Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

I got a box of games one day from my uncle (RIP) and found Morrowind and Deus Ex among them. I bounced off both, and came back to them a year or two later, and they're my favorite games of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Is there an upper limit the amount of LUA mods one can safely run? My game has been pretty unstable lately, and I think it's all these MWSE mods I've collected.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Private Speech posted:

There is a memory limit I managed to hit by having many tens of gigabytes of active data files and gigabytes of mods, but otherwise probably not if your fps is otherwise okay (if it's not it could indicate a script load problem, but probably still more due to a bug than actual processing load, especially with a modern cpu).

e: the memory limit involved merging in a large majority of all landscape mods ever released, among other things - the starting point was abbots megamod install which itself merges several hundred mods, my save files were well in the hundreds of megabytes each

My data files folder has about 30 gigs in it lol - not all of which is being actively used, mind you.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Sorry to corner you on SA mort, but apparently Stealth Improved is causing weird crashes for people.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49614?tab=posts

I don't think I've encountered this one, but I rarely check my MWSE log these days lol

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

mbt posted:

yea mwse changed some stuff on the back end and I got too wrapped up in tr stuff to fix it

Gotcha. Axe it from my MWSE folder for now, then?

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

mbt posted:

ok just went to check, this person is full of poo poo. one person reporting some weird crash when loading 10000 mwse mods is not my problem. I can't replicate it even trying to break it.

Fair enough! Thanks for checking :)

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

I've run into a similar issue with the Escaped Slave background. No headhunters coming to put my Argonian tail six feet under after 11 levels.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

FlocksOfMice posted:

If you look in the CS, it's meant to call on NPCs who don't actually exist in the file. I messaged him about it a while ago and he says he's aware of it and it's just, not finished yet?

Yeah, I've put it on his radar in the past (in 2020, actually) but meh. It's not that big a deal.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Speaking of Brother Juniper's...

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

The culmination of all human endeavor has finally come to pass.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

mbt posted:

it finished way too late to our release to be properly reviewed so it didn't make it in. it's done theoretically but not merged

at this rate it might end up in the next release which is like halfway done somehow

There, uhhh, any pre-release plugins for that floatin' around, or...? Asking for a friend.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

mbt posted:

Everything is freely available at the site under development->release files

Ah, gotcha. So would the new Thieves Guild stuff be found in the latest TR_Update? Pre-release warts and all, of course.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

mbt posted:

probably not, it gets merged when it gets reviewed and I don't think its made it that far. you can download that from its page directly (account probably needed)
https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/claims/andothren-tg-questline

Thanks!

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

FactsAreUseless posted:

Doing Temple quests in Andothren and lmao at the rear end in a top hat priest who got mad at me for not killing an orc and then gave me a copy of The Pig Children as a quest reward.

Love that guy, he's like a prosperity gospel con artist, except for ALMSIVI.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

FactsAreUseless posted:

He got pissed at me for spending money on food for the poor because we don't have the budget for it

If Almalexia truly loved those wretches they wouldn't be starving. :smuggo:

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Every time May rolls around it's like a shotgun blast of mods hitting me in the face, it's wonderful.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Dragomorph posted:

Tel Eurus: Keep; good questline, keeps to itself. Could use some dialogue editing but what else is new.

Agreed, a very good bunch of quests that really lean into the strangeness of the lore.

Dragomorph posted:

Astrologian's Guild: Same as above. Only concern is that it clashes lore-wise with how TR envisions a similar guild but eh.

I liked this one by the same mod author a bit less. The wheels really start to fall off toward the end with a pretty boring dungeon crawl. Other than that, it was still decent.

Dragomorph posted:

Secrets of the Crystal City: Hangin' round with a bunch of escaped slaves in my free mansion where I hoard my poo poo in an area with a Daedric statue of Boethiah shredding a guitar like a stone-cold motherfucker yes please

More beautiful than anything else. I didn't find the quests that interesting, despite the obvious effort that went into everything. Made my computer slow to a loving crawl, so that may be coloring my attitude toward it.

