Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

What's funnier is that this is the remake. The original didn't match up to his vision, so he redid it from scratch. :psyduck:

Edit: at least this is merely WTF and not the usual :nws::nms: Nexus anime/furdick crap.
Hahaha, always amazed when people bring up Muffinwind in this day and age. I'm the author :v:

The story behind is appropriately stupid. There was a thread on the Elder Scrolls forums in... 2005, must have been, about how the in-game "muffin" (an easter egg you can find on one of the plantations) should have a unique model instead of just being a renamed loaf of bread. This was a bit before cosmetic/food/whatever mods were really in fashion, so the idea was an amusing novelty. Eventually, someone made a muffin model, and this led to the predictable hilarious jokery about how it would be so zany and random if there was an epic quest mod based on muffins. Being fourteen and being entirely swept up in early-to-mid-2000s internet culture, I volunteered. I am not proud.

Still, I think the end mod turned out a lot better than expected, and it proved pretty popular and enduring, if never as famous as other quest mods of similar scope. That's fine by me, much as it started as a dumb joke which is faintly embarassing to recall, I'm proud that I had the dedication and attention span to put together something so ambitious over the course of a year when I was so young. It's probably that pride that led to me revisiting it years later to see what I would make of it, and subsequently wanting to do it "right" before I went to uni, kind of saying goodbye to the embarassingly huge part Morrowind and its modding community played in my teen years. It's more like a huge overhaul patch than a remake, fixing most aspects of it to a lesser or greater extent (juvenile dialogue, stupid unbalanced poo poo, cell clutter, bad lighting, buggy scripting etc - think I added a couple of sidequests too). The Enhanced Edition thing is a bit of a joke at CDProjekt's expense, it only really took me a month or so to make it.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There were a couple of horrifying text-based sex mods where you can visit brothels and do the brothel questlines (they had those, yes). One of them was called "The Kink Guild" or something and one of the highlights was a pair of nix-hounds who pooped on you.

I know about this because the author posted Muffinwind as an example of how Morrowind mods had just reached a point of being stupid and disrespectful to the source material

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Maybe late to the party but I just found out that Qarl died of liver disease in June :( Haven't spoken to him in a while, and his mods weren't necessarily my thing, but I still remember being there when The Underground was taking form - a mad, off-the-wall and ambitious as hell creation by a mind at least as ambitious, weird and buggy as it was. However fond of dedicating his time to creating video game fetish gear he was, he was a great, friendly guy who helped me out a lot, and I'm sorry to have lost touch with him. rip

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's by the same guy who made Deus Ex Machina, right? I really didn't like that one much - I feel bad, a lot of work went into it and it's technically an impressive effort, but it had the same problem of terrible layouts and nonsensical and aimless quests/directions. Also it used Homestuck music.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

does Tamriel Rebuilt have more than a handful of somewhat-buggy Telvanni and some decent low-level other quests yet? I think I last played it two, two and a half years ago. Holy poo poo, that was my last big Morrowind playthrough. I love what TR have done with the world, but I've always been a quest-oriented player, so I've never delved into it for more than a brief (and very rewarding) hike.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Right, gently caress it, reinstalling Morrowind. Any good new mods (particularly quests) that have come out in the last two years or so?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Does your pack work with MGSO or is there a bit of redundancy there? I'm not new to modding, but coming back after a break, so your effort's really appreciated :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jesus. The LGNPC Telvanni ones are ones I usually recommend - the most bloated and edgy ones tend to be the Redoran-based ones - but, uh... maybe I don't remember them as well as I thought I did.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

And after a couple of days of tweaking mods, I finally start the game, looking forward to finally getting back in...

...and get a black screen on new game with none of the OP's listed fixes working. That's the Morrowind I know :allears:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hmm, I'll give that a go. I was only playing for a few minutes before I left this morning, so I wasn't as patient as you... generally need to be with Morrowind.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Hmm, I'll give that a go. I was only playing for a few minutes before I left this morning, so I wasn't as patient as you... generally need to be with Morrowind.

this worked!!

