Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm dreading Australis. In every other case their "streamlining" has been taking something that used to display some kind of status and moving it behind something that requires a mouseover or click. I hate my toolbar buttons being hidden or context-aware, and I want a bar at the bottom of the screen to show where links go without popping up some variable-length half-bar that flashes like crazy as you move your cursor over various links. Looks like they're putting a lot of effort into customization so hopefully I'll be able to get it the way I like it. I just counted and fully half the add-ons I have installed are just to undo previous UI tweaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So is it even going to be possible for an add-on to add the status bar back in Australis? What what you guys are saying it sounds like the new interface doesn't support creating additional bars.

three posted:

What's the "best practice" for handling Firefox updates in an enterprise? We're using Firefox ESR right now with auto updates turned off and our packaging team is manually packaging every new ESR release. This seems in-optimal.
That's how we do it at my place, other than turning automatic updates on and trusting users not to turn it off I'm not sure how else you'd do it. It's pretty easy to deploy, just a batch file to run the installer in silent mode pushed out through SCCM.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

xamphear posted:

Money has to be a real problem for Mozilla right now. Their current contract with Google ends in November of this year, and there's absolutely no way that they're going to be able to re-sign it at the current $300 million a year rate. Firefox simply doesn't have the market share it used to, and it's been losing it to Google's own Chrome. That combined with them pulling this ad thing out of their rear end must mean someone over at Mozilla is scrambling.

All of this just makes me continue to wonder... What the heck does Mozilla do with $300 million dollars a year?
I think Google will keep paying Mozilla as long as they want to keep the anti-trust regulators off their back. Not that the browser market is all that big of a factor in Google's Internet monopoly, but it seems to me that it serves them well to be able to say "We encourage competition, look, we give one of our major competitors major development money!" The same way Microsoft bailed out Apple when they were about to go under in the late 90's in the middle of their own anti-trust suit.

As a side note, Firefox, what's up with this? Why so angry?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Has anyone had this start happening for certain images in the last couple months? It's kind of a cool throwback to the eye-raping CGA era, but I'm assuming it's not intentional. It's rare, but it's happened on enough of a variety of sites that I can't believe it's all issues with the image files themselves. They display fine if you view them in other programs.

The page in my image: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/maint/ra/ra99.htm

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Alereon posted:

Make sure you have the latest video drivers from your GPU manufacturer's website (nVidia, Intel, or AMD).
I do, and I probably should have mentioned I'm on Linux. I haven't checked to see if I have the same symptoms on my Intel GPU laptop as on my Nvidia desktop, next time I'm on my laptop if I remember I'll look.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah careful with using sync to try to set up a new install, if you're not careful it likes to overwrite the settings of your old machine with the default settings from your new one. I don't know how it decides which setting gets precedence but you would think it wouldn't assume the settings on the new machine you just joined are the ones that need to get uploaded to the cloud. That option to replace all settings on the new device with the sync settings really should be the default whenever you pair something new. Maybe it is now, I haven't tried for a while.

Also syncing of add-ons has never worked for me, ever. I don't know what the deal is with that.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

crestfallen posted:

Is there a way to adjust the width of the scrollbars in Firefox? Is there a userchrome modification or something you can make?

I Google'd, and it seems like most of the references are for much, much older versions of Firefox. Like 3.x old or older.
I think that's controlled by the theme. The only way to customize it would be to tweak the files inside a theme package, and it might not be possible at all with the default theme

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nothing in the Fedora repos yet, they're usually a few days behind.

Guys I'm scared :ohdear:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Welp the Fedora repo finally got Firefox 29. I made it about 30 seconds before installing Classic Theme Restorer. I just don't get the logic of having the stop/reload buttons out there in the middle of nowhere at the end of URL bar rather than by the back/forward buttons where you're used to moving your mouse to anyway. That alone was a dealbreaker. Now after about 10 minutes of fiddling with settings all is well. But for all the talk of the hamburger button why is no one mentioning the new bookmarks stack of pancakes?