Dragomorph posted:

Caldera Mine: Seems interesting but is kind of buggy and out of date and the one House I ever feel comfortable with playing is the questline that's the most bugged out. Remove, I guess. :saddowns:

Agreed, buggier than a wasp's nest, but I like what it does to the mine itself so I keep it around for that reason alone.

Dragomorph posted:

Dark Brotherhood: Not sure why I have this at all aside from mod list because, again, terminal boring syndrome. I am at peace with myself about this even if it meant never getting the rad horse in Oblivion.

Which one? I played this one and, despite it kinda needing an editing pass, I found it more entertaining than the vanilla Morag Tong quest line. There's actually like several takes on the Dark Brotherhood floating around out there, including To Serve Sithis (played this years ago, don't remember a lot but it's pretty Oblivion-y) and Caeris' Vvardenfell Brotherhood, whose writing might be fine to some, but I do not vibe with at all. I think the one I listed first is pretty much the best and most vanilla take on the faction.

And since you solicited suggestions: Brother Juniper's Twin Lamps. A very old quest mod, but holds up remarkably well, and it lets you be a nice guy. :) Recently got a remake, too, so hopefully all the early 2000s-era jank has been purged.

You might be interested in LGNPC's Pax Redoran if you're a habitual enjoyer of that faction, but LGNPC is a bit polarizing (with good reason - the writing often feels overbloated and outdated in tone, but it depends on the author). Regardless, I like this one in particular because it gives Redoran players a lot more to do during that quest line, and even adds some post faction leader quests where you can decide on policy and stuff like that. I consider it a must-have for that reason alone.

And I'll do a bit of shameless self-promotion and drop a link to the quest mod I recently co-produced, A Lovers' Quarrel, taking place in TR's Necrom (tragically underused, but there's plans to rectify that in the future) and involving Temple skullduggery.

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 8, 2023

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

V for Vegas posted:

You're in luck, a mod just went up on Nexus that keeps the landscape changed but strips out all the quests.

Oh, I downloaded this within an hour of it dropping haha. RP is a gem.

Dragomorph posted:

Now THAT, on the other hand. I've been an Americanist academic historian too long not to take perverse pleasure in playing active participant in Morrowind's Underground Railroad.

(As a side note to this, am I the only one who suspects there's more than a few folks involved in TR who are themselves historians? Their museum in Firewatch is one of the most museumy museums I've ever seen in a game, and a lot of the lore considerations especially regarding slavery seem to be at least somewhat informed by actual historical research into various forms of slavery globally.)

Sweet, enjoy :) Despite singing its praises, I think my main issue with this mod would be that it's too centered on the importance of Vvardenfell over the rest of the province when it comes to the institution of slavery, but that's hardly the author's fault, since there wasn't much of a mainland to speak of back then.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

all as the holy ALMSIVI intended

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Drone posted:

I have a problem with TR: every time I get in the Morrowind mood and want to finally dive into TR, they post an update on the next upcoming expansion that's still probably months away, and it makes me want to not sink time into the current version (which will, someday, become the old version!).

I realize this is a stupid problem.

Something that really works for me is using an alternate start mod (such as the excellent CREL), starting in the Mainland, and just not touching the main quest at all. Give yourself a goal, such as completing a local quest chain, and go from there. This leads to somewhat shorter playthroughs, but a lot of build variety, which can be a lot of fun!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Something about morrowind really does it for me, but man I wish the game had like slightly more alive feeling NPCs.

Friends and Foes is probably what you want. It's a more modern take on Morrowind Comes Alive.

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 20, 2024

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Drone posted:

The old Telvanni stuff here is probably not worth doing, right? I know they've mentioned a bunch that it's going to get a big revamp at some point.

Correct, but way down the line. Probably. They surprise me sometimes with what they say they're working on. I know Almalexia will likely be dead last.

