Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bobstar posted:

Huh I thought it was a fairly common thing. Happens on shopping sites sometimes. Of all my hatred for advertising and invasiveness, it ranks pretty low, I was just interested in how it's done and if it's easy preventable.

Saw it today on Uniqlo's site and this random link someone sent me

https://www.onecompress.com/products/oneglove

An even weirder one I saw recently was a door handle shop which changed the page title to "We miss you!" when you went to a different tab...

Use a browser that blocks tracking methods and it won't do this. In the gecko rendering engine (Firefox) vein there's:

1: "Hardened Firefox": Basically a standard Firefox that you run https://github.com/arkenfox/user.js/ over each time it updates to lock down the ability of Mozilla and websites to track and fingerprint you.

2: Librewolf: Which is more or less a fork of firefox with the above hardening already pre-done so you don't have to keep applying it with updates. It can get (slightly) behind the mainline firefox in updates, though that's unlikely to be an issue for practical purposes.

Klyith posted:

Not an extension, that's Brave that does randomized fingerprinting. So you'd have to switch browsers.

However I don't know that a random fingerprint is really better than just blocked fingerprinting. Firefox already blocks third-party fingerprinting with default settings. EFF Privacy Badger does more.

TBQH I think the best solution is to use adblock with aggressive script blocking on, because blocking tracking scripts from running in the first place is better than trying to spoof a fingerprint.

The idea to avoid fingerprinting is to make you blend into the pack. Just blocking all attempts at gathering info on your system actually makes you incredibly easy to spot because very few people do this. Both Brave and hardened Firefox spoof a lot of fingerprinting data to make you blend in with the pack.

Edit: Think of it like this. Who would you notice less? Someone looking INCREDIBLY obviously like they are trying to sneak around in a crowd with a big cloak over them, mask on and hunched over to hide their hight? Or someone who looks perfectly average with some additional stage makup on and some hair dye to change their hair from blond to brown?

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm confused; is this doing anything more than modifying preferences? Because if not, you can accomplish the exact same thing without requiring a platform-specific script to be run.

Firefox supports setting specific preferences in firefox/distribution/policies.json - and as a bonus, it can also lock them so they cannot be changed.

That's what it's doing, yes. But it's taking the decision of having to pour over thousands of flags to set by the user and choose the best practices to limit fingerprinting, tracking, and metrics gathering automatically.

Klyith posted:

This is a bad analogy. Nobody's looking at individual data like a cartoon detective with a magnifying glass. It's all just going into huge databases to be churned for ad targeting etc. Blocking a fingerprinting script doesn't look like someone obviously trying to hide: the scripts fail to run and report back nothing.

Blocking just doesn't work if a data collector has alternate methods, like integration directly with the 1st party site. Or if the site you're visiting is just selling data about all visitors directly. Trying to hide from facebook while browsing facebook is a challenge. If you are a privacy maximalist and trying to prevent 1st party data collection, you need all of:
• blocking or clearing cookies, local storage, and cache
• a VPN subscription for IP hiding
• fingerprint spoofing from specialty browsers (or firefox's built-in and super annoying privacy.resistFingerprinting mode)

Fingerprint spoofing alone is no better than blocking if you're not doing the other two. So the question is, how much of a privacy maximalist is someone trying to be?

Nothing about hardened firefox or brave will stop Facebook from tracking you while on Facebook of course. They don't even block first party trackers (which is what they would be while on facebook) because it would break like half of the web.

If you want to use facebook/youtube/reddit/etc without tracking you need to use a vpn and not log in or use a privacy frontend like Invidious which comingles the user requests from a bunch of users, without them being logged in, and without exposing your IP to the end site.

Of course up to you whether you trust a random invidious node to not be hoovering up your videos your watching and logging your IP itself.

There is a plugin that will auto-redirect you to the Invidious type sites when you try to visit the main site.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/libredirect/

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 15, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Sure, so the person doing the list could publish a json-formatted thing for it, instead of giving people scripts to run.

There's a gui that lets you explore what all it does if that's your jam.

https://github.com/arkenfox/gui
https://arkenfox.github.io/gui/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Same, and I even recommend trying out first-party isolation -- in about :config, set privacy.firstparty.isolate to True -- which effectively puts every site you visit in its own "container". (Just be aware that just by doing what it does, it'll break things like single-sign-on or signing in using your Google account. So if you use those, this option probably isn't for you.)

privacy.firstparty.isolate will break A LOT of logins. More than just SSO with google/amazon/apple/microsoft. But a lot that a referral link to a login domain when then brings you back to the original one after logged in.

I'd recommend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/ over that as it lets you define domains to keep in the same container (really useful for google services where you have a half dozen you might use like maps.google.com, gmail.google.com, docs.google.com which you probably couldn't log into with domain isolation.

