits, mods or cheats (base values, not with enchantments/magic/potions/etc)? I assume I'd have to pick luck every single level up and get 5x on two others each time

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

I believe so, but it requires ensuring you have skills associated with the stats carefully arranged in your major/minor/misc categories and being careful about what you level. Maximum level without using exploits/bugs to go higher is 78, and that's assuming you don't have any bonuses to your major or minor skills in character creation, so in practice it'd be lower.

If you are doing that, the longest part is Luck, which will take you until level 51 assuming you picked it as a favored attribute in a custom class.

I'm tempted to do it. I've played Morrowind so many times but I've never really powergamed it

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks for all the advice! I completely forgot about jail.

whydirt posted:

OTOH, you don’t need to minmax anything because you basically have you actively try to not break the game in two

It's just a fun little goal for me.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Speaking of, does anyone have experience playing Morrowind on Steam Deck? How well does it work?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is there a good goon-approved OpenMW mod list? I will miss stuff like Ashfall but I think OpenMW is probably the way to go on Steam Deck and I have wanted to play Morrowind on a handheld since I was a kid (also I have a loooong flight coming up).

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

https://modding-openmw.com has some good curated modlists for your various approaches. i used one when i did a run on openmw awhile ago and it was good.

Am I dumb or does this site not link to the mods themselves on Nexus or whatever? I like to know what I'm installing and some of the descriptions are trash

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

each mod has a link to a "download page." if it's on nexus, that's a nexus link, but a lot of Morrowind modding is old and is located elsewhere.

Turns out I am dumb! Thank you very much