Anyway, the Telvanni stuff isn't bad by any stretch, but it definitely pales in comparison to the new TR content. There's a lengthy quest chain for Master Mithras, the lord of Ranyon-ruhn, so he offers the most Telvanni questing by far. I think some other councilors have minor errands as well, but none of it is memorable.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Jay Rust posted:

What is everyone’s favorite mod to « manage » cliff racers?

This one: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48292

Requires MWSE, but it's fully configurable.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, I can't find bed rolls, waterskins, or flint and steel for sale in Old Ebonheart. I would have thought Ashfall would have added them to the general lists that merchants have? I've checked pawn brokers, general goods dealers, and an outfitter. I really don't want to travel back to Vvardenfell just to get the basics.

You can solve this easily by climbing into the Mod Configuration Menu (a new option you should see when you press the escape button or on the main menu, assuming you have MWSE properly installed and enabled) and looking for an option under Ashfall that allows you to choose which merchants to add to a "white list" of suppliers. Your best bet would be to go to the merchant in question, click on them via the console (tilde "~") and check what their ref ID is (for TR it'll typically be something like "TR_M2_John_Doe"). Then, go into the aforementioned MCM menu for Ashfall and add that merchant ID to the white list.

After that, you'll want to exit the cell that the merchant is in (should be easy if they're in an interior) and then re-enter. They should now have the supplies you want. To streamline this, you may wanna go to the TR wiki and check out who the merchants are for a particular city so you can just quickly add them all to the white list.

Hope that made sense!

hifi posted:

Been playing starwind and major kudos for what it is but the game is rough basically past the first planet.

Agreed. It's badly written and I fell off after a few planets.

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 4, 2024

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oh dang, I hadn't thought of that at all. Yes, that does help, thanks!

Any time :)

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

a7m2 posted:

Are there any good mods for House Hlaalu and Redoran? Seems like Telvanni gets all the lov. Also from me, I pick them every time, but this time I'm thinking of going Hlaalu or Redoran.

For Hlaalu there's stuff like Hlaalu Business, which adds more quests. I remember enjoying them. The mod apparently needs cleaning, but it never gave me issues.

There's also Roleplay Options, which lets you attain quest objectives via different dialogue paths and faction synergies. It's not too fundamental, though.

House Hlaalu Redux is part of an ongoing "redux" project that seeks to overhaul the rewards given by the game's quest lines. It doesn't really add any new quests, but could complement one (or all) of the above mods.

Aside from Hlaalu Business, there's not much that adds a ton of content. If you want new content, I highly recommend the new Hlaalu quest chains for Tamriel Rebuilt, which are excellent.

For Redoran...

There's also Redoran Redux lol. It does the same thing as Hlaalu Redux. Other than that, there's a few loose, scattered quest mods on Nexus if you search "Redoran."

To get to the elephant in the room, the obvious choice for a vast, sweeping quest chain for Redoran is LGNPC Pax Redoran. I'll wait for the boos to die down. The LGNPC series adds new dialogue for NPCs. Too much dialogue, honestly. It's not well-looked upon by modern players, and for mostly good reason cause it has some really heinous offerings (Pelagiad and Hla Oad, both of which feature "oh you thought i was a stupid peasant? turns out i'm an edgelord assassin" characters)

However. I like Pax Redoran cause it provides that fantasy of controlling the faction's destiny. There's a lot of quests to do, a few interesting story arcs, and a generous amount of content even after you've risen to the top. I also think it hones in really well on Redoran's general theme of chivalry and hidebound traditionalism.

Using any LGNPC mod comes with the caveat that you'll see a lot of thinly veiled (and extremely dated) pop culture references, spotty grammar in a few places, and, yeah, way too much loving dialogue. It's a mixed bag. But one I have a fondness for. Until Tamriel Rebuilt slowly wheels its way toward Redoran territory, it's my top choice for that faction. Oh, and Pax Redoran conflicts with Redoran Redux, so you can't have both. :shrug:

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 7, 2024

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Krowley posted:

Molag Mar is a redoran stronghold with an open slave market. None of the houses are anti slavery, because slavery is legal and whoever doesn't have them is just gonna get stomped by the others.