Nalin posted:

Status-4-Evar also creates an add-on bar that you can add icons to. The latest version that works with FF29 isn't linked to the addon's main page, though, so you have to manually install it from the version list.
This is the one I use, since it bundles the page loading statuses into the add-on bar. Without it all the loading information still flickers all over the place in that stupid little tab that appears and disappears, which I find incredibly distracting. But a little part of me dies inside every time I have to read "Evar".

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Bugsy posted:

Am I missing a setting or is right clicking on bookmarks not allowed anymore? Using Classic Theme Restorer and going from the bookmarks on the menu bar, not the new button on the toolbar.
Works for me on Linux and in my Win7 VM.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Superb Owls posted:

So you'll basically just get the same lovely comments as Youtube, just more verbose and coherent, right?

Anyway, I have a very minor problem with my Firefox installation (Version 29 Stable, if anyone asks) which is that the dollar sign (AKA $) is completely more bold than usual for some reason. Is there any way to fix it?
What platform are you on? Firefox should just be using the fonts installed on your system, if you set your word processor to use the same font at the same size is it bolder there too?

You can check Firefox's fonts in Options > Content > Fonts and Colors > Advanced

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Flipperwaldt posted:

For my curiosity, as much as possibly for your own convenience, you could try if you can get rid of it with Menu Editor. I'm on an older version of Firefox, so I can't guarantee it will work with FF32 and/or these icons.

The amount of crud in FF's context menus is absolutely ridiculous and I couldn't use this browser without this addon.
Thanks for this, I don't mind the normal context menu but I hate when addons decide they need to add themselves to it in addition to the toolbar or a regular menu. I don't need five ways to get to your otherwise-good addon, thank you.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

While we're (I feel justifiably) bitching about interface changes again, I know there's a few Mozilla people that read this thread, has there any internal discussion about this:

Source: http://netmarketshare.com/

Guess what changed at the end of April? I mean usage was dropping anyway, but it sure seems to have accelerated around version 29.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

beejay posted:

Ars Technica does their web analytics thing every once in a while, but I am not sure where they get their data. The web browser graph looks a lot like the one above.
Ars' articles are what led me to the site I sourced in my post. It seems weird to me there's that much disparity between sources. So never mind my comment I guess, I didn't realize it was that volatile.

Honestly I find it really hard to believe that Chrome is really ahead of IE, considering the amount of non-technical people I encounter who have no idea what a web browser is, and only that the E on their desktop makes the Internet happen. Some of them are undoubtedly ending up with Chrome without realizing it because of Google's genius "Try a faster browsing experience" or whatever it says button that shows up when you go to google.com with IE, but I can't see that happening on the majority of Windows systems like would have to happen to dethrone IE. There's just so many Windows systems out there, especially in the business world, I can't believe almost half of them have Chrome installed. But then again I guess if those machines are never really used to browse the Internet they shouldn't count towards marketshare, even if they're part of the install base.

Also seriously, Africa?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm on Firefox 31 on Linux, and for the last month or so the upload files function on imgur hasn't worked. Clicking the "browse your computer" option, which used to pop up a file selection dialog box, does nothing, and if I try the drag-and-drop option it shows a thumbnail of the image but then fails when I try to start the actual upload. Other web interfaces with file upload dialog boxes (i.e the WiFi File Explorer page my phone generates) continue to work fine.