You can also use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/temporary-containers/ for your general browsing which will still do above domain isolation listed above for stuff you don't need to log into. You can even set the temp containers delete history (and they already nuke any cookies in them regardless) when they are closed so you leave a nice tidy history for yourself of only visiting the safe and respectable sites.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Firefox on Android plopped two sponsored links into the homepage section today. Annoying, but at least I could turn them off.

I don't use Firefox on android because it doesn't have cross-site isolation (yet), so I'd recommend a chromium browser for there. Bromite is well liked and includes an adblocker by default. Brave also performs well, but has the crypto garbage (which can be opted out of) and a lovely CEO.

If you do want to use a firefox-type browser on android though Mull is the go-to which strips out all the extra mozilla crap and implements as many of the anti-fingerprinting and tracking settings as can be done for the mobile version. If you want to stick with google play store and still stick with firefox on mobile, try Firefox Focus.

https://github.com/Divested-Mobile/mull-fenix
You can get Mull on f-droid.

Here's a comparison.
https://privacytests.org/android.html

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 21, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

So in general I'm liking Mull, but setting general.useragent.override in about :config to something fictional doesn't seem to work at all. Which means, with fennec abandoned, there's no more browser on android that both has uBlock origin and can reliably force all sites to load their desktop version at all times, I think.

Is Mull ignoring that setting the consequence of some privacy thing I can relax?

It wouldn't be so bad if the request desktop site slider in any of those Firefox derivatives kept working after reloading the page, but no.

Well one thing to start with is arkenfox (and firefox browsers that bake it in like Mull or Librewolf) also spoof your screen size. So just changing the user agent might still have the websites seeing your weird rear end aspect ratio and resolution and delivering a mobile experience anyway. The "request desktop site" toggle probably changes the reported canvas size too for websites.

At least on an arkenfox hardened desktop firefox it should be resetting any about :config flags to the defaults as defined by the script every time the browser is opened unless you have an override file in your profile folder in which case it'll favor those defaults.

You'd probably need root access to get to where android stores the firefox user profile page to add an override file for the flags you want to set (and I can't guarantee it'd survive an app update either).

I would think that about :config flag settings **should** generally hold you for the session you're currently on though.

Barring that, you said, there's always the built in toggle to go between mobile/desktop modes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Is there still no tab grouping in firefox? Still no PWA support?

These are things that drove me back to chrome a couple of years ago because they are so vital to a modern browser and Firefox baffingly didn't support them. Anything changed now?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Geemer posted:

Tabs should always open at the end of the list unless they're opened by dragging the link to a different location. Any half baked attempts at grouping by relation are bad. Hth op.

I use it all the time for work. Have 7 tabs open for google sheets, sites, ect for Project A. Another 4 open for Project B. 3 open for just general timekeeping/overall work email etc.

Those go in seperate tab groups. They can be minimized easily but all stay in the same "Work" window.

If something is getting out of control I can drag the whole tab group into a new window with one click.

Its sooooo much better.

Even my personal browser I do this. Like if I'm searching for a new guitar to purchase. Group all the guitar research together in one tab group. If I need to pause on that just minimize it and it's a nice little tidy tab at the top with 15 tabs hidden ready to resume when I come back to it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tamba posted:

I'm using Tree Style Tabs instead of tab groups

This sort of does it, but then you have the row of tabs at top still so it's a ton of wasted space.

Can someone explain to me the value of vertical tabs? I've been seeing like 5 different browsers try to implement it and it seems awful. It uses up like 1/5 of the screen real estate to show you all the pages you don't have open.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 9, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Just noticed that Firefox Beta for android now allows searching a much bigger pool of extensions

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm giving Floorp a shot, which is built on Firefox's ESR stream. The defaults privacy defaults don't cripple the usecase like Librewolf does and it's got the Vivaldi sidebars if that's your jam (you can turn them off if you don't like 'em). I like it so far. Might switch off Brave for it.

Still mind-boggling that Firefox doesn't support PWA's for anything other than windows though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

101 posted:

BetterFox is a great starting point for user.js stuff.

No breakage compared to arkenfox/Librewolf where I had quite a few issues.

Yeah, I saw that Floorp has a page where you can apply the various betterfox configs.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What's wrong with librewolf? I haven't used it.

The defaults make a lot of the internet basically unusable, and you'll spend a ton of time relogging into everything (or janitoring all the sites you whitelist to keep cookies)

Waterfox is another firefox fork that's got more sane defaults while cutting out Mozilla's cruft. I don't think anyone has found anything objectionable with either Librewolf, Waterfox, or Floorp from a security standpoint. But if any of them can't keep up with Firefox release cadence then that becomes a security issue.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Framboise posted:

Started using Firefox again after like 12 years of Chrome just because I realized I could have adblock on my phone that way, and decided to go all in and import everything over on my PC too.