Mortimer posted:

Stuporstar if you post that here I will love you forever. Rebirth has so much going for it, but at the cost of sanity :(
Rebirth seems like one of those annoying "kitchen sink" mods that kind of came into fashion with Oblivion/Skyrim. I love the enhanced cities, makes me feel like a kid entering Balmora for the first time again. I stumbled across a massive dungeon/ancestral tomb wandering past Pelagiad with no idea what I was getting into or where I was going, and ended up running for my life from a lich with some great loot in hand that I snatched from under his nose. I love it!

But it also has a lot of unnecessary "balance" tweaks that don't make the game more balanced, just less fun, it has this stupid restocking thing, it has awkward tavern sit-down-people floating a foot away from their chairs and getting in my way, it has a bunch of other stuff I don't care about, and I have to have it because apparently these things should be part of the same mod as everything else. What's a modularity?

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 23, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

So I asked this earlier but now I'm willing to offer a bribe for it, is it super terrible to mod in a summon mudcrab spell? I'll buy an upgrade of choice for anyone who makes one.
I can probably rustle one up if my modding skills haven't decayed more than I thought and I am shamelessly open to bribery, give me a day or so.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

also I still can't fuckin save outdoors even with MGSO's version of MGE

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I dunno, stuff like Distant Lands and the extra-nice shaders that some mods bring can take a lot of resources. My 2010 laptop can't do Distant Lands at anything past the bare minimum specs, I'd imagine that's what Ogg has in mind.
yeah i have a radeon 6870 and MGSO still gives me less than 10 fps in balmora lmao. morrowind engine is like eldritch-level lovely. it plumbs depths of lovely cyclopean sunken cities of turditutude that no man can look upon with sanity intact, like a version of BYOND that somehow gained sentience and slouched towards bethesda to be born.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hog Butcher posted:

I don't really want crazy MGSO poo poo, like, things like Better Bodies are nice but I mainly just want really nice textures and meshes.

Aside from like subtle HDR and maybe some lightshafts I am fine with not having crazy distant land because Morrowind is really tiny when you can see it all.
yeah the worst part about this is that i have half the really draining stuff off and distant land limited to a few cells away - enough to let me see things that are pretty and far away but not enough to see the entire island, which is boring. i'm guessing the culprit is maybe more morrowind rebirth than anything, which to be honest i'm going to keep using but have to say isn't really that great overall.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I can't remember what the good one was between GHD and Sixth House. The good one lets you crash the moon into Vivec's palace, I remember that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Did some looking and it's definitely Great House Dagoth, which is also much better written. Sixth House is fun but buggy and is really cartoonishly evil.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is there a semi-balanced version of Magical Trinkets of Tamriel? I downloaded v4, wandered into a random bandit cave and found a trinket in every single barrel and crate I looked in. Had to be about 10000 gold's worth in the first room alone. Little bit ridiculous. I don't remember it being like this last time I played with it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Is that the one that has floaty magical stones (ioun stones?) which give you buffs?
Yeah, it has a lot of dumb fiddly things, but a lot of cool stuff too. I just remember it being a bit harder to find the things, rather than finding them in every loving crate.

Omi-Polari posted:

Welp I've stumbled across the Muffinwind house. It's muffins all the way down from here on out.
:getin:

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 6, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Keening's terrible damage stats always really bothered me

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I couldn't help but be kind of disappointed at how... unmagisterly the player ends up being in Rise of House Telvanni, especially since I was playing it alongside Uvirith's Legacy or whatever the good one was.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

awesome a new version of MCA came out (a few weeks ago) with all the terrible anime hair and other bad bloated things removed

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/6006/

quote:

- Tweaked all scripts to improve performance, and removed many unnecessary ones.
- MCA is no longer dependent on 'Westly's Master Head Pack', and uses only vanilla
heads and hairs (aside from a few custom heads assigned to companions). Download a
pluginless replacer if you want pretty heads again.
- Changed the way NPC parties spawn to improve performance.
- Removed Rangers and Bounty Hunters.
- Warriors and Archers no longer spawn with mismatched armour.
- Rogues no longer carry shields.
- Added some new tabards and helmets for the Knights to wear.
- Removed all Undead creatures. Download 'The Undead v4.0' to bring them back.
- Created new icons for the Sixth House equipment.
- Fixed the Daedric Bat bug in the Tamriel Rebuilt add-on, and an issue where some
NPCs in interiors wouldn't spawn when they were supposed to.
- Created add-ons for Westly's 'Khajiit Diversity Revamped' and 'Fine Clothiers of
Tamriel', Korana's 'Peasant Gowns Replacer' and Illuminiel's 'Oh My Goddess'.
- Numerous other tweaks and fixes.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah, I'll worry about that when the mainland is finished and has all its quest chains complete, in... uh... 2027.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lmao morrowind rebirth outright removes the hair shirt of st kingdoms of alamur from the game world. I checked in the CS and everything. The item still exists, he just deleted the instance of it that's placed in the game, making the temple questline impossible without the console. For no reason. Good mod.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Here's a bug list at least, some of them are pretty wow. http://www.uesp.net/text.shtml?dagger/files/patch213.txt

edit: still looking for the one where slaughterfish would come out of the water and chase you around
How can you forget this one:

quote:

* The Create Item spell has been updated. It no longer creates items
that do not exist in the game.

edit:

quote:

You will no longer start the game with negative spell points after you created your character. The problem with the negative hit points still exists however.

The bug where instead of having to pay money to summon Daedra, you get paid money has been fixed. You will no longer get paid to do this.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mortimer posted:

but then the event that happens doesn't

chalk it up to chim?
to be the honest the idea of a Vvardenfell that simultaneously does and doesn't exist floating around Nirn while the sort-of-ghostly semi-real inhabitants shout rude words at every other race in the world sounds like something that would suit the Dunmer perfectly

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tamriel Rebuilt is really pretty and fun to explore for a few hours but I still feel like there isn't much to do outside of maybe map 1, and even it still has some quests and poo poo that are coming "eventually". I know, playing Morrowind for the quests lol, but I like to have a goal to point me in a direction and find interesting things along the way. TR just feels like... you stumble across cool and weird places sometimes, but all you can really do is look at them and nod appreciatively. It's fun for a few hours but I wish there was more to it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

That's what I did and I ended up with a spear-wielding, lantern carrying, Khajiit abolitionist :unsmith:

edit: unrelated, but are there any full tilt gambling mods for Morrowind? I wanna shoot some dice with some Khajiit in a dingy skooma den somewhere.
You want Haldenshore and Havish by JOG. Old but brilliant quest/city mods that focus on thieves' guild poo poo. Havish is the better mod by far - one of my favourites, actually - but Haldenshore really nails the dingy thieves' guild atmosphere and has a full-scale gambling den, adding an even seedier, smaller ramshackle gambling/smuggling town near Seyda Neen.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mournhold was cool but the balancing and story were idiotic. Hm, okay, I can choose to serve either a sexy goddess lady or the King who tried to have me assassinated. Hm, okay, sexy goddess lady is clearly batshit insane and wants me to flood Mournhold with ash storms for no reason whatsoever. Can I side with the King after all? Nope, but when I asked him why he sicced assassins on me (the reason I came here in the first place), he says "I dunno lol" and I say "lol kk" and now I'm railroaded into helping the crazy goddess do stupid poo poo because she's my ex and someone on the writing team was going through a very strange time with his estranged wife, and also the sewers are full of goblins with wonky wooden clubs that do more damage than legendary Daedric warhammers. Tribunal is salvaged by all the cool things to discover and get involved in around the city.