I tried a new profile and that made the file selection dialog work again, so it's something in my profile, but I really don't want to have to recreate my profile from scratch just for this. The problem still happens if I start in safe mode, so I don't think it's an add-on. Trying to Google the problem just brings up a bunch of results for imgur add-ons which I don't want to install. Anyone have any ideas?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Milkman posted:

Have you tried just resetting your profile? It preserves history, bookmarks, cookies, etc. but clears out the behind the scenes junk.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems
...And of course today it started working again without me changing anything. But I didn't realize the reset preserved your settings, I assumed it wiped everything. I'll keep this in mind if it acts up again.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Knormal posted:

I'm on Firefox 31 on Linux, and for the last month or so the upload files function on imgur hasn't worked. Clicking the "browse your computer" option, which used to pop up a file selection dialog box, does nothing, and if I try the drag-and-drop option it shows a thumbnail of the image but then fails when I try to start the actual upload. Other web interfaces with file upload dialog boxes (i.e the WiFi File Explorer page my phone generates) continue to work fine.

I tried a new profile and that made the file selection dialog work again, so it's something in my profile, but I really don't want to have to recreate my profile from scratch just for this. The problem still happens if I start in safe mode, so I don't think it's an add-on. Trying to Google the problem just brings up a bunch of results for imgur add-ons which I don't want to install. Anyone have any ideas?
If anyone else ever encounters this problem I finally figured it out after it started happening to me on Google Drive. Imgur whatever, but I need Drive to work. Apparently the pop-up blocker functionality was silently blocking the file selection pop-up, when I enabled pop-ups for the sites in about :permissions it started working again. I dug a little further and discovered that a long time ago I had blanked out the dom.popup_allowed_events option in about :config in order to try to be stricter against pop-ups, and that's what was preventing the file selection window from appearing. Once I restored that option to the default everything worked again even if pop-ups were blocked on the site in about :permissions.

Also am I the only one who didn't know about about :about? There's a lot more about : pages then I thought.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Read posted:

Has this happened? What features?
Status bar
Customization navigation buttons
Granular Javascript control (i.e. being able to disable status text replacement without disabling Javascript entirely)
The status bar again (the "add-on bar" this time)
Customizing what shows when you open a new tab (you can make it blank with an about :config option, but you used to be able to make it load your homepage or any other page)

Probably more, but those are the ones I can remember.

Edit: The throbber

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

drunken officeparty posted:

This just happened to me today and it is terrible and is going to make me kill myself
The Menu Editor add-on doesn't like the new menu icons. You can either disable/remove Menu Editor until it gets updated (which it might not because it doesn't look like it's been touched for years) or disable the "context-..." items in Menu Editor to make them not show up.

And yes, plugin-container's been crashing a lot since version 32 for me too.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My concern with the spin-offs is that it seems like they're all done by just done small groups of people as a hobby rather than any kind of official group, so updates and the future of the project as a whole is up to their whims.

Alereon posted:

The Waterfox site is just posting the set of benchmarks they win, and presenting the data in a misleading way. If you really like the baked-in customizations that's one thing, but you're paying a performance penalty and missing out on security and stability updates.
To be fair, doesn't every browser do that?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Dark One posted:

When I try to open a locally-stored PDF document in Firefox, it brings up a dialog box prompting me to use another program. I tried pointing it at itself, but that just brings up the dialog prompt again. What am I doing wrong?
Does it work for Internet-based PDFs? What OS?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Try renaming your profile directory (C:\Users\whatever\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla to Mozilla.bak or something) so it starts with a fresh profile and see if it still happens. That'll narrow it down if it's a Firefox setting or something to do with Windows' pain-in-the-rear end file association settings. After the test just delete the new Mozilla folder it'll create and rename your original profile directory back.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mr.Radar posted:

Is there a way to revert the behavior of the location bar to how it was in 32 so it tries to resolve the single words as a domain first before going to Google? My work has a lot of internal servers which are just a single word so it's really annoying that it now tries to Google them first even when I put them in the location bar.
You can toggle keyword.enabled in about :config, but that disables URL bar searching entirely. Alternatively you can bookmark each server and set up a tag of the server name for each site, I think Firefox pulls from bookmark tags before it looks to Google. At least it used to.

natlampe posted:

Why have they decided to change the start page again? It's uglier and has a new muscle-memory breaking grid with fewer sites in it.
about :blank for life.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

api call girl posted:

Cool, Firefox 33 is doing that thing where it breaks with hardware acceleration and displays nothing in a black window. We only have thousands of machines of 3 loving models between like 4 driver revisions and it just shows up randomly on a few of them. No rhyme or reason.