Dear god reading the forums on my phone is terrible though, it's so tiny. If I try to adjust the size of the text it throws the formatting of the forums off, though.

There's an app for Android and iOS that make the experience a lot better.
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/awful-sa-forums-browser/id567936609
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ferg.awfulapp

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Atopian posted:

Anyone got a link to an apk for the appstore-challenged?

I don't know why you aren't using the appstore but whatever. Github (and Gitlab) also support RSS feeds, so you can subscribe to them to get notified when a new release is published.

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/releases.atom

You can either just add it to your existing rss reader or install a seperate one and only drop rss feeds in for applications you have installed and treat that like an "appstore updates available" notification.

This is a simple reader that would probably work for that purpose.
https://github.com/Ashinch/ReadYou

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I imagine that Brave will become a lot more popular next year as its built-in adblocker should be unaffected by manifest v3 as they don't even use that API for it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Klyith posted:

Vivaldi is going to keep manifest v2 active in their codebase even after google disables it in chrome/chromium. (Opera and Brave will be joining them in this, so all 3 of the indie chromium browsers will be working together.)

The question will be, how much effort will it take to keep it working & undo google's changes? They don't know, because they don't know what google will be doing to the code. But they're gonna try.

IMO there are reasons to think they will be successful. The chromium codebase, from everything I've ever heard people say, is very organized and modular. I feel like google would have to go out of their way to sabotage things... which is something they very well might do, but not right away at least.

So if I used Vivaldi as my main browser, I would just sit tight and keep using it, while checking in occasionally to their blog to see how things are going.

Vivaldi also has an internal adblocker. I'm pretty sure the only difference is that vivaldi by default only has easylist turned on, which is the "less aggressive, don't break sites" list. You can make vivaldi equally effective as brave if you add good filters.

But if you are a skilled UBO user, there is no comparison. The problems with both brave and vivaldi compared to UBO:
* no script blocking
* the only per-site UI is "on or off"

Running aggressive filters means you get broken sites sometimes, and with UBO you can usually un-break them without having to totally disable blocking. 3rd party script blocking in UBO is amazing but even more fiddly.

I don't know about Vivaldi, since Brave is my choice of a Chromium backup, but you can absolutely block scripts with the built-in Brave blocker. I use it to block JavaScript subscribe nags on news sites.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I've had that issue sometimes on macos. I've just taken to slapping the copy keyboard shortcut a few times.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

nielsm posted:

Does an extension like this exist?

A way to override DNS for specific names. Say I'm migrating a website to a new server, and I want to verify its function on the new server, but actually reconfiguring DNS would be a service interruption, modifying the site and all dependents to use a different name would be a gigantic task, and editing the computer 'hosts' file requires local administrator which I do not have. In that case, I'd like a way to tell the browser that "actually, foo.contoso.com has IP address 2.3.4.5, regardless of what anyone else might say".
Or does that open too many paths for abuse?

If you're using docker or podman you could probably modify /etc/hosts in a container and then wget/curl/whatever the site in question (from inside the container) to see if it looks okay. Pretty sure you'd have to modify the hosts file after it's spun up though, since normally docker/podman will grab the host system's /etc/hosts file to use inside the container, but after that they can diverge.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 22, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Brave's built in adblocker at least does not use the Manifest API at all so will be unaffected by the change.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

This is the same series of three complaints that people parrot it over and over again about Brave. That the CEO was a right-wing guy, that they did some ad injection experiments like a decade ago, and affiliate links half a decade ago. The fact is the most recent stuff that anyone can point to that Brave itself did is half a decade ago should really raise some flags that complaints about it are exaggerated.

While the CEO is kind of a jackass in his politics. As far as I know nothing about that has ever worked its way into the company, it's just his personal beliefs. If you're going to boycott a company because some C-suite guy is a right-wing douchebag then you're not going to be able to do business with any company in America.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

biznatchio posted:

It embraced and continues to push cryptocurrency as recently as last year. That's plenty reason enough to avoid it.

Any and all cryptocurrency stuff in Brave is opt-in. It's off by default. And I can't imagine that it's going to be a big push going forward with the huge crash that crypto had last year.

And even at its worst it doesn't use GPU mining or anything like that for its currency so even if you opt in it's not like you're wasting a bunch of energy or ruining the planet for some space bucks.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I do use Firefox as my primary browser though?

This derail started because someone got their knickers twisted after Brave and Vivaldi’s adblocks were mentioned as being unaffected by manifest 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

AI, Pocket, and layoffs, my favorite things!