Is there a decent Twin Lamps abolitionist quest mod?

Sorry to doublepost but yes, Brother Juniper's Twin Lamps. Recently remastered and still holds up after 15-20 years or however long it's been. :)

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Jay Rust posted:

Imperial cult trip report:
I'd never done the imperial cult quests before, soooo i'm guessing they were designed by a different team than every other quest in the game?

It was written by Ken Rolston, who also did the main quest. I've never gone through it - my understanding is that it's mostly boring fetch quests with some artifact hunting toward the end. To climb on my TR soap box again, I think the Cult quests for Firewatch are really drat good by comparison, with lots of hunting around for obscure lore and smiting heretics.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

The Imperial Cult quests are cool and good :(

I'm planning a cult character soon with a slate of paladin-flavored quest mods, so we'll see if I change my opinion!

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

heartwarming anecdote

:3: I think this is the best way to treat LGNPC. Just as an opportunity to establish a bond with one or two NPCs who have a lot to say. Exhausting the dialog options for every character is an exercise in madness.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

I know it's not TR's fault, but I walked for fifteen real life minutes on a quest that culminated in a fight in a guildhall and the FIRST THING I said to myself was "now. Don't accidentally hit a guild member". First swing, kicked out of guild, crime reported. I hadn't saved.

that's how it is on this bitch of a nirn

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

SettingSun posted:

You see, that speaks to the depth and quality of the story for that to be a legitimate argument to be made. Moon-and-Star *was* given that enchantment by Azura, huh...

It was crafted by the Dwemer, in fact, to help Nerevar be more persuasive. A symbol of his office as Hortator, basically, and supposedly enchanted to prevent anyone who wasn't him from wearing it. This was back when the Dwemer and Chimer were buddies, of course.

Whether Moon-and-Star was, in fact, enchanted to kill anyone who wasn't him is a matter of legend. Like everything else surrounding the prophecies, it's ambiguous.

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 29, 2024

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

codo27 posted:

Imagine an alternate timeline where elon isn't such a foul piece of navel lint and funds projects like this so they can reasonably see completion.

I wonder if they'll ever try their hand at rolling the entire known world into one game.

Project Tamriel, Tamriel Rebuilt's sister project, has you covered.

https://www.project-tamriel.com/index.php?sid=a43374f3b63ac06decbb81cb1bab6f22

The isle of Stirk is Province Cyrodiil's contribution to the project, and they've got County Anvil coming some time in the future - either this year or the next.

Skyrim: Home of the Nords is more immediately impressive, in my opinion, and has lots to do. Two big cities to explore, various ruins, and lots of quests.

All this said, I wouldn't expect anything like a fully realized Tamriel before, uh... 2040? At minimum.

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Nexus: Wake up dear, it's time for your annual May Modathon.

My bloated load order: Yes, honey...

chaosapiant posted:

If I’m remembering right, daedra worship is outlawed by The Tribunal, so underground cults gotta make do where they can.

Can anyone confirm if I’m remembering correctly?

Worship of the Four Corners is certainly illegal and persecuted by the Ordinators. Worship of the Anticipations seems to be more tolerated. There's a big, notably un-toppled statue of Azura right there on the coastline, and the Morag Tong are widely understood to be worshipers of Mephala. Poor Boethiah is stuck hanging out with the fishes off the coast of Hla Oad until you restore their shrine, but I digress.

My personal head canon is that, under the reactionary leadership of people like Berel Sala, the Ordinators probably spend a lot more time than usual beating up anyone whose worship doesn't fall within the strictest Temple orthodoxy, which probably includes daedra worshipers of any stripe. Organizations like the Morag Tong might be frowned at, but are too secretive and integrated into Dunmer society to harass directly, so this abuse would typically fall on isolated worshipers and proscribed groups like the Dissident Priests.

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 1, 2024