Rolling everything back to 32.0.3 despite the security fixes. :sigh:
Can't you just turn off hardware acceleration on the individual machines when it show up?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

api call girl posted:

Committing to individually and indefinitely janitoring users on whichever machines manifest that problem sounds like a great use of my time. Even in a union shop I'm not going to send out this kind of make-work.
I don't know what your job is and what kind of scale you're talking about, but I would take a few 30-second-fix tickets over a full rollback to a version with known vulnerabilities, especially since unless version 34 fixes your hardware issue you're now stuck on a version with the SSL hole.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

VisAbsoluta posted:

What is the best add-on for saving videos from streaming pages in general?
I've found this one to be the most useful across the widest variety of sites, but it still can't do everything.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Read posted:

Not an addon, but very powerful. http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/
Man, that looks a lot easier than loving around with rtmpdump (which I've never managed to use correctly) and that's a really impressive list of sites it supports, I'll have to try this out. Thanks.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

wooger posted:

I mean that even without using Pentadactyl, I don't see why anyone would want a separate search bar, and when the address bar
works the same. It matches the way Chrome works too, so hardly out of the ordinary for most people.
I use it because I also use it to quickly search things on Google Images, Wikipedia, IMDB, etc. As far as I know there's no way to change which engine the address bar searches with without changing your default, and even if there is I'm like Bieeardo and I want an error if I type something wrong, not a "Did you mean...?". Not to mention those times when I want to search, say, "bread", and don't want to try to remember if it's going to search for bread or automatically go to bread.com. I prefer my address bar to just be an address bar for URL-related things, and a separate search bar for search-related things.

As for my core add-ons, two others I love that haven't been mentioned are Open Link In... and Menu Editor. Menu Editor's pretty self-explanatory, and I mostly use it to reign in other add-ons that serve a useful purpose but like to add themselves to menus all over the place. Open Link In adds a lot of options to the right-click menu on hotlinks that gives you total control over where the link opens, and is great for getting around those sites that insist on trying to make everything open in a new window.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Applebees posted:

Go to Add-ons, then Plugins, and then change the drop-down menu beside Flash to Ask to Activate.
Note that when you use this activating Flash activates every Flash movie on the page, just just the one you clicked on. Unless they've changed that in the last few versions, in which case Flashblock no longer has a purpose.

But anyway I'm not having any issues with Flashblock 1.5.18/Firefox 34.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

m2pt5 posted:

DownloadHelper is pretty good for grabbing videos and other media.

I've had better luck with the awkwardly-named Download Flash and Video for most sites, but for YouTube I use http://savedeo.com/ since it's the only thing I've found that can download the 1080p versions (though you have to manually stitch the video and audio tracks together at your end). Hopefully neither are evil.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Alereon posted:

Install Firefox to a location that doesn't require admin rights to write to? It installed to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Mozilla Firefox\ for me, and does update automatically.
That works fine if the user is available/competent enough to do the install, but then Firefox is only available to that person, and you can't do a wide deployment to users' accounts (without some kind of scripting nightmare). I would think if you gave the users write permission to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox auto-update would work, but I've never tried. Yes users could turn auto-update off, but hopefully there would be some other kind of inventory-management software that would catch machines that aren't current.