Bloodmoon is overall really good but weird as gently caress, nothing about the setting or lore fits into the game in any way whatsoever and even a lot of the models and textures feel like they're from a completely different aesthetic. It's a bizarrely disjointed experience, but hey, Solstheim and Raven rock are fun.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 20, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I didn't like Rise of House Telvanni much because, even though it was technically really well-designed, you really never feel like the Archmagister, with all the dumb metal hauling quests and the ridiculous female Magister that comes in out of nowhere halfway through good lord. I was playing it alongside I think Uvirith's Legacy and the comparison was jarring - I went from holding court in my rad magic citadel to decide the lives of peons to running around mopping up ghosts for a Mary Sue Original Character Donut Steele.

I loved Suran Underworld when I was like 14-15 and I still think it's pretty impressive for an older mod, but... Bloodfang Tong.

Illuminated Order is rad, Vivec's Fate is cool especially for being from like 2003, Lost Heir is so buggy I never finished the loving thing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mortimer posted:

I can't wait to sift through journal entries in the construction set again.
I spent far too many years of my life doing exactly this for too many poo poo quest mods to name :negative:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

holy poo poo they've actually gone loving mental. Took longer than I expected at least.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I found am Amulet of Almsivi Teleportation last night. It's pretty badass. I've never found this item before but when I go to equip it it pulls up a drop down list of Tribunal Temples that I can port over to. And it doesn't even cost a charge to use that part of it. It also has a clicky Almsivi spell effect.

Did I luck out with a random drop or is this an item that normally drops somewhere? I don't even remember how I got it but it's a total god send for getting around.

I'm running the Morrowind Graphics overhaul but no other mods so I don't think it was modded in or anything.
click on it in the console and type "ori", it'll tell you where it comes from

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

rip bonzibuddy

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rebirth is horrible, don't use it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I think I posted my running experienced with it ITT, but a standout was that the author’s obsession with ~balance~ at the cost of all fun, atmosphere and character was so great that he apparently decided that the Hair Shirt of St Aumanator was unbalanced or something, because he removed it from the game entirely and made the Temple questline impossible to complete.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I do want to point out that I think the new music in Rebirth sounds great and fits in with Morrowind's original soundtracks. Worth downloading just to extract those MP3s, imo.
That's true. There's lots of cool stuff in it, its problem is 100% being one of the dumb everything-and-the-kitchen-sink mods that came into fashion around the time of Oblivion, as did most bad things in life. You can't just change up the cities and make them cool and expanded, you have to add dungeons and spell effects and fix "bugs" that aren't bugs (such as merchants having money, and giving you said money when you give them items in the barter window - weird bug that was!!) and rebalance everything and add frankly bizarre poo poo like random dialogue and sound effects and sexy Daedroths

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 10, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Atrayonis posted:

Speaking of quest mods, I stumbled upon this and it sounds fun, but I have no idea how good or bad it is.
2008 also means it skipped most of the early Morrowind age when lore was that esoteric thing Tolkien had.
I consume quest mods like E/N consumes divorcees but I've never heard of this one and "* Climb up and down the mast and steer the ship (not in real time)" made me laugh as a feature because what he means is he made a door and gave it a ladder/wheel model.

Though it does remind me of, and is probably far less buggy and far more impressive than the horrible Snakes on a Plane boat-based quest I made when I was sixteen, but that's not saying much. I have a friend who occasionally reminds me about times where I came into school, earnestly told him that I'd remade the Oblivion climax with a giant chicken called Cluckatosh, assured him it was the funniest thing ever made and then fallen asleep. It was a bad time for me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

The delay in releases has been attributed to, as many of you may already well know, a major restructuring in our project.
"The delay in releases has been blamed, by some, on the fact that we went crazy and shat everywhere"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You uh might want to start a little smaller to be honest.