At my place we deploy Firefox with SCCM to the default install location, and because of a security policy that looks good on paper but is pretty dumb in practice we're not allowed to push out updates until they've gone through the proper change control process, which means we run on the old version for about a week after an update comes out. When I look before doing the deployment at the end of that week, despite the fact that our users aren't supposed to be able to write to Program Files somehow maybe 5% or so of the machines have gotten the new version somehow. You might try running the auto-update as a normal user and seeing if it just magically works like it does in our environment.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Celexi posted:

that unfortunately does nothing to the top bar on linux (gnome 3.x)
What system borders are you talking about? The titlebar, the edge around non-maximized windows? You're familiar with Classic Theme Restorer, right? That lets you control just about every theme element in Firefox, anything beyond that is going to be a Gnome setting. I know KDE lets you add application-specific rules for window styles, I don't know if Gnome has the same.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Xinlum posted:

Alright I fixed some more pressing issues with my computer but I still have issues with Firefox. The issue is that Firefox doesn't save cookies/auto-login. I am confident the issue came from two things I did.

1) Copied my Firefox profile folder from my old windows install because I am lazy
2) After that removing an old cookie manager program I used several years ago but forgot I had installed.

I'm guessing my issue comes from some setting or file from that cookie manager program that wasn't set back to normal after removing the add-on. I have double checked that my Firefox settings say that cookies are to be kept until they expire and I also followed the instructions on this page and went a step further by deleting cookies.sqlite.bak and cookies.sqlite.bak-rebuild

Any ideas for fixing this or am I better off backing up my bookmarks, making a note of addons installed, and reinstalling Firefox completely?
No need to reinstall Firefox, just make a backup/note of your bookmarks and add-ons like you said and try a new profile. Rename your old profile to whatever.old or something and let Firefox create a new one. It sounds like the cookie manager screwed up your profile somehow, and it's going to be way easier to just set up a new one than try to fix the old one.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Maha posted:

I think I accidentally got permanently rid of the reload/back/forward buttons on the context menu while tinkering with Menu Editor. Its "reset all" option doesn't bring them back. Is there some tweak I can do or extension I can install to get back a simple "reload" option in my context menu?
Do they come back if you uninstall Menu Editor?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Toast Museum posted:

What are some good add-ons for the mobile app? uBlock apparently works, which is great, but otherwise I'm drawing a blank.
I like Phony to spoof being a desktop browser (though their user agent strings are in desperate need of update), Save Link Menu to be able to add "Save Link As..." functionality, and QuitNow to add a quit option to the menu.

It's probably evident that I don't really like the whole "mobile browser" experience.

Edit:

Lum posted:

Here's the extensions. I have the same set of extensions on two machines, and only one of them has the issue. Both have new manually created profiles. I probably should have mentioned that in the original post.

The machine that doesn't have problems is an i7 920 @ 3.8GHz with 2x ATI6970 in crossfire, 12GB RAM and an 80GB Intel X-25M SSD.
The machine that does have the problem is a Clevo W170HR laptop with a 2.6GHz i5, nVidia 555M optimus + Intel HD3000, 4GB RAM and a 250GB Intel 330 SSD.

Not sure I want to switch from ABP if possible as I've done a lot custom element hiding stuff for an unrelated forum that has a lot of obnoxious gifs all over the place.

What does Konquefox do exactly? I'm a KDE user, but their addon page doesn't really mention anything that sounds like any kind of KDE integration. It sounds like it just adds some toolbar buttons.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 13, 2015

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lum posted:

It adds the up button and the clear address bar buttons from Konqueror. I loved those when I used KDE 3.5 and have always missed them in other browsers, which is why I still use this extension even though I'm on Windows 8.1
That sounds handy, I'll have to give it a test run. Though I don't know how they consider that "better integration with KDE and Linux".

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I wonder if it's extensions - these are mine:

You using one or more of those?
It's easy to test this by going Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled and see if performance on those sites improves any.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Do you have any tab-related add-ons installed? Does it still do it if you restart Firefox in safe mode?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Does it still happen if all your add-ons are disabled? If you right-click > view image, does the image load?

Also, consider yourself mocked for having Meghan Trainor as a recommended channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Are you on Windows?